[Project] ANDROMNiA - Android on Omnia

Guest FeLLa_

Guest klinzter
On which partition do I need to put the image files? On the EXT2 partition or on the FAT32? And if they need to be placed on the EXT2 partition, how do you acces it from Windows?

u need ext2 partition.

u can do with partition magic or similar :D

Guest renegadEE
u need ext2 partition.

u can do with partition magic or similar :D

Yes, I created an ext2 partition with Partition Manager and that worked well but I can't access that partition in Windows (that's normal). So I wonder if I need to place the Android files on the FAT partition or on the ext2 partition?

Guest shokka9
first post updated!

new since rev78:

+ SGH-i900 specific kernel based on 2.6.29 (sgh-i910 should also work) (Thx to Stefan Schmidt!!)

+ Basic battery support (no fake driver needed, but still not full detected by Android)

+ Basic touchscreen support (freezing randomly)

+ Full 128MB RAM support

+ Some buttons working (phone down (=back), volume up/down)

readme inside the package... download on first post.

i can help tomorrow cause i got to bed now ;)

Amazing work all round...this is one awesome project. Thanks guys..cant wait to get home and try this out!!

Thanks to all involved.

WELL DONE :D

Guest renegadEE

Seems like Paragon Partition Magic doesn't Mount my ext2 partition properly. I have a Ubuntu Live CD but it's an old one that doesn't work with my current PC :D

Is there a way to mount an ext2 partition in Windows (vista/7)?

Guest FeLLa_

guys... download ubuntu live cd, use gparted for making ext2 partition, use file-roller for extracting rootfs, copy the files to your sd card and you have no more problems....

edit:

all what you are doing under windows may corrupt your files/rootfs...

windows dont know what symlinks are... and you have many of these on rootfs package...

Edited by FeLLa_

Guest wouter88

My omnia is connected with USB to my mac but it seems he doesn't connect with it. I don't see the partition (SD card) in the finder.. How can i fix this?

Guest X-Ray A4T
Yes, I created an ext2 partition with Partition Manager and that worked well but I can't access that partition in Windows (that's normal). So I wonder if I need to place the Android files on the FAT partition or on the ext2 partition?

Ok, this is how you do it. get the 25MB file from the links off this page.

copy the haret.exe, default.txt and image files to a folder on you phone, I used a folder on My Storage.

I then set my SD card as the USB mass storage device.

I removed the FAT partition and created the following structure:

Primary Partition of 128MB formatted as ext2

An extended Partition for the rest of the space

A FAT partition in the Extended Partition for the rest of the space.

Extract the contents of andromnia_rootfs.tar.bz2 into the ext2 partition

As I did this on my Ubuntu machine I had to make sure the files were all owned by root (should not be an issue if you run Live CD)

I then disconnected my phone from my machine and ran the haret.exe and it booted fine (takes quite long to run). You may need to reboot the phone if it does not load the first time.

The advantage of this layout is that you will still have access to the rest of your SD card via WM6 while playing with Android.

Ray

Guest X-Ray A4T
My omnia is connected with USB to my mac but it seems he doesn't connect with it. I don't see the partition (SD card) in the finder.. How can i fix this?

Have you switched to USB mass storage mode or are you sill using ActiveSync mode?

Guest wouter88

I am using USB mass storage..

Now i have used the Ubuntu Live CD and started Gparted and i am trying now to create an ext2 partition!

edit: how can i make a partition with gparted? i have started the ubuntu live cd and i have the following screen:

So he finds my sd card but i cant create a new partition..

http://www.grabup.com/uploads/c16c80791bb1...0a89.png?direct

Edited by wouter88

Guest X-Ray A4T
I am using USB mass storage..

Now i have used the Ubuntu Live CD and started Gparted and i am trying now to create an ext2 partition!

edit: how can i make a partition with gparted? i have started the ubuntu live cd and i have the following screen:

So he finds my sd card but i cant create a new partition..

http://www.grabup.com/uploads/c16c80791bb1...0a89.png?direct

You must first delete the logical partition inside the extended partition, then delete the extended partition, then create the primary partition of 128mb formatted ext2, then create the extended partiton with the rest and finally create a logical partition in the extended partition with the rest of the space formatted as fat32

This will delete everything off your SD card so backup first!

Edited by X-Ray A4T

Guest wouter88
You must first delete the logical partition inside the extended partition, then delete the extended partition, then create the primary partition of 128mb formatted ext2, then create the extended partiton with the rest and finally create a logical partition in the extended partition with the rest of the space formatted as fat32

This will delete everything off your SD card so backup first!

so the ext2 partition is not in the extended partition? I created all like you said, i shut down ubuntu and when i see on my omnia it asks to format my storage card because it cannot be read..

i have my partitions like this:

http://www.grabup.com/uploads/bfae8285d072...3748.png?direct

Edited by wouter88

Guest klinzter

u can access via windows with this explorer2fs or similar :D

im not sure, but in the sf.net have drivers to mount that.

Guest X-Ray A4T
so the ext2 partition is not in the extended partition? I created all like you said, i shut down ubuntu and when i see on my omnia it asks to format my storage card because it cannot be read..

i have my partitions like this:

http://www.grabup.com/uploads/bfae8285d072...3748.png?direct

Your partition ordering is wrong. The ext2 must be the first partition

Here is what my card looks like

post-267068-1245246965_thumb.png

Edited by X-Ray A4T

Guest wouter88
guys added new version on official site :D ;)

touch screen&buttons now work, battery partially...i mean...wow this is great :D

where can i find that?

Guest joža
where can i find that?

link this is their site, you do the same way as the previous version but be patient first time it takes like 15 min to boot LOL says sth about can't stop clock...

Edited by joža

Guest wouter88
link this is their site, you do the same way as the previous version but be patient first time it takes like 15 min to boot LOL says sth about can't stop clock...

this version is posted in the first post, rev 103.. it's the same, not?

Guest wouter88
ok got it running..finnaly

i think the magic forgotten word was SYNC

now that i have this running would really like touchscreen support

then we can just play a little with it...

you would make us all VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYY HAPPY !!!!

hehe thanks for help FELLA

I have the same problem..

kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,1)

Can someone help please

Guest renegadEE
Ok, this is how you do it. get the 25MB file from the links off this page.

copy the haret.exe, default.txt and image files to a folder on you phone, I used a folder on My Storage.

I then set my SD card as the USB mass storage device.

I removed the FAT partition and created the following structure:

Primary Partition of 128MB formatted as ext2

An extended Partition for the rest of the space

A FAT partition in the Extended Partition for the rest of the space.

Extract the contents of andromnia_rootfs.tar.bz2 into the ext2 partition

As I did this on my Ubuntu machine I had to make sure the files were all owned by root (should not be an issue if you run Live CD)

I then disconnected my phone from my machine and ran the haret.exe and it booted fine (takes quite long to run). You may need to reboot the phone if it does not load the first time.

The advantage of this layout is that you will still have access to the rest of your SD card via WM6 while playing with Android.

Ray

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate your help! I just wanted to make it work without an UBUNTU live cd but seems like there isn't an alternative so I'm downloading it right now and then I'm going to follow your steps :D

Guest Turborepu
could this be a solution for fixing a bricked omnia?

dont think so. sinxe this is being put on the storage and not the rom.