The Dark Side

Guest Dr Who

Having had my Vario II for two and a half years I could bear it no longer. I wanted a Touch HD, but my deal on TMob is far too sweet for me to leave and they have showed no sign of stocking the HD, and if I upgrade with TMob I will be locked into an 18 month contract again, and the Vario IV looks nice, but its not the Touch HD.

So, the upshot is I have been considering a cheap SIM free handset, since in reality I no longer have the time to pimp about with my phone and only use it to make the occasional call, infrequent text, rare email, very rare interent, but do use the calendar function to ensure I turn up where I am meant to be, at least on the correct day.

Rather by mistake I have bought a new N82 from ebay - I put in a relatively low bid, not expecting to get it, and then won. Not *strictly* new - its clearly an insurance replacement and the battery isn't new, but hey, it was a third the retail price of a new handset.

So the question is - what the heck do I do with it now! Anyone got any advice on how to actually use the thing. I am coming from a touch screen WinMo device to non-touch symbian and my mind is bent. I haven't investigated much, but what is the calendar sync with Outlook like? Do I need an alternative PIM application? Have I made an horrendous error????

Guest awarner (MVP)

From memory you need the Nokia data suite but I remember reading about a version of avctivesync but only for exchange servers.

Thing with the nokia they do seem to throw them at you contract wise so I know a lot of people with them, but none of them use the device fto its full and only really use it for calls and SMS.

Also because it came packaged with the device you get a bit tired of hearing them play Spiderman 3 agin and agin and again.......

Guest Dark Horse

You'll need to download the Nokia PC Suite that will let you sync the contacts, notes, emails and appointments with Outlook. PC Suite will also let you backup SMS, send a text message from your PC, install and manage apps and use your moby as a modem if required. It can sync over USB as well as Bluetooth or infrared if you don't have the data cable and works quite well, certainly a lot more powerful and less buggy than ActiveSync.

The N82 has a built in GPS so you could always use it with Google Maps (or Nokia Maps if it's installed) as a Sat Nav. Hundreds of apps and games available for it too that you can download for free from the right websites :)

The Nokia's have always been great for multimedia so you might like to mess around with the TV-out for photo's and videos that lets you connect the handset to a TV.

Or you could just stick it back on eBay and make a few quid on it :D

Thanks for the input chaps.

Have now picked up the data cable, TV-Out and headset, all genuine Nokia for a tenner in total which would have cost £50+ from the Nokia shop, from a company on Amazon called Accessory-Shop (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&me=A1YN6NMXJS8G5W) - would recommend them, cheap and ordered on Thursday, turned up Saturday.

Sadly my memory cards that I have had for the last three years are all b0rked, so I have just had to order a new 8Gb card.

I have to wait until I get into work to try the Nokia suite because I don't have the PIM data on my home computers. One thing I AM interested in is getting my itunes library transferred onto my phone once my memory card turns up. Anyone know how I can do this and keep the song names intact? Most of the songs are in .aac format unfortunately and my previous experience of simply copying the library to a device meant I was playing track WMDNSSJSS on album RFFDHG66TT or somesuch.

Going to try the GPS on a short journey today - seems I have a 90-day trial licence. This is the function I am most excited by.

Frankly I am surprised at the size of the N82 - its very similar to my old Vario II, although much lighter and it feels much smaller. Finding it hard to get used to losing my QWERTY keyboard and the lack of touch is weird. Also, trying to find a VPN client to allow me to connect to the wireless at work - they provide one for WinMo but not for Symbian.

Guest Dark Horse
One thing I AM interested in is getting my itunes library transferred onto my phone once my memory card turns up. Anyone know how I can do this and keep the song names intact? Most of the songs are in .aac format unfortunately and my previous experience of simply copying the library to a device meant I was playing track WMDNSSJSS on album RFFDHG66TT or somesuch.

Take a look at http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4632064 for transferring from iTunes to Nokia handsets.

Take a look at http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4632064 for transferring from iTunes to Nokia handsets.

Cheers Dark Horse, that looks like the ticket.

BTW tried the turn by turn navigation on the phone and it was pretty impressive - it seemed more accurate than the dedicated satnav units I have rented from car hire companies!

• 1 month later...
Guest dolphinsmile

Thanks for this link.

Dark horse maybe you can help with my N82 and PC Suite.

My first n82 worked really well with PC Suite but I dropped it and got a replacment but the second phone didn't ever connect using the USB cable so it went back the third phone still will not connect using the USB Cable.

I have tried many methods to make the connection using USB but nothing seems to work.

Should I reinstall PC Suite or can you suggest another method?

Hope you can help, Regards, DS.

Guest Dark Horse
Thanks for this link.

Dark horse maybe you can help with my N82 and PC Suite.

My first n82 worked really well with PC Suite but I dropped it and got a replacment but the second phone didn't ever connect using the USB cable so it went back the third phone still will not connect using the USB Cable.

I have tried many methods to make the connection using USB but nothing seems to work.

Should I reinstall PC Suite or can you suggest another method?

Hope you can help, Regards, DS.

Try starting PC Suite and following the "Get Connected" procedure again, that should work B)