Does Omnia II solve Omnia's problems?

Guest vatna
Be aware though, not having a d-pad or a mouse "like omnia 1" is a pain in the nick...

I'm thinking of getting an omnia2 and I would miss a d-pad as well (mainly for games).  Has anybody tried AE Button Plus (http://ae.inc.ru/aebplus.php) to change for example the volume up/down buttons to d-pad up/down buttons?  If yes, I would be interested in knowing how many of the omnia2's buttons can be reassigned.

Edited by vatna

Guest unholygid2006

Hi,

I was wondering if Omnia II a major upgrade from i900. I've hands on the omnia II and i find the interface pretty boring compared to the custom roms for i900 ;) ( It'll be a different story once wm6.5 lanuch of coz! )

Other than that, i think the touch response is really sweet and the nice 3.7" screen.

I really need some opinions from ex i900 users who upgraded to Omnia II. Your opinions will mean a lot to me :)

Thanks

Guest alvinaloy
Hi,

I was wondering if Omnia II a major upgrade from i900. I've hands on the omnia II and i find the interface pretty boring compared to the custom roms for i900 ;) ( It'll be a different story once wm6.5 lanuch of coz! )

Other than that, i think the touch response is really sweet and the nice 3.7" screen.

I really need some opinions from ex i900 users who upgraded to Omnia II. Your opinions will mean a lot to me :)

Thanks

Comparing the original ROM with custom ROMs; hello, apples and oranges.

In time, I'm sure Omnia II will have custom ROMs as well. I was ex-i900 user, though I didn't use any custom ROMs. Omnia II is definitely better; the touch response is so much improved, colours vibrant and screen larger.

Guest endursa
Hi,

I was wondering if Omnia II a major upgrade from i900. I've hands on the omnia II and i find the interface pretty boring compared to the custom roms for i900 <_< ( It'll be a different story once wm6.5 lanuch of coz! )

Thanks

hi 

i upgraded from i900 to i8000 just 2 weeks ago, and i'm really happy with the O2, dpad wouldn't be to bad but as said before, for such needs i have fingerkeyboard 2.1 installed! ;) 

the rest is just awesome with the new one! screen is so much better in response and colors!

in terms of hardware everything is ok! and even in terms of software samsung has done a great job! i even like the new widget ui even though i have had the titanium 6.5 rom from sector on my original rom ;)

Guest sanyboi
Hi,

Thanks

I've recently upgraded to the omnia 2 and i cant even look at my old omnia the same.. I think that samsung have made real improvements to the device in all aspects and would definately recommend the upgrade.

Guest unholygid2006

;)

I think i'll wait for wm 6.5 to be officially lanuched first. ;)

I believe its gonna to be fantastic on omnia II.

Thanks for your responses. :)

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia

I'll wait until winmo 7 next year when there will be much improved PDA phones to choose from and because the i900 still serves me well for at least another year. FYI: for its coming 1st anniversay in Sep Labor day when I bought it last year, I gave it a new mirror screen protector and it looks awesome, just like a real mirror when it is off :D.

Guest ResiFe

Well, waiting for WM7 surely is an alternative. But did they announce a release date yet? I mean, if it's end of 2010, than it would be too long for me as I want to replace my current devince in the near future, like <6 months...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Apo11on
Good work ferdiborbon

I not got one, and probably wont for a little while (if i get one at all). I would love to cook for it. I think the lag in Coreplayer is due to the build of the ROM, when i first got my Omnia I, when i used CorePlayer it lagged. As soon as i flashed a custom ROM, the lag disappeared and i have never seen it again.

When ROMs start coming out, then expect custom ones. Then we can still get rid of a lost of useless stuff in the build. I like what they have done with WinMo interface, like you say you hardly get to see WinMo...so that would be sweet.

I really want one.... :D

I willl be keeping up with the reviews, issues, etc etc with Omnia II...need to really :angry:

Laters

save your energy and cooking skillz for HTC Leo - it's gonna own Omnia 2 in almost every way. That's really something you should be cooking for. Capacitive screen 4.3", Snapdragon @ 1Ghz, 11mm thin - doesn't it sound sexy?

7059854836bf9069a40b5f3d197b.jpg

• 1 month later...
Anybody using Microsoft Voice Command or Cyberon Voice with their i8000 via bluetooth headset and can use voice commands to activate via the BT headset? E.g. call, john modaco, on mobile, what is the battery level etc etc as i900 did not :( ... was fixed on i908 but wondering if voice over bluetooth profile works out of box on i8000 as use 99% of time

I would be interested in an answer to that question too. I bought the i8000 a couple of days ago and found NO voicedialing installed, although I read on several websites that the i8000 has voicedialing. the samsung website is not of any help here as they only have very few specifications published and even now there is still NO downloadable manual.

So, what I did is installing microsoft voice command, which I still had from my "old" i900. This didnt even create a shortcut for vc in the program-menu. So I created this shortcut manually and assigned it to "button 1", hoping, that this would also be the button that is activated when pressing the headset-button. When pressing this button on the phone everything works fine and I can use vc WITH THE PHONE. But there was NO audio-routing through the headset. And, guess what, of course pressing the headset-button doesnt do anything on the phone. Just no reaction. I also found no way to configure this headset-button somewhere.

ANY help here is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Zusan,

BTW: I also really miss the d-pad (fingermaus in german :) ) too. There is no good way to dial when you open the dialing-pad (hope thats the correct translation). In another, german forum I was told that you dont need the d-pad anymore because you can do everything with your fingers... I really wonder how those guys dial their numbers from the contacts!?! opening contacts, searching and scrolling in the contacts, opening the correct contact, selecting the correct number (mobile, office, etc.) and dial? it was way faster with opening the dialing-pad, typing in the first letters of the contact, selecting it with the d-pad and dial.

Guest tacchan23
I would be interested in an answer to that question too. I bought the i8000 a couple of days ago and found NO voicedialing installed, although I read on several websites that the i8000 has voicedialing. the samsung website is not of any help here as they only have very few specifications published and even now there is still NO downloadable manual.

So, what I did is installing microsoft voice command, which I still had from my "old" i900. This didnt even create a shortcut for vc in the program-menu. So I created this shortcut manually and assigned it to "button 1", hoping, that this would also be the button that is activated when pressing the headset-button. When pressing this button on the phone everything works fine and I can use vc WITH THE PHONE. But there was NO audio-routing through the headset. And, guess what, of course pressing the headset-button doesnt do anything on the phone. Just no reaction. I also found no way to configure this headset-button somewhere.

ANY help here is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Zusan,

BTW: I also really miss the d-pad (fingermaus in german :) ) too. There is no good way to dial when you open the dialing-pad (hope thats the correct translation). In another, german forum I was told that you dont need the d-pad anymore because you can do everything with your fingers... I really wonder how those guys dial their numbers from the contacts!?! opening contacts, searching and scrolling in the contacts, opening the correct contact, selecting the correct number (mobile, office, etc.) and dial? it was way faster with opening the dialing-pad, typing in the first letters of the contact, selecting it with the d-pad and dial.

About the BT set I am interested too... I just bought one but didnt have enought time to try it with any voice command programs.

About the "dialing their number from contacts", I do the following: open dialing-pad, typing in the first letters of the contact, scrolling/selecting it with my finger and dial

About the "dialing their number from contacts", I do the following: open dialing-pad, typing in the first letters of the contact, scrolling/selecting it with my finger and dial

Yes, thats exactly what I do. BUT, the thing is with the "scrolling/selecting it with my finger". For that I used to use the d-pad, which the i8000 does not have anymore. How do you scroll there? Do you scroll through this ultra-small list of contacts above the number-pad (like I do)?

Zusan

Edited by Zusan

Guest tacchan23
Yes, thats exactly what I do. BUT, the thing is with the "scrolling/selecting it with my finger". For that I used to use the d-pad, which the i8000 does not have anymore. How do you scroll there? Do you scroll through this ultra-small list of contacts above the number-pad (like I do)?

Zusan

Well, I admit the space to scroll is not much^^

After you imput some letters, you could also press "hide keypad" to scroll easier.

But honestly untill some days ago I used Rosco Contact Manager and there is more space for scrolling above the dial-pad there.

Guest AndrewTan

Answering you some:

2. My Storage folder disappears.

- It happen in 1st badge only.

5. Touch Player buggy.

The new touch player is great!

6. Touchscreen/digitizer issues - early batch not sensitive, some replacements become less sensitive over time.

No issue on touchscreen, it work great. Some user experience issue, just need to re-calibrate the screen (using stylus not finger) then it will working fine.

7. 3 second ring tone delay.

Ya, all Samsung phone got this so call "feature" when Samsung can solved it!

8. When WiFi enabled, phone sometimes cannot recover from suspended state, get BSOD.

Never face this issue b4.

New issues:

1. Omnia II currently does not feature threaded SMS out of the box.

- Support in latest WM 6.5 version.

2. No D-pad. <- Is cube a D-pad??

- Nope, Cube just a dummy 2 function key. (But is ok for me, I don't need D-pad)

3. Coreplayer / TCPMP lagging on current ROM.

- Goto Settings -- DirectDraw | Tick only Overlay with colorkey and untick another two, this will solved the issue and all movie will run smoothly.

Edited by AndrewTan

But honestly untill some days ago I used Rosco Contact Manager and there is more space for scrolling above the dial-pad there.

@tacchan23: Why dont you use rosco anymore?

@all:

Regarding the "voice command with bluetooth headset"-topic: I tested it once more today morning, just for being sure its not working. But it worked. I didnt change anything since my last test on saturday when it didnt work. I dont know what the problem is/was. What did I do to get microsoft voice command to work?

1. install ms voice command 1.6

2. create a shortcut in the windows/startmenu-directory to the only .exe-file in the vc-programm-directory.

3. assigned button 1 to this shortcut. (I dont know if it works without this. I didnt test that.)

Thats it. When pressing the button on the headset the signal tone is way too loud, whereas the loudness when talking to someone is ok. But I think one can adjust this with audiogaincontrol. So thats the good news for me. I dont have to send the phone back. :)

Regards.

Edited by Zusan

Guest tacchan23

Just becouse I recently flashed to WM 6.5 rom and I was lazy to install it for the moment^^ (and becouse at the moment I use my Omnia2 more for video/music/reading than as a phone ahaha)

Nice to hear about the bluetooth for future use:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest benji791

@all:

Regarding the "voice command with bluetooth headset"-topic: I tested it once more today morning, just for being sure its not working. But it worked. I didnt change anything since my last test on saturday when it didnt work. I dont know what the problem is/was. What did I do to get microsoft voice command to work?

1. install ms voice command 1.6

2. create a shortcut in the windows/startmenu-directory to the only .exe-file in the vc-programm-directory.

3. assigned button 1 to this shortcut. (I dont know if it works without this. I didnt test that.)

Thats it. When pressing the button on the headset the signal tone is way too loud, whereas the loudness when talking to someone is ok. But I think one can adjust this with audiogaincontrol. So thats the good news for me. I dont have to send the phone back. :)

Regards.

Hello,

Can you confirm it's still working fine with those simple steps ? (Press your button on headset and then just voice dial). Do you have any problems like somes had with i900 on second call ?

Is your headset is recent or not ? I'm wondering this because i would like to connect the phone to my bluetooth integrated car kit which is four years old generation.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Guest benji791

Hello,

here we are i've order mine (sfr branded in France). I'm very impatient now in having an answer to the question above. Can anyone confirm those simple steps works to get voice command and bluetooth on a 6.5 wm version ?

Thanks in advance guys

Edited by benji791

Guest benji791

Hi all,

i can hardly believe that no one here can confirm whether omnia 2 + voice command works with BT or not.

i'm terribly stressed about receiving a phone i could not use with my integrated bluetooth car kit.

Thanks in advance anyway.

PS: please report if you think a new post should be created for that.

Guest benji791

Hello,

I received my O2 and installed voice command 1.6 and followed the steps described above. The result is :

- voice command works perfectly directly on the phone without my bluetooth car kit

- when i press the voice command button of my car kit, it triggers the phone and i can here the beep in the car speakers (very loud). But when i try to give a command, nothing happens.

It would be very nice to tell us the steps you followed in a more detailed way.

My version is :

PDA: I8000BUII1

CSC: I8000SFRII1

BLUETOOTH :

software : 2.0.3

hardware : 2.0.1

WM 6.5 SE CE 5.2.21849 (Version 21849.5.0.63)

Hi,

I can confirm that it still works very well with my bluetooth headset and ms voicecommand 1.6. Unfortunately I cant provide any more detailled information on what I did, as the one I already provided, because I just didnt do anything more.

My headset is a pretty old one: It is a Logitech HS05, as far as I have in my mind. It is at least 2 years or more old.

Did you also assign button 1 to the shortcut? I think you have, otherwise you wouldnt be able to even start voice command.

I remember that it didnt work at all when trying it the first time after I installed it. But then voice command didnt even start. This issue was gone when I tried it the next morning although I didnt change anything. Except for rebooting the phone. Sorry, for not having more useful information for you.

Zusan

Guest benji791
Hi,

I can confirm that it still works very well with my bluetooth headset and ms voicecommand 1.6. Unfortunately I cant provide any more detailled information on what I did, as the one I already provided, because I just didnt do anything more.

My headset is a pretty old one: It is a Logitech HS05, as far as I have in my mind. It is at least 2 years or more old.

Did you also assign button 1 to the shortcut? I think you have, otherwise you wouldnt be able to even start voice command.

I remember that it didnt work at all when trying it the first time after I installed it. But then voice command didnt even start. This issue was gone when I tried it the next morning although I didnt change anything. Except for rebooting the phone. Sorry, for not having more useful information for you.

Zusan

Hello,

Can you tell us what are your rom informations (hardware and WM versions and builds) and what is your voice command version and build ?

I have affected long button 2 to voice command. I'll try button 1.

Can you also give us an example of voice command that works ("dial tom mobile") ? and what happens on the phone and what you hear ? Do you have any customized settings in voice command ?

Thanks in advance. you're my only chance since you're the only one that has been able to do it work !