OmniaTMC brings TMC to your, er, Omnia!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul
omniatmc.png
Do you have a Samsung Omnia and a TMC ready navigation application (e.g. iGo)?

If so, then you'll be interested in OmniaTMC Beta 2, which adds TMC functionality to the Omnia's FM tuner chip!

TMC (short for 'Traffic Message Channel') is described here in detail, but in a nutshell it allows unconnected devices to receive traffic information over-the-air via conventional FM radio signals (e.g. TMC in the UK is broadcast via Classic FM). It's implemented already in a lot of in-car navigation units, and is often implemented via additional hardware addons for PNAs such as TomTom units.

Created by user 'BeamRider', OmniaTMC is installed via a CAB file and includes a thorough PDF document detailing installation and operation, excerpts from which are below...

The aim of this tool is to enable TMC navigation by using the internal FM Radio tuner chip as RDS source and then emulate a GPS/TMC with a virtual serial port.

This software is intended for the use with Samsung i900 Omnia only, the use on different devices is not supported in any way.

How to install

Prerequisites:

• this package should work with any firmware version, but Samsung FM Radio tuner compatibility is not assured outside HJ3 up to IA5 firmware version

• Microsoft WM SDK privileged developer certificates need to be installed before installing OmniaTMC. This package is distributed by Microsoft with WM SDK but it is also available on the web from various other sources.

OmniaTMC test and configuration tool

OmniaTMCsetup.exe is a test and configuration tool for AdvFMDriver and TMCSerial. It allows to test AdvFMRadio behaviour and to configure parameters for TMCSerial.

This is definitely one of the most exciting and accomplished community based development efforts i've seen in a long time, so hats off to BeamRider for his work!

If you have an Omnia, you're feeling brave and you want to check out his work, head on over to the discussion thread in our Omnia area! :D

P

Guest KingKoresh
Is this any of use to UK users?

Absolutely! Classic FM transmits TMC data and its amazing to watch the TMC info come streaming in. A click on the info makes IGO take you straight to that part of the map.

Hats off to Beamrider!

Guest flyke

Very interesting but I have a burning question:

If it's via the intern FM radio,

doesn't that mean you will have to plug in your headphones (as an antenna) in order to receive the tmc data ?

This is a problem because then you couldn't use your car charger while using you navigation software (iGo). And without charger, your battery drains very quick while using navigation software.

Guest gemx
Very interesting but I have a burning question:

If it's via the intern FM radio,

doesn't that mean you will have to plug in your headphones (as an antenna) in order to receive the tmc data ?

This is a problem because then you couldn't use your car charger while using you navigation software (iGo). And without charger, your battery drains very quick while using navigation software.

That's why there is also a discussion inside this thread about how to modify your car charger :D

Basically you need a 3rd party car charger where you can open the plug that goes in the Omnia.

2 Pins (GND and Antenna) are soldered together which prevents reception.

You "only" have to remove the bridge between these 2 pins and solder a seperate cable to the antenna pin.

BeamRider patched the FM radio driver so that it will also work if no headset is connected.

Guest Shuflie

Doesn't one of the HTC adapters allow headsets and power to be applied at the same time? I'm sure I've seen that somewhere.

EDIT: I knew I'd seen it. Here it is.

Just realised you were talking about the Omnia :D . I'm surprised Samsung haven't come up with something similar though.

Edited by Shuflie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Irrawadi

Hi, all friend in here!

I hope all of you can help me some problem with my Pocket PC (Omnia i 900).

Really that I want to install our National Font in to my Omnia but when I install font to directory: My device/windows/font , that font is start running as general font in my omnia and changed all languages from all English to the new font that I installed.

Sorry my English is not good

Hope that you can help me

Irrawadi

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fleshie
Doesn't one of the HTC adapters allow headsets and power to be applied at the same time? I'm sure I've seen that somewhere.

EDIT: I knew I'd seen it. Here it is.

Just realised you were talking about the Omnia :D . I'm surprised Samsung haven't come up with something similar though.

They have ;) But you can't get it in regular stores.

Omnia Multi-Adapter

Guest gazbake27

does anyone know where i can get the sckcerts for the advfmr, tried google to no avail, and also tried link, which is dead,can anyone help? really need to try and get the tmc working in igo8 on my omnia 1900

cheers gazbake

• 2 months later...
Guest MichelVromen

Hi, just installed and it seems to work. However, in Navigon the Traffic indicator is still inactive, like it does not recognize TMC. Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Guest MichelVromen

Hi, just installed and it seems to work. However, in Navigon the Traffic indicator is still inactive, like it does not recognize TMC. Any suggestion?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

For the last few months - i can't use my FM radio.

In the past - it worked perfectly, but from some rom onward - it just stopped.

I tried different roms, even downgrading to the formal Samsung one - but nothing.

I've tried different headset - all of them are fine, except that there is no any station in my radio. i.e it's working - but i can't find any station!

The weird thing is that sometimes - i can get hardly one station (in a bad quality) and in the next scanning - nothing.

I've tried different FM radio cabs, i've tried to delete OmniaTMC file from my GPS software but nothing...

It seems that something overruled my FM receiver and interrupt it from working - but i have no idea why.

Please guys - if you know any solution - please share, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest holowman
Hi Guys

For the last few months - i can't use my FM radio.

In the past - it worked perfectly, but from some rom onward - it just stopped.

I tried different roms, even downgrading to the formal Samsung one - but nothing.

I've tried different headset - all of them are fine, except that there is no any station in my radio. i.e it's working - but i can't find any station!

The weird thing is that sometimes - i can get hardly one station (in a bad quality) and in the next scanning - nothing.

I've tried different FM radio cabs, i've tried to delete OmniaTMC file from my GPS software but nothing...

It seems that something overruled my FM receiver and interrupt it from working - but i have no idea why.

Please guys - if you know any solution - please share, thanks.

SAME AS YOU; I THINK FMRADIO.DLL WAS REPLACED BY ADVFMRADIO.DLL, AND THAT MAKES THINGS WORSE. FORTUNATELY FOR ME I JUST HAD TO RESET TO ORIGIN MY PHONE OMNIA II, TO RECOVER. BUT INSTALLING THE SOFTWARE NEVER WORKED, I NEVER HAD THE TMC WORKING. PS: IGO 8.3 (latest release) + OMNIA II.

• 2 years later...
Guest DrIngVa

could not get any station, autoscan/manual scan does not work. (igo)

found a station on omniatmc.

stuck on channel 87.5 no tmc signal. (igo)

any suggestions?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.