Linux on Samsung Omnia

Guest fladna9

Guest dragracekid

I'm looking at neopwn or if it were possible even backtrack, but I dont have the skills to try backtrack and dont have the money to try neopwn so I think im out of luck.

Guest ErGo_404

MID actually stands for "Mobile Internet Device". It refers to devices that are actually more powerfull than the Omnia (and a bit taller as well).

I don't think that it would be interesting to use any version of Ubuntu, as they are not optimized for our screen size.

Maybe we should try to install a minimalistic Linux and a lightweight desktop manager and then build our own UI on it. Maybe not ^^

The point is that it would make a nice PDA, but with no phone, thus it would be quite useless for most of us.. I'd still love to see Linux on the Omnia. Not that I'm a Linux addict, but I'm getting bored of WinMo's UIs.

Guest fladna9

Hi guys !

I know, I didn't post any ... post since a long time. But I've got two problems :

-> A new framebuffer driver makes the touchscreen "uncalibrated" and I can't do anything with that... Waiting a fix from andromnia's kernel or i will try to fix it myself

-> Currently, I don't have time, but I promise I will post some feedback when i have time

and the last ->

-> I've changed my laptop ^^ so Linux is not installed with all packages i need.

Sorry for my impoliteness, i didn't realize that many of you where interested.

Oh, and before I forget, stop asking for MID Linux : It will not run (even if you use a baseball bat^^) because Omnia don't have the system requirement.

Thanks, and see you soon on this topic.

Guest finaldestiny
Hi guys !

I know, I didn't post any ... post since a long time. But I've got two problems :

-> A new framebuffer driver makes the touchscreen "uncalibrated" and I can't do anything with that... Waiting a fix from andromnia's kernel or i will try to fix it myself

-> Currently, I don't have time, but I promise I will post some feedback when i have time

and the last ->

-> I've changed my laptop ^^ so Linux is not installed with all packages i need.

Sorry for my impoliteness, i didn't realize that many of you where interested.

Oh, and before I forget, stop asking for MID Linux : It will not run (even if you use a baseball bat^^) because Omnia don't have the system requirement.

Thanks, and see you soon on this topic.

I thought the guys working on andromnia already fixed the touchscreen issue? It's working beautifully now I hear. Nonetheless, good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest fladna9

Hello everybody !

Nice to see you again on this wonderful forum !

-> First, sorry for the looong silence from my side ( "not very polite", my mother would say ^^ yes, i'm 17 years old xD, that's why my English is far from being perfect). I was in holidays in my grand-parents' home near Narbonne, France. And they don't have a computer, internet access or even a CD player ^^. And the mobile phone don't work either, too far from antenna.

-> Second, during this "ice age of technology", of course I took my computer and my Omnia ;) and I work on the most interesting (i think) project : OmniUbuntu !

What a name, huh ?

For the ones who didn't catch this word tip, this is a mix between Omnia and ... Ubuntu !

Let me explain you : i used an old root fliesystem originaly created for Sharp Zaurus. I've customized it to have it on Omnia. The most difficult part was the touchscreen and the framebuffer as I told you before. But know it works on portrait mode. I can have Firefox 3 Beta 5 to run :) . The problem that remains is that we don't have any input yet (no virtual keyboard...) and be careful : this is not GPE, but a lightweight GPE called Lxde if i'm right.

Ho, by the way, you can put it on any partition place (/dev/sdb1-2-3-4-5, etc), it doesn't matter. So you can keep a Windows Mobile partition and put OmniUbuntu on the second partition. I also added a SWAP partition of 300MB, mounted during boot. Cool.

See OmniUbuntu in pics :

1) My today screen ;)

DSCN0326.JPG

2) the Haret folder

DSCN0328.JPG

3) Haret ready to boot my kernel

DSCN0329.JPG

4) Unreadable, but this is the booting sequence. By the way : if you unplug your µSD before umount it, it will be checked

DSCN0336.JPG

6) Touch Screen Calibrator Utility

DSCN0338.JPG

7) X11 server is loading ^^

DSCN0339.JPG

8) The desktop

DSCN0340.JPG

9) The file browser

DSCN0341.JPG

10) The start menu

DSCN0342.JPG

11) The Seven difference game : will you find them ? xD

DSCN0344.JPG

12) Guess !

DSCN0348.JPG

DSCN0349.JPG

13) The logout screen

DSCN0351.JPG

Yes, these screens are poor quality. Sorry about that.

Currently, i've installed on it :

Audio and Video : Audacious

Graphics : GPicView and xPDF

Settings : Appearance and Screensaver

System tools : PCMan File Manager and task manager

Network : Firefox 3 Beta 5 and Pidgin

Office : AbiWord and GNUmeric

Accessories : Leafpad, LXTerminal, Search, Xarchiver

Urgently To Do list :

-Fix the freezing touchscreen (freeze every 1min for 2secs)

-Landscape ?

-Install Virtual Keyboard

-Screenshot maker, or buy a GOOD CAMERA !

To Do list :

-Battery level in taskbar

-Wifi

-Phone app ?

-Bluetooth manager

-Install more programs ^^

Tomorrow (Thrusday) I will not be at home (going to Spain the morning, and at Biarritz the afternoon) so no releases before Friday (i've got a whole tutorial to write ^^)

I will respect this release date, but be careful : see this release as a "demo tech." release. NOT USEABLE because of no keyboard.

So see you tomorrow, and listening for your feelings about that thing.

fladnaG

Guest fladna9
GREAT!!!!!!

Is it bootable from My Storage if I haven't storege card??

Sorry smaury, that's not possible because the build-in Windows Mobile Connection Mode don't let you access to the entire card or storage, but only on the windows partition...

To setup any Linux distribution, you have to use a card reader, so that's not possible at this stage, sorry.

But note that OmniUbuntu requires 1,2 GO (not sure 'bout that, but not far, a 1GO card is too small) so you need a 2 GO µSD. In France, you can buy one PNY 2GO µSD Card for 13€

Edited by fladna9

Guest Soniczt3000

This message just to say... awesome work guy!

Keep going in this direction, this is an incredible project! It can be the real convergence between desktop PCs and mobile devices.

I'm so curious to see how far can you go on! :)

And thanks for sharing your experience!

Guest fladna9

Hi !

My father is ill, so I'm back sooner that i said.

I'm doing the tar.gz root filesystem right now ! I've got all the tutorial to do now (with screenshot for non-linux users), I hope I will finish tomorrow, before 16h (french hour)

Happy to see some guys that want to play with this ^^

See you soon...

Edited by fladna9

Guest smaury

Tomorrow i'll buy a Storage Card so i hope u'll release your work! If u don't....... XD

En italie on doit attendre jusqu'a 17h :-( GMT sucks!!!

SALUT!!!

P.S. In ubuntu there isn't the screen keyboard?? If i don't make a mistake there must be! Maybe it works??

Guest muhlba91

looks nice.

where can i download and how to install opie/gpe/linux?

works illume too? (if yes: how can i use it/download it?)

Edited by muhlba91

Guest fladna9
Tomorrow i'll buy a Storage Card so i hope u'll release your work! If u don't....... XD

En italie on doit attendre jusqu'a 17h :-( GMT sucks!!!

SALUT!!!

P.S. In ubuntu there isn't the screen keyboard?? If i don't make a mistake there must be! Maybe it works??

As I said, this is NOT a classic ubuntu, not the one you will find in a live cd or even after setup. GUI isn't realy the same, and it is a veeeery lightweight version. So, this is a demo if you want. Gotta work on it.

To muhlba (sorry, multiquotes don't work ^^) :

currently i've got four projects : OPIE, GPE, ILLUME/E11 and UBUNTU. i'm solo on this project, so i don't have a choice, i've got to choose now.

As I already said, I'm very happy to see that some are interested in this project.

Edited by fladna9

Guest fladna9
Great job fladna9. Keep forward

btw, bon et prompt rétablissement pour ton père.

Merci ^^

Et c'est parti ! I'm doing the tutorial.

Edited by fladna9

Guest fladna9

Hi guys !

I have finished tutorial and root file system tar.gz. Ouf !

Now, I'm doing tha CAB file for HARET. Last part (and the easier part :D )

But i've got a big problem : my website has a limited traffic of 1GB per month. And I'm already at 500MB. And the rootfs file is 200MB. So I can't post it on my Website. So i'm uploading it on MegaUpload ^^ and i'm trying to create a Sourceforge page : https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxomnia/

Edited by fladna9

Guest fladna9
where is download link ?

thanks

Currently I'm uploading. It takes some times, because i'm in France and the servers are in America. I'm also uploading on three sites at he same time.

I'm trying to be as fast as I can.

I'll post a reply when a upload is ok.

The first that will finish is MegaUpload in approximatly 15 minutes. So I'm like the trains, I'm a little late, I know. And I'm working on this release itself since this morning.

Don't worry, you will play with it soon.

Oh, by the way, I rotated the screen to the right. Now you will have a better view of the windows ...

Guest fladna9

And.... Here we are ! FIIIIIRST RELEASE !

--------------------------------------------

OmniUbuntu version 0.0.3public

--------------------------------------------

INFORMATIONS :

Demonstration version xD. Not at all usable for today's uses. All on this version is light. so, please, be indulgent. And sent me feedback here or on my email

admin<(i hate spam)at>fladnag<dot>net

I highly recommend that EVERYBODY read the How To. That's not at all the same setup that andromnia. ^^

By the way I'm going to open a blog, where you'll see the progress of my work.

Link : http://blog.fladnag.net :D

Last thing : don't use the Andromnia kernel : it will not work (the touchscreen, of course)

Download : Here :angry:

Edited by fladna9