VZAccess Manager Vs Internet Sharing

Guest RoyalDrew

Guest RoyalDrew

I haven't seen any other topics related to the different speeds i experience when i would use the VZAccess Manager(before i started using custom ROMS) and the Internet Sharing app that seems to be included in most of the custom Roms. After flashing to the custom roms i've noticed that VZAccess no longer recognizes my phone. I know that they use a different type of connection and the speeds of the internet sharing app(60kbytes/s) are around half of what i could get with the Broadband connection(120kbytes/s) through VZAccess. I was wondering if there was a setting in the connections of the phone that would change the way Internet Sharing connects to the net to give me better speeds.

Guest necosino

I don't think this is valid at all. I've used VZ Acess in the past, and did not notice any speed difference between then and now using the WinMo ICS.

Guest necosino

Just to test I downloaded an episode of Family Guy from TPB with WinMobile Torrent and was downloading at 100-140kb/s, with poor reception (I'm inside a building).

Better reception = faster speeds :)

Guest level140
Just to test I downloaded an episode of Family Guy from TPB with WinMobile Torrent and was downloading at 100-140kb/s, with poor reception (I'm inside a building).

Better reception = faster speeds :)

Don't pass your "unlimited" data cap. Unlimited != 5gb Verizon >_<

I almost got disconnected, but then I told them I would cancel all of my services(Phone, wireless, Fios) and they were a lot nicer after that ;)

Guest necosino

I only download like 2 movies a week (~1.5GB) and some episodes of of tv shows to watch at work if I'm bored (lol..) Anything big I just download on my pc. 1.5Mb/s ~! 150kb/s :)

Guest RoyalDrew
Yeah, it's the same connection, same way of connecting, just free.

Well i know for a fact that it connects differently to my PC. When i use the VZAccess it's listed under dialup connections and using internet sharing it creates a temporary Local Area Connection. The question is if it is using the same protocols and 'dialing' the same connection. I realised it when i noticed more lag in streaming video from youtube. Then i tested the download speeds and i also had slower results from the Internet Sharing. But i guess nobody else is having this issue ;( . No biggie, i was just wondering if there was a quick fix.

Guest Adrynalyne
Well i know for a fact that it connects differently to my PC. When i use the VZAccess it's listed under dialup connections and using internet sharing it creates a temporary Local Area Connection. The question is if it is using the same protocols and 'dialing' the same connection. I realised it when i noticed more lag in streaming video from youtube. Then i tested the download speeds and i also had slower results from the Internet Sharing. But i guess nobody else is having this issue ;( . No biggie, i was just wondering if there was a quick fix.

Protocols?

Both use TCP/IP.

Connection?

Both connect to Verizon EVDO. Even if it dialed a different connection, and it doesn't, it still connects to the same network.

Guest RoyalDrew
Protocols?

Both use TCP/IP.

Connection?

Both connect to Verizon EVDO. Even if it dialed a different connection, and it doesn't, it still connects to the same network.

Well it seems that i should take your word for it since it doesn't seem that anyone else is having this problem. The only think i can say is that possibly it was a fluke that each time i used the 'high speed packet data' in VZAccess i had better speeds than the Internet Sharing.

Guest bluetooth_decay
Protocols?

Both use TCP/IP.

Connection?

I don't have VZAccess, but I've seen it on a friend's laptop (he has an aircard). Since one must install the phone/aircard drivers to use it, I assume it acts like the phone/aircard is a dial-up modem (sort of like back in the day on feature phones when frugal or occasional tetherers had to use QPST to change the "tethered NAI"... :)). The phone in this case probably does little processing on the packet data itself.

With ICS, on the other hand, the phone is acting like a router. It is NATing the packets going in and out at the minimum, and possibly firewalling them as well (though it appears this latter bit can only be set up with something like ICSControl). There is therefore more overhead from the phone's point of view, though a 500+ MHz ARM chip ought to be able to keep up easily at the data rate we are using here.

In sum, the two methods are different, but unless the WinMo IP/routing stack really sucks, there should not be a great speed difference under real-world conditions. And ICS is a lot more convenient, and with ICSControl, more powerful.

Edited by bluetooth_decay

Guest strong sad

How does VZ reconize the data flow when ICS is used? Does Verizon know that a computer is tethered or does it mask all the traffic as coming from the phone itself? I say this because I was under the impression that if you just had the Email and Web for the smart phone if you tethered your phone to the computer they would charge you extra money, and in order to tether your phone you needed the Unlimited data package.

Guest blazingwolf
How does VZ reconize the data flow when ICS is used? Does Verizon know that a computer is tethered or does it mask all the traffic as coming from the phone itself? I say this because I was under the impression that if you just had the Email and Web for the smart phone if you tethered your phone to the computer they would charge you extra money, and in order to tether your phone you needed the Unlimited data package.

First, there is no Unlimited data package. All data packages are capped a 5GB.

As for ICS no, they can't see how you are using it. That is why the remove it and add their own program. With their program they can tell you are tethering.

Guest strong sad

As for ICS no, they can't see how you are using it. That is why the remove it and add their own program. With their program they can tell you are tethering.

Then the "unlimited" data package is useless if you have ICS because you can just use ICS and tether even with the basic web and email package and they won't know. LOL man they are evil.

• 4 weeks later...

everytime i try and use internet sharing i am only online for about 5 min or less then i get a message on the phone saying that the remote host disconnected me (i think thats the error, i did it the other day so im not 100%) or something, it was along those lines..

anyone else get that?

update, just tried again on b23034

i get "the remote party has ended this connection" after about 20 seconds. in that 20 seconds i pair just fine and have about enough time to bring up a .com before it gets kicked

Edited by ugzz

Guest jaycarl

Using ICS I always get disconnected after the first 5 minutes of use. After I disconnect then reconnect again I usually get disconnected again after 30min but sometimes it stays connected for hours.

Have been trying to find a pattern with disconnects using ICS but so far there is no pattern. It seems to disconnect intermittently.

VZaccess never disconnected like this. Considering ICS saves me $30 a month I can deal with it with a smile on my face:)

Using ICS I always get disconnected after the first 5 minutes of use. After I disconnect then reconnect again I usually get disconnected again after 30min but sometimes it stays connected for hours.

Have been trying to find a pattern with disconnects using ICS but so far there is no pattern. It seems to disconnect intermittently.

VZaccess never disconnected like this. Considering ICS saves me $30 a month I can deal with it with a smile on my face:)

i wish i had that kind of time, i still have no luck. just tried again and same thing, i gets booted right away

Ive asked this question several times VZW access IS faster.

I just downloaded BW latest beta it took 1/2 hour using ICS on a Bgill Rom.

After loading BW's beta that allows me to use VZW access, because Bgill"s has a SWMC.exe error that won't allow VZW access it only took 8 minutes to download another copy of BW's beta rom.

eight minutes compared to thirty minutes.....

This is the main reason I switched from Bgill's rom back to Blazingwolf's rom :D

Guest jaycarl

Someone else reported having problems with Bgill's using ICS. They also switched back to BW rom.

This morning while waiting for my carpool I had the opportunity to compare download speeds using ICS and VZaccess.

The results were fascinating.

VZaccess: 750 down - 435 up

ICS: 1112 down - 675 up

(used DSLreports)

Both had full signal bars. It was my Omnia using ICS and a college student I met the other day using VZaccess. The test was conducted on her netbook since it had VZaccess and mine did not. She was running the stock CF03 and I am currently running BW 1.4.

Strangely, I experienced no disconnects during the test.

BTW she was amazed by how I had my phone setup and wanted me to flash hers to BWs rom. I really don't like doing things like this for people I don't really know, but we all know women can be very persuasive.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dbsimms63
Someone else reported having problems with Bgill's using ICS. They also switched back to BW rom.

This morning while waiting for my carpool I had the opportunity to compare download speeds using ICS and VZaccess.

The results were fascinating.

VZaccess: 750 down - 435 up

ICS: 1112 down - 675 up

(used DSLreports)

Both had full signal bars. It was my Omnia using ICS and a college student I met the other day using VZaccess. The test was conducted on her netbook since it had VZaccess and mine did not. She was running the stock CF03 and I am currently running BW 1.4.

Strangely, I experienced no disconnects during the test.

BTW she was amazed by how I had my phone setup and wanted me to flash hers to BWs rom. I really don't like doing things like this for people I don't really know, but we all know women can be very persuasive.

When you say you are using ICS, are you sharing the Verizon EVDO connection are connecting to another broadband source? I installed ICS on my i910 so I could use WMWifiRouter v. 0.91 and allow me to get on the internet using my phone as a broadband modem. I live in a rural area with no providers. And since Verizon makes me get the data package with my Omnia, I figured I should use that to surf the net with my laptop, but I wasn't going to spend extra $$ for the privilege of using a notebook card and paying tethering fees. Also, the WMWifiRouter turns the phone into a Wifi hotspot so other devices, like my HP printer, can all connect together in a little LAN. I never downloaded the VZ Access Manager program because I knew i would never want to pay to tether. Am I missing something in data transfer speeds by doing this? I can watch You Tube videos on my laptop and Netflix movies, so I am just wondering. I always thought the Windows ICS was just a program that allowed devices to share an internet connection, didn't think it had anyhting to do with the speed of that connection or how fast data is transferred.

When you say you are using ICS, are you sharing the Verizon EVDO connection are connecting to another broadband source? I installed ICS on my i910 so I could use WMWifiRouter v. 0.91 and allow me to get on the internet using my phone as a broadband modem. I live in a rural area with no providers. And since Verizon makes me get the data package with my Omnia, I figured I should use that to surf the net with my laptop, but I wasn't going to spend extra $ for the privilege of using a notebook card and paying tethering fees. Also, the WMWifiRouter turns the phone into a Wifi hotspot so other devices, like my HP printer, can all connect together in a little LAN. I never downloaded the VZ Access Manager program because I knew i would never want to pay to tether. Am I missing something in data transfer speeds by doing this? I can watch You Tube videos on my laptop and Netflix movies, so I am just wondering. I always thought the Windows ICS was just a program that allowed devices to share an internet connection, didn't think it had anyhting to do with the speed of that connection or how fast data is transferred.

Yes, ICS is only used to share a data connection from your phone to another device (wired or bluetooth).

This thread is about difference in speeds people are experiencing using VZaccess and ICS. My post was about my personal experiences sharing data using those appps.

ICS alone can be used to share data with a laptop via USB cable or through bluetooth (much slower via bluetooth) for free with only the $29.99 unlimited data plan.

VZaccess is a app that lets you share your data with a laptop but you have to pay Verizon $30 more ($60 total) to tether.

Correct, you do need ICS installed for any WiFi Router program to work.

Some advice; if I was you I would seriously consider watching how much data your using because if you keep going over the 5GB cap Verizon will shut your data connection off. I have seen this happen to people a few times and they can no longer can get a data plan from Verizon. One of them took them to court over this and lost.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tmcarr

I have an Unlimited data plan. Ive gone well over 5Gb in a month, and no special charges were incurred. I dont get their fastest internet, but I do get unlimited.