AutoCallLocker

Guest JohKarJes

Guest tzatziki

This is perhaps the best application I have seen for my Omnia so far... it has been my dearest wish for a long time now, to have such an application installed to my phone.

There are however some bugs, none of which is unknown to you. The first one is the inadequate on and off switching while using the accelerometer, the second one (which is the biggest problem for me) is the inability to switch on the screen when I am in an entirely dark enviroment (which makes it impossible for the light sensor to switch the screen back on). I have read the explanation about the proximity sensor and whatsoever, and I get that we are facing hardware restrictions here (namely that the omnia only has a light sensor), but it would be nice if the screen could be switched back on by using a simple key, eg. the volume control. What happens now in a dark room is that even if I try to press the volume control the screen flashes up for a fraction of a second and then goes dark again, making it unable for me to have a proper look at my phone. Why does it go dark again? If we are in an entirely dark room then the light sensor should switch the screen on if it senses the backlight of my phone, shouldn't it? I have set the sensitivity to 1, and still it does not work properly: continues to turn on and off in the dark environment lit by my backlight.

Hope I was understandable. :D

Anyway, discovering this masterpiece of work has been the greatest surprise to me ever since I got my omnia. Fantastic work, JohKarJes!

Edited by tzatziki

Guest snickle

Great app. One oddity though. When using it in my car mounted in a cradle with power supplied. Once you are in a call the screen flash on and off continuously until the call is over.

Any ideas?

Guest SilverPony2001

Been using this app for awhile, and just had a suggestion. As someone stated before, somehow using the light sensor and g sensor together, what if it could work like this... The light sensor would be the main factor to determine if the phone locks or not... however, if you answer a call and the light sensor detects RIGHT AWAY that it is already past the threshhold to lock, it switches to the g sensor. Example, the the light sensor usually works good for me, except in dark places, or at night in my car. If there was a way for the program to recognize that you just answered a call, and it is already to dark, but obviously you didn't answer the phone with it already to your ear, then it would use the G sensor to lock for that specific call. I hope this makes sense.

Guest JohKarJes

Hi all,

I just finished and uploaded a new version: V1005. On the outside not much has changed, but under the surface it is working in a totally different way.

The app works as a kind of service now, and is almost impossible to close by the OS when it is short of memory. This should fix closing bug definitely.

Further I have fixed the problem that the device would lock/unlock repeatedly when holding the device in a 90 degrees angle, using the accelerometer.

And last but not least, I have added a 'buy me a coffee' link :P to keep me going...

Next thing on my list is adding some more features (unless you come up with bugs that must be solved :D ...).

Probably I start with the combination of using the light sensor and accelerometer in a more intelligent way as proposed in some posts earlier (sound like good ideas !).

regards and again enjoy,

JohKarJes

Edited by JohKarJes

I really like this application. Unfortunately there are some issues. Comparing versions 4 and 5, I've noticed a couple of things so far. Version 4 has worked great for me with the exception of a small bug I mentioned in my previous post. Version 5 has the bug fixed but introduced another important one - compatibility with s2u2. It took me a while to figure out the right combination of options in s2u2 and Autocallocker (ACL) to make them both work. In general, s2u2 overrides ACL most of the time. In my current combination, during a phone call, the device gets locked/unlocked according to its position but the screen doesn't go blank. If I select the "Blank screen" option in ACL then s2u2 activates as soon as the phone in the vertical position and locks the screen;so, it does not matter in what position the phone is after that, it stays locked. I need to slide to unlock the screen then I can see phonepad again. This has practically the same effect as annoying Samsung's original phonepad lock. I did not have this problem with version 4.

Also, I need to mention that before installing version 5, I decided to uninstall v.4 first. I was unable to do so. Even digging and cleaning through Windows folder and registry did not help. Even registry restoration did not help. After several attempts to get rid of it I gave up. I tried to install v.5 on or reinstall v.4, well... no luck. So, I had to hard reset and do a clean install of v.5.

Now, I want to go back to v.4. but I am afraid to touch it because I don't want to go through the hard reset again.

However, don't get me wrong I think that it is a great application. I am not complaining. It is a just report of what my experience is, so far.

I do appreciate and admire your work JohKarJes and I'll be experimenting with any new versions you'll come up with.

Guest JohKarJes
I really like this application. Unfortunately there are some issues. Comparing versions 4 and 5, I've noticed a couple of things so far. Version 4 has worked great for me with the exception of a small bug I mentioned in my previous post. Version 5 has the bug fixed but introduced another important one - compatibility with s2u2. It took me a while to figure out the right combination of options in s2u2 and Autocallocker (ACL) to make them both work. In general, s2u2 overrides ACL most of the time. In my current combination, during a phone call, the device gets locked/unlocked according to its position but the screen doesn't go blank. If I select the "Blank screen" option in ACL then s2u2 activates as soon as the phone in the vertical position and locks the screen;so, it does not matter in what position the phone is after that, it stays locked. I need to slide to unlock the screen then I can see phonepad again. This has practically the same effect as annoying Samsung's original phonepad lock. I did not have this problem with version 4.

Also, I need to mention that before installing version 5, I decided to uninstall v.4 first. I was unable to do so. Even digging and cleaning through Windows folder and registry did not help. Even registry restoration did not help. After several attempts to get rid of it I gave up. I tried to install v.5 on or reinstall v.4, well... no luck. So, I had to hard reset and do a clean install of v.5.

Now, I want to go back to v.4. but I am afraid to touch it because I don't want to go through the hard reset again.

However, don't get me wrong I think that it is a great application. I am not complaining. It is a just report of what my experience is, so far.

I do appreciate and admire your work JohKarJes and I'll be experimenting with any new versions you'll come up with.

Hi,

This is a bit surprising. ACL has been tested with S2U2 without any problems so far, although I use an older version 2.04.

S2U2 did although trigger after the phone blanked in ACL's testmode, but never in a call.

Anyway, I'll give it a try with the latest S2U2 version, and hopefully I can reproduce this behavior.

About installing, this is annoying. Did ACL run while trying to uninstall?

My advice is to STOP ACL first (through the settings menu, Close button), and then do the uninstall. I will mention this in the header of this topic.

As a lat point, I think this version is much better then the previous one, since for most people the closing and repeatedly locking/unlocking issue is really critical.

Anyway thanks for pointing out these issues, it is always good to have feedback, so I can improve.

Greetz, JohKarJes

Hi,

Thanks for pointing out. I do realize now. ACL, indeed, was running when I tried to uninstall it. I don't know what I was thinking. Sure, that what caused all my troubles. Such a stupid mistake. Anyway thank you for the respond. Also, If you saying that s2u2 should work fine with ACL then I need to try a couple of other things. May be it is a combination of s2u2, spb ms3.5 and ACL somehow does not work. Or something else interfere. I'll get back to you on this one.

Thanks, amb123

Well... I have to admit, I was wrong. ACL does work with s2u2. It glitches once in a while but not very often. I have to have "lock when backlight turns off" option set on "off" in s2u2 setting. If it is "on" then s2u2 overwrites ACL.

Sorry for the misleading.

Guest JohKarJes
Well... I have to admit, I was wrong. ACL does work with s2u2. It glitches once in a while but not very often. I have to have "lock when backlight turns off" option set on "off" in s2u2 setting. If it is "on" then s2u2 overwrites ACL.

Sorry for the misleading.

No problem! Thanks for the workaround for anyone having these 'glitches' : "lock when backlight turns off".

Guest cmock65

My phone unlocks when in the "landscape" position and locks when upright. This is opposite of what is needed when speaking on phone. It is the same whether the angle is set for 1 - 89. Perhaps there is a setting that I need to tweak, but I have not yet found that.

Any help would be appreciated. I think this application would be a great addition to my Omnia.

Thanks

Guest JohKarJes
My phone unlocks when in the "landscape" position and locks when upright. This is opposite of what is needed when speaking on phone. It is the same whether the angle is set for 1 - 89. Perhaps there is a setting that I need to tweak, but I have not yet found that.

Any help would be appreciated. I think this application would be a great addition to my Omnia.

Thanks

??? I don't get your point???

When using the accelerometer, it should unlock when hold horizontal (to be able to use the touchscreen), lock when hold vertical (so your ear won't accidentally trigger buttons).

greetz, JohKarJes

Guest lioryte
??? I don't get your point???

When using the accelerometer, it should unlock when hold horizontal (to be able to use the touchscreen), lock when hold vertical (so your ear won't accidentally trigger buttons).

greetz, JohKarJes

ROFL

This app works great considering the hardware we are working with. Using the accelerometer isn't really practical for me at all though, as I think my habits when holding the phone while talking conflict with the logic used. The light sensor works great except in very bright or dark situations, and I just don't see any real workaround in these instances. One issue to note is that the phone's LCD tends to turn on during a call for some reason (not because autocalllocker is toggling it), after which autocalllocker tends not to work. It's weird and doesn't happen all the time. Oh well. I'm thinking of switching over to the Droid Eris but I'm not so sure about being able to customize everything on the Android platform.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wittanny

Hi JohKarJes,

I've been using this app with i900 anf found it very useful. Now I'm having OMNIA II i8000 with this app install as well. The performance is even more fantastic since light sensor in i8000 is a lot more accurate than i900. The only setback is the setting UI does not seem to support WVGA screen. Will you correct this in your next release, I still can live with your current version anyway.

Big thanks,

Guest Bashymerlin

Hi

Does this work with the B7300 (Omnia Lite) cause ive installed it and the app dont open, no errors just does not do anything, any advice please cause i hate the screen lock during a call :D

Kind regards

Simon

Edited by Bashymerlin

Guest JohKarJes
Hi JohKarJes,

I've been using this app with i900 anf found it very useful. Now I'm having OMNIA II i8000 with this app install as well. The performance is even more fantastic since light sensor in i8000 is a lot more accurate than i900. The only setback is the setting UI does not seem to support WVGA screen. Will you correct this in your next release, I still can live with your current version anyway.

Big thanks,

Nice that it also works on the I8000. Indeed the screen is designed for the i900-i910. Thanks for letting me know, i'll put it on my list.

About the B7300. I do not own such a device or know anybody who does, so for the moment I really do not have a clue how to fix this... :D

Edited by JohKarJes

• 5 weeks later...
Guest amb123

Thanks

I understand what you talking about. Yes, it is true that when you hold the phone to your ear, naturally, the phone is not really in upright position per say but rather on the side in horizontal position. That is why there is light sensor option available which makes your phone to lock/unlock without assuming a certain position. Using accelerator only, you have to maintain required positions.

unlocking & locking based on the light sensor & accelerometer is not really the best solution...

It's not ideal for sure, but unfortunately our omnias don't have a proximity sensor. One of the new HTC devices with Android is starting to look like an option for me soon....