Desperately wanted - Beta testers for my game

Guest carlosp_uk

Guest carlosp_uk

Hullo all modaco peeps!

I have ported a WinMobile game to Silverlight and I am really desperate for some beta testers – having been immersed in the project now for over 500 hours it's getting hard to see the wood for the trees.

If you're keen, the URL is www.squarepeggame.com

As an (attempt at an) incentive, I will reward useful beta testers with free copies of the game when it's released. Currently, things I would really like to know are:

- Does it load and run on your machine / browser?

- Are you able to create an account, and is your level position saved when you re-start?

- The Level Designer (this'll be the first time anybody has used it, go easy on me) what do you think?

- Comments on useability and interface.

- General bug reports (please be as specific as possible)

- Anyone have access to an Intel-based Mac? Does it run on that?

There are separate forums on the game site to post any questions/bugs, I am of course happy to reply here in this thread too, providing it doesn't get too cluttered.

Thank you in advance!

Carlos

PS: I'll soon be on the look out for paid level designers as well, if this is something that interests you, just sign up in-game as a developer (see the website for more info)

PPS: You might need Silverlight 2, but it only takes 30secs to download & install the plugin

• 3 months later...
Guest Gorskar

Hi,

gave it a whirl on my Netbook (acer aspire one - 1.6hghz atom, 1024 x 600 res, firefox, windows XP, 1GB ram)

It loaded ok, and was able to play the tutorial as far as level 9 until my browser crashed.

I think it crashed when I had the rectange on the rotator at the bottom (it had rotated to be tall)

I then added the circle to the lock

I then moved the rectange off the rotator to a position half way up the screen(ish) and it froze.

I've not managed to solve that level, but it seemed strange to me that the rectangle would carry on rotating (with the circle keyed) if it was on the rotator, but starting wide, but wouldn't rotate if it started tall?! I'm probably missing something...

Not yet tried it again, will do so later.

As an aside you should probably think about redesigning the shape of the application so it all fits into a screen only 600px high (some netbooks are only 578px high)

In firefox with no toolbars (with status bar) the usable height was about 428px on my screen

Guest carlosp_uk
Hi, gave it a whirl on my Netbook

Thanks for doing this - much appreciated! It's still in development, so all feedback really welcome.

I think it crashed when I had the rectange on the rotator at the bottom

I've been unable to replicate this crash, so I'd be interested to know if it still crashes when you try again.

As an aside you should probably think about redesigning the shape of the application so it all fits into a screen only 600px high (some netbooks are only 578px high)

Thanks for this feedback, I shall look at a re-sizable smaller version for netbooks; the app actually resizes itself to fit the DIV it's in, so shouldn't be too tricky to do this.

So, apart from that one crash, what did you think of the game in general? Did you enjoy it? Was it challenging? Would you want to play more? Would you be interested in designing your own levels for others? etc.

Carlos