Omnia: full off bugs and worst user experience ever

Guest zappa2

Guest dwallersv
-GPS locks on in under 2 minutes most of the time around 30 seconds, with no tweaks or A-gps. Just windows mobile 6.5
Check.
-Battery life is very good for me. I've run the gps for about an hour a couple days ago and it drained maybe 30% of the battery life.
Check.
-charging connection sharing connection with audio, solution = bluetooth, with video, seems more like a novelty to me but at any rate the phone comes packaged with an adapter to plug your charger, video out, wired headset, and headphones all at the same time.
Check.

The three-way adapter is awkward, but certainly no major deficit.

-User interface, Some people dont like windows 6.1 I didnt have a problem at all with it. Windows 6.5 is really easy and I like it too. I can hit the x and ok/cancel boxes with my thumb, so i think its finger friendly enough.
Check.
-Not sure why the OP had an issue with the charger. Mine charges on anything. I bought a car charger at best buy with a multi head adapter, didn't even have the omnia listed on the devices but it works perfect.
Check. Lots of different chargers on my end, most 3rd party. Never had a problem charging, with one exception that I'll post about in its own thread.
-It's true there are very few updates, but I don't see any major issues they should devote all their time to releasing updates to all the time.
Check.
-Never had an issue browsing any media files at all. It has been perfect in that regard.
Check.
-How else would you access your storage memory? Doesn't seem like an issue to me at all. If you mean removeable memory card then that is just a false statement. You can remove the memory and plug it into a card reader.
Check.
-Don't install applications onto the windows partition, restart your phone every once in a while. Close all applications when you arent using them and it wont slow down on you.
Check.
-Call menu, like the dialer? My dialer goes into landscape. Contacts menu? That goes to landscape too. Missed call menu turns to landscape. I'm not sure what the OP means but all the items related to making calls turns to landscape for me.
Check.

In fact, the only app that doesn't go into landscape on my 6.1 Omnia is the Camera app.

This guy's smoking something.

Guest Darthlord

Forget my friend, technology wasn't made for you.

My Omnia is perfect, you guys need to learn how to treat it

Edited by Darthlord

LOL.. what a whiner..

I have used Igo8 to keep me on track driving from junction tx to houston, phone not plugged in, and it still had 40 percent battery left, after a 5 hour drive.

if programs are turning on on their own maybe you didnt set them properly, or dont know how to use the phone/lock lol.

sounds like a cryphone fanboy to me. if tweaking or configuring the phone is too much hassle you are definately in the wrong place. Winmo phones are capable in the hands of people who are willing to use them properly.

Can I have your Omnia too? 40% battery after a 5 hour drive using igo8 and not plugged in? That's some battery you have there. My Omnia however drained it's battery within a couple of hours using igo8, CamerAware and plugged into a car charger. That's if it wasn't overheating and shutting down.

I can understand some people having a go at the Omnia as it's the same old routine - a company rushing a phone to market before it is ready. They can be forgiven for software bugs as they can be fixed - hardware bugs though (such as the failure to charge when using GPS) is simply unforgiveable. The Omnia could have been a fantastic handset - but the quality control at Samsung needs to get a grip. I gave up after months of trying to get the phone to charge in the car and have since switched to the Xperia.

Just because most people are happy with their Omnias doesn't mean others can't have a whine - everyone is entitled to an opinion...it's called democracy.

Guest GoldenSpartan

I just made a 4 hour trip using Garmin and Google maps, and I did just fine, I found though If i were to open garmin first, then open google maps it locks on satellites faster, ??? But my Garmin was a bit buggy, couldent even find the Zoo we were going to... Nor could it find my hotel, thank god I had Google maps to back me up!

But I usually got a fix in less than a min and a half.

Guest necosino
Can I have your Omnia too? 40% battery after a 5 hour drive using igo8 and not plugged in? That's some battery you have there. My Omnia however drained it's battery within a couple of hours using igo8, CamerAware and plugged into a car charger. That's if it wasn't overheating and shutting down.

I can understand some people having a go at the Omnia as it's the same old routine - a company rushing a phone to market before it is ready. They can be forgiven for software bugs as they can be fixed - hardware bugs though (such as the failure to charge when using GPS) is simply unforgiveable. The Omnia could have been a fantastic handset - but the quality control at Samsung needs to get a grip. I gave up after months of trying to get the phone to charge in the car and have since switched to the Xperia.

I use a Samsung branded car charger and have driven to my friend's house on LI (a 7 hour drive) while using iGo Amigo. Battery at start: ~80%. Battery upon arrival: 100%

Go figure ;)

Heat is an issue though, but I usually just point a vent at it and it stays just fine :D

Guest thierryyy

Maybe the Omnia don't like you becouse you talk so rude about him. Be nice for your Omnia and he will be nice for you :D

Oh, and take a look at modaco, you will see much things what can make your Omnia better.

Guest ardvarkofdoom

I wonder if there is a weird charging difference between the i900 and the i910....

And why the hell do idiots buy smart phones... Especially when they ONLY want (or can only handle...) just the features on the standard crap phone

Guest necosino

To look like they have a cool phone and make themselves appear to be more intelligent? Then they realise how clueless they are, and don't know how to use google, so they get frustrated and throw the phone in the trash (My ex got my phone and had this issue, lol)

Guest Turborepu

I was surprised about the battery lasting that long on that leg of my trip, usually i would have it plugged in and the backlight always on, but it would get real hot, so i tried having it run without being plugged in, and the screen would shut off after a while.. no heat issues..

Guest davidmrrr

my only real issue with the omnia is that it seems every single one i get has broken pixels on the screen. i know its not a huge deal but it drives me out of my mind.

other than that its a great phone. the people here at modaco like wozzer adryn and blazingwolf have helped to make the phone a blast.

Guest meabigbaldguy
Go fetch yourself a nokia 3310 and a standalone tomtom!

Yeah, after that he can tape, or glue them together and he can have a true all in one device again. :D

What an uninformed fool!

Guest rcicu
Hi,

before I will smash my Omnia to the wall, I want to share the issues it has with you all:

- Crappy GPS receiver that locks only after half an hour without extensive tweaks. (or use expensive A GPS)

- Battery life of half an hour when using GPS (serious)

- Shares charging connection with audio/video data, which renders it useless for many applications. (battery dies..)

- Un-optimized Windows mobile interface, causing many unwanted programs launches etc. and uses

many small crosses and ok's to close applications / confirm stuff.

- Is very picky on what it charges on. Even gave trouble with a Samsung branded car charger!!!

- Very few official updates from Samsung.

- Buggy picture and audio file / media browser.

- Can only access memory card with usb connection to PC

- After some time phone will get very slow.

- Call menu will not turn to landscape mode.

etc. etc. etc.

In other words: if you are used to a normal phone with buttons, this phone might frustrate the hell out of you.

Please be warned.

I know that you could tweak the hell out of this phone, but I you don't want to spends days and days on this,

the phone will keep sucking big time. (after tweaking too imo)

Lately Samsung is only spending money to marketing and releases crappy phones like this.

They do not understand the meaning of a good out of the box user experience.

Bye,

zappa

Smash Away!! and get a iPhone :D I Love my Omnia!

Edited by rcicu

Guest gringo2004

Hi,

I have a big problem with my Omnia. I wanted to reboot the device, but it stoped on the green screen (windows 6.1) and nothing happened. I tried to restart it for manytimes. Nothing.

I tried to update it for windows 6.5, but now nothing happening. It's black, no reaction. Acttive Syncron can't connect it. What can I do? Please help.

Guest JoePalma
as usual the problem between the screen and the keyboard is... the man :D

I don't think this applies in this case, considering the keyboard is on the screen.

Guest zappa2

Oh yes, another unforgivable flaw:

- No proper voice dialing support! This is a must for a touch screen phone..

Try to call or anything during a (bumpy) ride in your car (phone in holder of course).... it's even dangerous to operate this phone in the car.

Got my Nokia N85 yesterday and this is a TOTALLY different experience.

> GPS works like it should (quick fix)

> Much better battery life.

> Uses standardized micro USB connector.

> Built in FM transmitter to send audio to your car stereo

> Voice dialing without the need to first record voice dialing tag.

> Standard 3.5 mm audio connector.

> Regular updates (just downloaded update from Nokia server)

> Way better support by Nokia. They even have their own A-GPS server, so you can lock on via your LAN with seconds.

> Music and Picture browser which are truly user friendly and rock stable.

In general I you say, you can accomplish the tasks 3-4 times faster with the N85

No irritating behavior. It just does what you ask.

Nokia does not release 10 phones a month, but actually pays attention to the quality and usability of their phones.

Compared to the N85, the Omnia looks like an amateurish piece of shiit.

Zapp

Edited by zappa2

Guest jenben
Oh yes, another unforgivable flaw:

- No proper voice dialing support! This is a must for a touch screen phone..

Try to call or anything during a (bumpy) ride in your car.... it's even dangerous to operate this phone in the car.

Got my Nokia N85 yesterday and this is a TOTALLY different experience.

> GPS works like it should (quick fix)

> Much better battery life.

> Uses standardized micro USB connector.

> Built in FM transmitter to send audio to your car stereo

> Voice dialing without the need to first record voice dialing tag.

> Standard 3.5 mm audio connector.

> Regular updates (just downloaded update from Nokia server)

> Way better support by Nokia. They even have their own A-GPS server, so you can lock on via your LAN with seconds.

> Music and Picture browser which are truly user friendly and rock stable.

In general I you say, you can accomplish the tasks 3-4 times faster with the N85

No irritating behavior. It just does what you ask.

Nokia does not release 10 phones a month, but actually pays attention to the quality and usability of their phones.

Compared to the N85, the Omnia looks like an amateurish piece of shiit.

Zapp

Just a couple of things the GPS on my omnia gets a lock within 15 seconds and works great.

There is voice dialing support apps for the omnia.

It's dangerous to operate ANY PHONE in your car you IDIOT

Guest necosino

The only thing I see thas has merrit is the built-in FM Transmitter. Fortunately my car has bluetooth and I am able to play music over my car stereo that way. I think in the next few years, most cars will have bluetooth (both of mine do, and my brothers does as well), all 2005 or newer models.

I get a GPS lock in under 1 minute 95% of the time.

I charge my omnia for half an hour each morning while I get ready for work, and use it pretty extensively throughout the day, and it has never died or gone below 20%

I don't really care about the standard USB Port anymore. It bugged me when I first got it, but then I realized that I never use it besides syncing and charging, so no biggy.

Omnia has voice dialing and voice command features that work perfectly.

Phone updates are up to the carrier in Verizon's case, not Samsung. Obviously Samsung has relesed at least one update, just Verizon has held it back.

Samsung is a LOT bigger than Nokia, so they have the resources to develop, test, and release more phones than Nokia.

Guest awarner (MVP)

I can't agree about voice dialing being a must?

on all the touchscreen devices I have, I have never used or intend to use voice dialing.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does not use this feature?

Guest ronaldb3

A ramble to all-

I am always amused by these people who just want a simple phone device and are freaked out by a WinMo device.

I have had a pda device for many years going back to the Ipaq 3600. I know, ancient history for some of you guys.

I got a converged device so I would not have to keep carrying two devices around, and sometimes forgetting one at home. I guess some of you don't remember doing that either. Almost never forget it now, because when I remember to grab one, I have both.

I am happy to have a device with WM 6.5 that I use for a GPS, BT wireless music player, Wifi internet connection, ebook reader, carrying apps like my tv listings and docs for Word and Excel. Even sync with Quicken. It replaces my old Franklin paper planner with pim. (And Shush- I sometimes play Solitaire or Sudoku :D ) And all the other little apps like calculators, converter, and I can't remember the other 23 things.

Oh, and it just happens to have a phone in it that actually works pretty well. (Did have to add Voice Command which they forgot to put in.)

And the plethora of cooked roms to dig into. And the good guys in the Omnia forum to help you out. What more could a techno-geek want??? ;)

IMHO,

Ron...

Edited by ronaldb3

Guest Tim-H
I can't agree about voice dialing being a must?

on all the touchscreen devices I have, I have never used or intend to use voice dialing.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does not use this feature?

I never use it. I did a total of 2 or 3 times before the novelty wore off, on my vx6000, 6 years ago.