Android Market - broken?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul
downloadFAIL.png
With today's launch of the new Ovi store from Nokia (which TechCrunch say is going rather less than swimmingly) it's interesting to note that not all is well on the other side of the fence in Android land!

Large numbers of users are reporting two major problems with the Android Market.

Firstly the complete disappearance of apps from the market (including wildly popular application such as the free FBook Facebook application and the paid MyBackup Pro backup application). Upon a search in the market, these apps simply don't appear, and nobody seems to know why. Over on the official Android developer support forum, developers are reporting that their apps have indeed gone AWOL (and therefore stopped receiving downloads), and the big G seem to be doing little at this time to reassure developers.

Second comes a problem (as pictured here) which seems to be affecting only some users on some devices / versions but is no less serious. In a rather bizarre kind of way, some Market servers almost seem to have got out of sync. Users are unable to download some free or purchased applications because the Market front end version information mismatches what is actually on the server - therefore when the client tries to download the application, it gets a 404 and the feared ' Download Unsuccessful' message appears. I personally am experiencing this right now on my stock Vodafone HTC Magic, trying to download the Record It application I purchased! The thread about this problem on the official Android developer support forum has 101 replies at the time of writing but again, no resolution. Note the version numbers mismatch in the image below!

Are you experiencing either of these issues? Reply here!

P

D/DownloadManager( 3626): http error 404 for download 21
I/vending ( 3253): com.android.vending.AssetDownloader$DownloadManagerBroadcastReceiver.getDownloadStatus(): Unexpected status from download - 404

recordit.pngunsuccessful.pngmybackup.png

Guest Webreaper

Does this explain why FBook and BeebPlayer have disappeared?

There's been an ongoing bug for ages where downloads refuse to start.

On a (possibly unrelated) note, today I downloaded the update to Greed which I bought the full version of last week. When I downloaded it, the market app showed the message "authorising credit card" before starting the download, giving the impression that another payment was being taken for an app which I've already bought. I've yet to check my bank to see if a payment was taken, but it makes me nervous.

Guest Paul

I've noticed this 'Authorizing Credit Card' on subsequent downloads too but - touch wood - only one payment ever taken to date per app...

P

Guest Paul
Does this explain why FBook and BeebPlayer have disappeared?

I suspect so!

Didn't realise Beebplayer was one of 'the missing' too (as I already have it installed)...

P

• 10 months later...
Guest FenriZ

This problem has arisen now for me too!

Still no answers from Google in any of the Help Forum threads there. :huh:

Anyone here knows a solution?

I will contact htc support and ask them, too.

I had already bought a Desire and thought it was a device problem so returned it, but now my Hero is not working anymore either...

Cant believe the problem exists for a year and Google have not responded as of yet... :P :blink: :o

Guest FenriZ
This problem has arisen now for me too!

Still no answers from Google in any of the Help Forum threads there. :huh:

Anyone here knows a solution?

I will contact htc support and ask them, too.

I had already bought a Desire and thought it was a device problem so returned it, but now my Hero is not working anymore either...

Cant believe the problem exists for a year and Google have not responded as of yet... :P :blink: :o

Lots and lots and lots of reports coming in from all over the world: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Andr...d22ee&hl=en

Edited by FenriZ

Guest sja360

i have found the download unsuccessful does seem to happen every day or two (i download and remove apps alot >_>)

i then have realised going into recovery mode and repairing the sd ext partition and fixing apk packages sorts it out... i think its possible to do with the fact we're storing it on the SD card is why it doesnt always download successfully.

I havent experienced any problem finding software however.

Edited by sja360

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.