GPRS not working on HP614..any suggestions

Guest spider

Ever since I got my HP 614 the GPRS functionality worked fine. I could access the Internet and download my email.

However recently it just stopped working. When I try to access the Internet or email through GPRS the display is showing that the phone is trying to access via 3G (shown by the “H”) and then it switches to “ordinary” GPRS (shown by the “G”) and the pop up messages say that the phone is trying to connect. This is done a couple of times. After this a pop messages say that “for unknown reasons no access could be obtained. Check the settings and it the problem persist the unit should be reset”

I have checked my settings a numerous of times and I am sure they are correct. Also I have let the HP iPAQ DataConnect setup the correct settings as this has helped me setting up the device the very first time and at that time it worked, but now it seems that the settings does not work anymore, though it is exactly the same settings as it was when it worked correctly.

Also I have asked my service provider if any changes has been made to my (data)service, but no they say.

Now I would like to ask you; have you ever experienced this, did you solve the problem and it yes: how. I have not yet tried to hard reset the device and I would prefer not to have to do so, so any suggestion other than that would be highly appreciated.

In addition to this, I can inform you that the WIFI works perfect and I can access both email and Internet through this connect.

So please anyone: any suggestions?

As always: Thank you in advance for all your help :)

Guest dirlan2001
Ever since I got my HP 614 the GPRS functionality worked fine. I could access the Internet and download my email.

However recently it just stopped working. When I try to access the Internet or email through GPRS the display is showing that the phone is trying to access via 3G (shown by the “H”) and then it switches to “ordinary” GPRS (shown by the “G”) and the pop up messages say that the phone is trying to connect. This is done a couple of times. After this a pop messages say that “for unknown reasons no access could be obtained. Check the settings and it the problem persist the unit should be reset”

I have checked my settings a numerous of times and I am sure they are correct. Also I have let the HP iPAQ DataConnect setup the correct settings as this has helped me setting up the device the very first time and at that time it worked, but now it seems that the settings does not work anymore, though it is exactly the same settings as it was when it worked correctly.

Also I have asked my service provider if any changes has been made to my (data)service, but no they say.

Now I would like to ask you; have you ever experienced this, did you solve the problem and it yes: how. I have not yet tried to hard reset the device and I would prefer not to have to do so, so any suggestion other than that would be highly appreciated.

In addition to this, I can inform you that the WIFI works perfect and I can access both email and Internet through this connect.

So please anyone: any suggestions?

As always: Thank you in advance for all your help :D

Hi Spider :) Still on the block as i can see ....

Did u by accident install and run Modaco's NoData.cab ? Or did u upgrade your iPAQ with the latest from HP ? The new radio (FW 0.88) is buggy as hell ... and u can't turn back to 0.72 radio :) The bug does not allow concurrent connections. Maybe u should try Schap's Configurationtool to check the state of the radio.

Cheers,

Dirk

Advanced_Configuration_Tool_v3.3.cab

Edited by dirlan2001

Hi Spider :D Still on the block as i can see ....

Did u by accident install and run Modaco's NoData.cab ? Or did u upgrade your iPAQ with the latest from HP ? The new radio (FW 0.88) is buggy as hell ... and u can't turn back to 0.72 radio :) The bug does not allow concurrent connections. Maybe u should try Schap's Configurationtool to check the state of the radio.

Cheers,

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Yep still here....and most likely will be to the rest of my days...due to the fact that I can get some really helpful input from you guys :) ;)

I haven't upgraded the new radio version. I still got the 0081-210208. But thanks for the warning. Also with my current version I know that it has worked previously. (what are HP doing about this issue..I REALLY hope they are on-going in solving the problem...or have they let us alone in the dark...again)

In regards to the NoDate.cab...I don't recall that I have installed it, but I will double check and let you know (if I have installed it previously, what to do to rectify the problem? uninstall only. And what is the symptom of failures?)

I will install Schap's Configurationtool and see if this will reveal something. I will let you know the result.

THANK YOU for you help so far. It is certainly appreciated :P

Guest dirlan2001
Hi Dirk,

Yep still here....and most likely will be to the rest of my days...due to the fact that I can get some really helpful input from you guys :D :)

I haven't upgraded the new radio version. I still got the 0081-210208. But thanks for the warning. Also with my current version I know that it has worked previously. (what are HP doing about this issue..I REALLY hope they are on-going in solving the problem...or have they let us alone in the dark...again)

In regards to the NoDate.cab...I don't recall that I have installed it, but I will double check and let you know (if I have installed it previously, what to do to rectify the problem? uninstall only. And what is the symptom of failures?)

I will install Schap's Configurationtool and see if this will reveal something. I will let you know the result.

THANK YOU for you help so far. It is certainly appreciated ;)

Hi again :)

You can uninstall NoData.cab, but it won't reset the previous settings. Therefore you need Schap's Configuration and look in the networksettings.

Apart from that, your FW 0.81 has the same bugs as the latest 0.88. The only bugfree radio was 0.77 in the original ROM. And as i said before, you can't go back ....

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest TryaPhone
Hi again :)

You can uninstall NoData.cab, but it won't reset the previous settings. Therefore you need Schap's Configuration and look in the networksettings.

Apart from that, your FW 0.81 has the same bugs as the latest 0.88. The only bugfree radio was 0.77 in the original ROM. And as i said before, you can't go back ....

Cheers,

Dirk

Hi did you check with your carrier? sometimes it may be the carrier which switch your settings to a 3G rather than 2.5 or GPRS settings

I will suggest you call their support and if it is the case

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply...got the flu, but is now back from the living dead....

Anyways

@dirlan

NoData.cab: I have not installed this so this shouldn't be a problem.

Schap Config Tool: Installed it but the GPRS etc seems to be active and everything got the correct check mark so I suppose everything is fine here as well.

Radio FW 0.81: I wonder what kind of bugs you have experienced with this version (other than the GPRS). I must admit I haven’t had any problems with it so far. Perhaps you could link to a topic if such one exists about this.

Also have you been in contact with HP about this and what do they say?

Perhaps I should try to contact them and ask what is going on, but I would first like to have you input on this radio thing..

@TryaPhone

My carrier is not much of a help I am afraid. This is due to the fact that they don’t have the HP 614 in their range, meaning that support equals zero. However I have tried to convince them that even though the OS is WinMo PRO like for example the HTC diamond they have and that it is 99.99% the same they still refuse to support me in any way. In any event, the HP 616 should be capable of thanking both 2 and 3G and I can see that it tries all possible connections when getting access to the network but without any luck…and further to that, it did work previous as well…

Guest dirlan2001
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply...got the flu, but is now back from the living dead....

Anyways

@dirlan

NoData.cab: I have not installed this so this shouldn't be a problem.

Schap Config Tool: Installed it but the GPRS etc seems to be active and everything got the correct check mark so I suppose everything is fine here as well.

Radio FW 0.81: I wonder what kind of bugs you have experienced with this version (other than the GPRS). I must admit I haven’t had any problems with it so far. Perhaps you could link to a topic if such one exists about this.

Also have you been in contact with HP about this and what do they say?

Perhaps I should try to contact them and ask what is going on, but I would first like to have you input on this radio thing..

@TryaPhone

My carrier is not much of a help I am afraid. This is due to the fact that they don’t have the HP 614 in their range, meaning that support equals zero. However I have tried to convince them that even though the OS is WinMo PRO like for example the HTC diamond they have and that it is 99.99% the same they still refuse to support me in any way. In any event, the HP 616 should be capable of thanking both 2 and 3G and I can see that it tries all possible connections when getting access to the network but without any luck…and further to that, it did work previous as well…

Hi Spider,

Look here for some radio issues. And HP did provide a solution too :(

Cheers,

Dirk

Hi Spider,

Look here for some radio issues. And HP did provide a solution too :(

Cheers,

Dirk

Thanks Dirk, some quite good info there. I will however wait until there is an official release from HP. Just fell more safe that way :P

But thanks for the info. I guess it is only a matter of time before I get a HP INFO mail about the new release B)

Guest dirlan2001
Thanks Dirk, some quite good info there. I will however wait until there is an official release from HP. Just fell more safe that way :P

But thanks for the info. I guess it is only a matter of time before I get a HP INFO mail about the new release :(

Hi Spider,

Look here , the radio FW is from HP if you must know B)

:D

Dirk

Hi Spider,

Look here , the radio FW is from HP if you must know :(

Dirk

Thanks Dirk B) I will however only get the radio version not winmo vers. 6.1 as I don't like the changes from 6 to 6.1 (who on earth decided to remove the "mark as unread" option in the SMS inbox... that's one of the parts that I don't like)

Also i would like to get a clean boot as I have some other issues that I want to get rid off.

I will look further into this very soon, until then thanks for all the great info and the great links :P

Guest dirlan2001
Thanks Dirk B) I will however only get the radio version not winmo vers. 6.1 as I don't like the changes from 6 to 6.1 (who on earth decided to remove the "mark as unread" option in the SMS inbox... that's one of the parts that I don't like)

Also i would like to get a clean boot as I have some other issues that I want to get rid off.

I will look further into this very soon, until then thanks for all the great info and the great links :P

Spider,

I almost dropped from my chair when I saw you having a problem with SMS. So I did look it up :P I guess you'll need new glasses :( ...

Start | Programs | HP Shortcuts | 8. Messaging | Text Messages | Inbox | Tap and hold any msg you want | :D depending on the state of the msg you have an option to 'Mark as unread' or 'Mark as read'...

Cheers,

Dirk

Capture.bmp

Capture001.bmp

Spider,

I almost dropped from my chair when I saw you having a problem with SMS. So I did look it up :D I guess you'll need new glasses :( ...

Start | Programs | HP Shortcuts | 8. Messaging | Text Messages | Inbox | Tap and hold any msg you want | B) depending on the state of the msg you have an option to 'Mark as unread' or 'Mark as read'...

Cheers,

Dirk

:P :D I don't hope that you broke anything after your drop :P :D

Well the fact is that on winmo 6.0 you can set the sms to unread (or read) as you state, but in winmo 6.1 this is not possible. After the sms is read, you cant set it to unread again (well perhaps after some reg. tweaking). I just checked on both my HP (running 6.0) and a HTC diamond (running 6.1) and the above is correct. Now the stupid thing is that mails can be set a unread (or read) just not sms messages....

I also recall when 6.1 was released, I read about this "feature" in the "release note"...and I was almost in chock when i read it....that is why 6.1 is not going to be installed on my device for sure...

I just hope that it will change in winmo 6.5 or at least in winmo 7

Anyway I hope this clarifies the issue :D

Guest dirlan2001
:P :D I don't hope that you broke anything after your drop :P :D

Well the fact is that on winmo 6.0 you can set the sms to unread (or read) as you state, but in winmo 6.1 this is not possible. After the sms is read, you cant set it to unread again (well perhaps after some reg. tweaking). I just checked on both my HP (running 6.0) and a HTC diamond (running 6.1) and the above is correct. Now the stupid thing is that mails can be set a unread (or read) just not sms messages....

I also recall when 6.1 was released, I read about this "feature" in the "release note"...and I was almost in chock when i read it....that is why 6.1 is not going to be installed on my device for sure...

I just hope that it will change in winmo 6.5 or at least in winmo 7

Anyway I hope this clarifies the issue :D

Spider,

I don't know if you can see it from the screenshots, but I'm running WM 6.1 on my HP :( ... So I like to know where you read about this 'feature' not being able to change the state of your SMS's.... WinMo 6.1 = CE 5.2.20757 AKU 1.4.0 , and that's the one I linked you earlier B)

Cheers,

Dirk

Spider,

I don't know if you can see it from the screenshots, but I'm running WM 6.1 on my HP :( ... So I like to know where you read about this 'feature' not being able to change the state of your SMS's.... WinMo 6.1 = CE 5.2.20757 AKU 1.4.0 , and that's the one I linked you earlier B)

Cheers,

Dirk

Dirk, this is indeed strange. I am 200% sure that I have read that SMS could not be set to unread and I am sure I read it in several reviews of version 6.1. However after searching the web I could only find information about 6.1 standard and that the standard version would not be able to set SMS to unread...I cant find information about this function in the pro version.

Anyway, I have just tried on a HTC Diamond unit which is running 6.1 pro. I sent myself a SMS and read it and now I cant set it to unread again. This is indeed strange.

I can see from you screen dumps that this is possible on your unit. But on my HTC unit both the "mark as unread" and the "mark as read" is greyed out. Unfortunately I don't have any screen dumps as I have not installed any screen capture app (it is a loan unit). Maybe it could have something to do with the version as the HTC unit is having version 5.2.1.1965 (build 19965.1.2.3) it seems that your version is newer...could that be the reason...I can not think of anything else.

@Dirk....

I just checked the GPRS connection on the HTC unit (in which I had put my SIM card from the HP device)...and guess what...the GPRS doesn't work either. I tried to go trough the step by step GPRS setup guide that my service provider has on their web site and even had them to automatically sent a setup script over SMS, and still i cant get it to work...that leads me to believe only one thing...my service provider has a problem with my data account, even though they claim they don't...so tomorrow I will confront them with the HTC device (which i know they support) and ask them if THEY can get it to work.....I know they cant...most likely they will say: you will have to hard reset your device and I will say....no way...I have the same problem with a second device...meaning that my devices most likely don't have a problem (having the exact same problem on two different devices is most unlikely) but YOU guys have a problem with MY data account...lets see what they have to say then....

In fact i am a bit excited to confront them with this issue...in any event i will keep you updated :(

@Dirk....

I just checked the GPRS connection on the HTC unit (in which I had put my SIM card from the HP device)...and guess what...the GPRS doesn't work either. I tried to go trough the step by step GPRS setup guide that my service provider has on their web site and even had them to automatically sent a setup script over SMS, and still i cant get it to work...that leads me to believe only one thing...my service provider has a problem with my data account, even though they claim they don't...so tomorrow I will confront them with the HTC device (which i know they support) and ask them if THEY can get it to work.....I know they cant...most likely they will say: you will have to hard reset your device and I will say....no way...I have the same problem with a second device...meaning that my devices most likely don't have a problem (having the exact same problem on two different devices is most unlikely) but YOU guys have a problem with MY data account...lets see what they have to say then....

In fact i am a bit excited to confront them with this issue...in any event i will keep you updated :P

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY...after about 6 months I got my GPRS to work :D .....and the problem was...TADA: A mistake made by my service provider...just as I thought... B)

Went to the shop today and told them about the issue...and just as I thought..the first answer was: your device is defect..we will have to sent it in for repair...NO WAY I said :P ..listen guys...I have tried the same SIM card on two different devices and the problem is the same...now please take MY sim card and install it in one of your phones and see what will happen...I can tell you...it wont work...they tried and sure enough...it didn’t work...they called the data service and they couldn’t find any problems...until after 15 min. suddenly they could se that a change has been made even though this should not have happened :( ...they promised me to fix it and now after a couple of hours IT WORKS...FINALLY...they guys told me that he had never experienced this before and I told him...well maybe you should listen to your customers...not all o them are as stupid as they look, and sometimes they know what they are talking about...

He also laughed when I told him I have had this problem for more than 6 months...until I told him...well if you had just listen to me the first time this wouldn’t have been a problem anyhow...funny enough he didn’t laugh anymore after that

Guest dirlan2001
FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY...after about 6 months I got my GPRS to work :D .....and the problem was...TADA: A mistake made by my service provider...just as I thought... B)

Went to the shop today and told them about the issue...and just as I thought..the first answer was: your device is defect..we will have to sent it in for repair...NO WAY I said :P ..listen guys...I have tried the same SIM card on two different devices and the problem is the same...now please take MY sim card and install it in one of your phones and see what will happen...I can tell you...it wont work...they tried and sure enough...it didn’t work...they called the data service and they couldn’t find any problems...until after 15 min. suddenly they could se that a change has been made even though this should not have happened :( ...they promised me to fix it and now after a couple of hours IT WORKS...FINALLY...they guys told me that he had never experienced this before and I told him...well maybe you should listen to your customers...not all o them are as stupid as they look, and sometimes they know what they are talking about...

He also laughed when I told him I have had this problem for more than 6 months...until I told him...well if you had just listen to me the first time this wouldn’t have been a problem anyhow...funny enough he didn’t laugh anymore after that

Hi,

Good to see that problem solved... leaves the SMS settings to be done and you're set to go :P

Dirk

BTW, I use the latest available WM 6.1 (screenshootzz :D

Capture002.bmp

Capture003.bmp

Edited by dirlan2001

Hi,

Good to see that problem solved... leaves the SMS settings to be done and you're set to go B)

:P

Dirk

BTW, I use the latest available WM 6.1 (screenshootzz :P

yes isn't it just wonderful :D

The SMS however has always worked, so that shouldn't be a problem :D

It seems that you got a version of 6.1 that is much never than on my HTC. I am sure this is the problem..that I am using an old version. Just wish that Windows would release a release note with the changes....I tried to search for one but it seems that they don't do so :(

I will see if I can ask the owner of the HTC device to allow me to update the OS, perhaps that will solve it...

Guest dirlan2001
yes isn't it just wonderful :P

The SMS however has always worked, so that shouldn't be a problem B)

It seems that you got a version of 6.1 that is much never than on my HTC. I am sure this is the problem..that I am using an old version. Just wish that Windows would release a release note with the changes....I tried to search for one but it seems that they don't do so :(

I will see if I can ask the owner of the HTC device to allow me to update the OS, perhaps that will solve it...

Hi,

Be carefull !! The version I have on my phone is specially for the 614c.. If you need (want) upgrade an HTC, better get a look at the XDA-site... they speciallize in HTC phones.

Dirk

Hi,

Be carefull !! The version I have on my phone is specially for the 614c.. If you need (want) upgrade an HTC, better get a look at the XDA-site... they speciallize in HTC phones.

:(

Dirk

Thanks for the warning. i was however just thinking of getting the official release from HTC ( I can see that they have new release on the 16 of January) just o see if that would change anything

Guest dirlan2001
Thanks for the warning. i was however just thinking of getting the official release from HTC ( I can see that they have new release on the 16 of January) just o see if that would change anything

errrr .... just found out something B) Are you by coïncidence using threaded SMS ? Cos that seems for many other ppl the reason they have some akward changes in their menus.

Dirk

errrr .... just found out something B) Are you by coïncidence using threaded SMS ? Cos that seems for many other ppl the reason they have some akward changes in their menus.

Dirk

Dirk...you might have hit the spot...Yes the HTC is using threaded SMS. Now if only I could get it not to do so I would be able to test it further. I have searched in every menu for at way of "turning off" threaded SMS but could not find any way to do so :P

Would you happen to know were it is done...perhaps it is only possible in the reg db? (If it can only be done from the reg db, would you happen to know were to find the correct "key" to "toggle" it?)

Guest dirlan2001
Dirk...you might have hit the spot...Yes the HTC is using threaded SMS. Now if only I could get it not to do so I would be able to test it further. I have searched in every menu for at way of "turning off" threaded SMS but could not find any way to do so :P

Would you happen to know were it is done...perhaps it is only possible in the reg db? (If it can only be done from the reg db, would you happen to know were to find the correct "key" to "toggle" it?)

Hi,

I wouldn't know where to go looking for these settings ... BUT :( there's a guy who knows all about it. And he did make a little nifty proggie to toggle whatever you want....

B)

Dirk

Advanced_Configuration_Tool_v3.3.cab

ahh that nice tool again B)

I just checked the facility on my HP (running 6.0) and sure the "disable threaded SMS" is there alright (though of course it is only for 6.1) but I will install it on the HTC (running 6.1) and let you know the result :(