131 replies to this topic

Webreaper

Webreaper

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S3
Having tried it myself for free, I think even $0 is a bit of a rip-off. m.facebook.com (or x.facebook.com) is much better, faster and more functional.

Facebook really need to get their app out there quick!

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Agreed! It's still not even 'officially' been spoken of has it? The leaked screenshots look promising tho?

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

Webreaper

Webreaper

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
Some good new apps out this week, with the ADC2 deadline forcing them to release. In particular there's ReaderScope which looks like an excellent alternative to NewsRob (IMO the best Google Reader client out there).

Also interesting is Screebl, which is an interesting concept. Can't see it available for download yet though.

Dadical

Dadical

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:G1

Some good new apps out this week, with the ADC2 deadline forcing them to release. In particular there's ReaderScope which looks like an excellent alternative to NewsRob (IMO the best Google Reader client out there).

Also interesting is Screebl, which is an interesting concept. Can't see it available for download yet though.

Hey Webreaper. I'm the author of Screebl. Glad you like the concept! I haven't been able to release to the market yet, due to potential conflicts between the market application and the ADC2 app running simultaneously. Screebl runs as a background service, and interacts with the user via notifications. Obviously things could get confusing for judges if the app was installed twice on the same phone. This is a real bummer, as I want to get the app out there!

Anyway, if I can figure out a way to make a multiple installation scenario play nicely, I'll release to the market soon.

Webreaper

Webreaper

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Anyway, if I can figure out a way to make a multiple installation scenario play nicely, I'll release to the market soon.

Unless you're planning to charge for the app (which would be perfectly reasonable..) can you put a beta available for download on your site?

Webreaper

Webreaper

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
For those who are interested, the official Facebook client is now available on the Android Market.

JamminJP

JamminJP

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Gadgets, Cars and women :)
  • Devices:iPhone 3GS, 4S and Nexus 7
  • Twitter:@jamminjp

For those who are interested, the official Facebook client is now available on the Android Market.

seems quite nice also, Bloo aint bad either.

JasonP
ex Locust user!

dlzerocool

dlzerocool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Devices:HTC - hero

good app :) (with widget)

Edited by dlzerocool, 09 September 2009 - 12:06 AM.

Webreaper

Webreaper

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

good app :) (with widget)

It's not a bad start. My initial thoughts after a few hours of fiddling with it:

1. If you open the app with no 'net connection available, you get an unfriendly comms exception error. Would be nice to see that caught and a better message displayed.

2. The app seriously needs offline support. Everything seems to load off the 'net connection every time, which makes it slower and more unwieldy than m.facebook.com. Background update is pointless unless the information is cached. So I should be able to open the app and see everything that's cached, so I can read stuff that's already on the device while any new statuses/updates are downloaded.

3. The Widget isn't that useful; the status left/right arrows seem circular, so it's impossible to know whether you're looking at the latest updates from friends or just cycling through old ones. Would be nice to make it more intuitive. Also, the 'click to enter' status box could be smaller or an icon (since you never actually type directly into it). Unless they can do it like the Google widget, don't bother. Oh, and when the popup opens to enter your status, the keyboard should open automatically on a Magic/Hero; it's annoying to have to tap it twice to get the keyboard to come up.

4. They need to add access to the inbox/email so I can manage facebook messages (and send/receive them).

5. When I click on a friend's status I have to click again to load the comments. It's pointless and a waste of time. They should load automatically. Update: They fixed this in the release 2 days later. :)

6. If people 'like' your statuses or other posts, you can see how many people like it but not who they are. Also, the whole 'like' button area is far too big and a waste of screen estate.

7. I've got notifications enabled but haven't seen any so far. The main notifications I want are to see when people comment on my status or things I've commented on previously. I still have to rely on email notifications for that.

8. I like the ability to be able to share links and upload/take photos directly from the device. It's a shame it redirects to the mobile site to view photos.

9. Could do with contacts integration, and ideally contact info/photo sync so that I can link a contact in FB to the one in my address book and periodically or automatically sync the photo and other salient info.

Overall I think it's a good first attempt, but given the maturity of the iPhone app I'd have liked to have seen a little more in the first release from a company with 250 million members. :)

Edited by Webreaper, 14 September 2009 - 06:48 AM.

Dadical

Dadical

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hey Webreaper. I'm the author of Screebl. Glad you like the concept! I haven't been able to release to the market yet, due to potential conflicts between the market application and the ADC2 app running simultaneously. Screebl runs as a background service, and interacts with the user via notifications. Obviously things could get confusing for judges if the app was installed twice on the same phone. This is a real bummer, as I want to get the app out there!

For those interested in trying Screebl, you can find it on the Market now as "Screebl Lite". It's fully-functional, with no time limits. I will be releasing a pay version down the road with more features. Looking forward to hearing feedback!

chucky.egg

chucky.egg

Did I say that out loud?

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping
  • Devices:Desire S
  • Twitter:@chucky_egg
Screebl is genius.
I've just recently got my Hero, and have been hammering the battery, so this is just the sort of thing I need to "maximise my play time"

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
*tries out Screebl*

:)

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

chucky.egg

chucky.egg

Did I say that out loud?

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping
  • Devices:Desire S
  • Twitter:@chucky_egg
Hmm, yes, I removed it this morning.
It's a great idea, and works well most of the time, but...

Lying in bed reading the BBC News site this morning the Hero keep turning off every 15 seconds because I was holding it too vertically, and there's no Notification bar in the browser so you can't see the warning!

Posted on his forum, so maybe there's an answer, but I couldn't adjust it enough to stop it doing it.

Webreaper

Webreaper

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
So I was thinking about how good an idea Screebl is when I read about it. Until I realised a couple of days later it solves a problem which doesn't exist.

When I'm reading news on my Magic, it's impossible for me to have enough text on the screen to take longer than 20s to read it. And the act of scrolling to the next page resets the screen-off timer. Likewise, if I'm watching YouTube or BeebPlayer, it automatically keeps the screen turned on whilst the video is playing....

So I can't see when I'd actually need it!

Dadical

Dadical

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

So I was thinking about how good an idea Screebl is when I read about it. Until I realised a couple of days later it solves a problem which doesn't exist.

When I'm reading news on my Magic, it's impossible for me to have enough text on the screen to take longer than 20s to read it. And the act of scrolling to the next page resets the screen-off timer. Likewise, if I'm watching YouTube or BeebPlayer, it automatically keeps the screen turned on whilst the video is playing....

So I can't see when I'd actually need it!

There are passive tasks that don't include normal activity indications like touching the screen. That's why I wrote this for myself in the first place! For example, looking at a photo, waiting for a slow web page to load (they often render as they load, and I want to watch them). Basically any activity that doesn't itself grab a wake lock,which is many in my experience. Try it out! I find it very unobtrusive, and a more natural indicator of activity than just touching the screen.

Webreaper

Webreaper

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
Updated my original post - replaced FBook with the official client, and added a couple of others.

Dadical

Dadical

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hmm, yes, I removed it this morning.
It's a great idea, and works well most of the time, but...

Lying in bed reading the BBC News site this morning the Hero keep turning off every 15 seconds because I was holding it too vertically, and there's no Notification bar in the browser so you can't see the warning!

Posted on his forum, so maybe there's an answer, but I couldn't adjust it enough to stop it doing it.

The 1.5.x version of Screebl includes support for "inverted positions" (e.g., laying on your back in bed). Can't do anything about the lack of an icon though, as other apps can choose to hide the notification bar. I suppose that I could do some kind of audible warning, but that seems like it might just get annoying...

dino_mk

dino_mk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Devices:Pulse
Hi to all members.
This is my first post, so please can somebody send me, or tell me where I can download "AndroZip" aplication. It is free but is missing from the market, and I think is very essential software for any android phone.
Thanks

pillock

pillock

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I've had my Hero for 6 weeks now and have tried loads of apps, uninstalled quite a few too :)
Here's my must-haves....

FireWallet: Excellent financial organiser - set up all your accounts, bill reminders, recurring bills and so on. Shows graphs of where your budget is going. Had a question for the developer and got a friendly response within 3 hours.

Spotify: OK, so it's not just an app, you need the paid membership too, but having access to millions of tracks on your handset is amazing. Select your favourites for offline use to avoid hammering your data plan, or set it up to only sync over wifi if you wish, but unlike the iPhone app it'll also sync over 3G if you wish, and play in the background :D

Linda File Manager: Free, does exactly what you need it to.

Google Sky Map: An app that has made my iPhone-owning friends utter the magic words - "I wish mine did that". Wait for a clear night and wave your phone around, naming all the stars you can see. Mesmerising.

Are we doing games too? If so - Gem Miner is brilliantly addictive and uses vibrate to good effect. There are suggestions that it's a battery hog though, but that's not enough to stop me playing :D

maxm88

maxm88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Hero, Omnia, Polaris
I've found one new mast-have app named fring - that's Skype, SIP, ICQ, Google-Talk, Twitter, AIM, Yaho, MSN client with call over voip and charting. Good work with 3G/WiFi.
It's very useful for me on WM and IMHO nice work on Android.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users