The CF03 update sucks

Guest Rooster Misfit

Guest Rooster Misfit

now i klnow everyone is excited about the gps unlock... which is great for you guys to play with but i havent even tried it yet... i dont care much for gps cause im never going to use it since im always in the city anyhow...

im looking at stuff i use everyday such as text messaging.... i have found a few problems with that

like the xt9 is useless to me now cause every time i try and type "i" it comes out as "g" (if your using the keypad input).... t9 on any other phone and including the shipping release of the phone all typed "i" if you just hit 4. i know some of you are just saying switch keyboards... but thats what im used to i have been texting like that since i had my first cell phone back in 98 (well thats befor t9 but im talking about the keypad) and i can type without having to look at the screen unlike the qwerty board you have to watch the whole time...

if im trying to spell a word that isnt in the t9 i cant use the add word function in the text message itself... it just pops up and instantly disappears. the point of the add word button is it would instantly switch from t9 to tab and i would type out the word then hit space and it would instantly go back to t9... since it doesnt work i have to switch back and forward from the 2 and tab doesnt always save what you type so most of the time if i want to add a word i have to open up the T9 directory in the input options menu

if i am in a conversation with someone and i dont close out of their text message after each time i reply, the "new text mesage" number will go up and i cant just go in there once and they all get marked as read, and there is no mark all read... lets say it says i have 5 unread messages... i will have to go in to that ONE conversation open it and close it 5 times in order to get it to say no unread messages... if i only do it twice it will say 3 unread messages

some of the overlays taht they did get on my nerves like the volume takes up the whole screen... yeah it looks nice but its a waste and i have to hit the button like 6 times if im in a call to get it to raise...

the overlay for the system options is nice cause you have some quick access options but i would rather the quick options be seperate like a widget or something.

=--=-=-

the text messaging is the worse for me cause i text all the time.. i hate actually talking on the phone.. so it causes a problem for me and its just frusterating... makes me wish i never upgraded

if anyone knows any work arounds for these problems please let me know...

and also post any other problems you might find... i plan on writing a list of problems to samsung so they can fix their mistakes from lack of testing

Edited by Rooster Misfit

Guest Yelofnitsuj

All of those problems existed in the CC20 ROM that was leaked that all the cooked ROMs are based on. I updated to CF03 yesterday but haven't had the chance to even notice that the problems haven't been fixed.

For the text messages not being marked read, if you highlight each message with the directional pad before you close the window, it will mark them as read. Annoying, but less annoying than closing and opening the message 5 times.

Guest Rooster Misfit
All of those problems existed in the CC20 ROM that was leaked that all the cooked ROMs are based on. I updated to CF03 yesterday but haven't had the chance to even notice that the problems haven't been fixed.

For the text messages not being marked read, if you highlight each message with the directional pad before you close the window, it will mark them as read. Annoying, but less annoying than closing and opening the message 5 times.

i never had the leaked version so i never got to these problems till now... thanks for the d-pad tip but your right its still annoying

Guest Beardedmonk

t9 Keypad works as it should for me... I am not experiencing any of those problems... Im using Bgill55's 6.5 M2D btw... You should tryout a custom rom!

Guest gayflag

Sorry, but you bought the wrong phone, imo. A good VZW salesperson should have sold you a phone with either a full keyboard, or a compact phone with buttons. However i assume you picked the omnia because of the 'cool' factor without considering the lack of buttons issue. maybe i'm wrong. I'm not trying to be a prick, but really, full touch screen phones suck for texting. Bigtime. You need buttons if you wish to text, or need a lot of time getting used to having textureless buttons via touch screen.

Bottom line, if you text alot, you need buttons. I went from having a launch, samsung alias (sch-u740) to omnia. Omnia sucks for text entry due to the touchscreen. I could enter characters really quick with my old phone. Omnia, not so much.

But the nice thing with the omnia, if your entry mode sucks, install a new one. I love fingerkeyboard. It has hotkeys for 'www' and '.com' and others. I also added a hotkey to enter my email address. Hold one button: my email address entered into a field.

I cannot stress how much i hate the default text entry app on the omnia. It is entirely too difficult to turn OFF word correction and it adding a space after every character. The first thing i do after flashing my omnia is install fingerkb. Maybe you should try it.

I got the omnia because i wanted something i could customize. If you wanted something that was 'out of the box' good, go for iphone. The omnia sucked until it got huge support by all the independent developers that offered their time to make it the best verizon phone you can have.

Guest jezze boi
Sorry, but you bought the wrong phone, imo. A good VZW salesperson should have sold you a phone with either a full keyboard, or a compact phone with buttons. However i assume you picked the omnia because of the 'cool' factor without considering the lack of buttons issue. maybe i'm wrong. I'm not trying to be a prick, but really, full touch screen phones suck for texting. Bigtime. You need buttons if you wish to text, or need a lot of time getting used to having textureless buttons via touch screen.

Bottom line, if you text alot, you need buttons. I went from having a launch, samsung alias (sch-u740) to omnia. Omnia sucks for text entry due to the touchscreen. I could enter characters really quick with my old phone. Omnia, not so much.

But the nice thing with the omnia, if your entry mode sucks, install a new one. I love fingerkeyboard. It has hotkeys for 'www' and '.com' and others. I also added a hotkey to enter my email address. Hold one button: my email address entered into a field.

I cannot stress how much i hate the default text entry app on the omnia. It is entirely too difficult to turn OFF word correction and it adding a space after every character. The first thing i do after flashing my omnia is install fingerkb. Maybe you should try it.

I got the omnia because i wanted something i could customize. If you wanted something that was 'out of the box' good, go for iphone. The omnia sucked until it got huge support by all the independent developers that offered their time to make it the best verizon phone you can have.

excuse my laziness to refrain from searching it up - i already got a headache from using my laptop continuously, but can you show me where you got the finger keyboard... sounds cool. currently using shokka's

- already downloaded v2.0. thanks for the info though ;)

Edited by jezze boi

Guest Yelofnitsuj

I disagree completely. I text a lot on my Omnia, and it's not a problem. I have the same problem with the T9 guessing G instead of I, but I have just had to adapt to the full keyboard, even though the keys are smaller and it does slow me down. But before I started flashing, on the default firmware, I had no trouble texting at all.

Here is the FingerKeyboard.

FingerKeyb_2.1_WQVGA.cab

Guest SilverPony2001
I disagree completely. I text a lot on my Omnia, and it's not a problem. I have the same problem with the T9 guessing G instead of I, but I have just had to adapt to the full keyboard, even though the keys are smaller and it does slow me down. But before I started flashing, on the default firmware, I had no trouble texting at all.

Here is the FingerKeyboard.

I agree. I just flashed to CF03 and had been using the old verizon stock rom the whole time, for about 4 months. Using the Phonepad XT9 for texting, I got almost as good as texting as a hardware button phone. Now with CF03, the damn "I" button doesn't work right, and adding words is a pain in the ass. I can't tell when it's really adding a word. Sometimes it will after I click ADD WORD, sometimes it doesn't. I wish I could use the original ROM's keyboard and XT9 with the new CF03 version. I don't really care for pop up keys anyway.

Guest Tim-H
Try here for the unread messeges problem. I'm not sure about the xt9 problem. I use the full keyboard in portrait mode. The keys are a little small but it doesnt take long to get used to. I'd also reccomend trying out a custom ROM if you haven't yet. Blazingwolf makes the best for what I need and he is awesome at supporting problems/bugs.

Guest Rooster Misfit

ok so either A you didnt read my full post or B you havent fully gotten used to the omnia like me or C have no clue what your talking about... possibly D all the above but i hope not

so to clarify it for you.... i have had the omnia for a few months and as i stated i was able to text without even looking at what i was typing (yes i got everything right 95% of the time) with the original release software... yes i did pick it for the cool factor cause it way cooler than the iphone and does so much more...

my last phone was the LG 9800 (The V) and i went from that to the touchscreen texting no problem cause it has the option of keypad typing (which makes it just like a regular phone keypad)... if you need to actually FEEL something to know where your thumb is then im sorry but it came rather easy to me.

in no point in time did i say i didnt like the omnia... i said i didnt like the new update cause they messed up stuff the old version had working just fine... please read before responding

Edited by Rooster Misfit

Guest Rooster Misfit
t9 Keypad works as it should for me... I am not experiencing any of those problems... Im using Bgill55's 6.5 M2D btw... You should tryout a custom rom!

yeah i plan on testing a rom soon i just need to see if they have the same problems... thanks

Guest Rooster Misfit
Try here for the unread messeges problem. I'm not sure about the xt9 problem. I use the full keyboard in portrait mode. The keys are a little small but it doesnt take long to get used to. I'd also reccomend trying out a custom ROM if you haven't yet. Blazingwolf makes the best for what I need and he is awesome at supporting problems/bugs.

THANKS TIM!

Guest blazingwolf

The keyboard issue appeared in the CC20 ROM. Obviously no one tested the phonepad as it is still in this ROM. The only fix is to use another keyboard type or another keyboard all together. So far no one has been able to correctly fix this issue.

Guest Rooster Misfit
I have the sms bug fixed in my rom, I have shokkas keyboard which is a working XT9 and add word keyboard cooked in my rom!

does that keyboard have a keypad option or is it just qwerty?

Guest blazingwolf
does that keyboard have a keypad option or is it just qwerty?

Shokka9s keyboard has the phonepad but no popup. It can be found in the i900 repo thread.

Guest bearhntr

Rooster,

I too do a lot of texting. The one other thing that I have also noted in the CF03 and the CC20 ROMS, is that there are times when you are typing, and even if you have turned off the T9 feature...it will put periods in the middle of the message. I was sending a fairly long message this morning, and after the 3rd, 7th and 10th words there was a period. I was not hitting the period, and I have yet to figure out why it does this.

The other thing I hate is the fact that once you turn OFF the T9 feature for one conversation or any other type of texting/typing. The next time that the keyboard is displayed - it is back on. Makes you say "DAMMIT, I turned you off - now STAY THE HELL OFF!!!" :-)

*BH*

Guest Rooster Misfit
Rooster,

I too do a lot of texting. The one other thing that I have also noted in the CF03 and the CC20 ROMS, is that there are times when you are typing, and even if you have turned off the T9 feature...it will put periods in the middle of the message. I was sending a fairly long message this morning, and after the 3rd, 7th and 10th words there was a period. I was not hitting the period, and I have yet to figure out why it does this.

The other thing I hate is the fact that once you turn OFF the T9 feature for one conversation or any other type of texting/typing. The next time that the keyboard is displayed - it is back on. Makes you say "DAMMIT, I turned you off - now STAY THE HELL OFF!!!" :-)

*BH*

hmmm thats strange i havent run in to the period problem

as for the t9 i never turn it off except to type a word thats not in the the directory but i always put it right back

Guest Tim-H

*BH*

go to settings/personal/input

there are a bunch of xt9 settings in there to turn it off and stuff. It never starts in xt9 for me anymore, and I don't get the period problem, havent seen it. Maybe these things will help.

Guest Rooster Misfit
Shokka9s keyboard has the phonepad but no popup. It can be found in the i900 repo thread.

i did a search in the forum for the keyboard itself and i also searched i900 repo and didnt find it... can you direct me?

Guest Diocrew

Has anyone had a problem running the Official Installer on a Vista 64 computer? When I run it I get the message "Windows Mobile Device Center is not installed on your computer". I have been flashing my Omnia on this same computer so I don't know why it is telling me WMDC is not installed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Guest ellectronico
Has anyone had a problem running the Official Installer on a Vista 64 computer? When I run it I get the message "Windows Mobile Device Center is not installed on your computer". I have been flashing my Omnia on this same computer so I don't know why it is telling me WMDC is not installed.

i think it only works on 32bit vista

Guest Rooster Misfit

ellectronico is right.... i had the same problem as you... your gonna have to go to a friend's house or something.... make sure the computer you use isnt crap and laggy..

Guest Rooster Misfit
The installer works on 64 bit. I used it on Win7 x64 Build 7600

Just right-click and run as admin, simple as that.

yes but from what everyone is saying it doesnt work on vista 64.... which is what he was talkin about... everyone seems to bring up windows 7 when someone is talking about it not running on vista.... its not the same thing