Sample Photos & Video

Guest Quist09
I believe the camera has improved as it takes the shots very quickly, i know what you mean with the delay snap shot with the i900 i had issues with that too..

here is a shot outside my place, you can decide, i have set the camera at +1 to cont,sat,sharp... you judge it :)

Thanks for your quick reply and the sample, FerdiBorbon.

I'm still on the fence on this one. I'm usually more one to rely on peoples' self assessments of their new phones, but also happened to look at these sample videos and some on other forums, then just happened to look at the D1 video I took on my i8910. From the samples I've seen so far, there is a magnitude of difference between the i8910 camera stills and video compared with the i8000.

The D1 video on the i8910 is virtually the same quality as the HD, just a little smaller and without dropped frames. The D1 video on the i8000 seems to have dropped frames and a bit of noise. Stills on both are excellent, but 6 mpix widescreen on my i8910 is noticeably sharper and clearer (as would be expected).

Now I just have to decide if I can live with the Symbian and less than optimum text entry on the i8910 to have better pics/vids or if I really need WinMo and can be happy with the slightly less sharp pics/vids of the i8000. Still, the i8000 appears to be so much better than the i900 that I figure if I hadn't already got the i8910 I would definitely get the i8000.

Guest FerdiBorbon

No probs man, by the way how many rom updates have there been for the Omnia HD?

Also i watched another vid from HD blog filming with the HD on a bike pretty good no lag video capture...

Well i guess if you go to the i8000 u lose the 8mp HD but have a better community support for winmo, i guess...

i was on symbian b4 and i found it a bit difficult to find decent apps etc...i dont know if that has changed now though..

Guest Quist09
No probs man, by the way how many rom updates have there been for the Omnia HD?

Also i watched another vid from HD blog filming with the HD on a bike pretty good no lag video capture...

Well i guess if you go to the i8000 u lose the 8mp HD but have a better community support for winmo, i guess...

i was on symbian b4 and i found it a bit difficult to find decent apps etc...i dont know if that has changed now though..

Samsung's been surprisingly prolific with their updates and some guys working at support centres (from what I gather) have also been providing stock ROMs. I bought my 16 GB i8910 in early June and have already had one official ROM update (Nordic market) and am now waiting for another impending update to resolve sound issues on video recording.

Worse thing about Symbian is how hard it is to customise the phone and the lack of cooked ROMs. I've had an E61 and N95 8GB as well as the TyTN, i900 and Touch HD, and for business you can't beat WinMo, plus you're not reliant on the manufacturer for all improvements, but can instead get a great deal out of cooked ROMs. On my i900, I hacked the qwerty keyboard with my own Swedish version and with XT9 could type as fast and accurately on the unit as I can on my PC. Typing on the i8910 is a major PITA and best done with the phone keypad and XT9 (which isn't optimal if you type in more than one language).

Anyway, I'm thinking I'll stick to my i8910 at least until the i8000 reaches my market and I'll decide then. By then, both phones should have received a few more ROM upgrades and more people will have done some reviews and comparisons. Thanks again for the info on your i8000! I'm still a little jealous :)

Got my Omnia 2 today, very very good !

tested video capture, result so far, with processor speed at High:

- for me, best settings are Adjust/Set/Sharpness to +2 (max). this because this will expose the "real" encoded video, anything lower than this will start simple blurring the picture to get rid of encoding artefacts. To get rid of encoding artefacts it's better to do this afterwards on the PC with some much better postprocessing/deblocking.

- framerate is constant 30fps in light and dark rooms (where you can use the flash), top !

- be careful not to shoot when you have phone connected to PC with activesync, in my case framerate dropped to 22.

- compared to Omnia 1, the picture-quality of the video is less, as the compression codec is the same , mp4v ( sadly no H264), but bitrate is lower while having a much higher framerate! eg more compression . Used Video quality High.

But with some good postprocessing it approaches it.

If Samsung, (reading this ?) would be so kind to increase the bitrate, eg decrease compression factor, please ? Only for the high quality.

- sound on video has a whistling high pitched noise, which is clearly some bug in the audio encoding. Next ROM-update please :-)

That's it for now. Btw pleasant 1st surprises in this device:

-sd-card is hot swappable.

- you can connect external headphone but still use the internal Mic, phone will kindly ask if you want to use headset or headphone, or tv-out.

Joozzt