Data Tariffs

Guest gingerprince

Guest gingerprince

Hi

I've been labouring using my HTC Hermes (T-Mobile MDA Vario II) for far too long now, as I extended my contract. Contract expires in about a month so I'm lookup to get me a Touch Pro 2.

At the moment I'm on a web-n-walk tariff with T-Mobile (they were the only HSDPA provider at the time), but to get a decent deal I think I'm going to have to end up swapping to a new provider (so that I can keep my number - I don't believe you can transfer your number between contracts on the same provider?).

So, what's the current state of play with the others, orange, o2, vodafone etc in terms of mobile data provision? Are they all up to scratch these days, or are there any to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Guest RickDawson

you can keep your number, whatever you want to do.

been on PAYG and contracts over the years.

Orange > O2 > T-mobile

Had the same number all the time.

I went from O2 contract, to t-mobile PAYG then to t-mobile contract.

Retentions said they could change my account to any current tariff / PAYG

Guest Neil5459
Hi

I've been labouring using my HTC Hermes (T-Mobile MDA Vario II) for far too long now, as I extended my contract. Contract expires in about a month so I'm lookup to get me a Touch Pro 2.

At the moment I'm on a web-n-walk tariff with T-Mobile (they were the only HSDPA provider at the time), but to get a decent deal I think I'm going to have to end up swapping to a new provider (so that I can keep my number - I don't believe you can transfer your number between contracts on the same provider?).

So, what's the current state of play with the others, orange, o2, vodafone etc in terms of mobile data provision? Are they all up to scratch these days, or are there any to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to stay with T-Mobile, then you should be able to get a good deal, but you will need to speak to retentions, not the normal customer services. You can't port your current TM contract number to a new TM contract, but you can port between prepay and postpay services with the same provider. If you are on the 2nd term of your contract, you should be able to persuade them to do a good deal, but wait till the contract has actually expired. You may not get the deal you want on a brand new model, so may have to wait a month or 2 further for a Vario5 (TP2) after it is launched.

Most important is to determine which operator can give the best coverage where you use the phone the most- no good going to the best deal if theres no service!

With regard to data, O2, Voda and Orange all have a cap of 500MB per month on mobile data bundles. TM and 3 have a 1GB cap and TM have increased caps on their enhanced services.

Guest psionandy
With regard to data, O2, Voda and Orange all have a cap of 500MB per month on mobile data bundles. TM and 3 have a 1GB cap and TM have increased caps on their enhanced services.

O2 don't actually have a stated limit on their pay monthly data bundle, although the T&C's do prohibit the use for streaming media

Its also worth reading the T&Cs... Orange and Voda can charge you if you go over your cap (and may charge per mb!)

TM and O2 will ask you to reduce your usage if you go over, and may ask you to move to a higher data plan.

Not sure what 3 say at the moment....

Edited by psionandy