Pre Purchase Questions

Guest elab

Hi,

I'm considering buying a Toshiba TG01 or HTC Hero as a replacement for my iPhone as my contract is about to expire. I've previously used Windows Mobile devices, the last being a HTC TyTn II, so I'm aware of the idiosyncrasies of the OS. I'm wondering if someone with a TG01 can answer a couple of questions.

How does the screen sensitivity compare to a TyTn II or similar device?

What is the MP3 audio quality like through a decent pair of headphones, is it comparable to the iPhone?

How is the screen visibility in direct sunlight?

How does the battery life compare with the iPhone?

I've been to the Orange store and I was very impressed with the build quality of the device I just need someone to convince to purchase it over the Hero :-) Any help is greatly appreciated.

Guest thebigshazbowski
Hi,

I'm considering buying a Toshiba TG01 or HTC Hero as a replacement for my iPhone as my contract is about to expire. I've previously used Windows Mobile devices, the last being a HTC TyTn II, so I'm aware of the idiosyncrasies of the OS. I'm wondering if someone with a TG01 can answer a couple of questions.

How does the screen sensitivity compare to a TyTn II or similar device?

What is the MP3 audio quality like through a decent pair of headphones, is it comparable to the iPhone?

How is the screen visibility in direct sunlight?

How does the battery life compare with the iPhone?

I've been to the Orange store and I was very impressed with the build quality of the device I just need someone to convince to purchase it over the Hero :-) Any help is greatly appreciated.

Much much better screen sensitivity

mp3 quality is comparable, (although I tend to use bluetooth using my Sony bt2aa). You can always install the SRSwow app for better sound

Screen visibility - tolerable. Uses a reflective coating which I hate. AMOLED is the way forward (although that is poor in sunlight too).

Battery - well depends what you use it for. Snapdragon is very good with it's power consumption. Aside from net and media usage you'll easily get a day out of it.

Be aware the phone uses the new mini-B usb cables! I had to go buy a few spares.... And there is no internal stylus - so think about your finger size and key entry - and how much text you write.

As with all winMo phones you'll have to customize the hell out of it until you're happy. If you're not up to it - then I'd say the Hero or the Omnia 2 are better straight out of the box.

Basically the Snapdragon power, divx/xvid, and the 4.1 inch screen (and the sexy build quality) are the only reasons to but this phone IMHO. Oh and the Snapdragon power is stunning. Of course iphone or android on snapdragon would be mind blowing....

hope that helps :-)

Much much better screen sensitivity

mp3 quality is comparable, (although I tend to use bluetooth using my Sony bt2aa). You can always install the SRSwow app for better sound

Screen visibility - tolerable. Uses a reflective coating which I hate. AMOLED is the way forward (although that is poor in sunlight too).

Battery - well depends what you use it for. Snapdragon is very good with it's power consumption. Aside from net and media usage you'll easily get a day out of it.

Be aware the phone uses the new mini-B usb cables! I had to go buy a few spares.... And there is no internal stylus - so think about your finger size and key entry - and how much text you write.

As with all winMo phones you'll have to customize the hell out of it until you're happy. If you're not up to it - then I'd say the Hero or the Omnia 2 are better straight out of the box.

Basically the Snapdragon power, divx/xvid, and the 4.1 inch screen (and the sexy build quality) are the only reasons to but this phone IMHO. Oh and the Snapdragon power is stunning. Of course iphone or android on snapdragon would be mind blowing....

hope that helps :-)

I've heard several people state that the in call volume and ringer volume are very low. I'd be interested in your experience, particularly regarding the in call volume.

Guest thebigshazbowski
I've heard several people state that the in call volume and ringer volume are very low. I'd be interested in your experience, particularly regarding the in call volume.

yup - exceptionally bad. The loud speaker on the back is also underpowered.

If you're brave and want to mess with Registry - then should be able to fix that. Everything through a headset wired or wireless is good however (which is how I use mine)