Omnia II i8000 (GSM) in the US

Guest Deniska

I know, I know, the Verizon version is coming; supposedly it will be known as SCH-i920.

What I'd like to know is how well the model released in Singapore (i8000) would work in the US, for example on the A&T network. From the specs it looks like UMTS1900 is supported, but UMTS850 is not. This means that only one of the two AT&T 3G bands is covered. Does anyone know how well that'd work? Would I get 3G/HSDPA coverage? Would it be worse, slower, or more spotty than with a set that supports 1900 and 850?

A second question would be with general reception and battery life. My concern is that if the radio firmware is not optimized for the US market, the device could possibly hunt for the signal a lot draining th battery quickly. I could be completely off, but thought I'd ask this as well.

I am especially curious to see if anyone in the US has obtained the device and could share actual experiences, but any educated thoughts are welcome. If you are in the US and have the device, a side question is... where did you get it and how much did it cost? ;)

Guest somedude

dont worry, i think at&t has its own versioin coming out. The fcc just approved a gms model.

edit: looks like that version is for latin america...

Edited by somedude

Guest IBTECH
Yeah, I saw that (GT-i8000), but unclear when it's coming and where.

Anyone else?

I am using the GT-i8000 in the SF Bay Area, and it works on 3g like a charm as this area is strong on 1900Mhz.

Most places where att had early 3g launch are 1900Mhz.

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
I am using the GT-i8000 in the SF Bay Area, and it works on 3g like a charm as this area is strong on 1900Mhz.

Where you bought the phone from and what original market it was for? Does it have a digital compass or a rumor that it can be hacked?

Guest IBTECH
Where you bought the phone from and what original market it was for? Does it have a digital compass or a rumor that it can be hacked?

I bought it on ebay, from Singapore.

I am not sure about the digital compass as I cant find any application for it. I am using Garmin XT on it no problem.

Guest Deniska

Thanks! This is good news. I'm itching to go on ebay :)

Guest Deniska
In Chicago still edge only, but downloads much faster than Omnia I, poosibly on par with my daughters I Phone 3G

Well, that sucks. I live in Chicago and travel a lot. If it's Edge only in Chicago, that means 3G coverage on 1900 in other cities will be spotty...

Guest Deniska
http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=2195

Read this... not so good news for us on att. I am very seriously considering skipping this whole generation of phones and wait for the next year's offerings. I could then buy one of "today's" phone if I don't like next year's phones ;)

I saw that article, and I also saw some articles with a contrary opinion. Either way, the previous post kind of confirms this. That said, I am pretty syched about the announcements of GT-i8000 with UMTS850/1900 passing FCC last week. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

My wish list now is... GT-i8000 with AT&T's 3G bands, a nicely cooked WinMo6.5-based ROM, choice of TouchWiz and TF3D... and we are off to the races :)

Guest whatledog
I saw that article, and I also saw some articles with a contrary opinion. Either way, the previous post kind of confirms this. That said, I am pretty syched about the announcements of GT-i8000 with UMTS850/1900 passing FCC last week. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

My wish list now is... GT-i8000 with AT&T's 3G bands, a nicely cooked WinMo6.5-based ROM, choice of TouchWiz and TF3D... and we are off to the races ;)

Iknow, Iknow, but remember that att got the omnia passed, and we ended up with the "eternity", not winmo at all... :)