Does Omnia II solve Omnia's problems?

Guest ronzo77

As an Omnia user, I have experienced some issues that I hope can be resolved on the Omnia II. Please contribute any known issues and I'll add them to the list. Please note issues are related to the device not WinMo, and no software workaround.

1. Can't see screen in bright daylight

From PPCSG forum: Reported still having difficulty viewing under direct sunlight.

From lantony: AMOLED fixes issue.

Might be subject to user perspective!

2. My Storage folder disappears.

3. Camera cannot save Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness settings.

From FerdiBorbon: Omnia 2 saves Camera Settings.

4. Memory management for internet cache/cookies/attachments or larger device memory.

5. Touch Player buggy.

From FerdiBorbon: Touch Player appears more stable, no instance of storage corruption from updating files. Includes SRS WOW.

6. Touchscreen/digitizer issues - early batch not sensitive, some replacements become less sensitive over time.

From PPCSG forum: Reported much better than Omnia.

7. 3 second ring tone delay.

From PPCSG forum: Reported still having 3 second delay, a Samsung 'feature'.

From FerdiBorbon: Solution found from registry tweak, according to PPCSG forum.

8. When WiFi enabled, phone sometimes cannot recover from suspended state, get BSOD.

New issues:

1. Omnia II currently does not feature threaded SMS out of the box.

2. No D-pad. <- Is cube a D-pad??

3. Coreplayer / TCPMP lagging on current ROM.

Edited by ronzo77

Guest La Traviata

The issue I would like to see addressed most (apart from being able to see the screen in sunlight) is memory management, i.e. internet cache, cookies, message attachments and so on defaulting to the main device memory and needing registry tweaks to redirect them to storage card. This should be easier to change or not necessary at all (i.e. main device memory should be bigger).

I'm also curious about the touch player in terms of improved usability and file formats supported. It certainly looks good in the Omnia II preview, but in Omnia I it created many problems for me, from randomly not recognising album art to creating duplicate files, so I never used it.

Edited by La Traviata

Guest ronzo77
The issue I would like to see addressed most (apart from being able to see the screen in sunlight) is memory management, i.e. internet cache, cookies, message attachments and so on defaulting to the main device memory and needing registry tweaks to redirect them to storage card. This should be easier to change or not necessary at all (i.e. main device memory should be bigger).

I'm also curious about the touch player in terms of improved usability and file formats supported. It certainly looks good in the Omnia II preview, but in Omnia I it created many problems for me, from randomly not recognising album art to creating duplicate files, so I never used it.

Thanks, I've added your comments to the list. Hope to see how many of this might be resolved, it'll help Omnia owners decide whether to upgrade to an Omnia II or something else.

Guest whitj

I am also very hopeful for the Omnia 2, and would like to add a problem or two that I would love to see addressed when it finally comes out.

Sometimes the xt9 autocorrect is just screwy as hell, autocorrecting or autocompleting words that I OBVIOUSLY never intended on typing, perhaps due to there being no "frequence of use" value attributed to the words in the dictionary? It's not always that big of a deal, but combining that with the lag in between button presses makes the full keyboard mode unusable for me. I use xt9 phonepad for 90% of my messaging needs, I just wish I didn't have to.

Guest Majorair32

What rom's are you all using? Other than screen brightness on the omnia. I dont have any issues with wm6.5 build 230004 Sounds like you need to flash to wm6.5

Guest ronzo77
What rom's are you all using? Other than screen brightness on the omnia. I dont have any issues with wm6.5 build 230004 Sounds like you need to flash to wm6.5

Interesting. I'm on QB06M DXIA5. Can you comment on these issues with the wm6.5 rom?

6. Touchscreen/digitizer issues - early batch not sensitive, some replacements become less sensitive over time. (this should be a hardware problem as per the sticky on i900 forum)

Guest La Traviata

I'm on a standard Vodafone UK rom.

I know you can solve some of the problems mentioned by flashing to a custom rom, but many of these shortcomings are basic issues to do with setup and software that affect everyday use of the phone. For example, you don't have to be a heavy or sophisticated user to quickly run out of memory and you shouldn't have to tweak the registry or flash to a custom rom just to get your phone to work in an acceptable way.

Guest Tim-H

We are on the i910, most of the initial issues with the i900 were fixed. It may have been at Verizon's request that they work them out, or it could be the minor hardware differences that we have.

Guest FerdiBorbon

Ok my thoughts on the Omnia II so far after using it for a couple of hours...the screen is definately the big win here .5" extra is a huge difference, typing with both thumbs got ALOT easier due to the extra space, also the Amoled is BEAUTIFUL like seriously the colors just really pop out double resolution just looks bliss...overall normal tasks i do on my old Omnia is faster on the i8000, the Touchwiz 2.0 is great too everything is basically finger friendly now, you only see maybe 10% of old winmo ui...

Things i miss from the old Omnia and problems thats still around.

The D pad is gone ;) Threaded sms is gone :D . 3 second ring delay is still there :), watching movies using Coreplayer or Tcpmp have lost performance, its very laggy, using the same bitrate with higher resolution has lost smooth playback... i wonder why this is, when now it has a faster CPU also a dedicated 3d accelerator :o

Also old apps i had on the Omnia does work with the i8000, like Smschat, youtube, etc

Overall i think this phone is really a worthy upgrade from the original Omnia!

Hope more people can get their hands on it so i can get more support, and hopefully samsung is working on a firmware upgrade to tweak somethings here...but a good 1st release none the less..

Edited by FerdiBorbon

Guest shokka9
Ok my thoughts on the Omnia II so far after using it for a couple of hours...the screen is definately the big win here .5" extra is a huge difference, typing with both thumbs got ALOT easier due to the extra space, also the Amoled is BEAUTIFUL like seriously the colors just really pop out double resolution just looks bliss...overall normal tasks i do on my old Omnia is faster on the i8000, the Touchwiz 2.0 is great too everything is basically finger friendly now, you only see maybe 10% of old winmo ui...

Things i miss from the old Omnia and problems thats still around.

The D pad is gone :) Threaded sms is gone :o . 3 second ring delay is still there :D , watching movies using Coreplayer or Tcpmp have lost performance, its very laggy, using the same bitrate with higher resolution has lost smooth playback... i wonder why this is, when now it has a faster CPU also a dedicated 3d accelerator :D

Also old apps i had on the Omnia does work with the i8000, like Smschat, youtube, etc

Hope more people can get their hands on it so i can get more support, and hopefully samsung is working on a firmware upgrade to tweak somethings here...but a good 1st release none the less..

Good work ferdiborbon

I not got one, and probably wont for a little while (if i get one at all). I would love to cook for it. I think the lag in Coreplayer is due to the build of the ROM, when i first got my Omnia I, when i used CorePlayer it lagged. As soon as i flashed a custom ROM, the lag disappeared and i have never seen it again.

When ROMs start coming out, then expect custom ones. Then we can still get rid of a lost of useless stuff in the build. I like what they have done with WinMo interface, like you say you hardly get to see WinMo...so that would be sweet.

I really want one....;)

I willl be keeping up with the reviews, issues, etc etc with Omnia II...need to really :D

Laters

Guest ronzo77

Thanks for your comments, I've added some to first post.

Does camera save settings?

Guest FerdiBorbon
Thanks for your comments, I've added some to first post.

Does camera save settings?

Ok Thanks you can update the 1st post again,

thanks to PPCSG the 3 second ring delay is fixed with a simple registry value change..

Touchplayer alot better than previous omnia, it does not corrupt main storage when scanning and updating new audio/video files.

Also it includes SRS WOW HD as an audio enhancement option when viewing movies or listening to music..

(im still trying to figure how to enable this for an alternative audio app)

Another issue with touchplayer it complains when trying to open a file with a 800x480 native res, and says it should be 720x472

Coreplayer or Tcpmp has no issues opening the native res...but as mentioned above choppy playback though ;)

Camera saves all settings including contrast/sat/sharp :)

Guest Quist09

On my i900 I got tired of the low resolution and the slow camera, although the Touch HD was far slower in taking stills. Now I'm on the i8910 and the camera is lightning fast and high quality, but I really miss WINMO. How is the camera? Especially in terms of speed?

Guest lantony

From PPCSG forum: Reported still having difficulty viewing under direct sunlight.

5. Touch Player buggy.

6. Touchscreen/digitizer issues - early batch not sensitive, some replacements become less sensitive over time.

8. When WiFi enabled, phone sometimes cannot recover from suspended state, get BSOD.

--- No D-pad.

I have an omnia i900 and i can tell u that:

1 this issue has been solved with the new AMOLED screens (like the one in the new omnia2)

2 never happened to me or all my friends, it's a problem with your phone/rom

5 never used touchplayer, s2p and coreplayer are so much better

6 this can be easly solved replacing your digizer, u probably have the old one not sensitive. U can solve this issue with 14$ reading the thread "how to mount a new touch screen on omnia"

have a look to my video:

8 never happened to me using skyfire

--- No D-pad? i knew that the cube on Omnia II, works like a Dpad.....

Edited by lantony

Guest La Traviata

Supporting more file formats is one thing, but you shouldn't have to install a 3rd party music player on an advanced phone like Omnia just because the built in player has design faults that make it close to unusable. Which was the problem with TP on i900, but fortunately that seems to have been resolved on i8000.

Edited by La Traviata

Guest ronzo77
1 this issue has been solved with the new AMOLED screens (like the one in the new omnia2)

Noted :)

2 never happened to me or all my friends, it's a problem with your phone/rom

I wish this was true! But I've seen too many other forum users experiencing the same thing.

I agree. But the point is there to capture what a user will experience out of the box, without having to get 3rd party apps.

6 this can be easly solved replacing your digizer, u probably have the old one not sensitive. U can solve this issue with 14$ reading the thread "how to mount a new touch screen on omnia"

have a look to my video:

I have also replaced my digitizer and it was much better ;) But again, this point is to capture out of the box experience. Knowing that I might have to replace digitizer on Omnia 2 will shift my preference to something else (like the HTC Leo or SE Rachael for instance). And if you read the lastest postings on the "How to mount..." thread, quite a few are complaining that their replacement touchscreens have become less sensitive over time.

8 never happened to me using skyfire

This issue is concerning WiFi on/off and power settings, not browser. Qbus mentioned it's a problem that even Samsung might not know how to fix.

--- No D-pad? i knew that the cube on Omnia II, works like a Dpad.....

If you can confirm the Cube works like a D-pad I'll update my first post.

Edited by ronzo77

Guest luxsteele
As an Omnia user, I have experienced some issues that I hope can be resolved on the Omnia II. Please contribute any known issues and I'll add them to the list. Please note issues are related to the device not WinMo, and no software workaround.

From lantony: AMOLED fixes issue.

Might be subject to user perspective!

From FerdiBorbon: Omnia 2 saves Camera Settings.

4. Memory management for internet cache/cookies/attachments or larger device memory.

5. Touch Player buggy.

From FerdiBorbon: Touch Player appears more stable, no instance of storage corruption from updating files. Includes SRS WOW.

From PPCSG forum: Reported still having 3 second delay, a Samsung 'feature'.

From FerdiBorbon: Solution found from registry tweak, according to PPCSG forum.

New issues:

1. Omnia II currently does not feature threaded SMS out of the box.

2. No D-pad. <- Is cube a D-pad??

3. Coreplayer / TCPMP lagging on current ROM.

I don't know if Omnia II solves all the problems of the Omnia, but certainly it has his own.

This is my list...I hope this will help someone either to postpone the purchase or to buy something else.

1) usb connector is Samsung proprietary and not mini-usb

2) When Autoluminosity is enabled the screen flickers too much for small variation of environment light

3) tomtom doesn't work without gpsgate

4) Menus are slow compared to the iphone

5) Sunlight readability is not way closer to the iphone (I was not impressed at all, it is just a little bit better than the normal omnia)

6) Integration of Touchwiz interface with windows mobile is bad (for example if you receive a message and you tap on the top of the screen you open the ugly windows mobile message interface, if you tap on the message widget you get the new Touchwiz message interface). There are many similar cases...the integration is bad, period.

7) No spellchecker in the sms.

8) Moving through the 3 main "pages" of Touchwiz interface is slow (pages move after one second touch. Is this a feature?)

9) Applets in the main screen appear very slow when changing “pages” (4 applets take 5 seconds to completely appear on the screen)

10) lateral navigation bars in menus are still there. They are ugly and not usable with fingers (for instance you can see them in the phone call interface pressing the green button)

11) cube button is not a Dpad!!

12) there is no way to disable hardware lateral buttons (useful if you have a GPS holder that laterally squeezes the device)

I have it only 24 hours and despite to the great hardware I can't start to love it because of all these issues...I'm sure I will find more "problems" in the next days. I hope the WM 6.5 update will fix some of these.

lux

Guest chokia

5) Sunlight readability is not way closer to the iphone (I was not impressed at all, it is just a little bit better than the normal omnia)

You mean Iphone's screen is better visibility under direct sunlight? even after you adjust the brightness to the fullest?

OMG! screw amoled

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
I don't know if Omnia II solves all the problems of the Omnia, but certainly it has his own.

This is my list...I hope this will help someone either to postpone the purchase or to buy something else.

2) When Autoluminosity is enabled the screen flickers too much for small variation of environment light

6) Integration of Touchwiz interface with windows mobile is bad (for example if you receive a message and you tap on the top of the screen you open the ugly windows mobile message interface, if you tap on the message widget you get the new Touchwiz message interface). There are many similar cases...the integration is bad, period.

8) Moving through the 3 main "pages" of Touchwiz interface is slow (pages move after one second touch. Is this a feature?)

9) Applets in the main screen appear very slow when changing “pages” (4 applets take 5 seconds to completely appear on the screen)

10) lateral navigation bars in menus are still there. They are ugly and not usable with fingers (for instance you can see them in the phone call interface pressing the green button)

12) there is no way to disable hardware lateral buttons (useful if you have a GPS holder that laterally squeezes the device)

I have it only 24 hours and despite to the great hardware I can't start to love it because of all these issues...I'm sure I will find more "problems" in the next days. I hope the WM 6.5 update will fix some of these.

lux

I didn't see your post here earlier so didn't have to bother you.

4) bad because SBP2 was really fast like iphone so Samsung problem here

6) bad again but can be replaced by SBP2 or 3 or other skin UI

7) seriously? no xt9 option or whatever, not good Samsung

8, 9) lousy Samsung UI again but I have a conspiracy theory that will be posted separately later.

If Samsung can get this far why SIMPLE BASIC NEEDED features are overlooked or degraded? why Samsung? I better call them up soon to demand a good answer.

But still why some said UI is as fast and fluid as iphone and screen is visible under direct sunlight? Come on all Omnia users let state the facts with no personal embarrassment here :)

Edited by Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia

Guest luxsteele
I didn't see your post here earlier so didn't have to bother you.

4) bad because SBP2 was really fast like iphone so Samsung problem here

6) bad again but can be replaced by SBP2 or 3 or other skin UI

7) seriously? no xt9 option or whatever, not good Samsung

8, 9) lousy Samsung UI again but I have a conspiracy theory that will be posted separately later.

If Samsung can get this far why SIMPLE BASIC NEEDED features are overlooked or degraded? why Samsung? I better call them up soon to demand a good answer.

But still why some said UI is as fast and fluid as iphone and screen is visible under direct sunlight? Come on all Omnia users let state the facts with no personal embarrassment here :)

7) There is xt9, but not final spellchecker (I saw it on wm6.5 on my old eten700)

Put it in this way...

if you had an omnia 1 for long time and you try the omnia II you would say that it is smooth and visible under direct sunlight as the iphone.

if you had an iphone for long time and you try the omnia II you would say that it is NOT smooth and visible under direct sunlight as the iphone.

I had the iphone for a while and tried the omnia 1 of my friend for some days last year.

Guest IBTECH

lux

Hmmm...how come I don't have most of these "issues"?

1) NOT True...they are using MICRO-usb which is the standard on every phone today. don't give people wrong info!

2) I cant replicate this on my device.

3) Tomtom AND Garmin XT both work on my device without any gpsgate. I just enabled XTRA option under GPS settings and set the software to work on port 7. I get a fix really fast too! very good GPS receiver.

4) Partially true. one some menus are slow but not all of them. I am sure it will be fixed in the next firmware releases... and FYI all the menus are hardware accelerated so it seems. I suggest you go to general setting > power > Performance and set the device to "high" this will fix the device on running at 800Mhz and speed things up.

5) True, but it is MUCH better than the first generation Omnia. and I am not using it with full brightness either.

6) The messaging interface is the only thing I found bad to be honest. the rest works really well. There are registry hacks on how to get the winmo original messaging app to work instead of the Samsung one. google it. Other than that...the entire interface is sweet I think. the only thing that is really bad about the TouchWiz messaging app is the extra big fonts which is a waste of space.

7) Really? I see XT9 spelling correction when I type an e-mail or send SMS.

8) see my reply in #4. it will run faster.

9) I don't see this. its really snappy here.

10) Not sure what you mean here

11) True.

12) I don't think you can completely disable hardware buttons on any device? I might be wrong though.

Overall: After being with the Omnia II for a few days now it is one of the fastest winmo devices I have ever used (and I had my hands on HTC Touch Pro, HD, Xepria X1, Acer M900 etc..).

The Video playback works fine for me too. I am not sure why people are saying it is choppy. I just downloaded a standards XVID file and it plays nice.

There is also a version out there of TCPMP player I just found that when I benchmarked the file I got 172%!... I have never received such a benchmark on any device I used at 800x480 resolution.

Another huge plus is the battery life on the Omnia II. I have to admit that with push e-mail always on, HSDPA and heavy usage it can last me for 1.5-2 days.

Sure there are bugs in this initial release. the messaging application Samsung put on the phone is horrible because it is using such big fonts that are wasting so much screen space.

Guest luxsteele
Hmmm...how come I don't have most of these "issues"?

1) NOT True...they are using MICRO-usb which is the standard on every phone today. don't give people wrong info!

2) I cant replicate this on my device.

3) Tomtom AND Garmin XT both work on my device without any gpsgate. I just enabled XTRA option under GPS settings and set the software to work on port 7. I get a fix really fast too! very good GPS receiver.

4) Partially true. one some menus are slow but not all of them. I am sure it will be fixed in the next firmware releases... and FYI all the menus are hardware accelerated so it seems. I suggest you go to general setting > power > Performance and set the device to "high" this will fix the device on running at 800Mhz and speed things up.

5) True, but it is MUCH better than the first generation Omnia. and I am not using it with full brightness either.

6) The messaging interface is the only thing I found bad to be honest. the rest works really well. There are registry hacks on how to get the winmo original messaging app to work instead of the Samsung one. google it. Other than that...the entire interface is sweet I think. the only thing that is really bad about the TouchWiz messaging app is the extra big fonts which is a waste of space.

7) Really? I see XT9 spelling correction when I type an e-mail or send SMS.

8) see my reply in #4. it will run faster.

9) I don't see this. its really snappy here.

10) Not sure what you mean here

11) True.

12) I don't think you can completely disable hardware buttons on any device? I might be wrong though.

Overall: After being with the Omnia II for a few days now it is one of the fastest winmo devices I have ever used (and I had my hands on HTC Touch Pro, HD, Xepria X1, Acer M900 etc..).

The Video playback works fine for me too. I am not sure why people are saying it is choppy. I just downloaded a standards XVID file and it plays nice.

There is also a version out there of TCPMP player I just found that when I benchmarked the file I got 172%!... I have never received such a benchmark on any device I used at 800x480 resolution.

Another huge plus is the battery life on the Omnia II. I have to admit that with push e-mail always on, HSDPA and heavy usage it can last me for 1.5-2 days.

Sure there are bugs in this initial release. the messaging application Samsung put on the phone is horrible because it is using such big fonts that are wasting so much screen space.

1) right, I'm sorry...my confusion comes from the fact that at home I have 10 MINI-usb cables used with previous win-mobile phones. I realize now is a MICRO-USB

2) I'm looking at it right now...I just keep auto-luminosity disabled.

3) port 7 for the pogramm and port 9 for the hardware port doesn't work in mine...tomtom 7.910.9185. Garmin XT works without gpsgate

4) putting performance to high doesn't make any difference, widget are still slow in my opinion (I will try to record a video of what I mean after). The weather (accuweather.com) widget in full screen takes 1-2 second to render when I flip locations.

When I say they are slow I mean they are slow compared to the iphone....it is still 10 times faster than my previous win mob phone.

7) Yes you have xt9, but not full final spellchecker..

10) I mean press you phone button and then press the hide the keypad...you will still see le lateral scrolling bar of windows mobile in you contacts.

Guest FerdiBorbon
Here are some interesting benchmarks for the Omnia II:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y...history_state0=

Scroll down to see how well video playback is with TCPMP GF5500 Edition.

I can confirm it plays videos really well with this player.

try playing a file with h.264 codec @24fps 2000kbs 800x480 or 720x432 its choppy even with that tcpmp version :)

Even using Mpeg4 with the same encodes still choppy,

If i use touchplayer with the mpeg4 encode it tends to run not as choppy,

Im really not happy with the video playback of the omnia II...i wanted to impress people that it looks HD quality with the amoled screen, but if it doesnt play smoothly bit of a bummer/

Edited by FerdiBorbon