Omnia 2 Memory management

so for the users that do have this phone how is the memory management ?

the Omnia i900 was horrible. low memory

I currently have the x1

STORAGE:

TOTAL: 271.87MB

IN USE: 45.95MB

FREE: 225.92

PROGRAM:

TOTAL: 200.48MB

IN USE: 74.85MB

FREE: 125.63MB

SO how does the Omnia 2 compare to the X1?

Guest AndrewTan
so for the users that do have this phone how is the memory management ?

the Omnia i900 was horrible. low memory

I currently have the x1

STORAGE:

TOTAL: 271.87MB

IN USE: 45.95MB

FREE: 225.92

PROGRAM:

TOTAL: 200.48MB

IN USE: 74.85MB

FREE: 125.63MB

SO how does the Omnia 2 compare to the X1?

Samsung reserved some for RAM & ROM as seen below:

3797760864_7ac192edb5_o.jpg3797760816_4578deee1c_o.jpg

3796944745_050f10d673_o.jpg3796944713_dbd9f65368_o.jpg

Guest FerdiBorbon

my main storage is nearly filled up ive got like 10mb left, too much still taken by samsung stock apps, when custom roms come we should have more main storage space, and probably have more free program memory :)

Guest sanyboi
my main storage is nearly filled up ive got like 10mb left, too much still taken by samsung stock apps, when custom roms come we should have more main storage space, and probably have more free program memory :)

If you revert back to the standard windows mobile interface, ie disable touchwiz how much program ram can you get back? Cheers

Guest FerdiBorbon
If you revert back to the standard windows mobile interface, ie disable touchwiz how much program ram can you get back? Cheers

Well i disabled toouchwiz, and went back to standard today screen (no widgets) and using PointUi instead, i have 80mb free prgram ram

Guest La Traviata

So basically the memory management is just as crap as in Omnia I, i.e. not a lot of space to install your own apps? And I assume that internet cache, downloads, message attachments and so on default again to the main device memory and fill it up even more, unless you change the registry? And if you do that some pre-installed stuff like media album (or whatever it is called on Omnia II) doesn't work right anymore because it can't find your media files, e.g. photos, unless you put them in the already-too-small main device memory? That's really disappointing, it is one of my main gripes with Omnia I.

Samsung reserved some for RAM & ROM as seen below:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3524/379776...578deee1c_o.jpg

I have a question about the "delete" buttons appearing next to the apps in this pic. Does that mean we can delete some pre-installed apps or are those your own apps? Many thanks!

Edited by La Traviata

Guest ahillies

Just a question...i noticed that whenever i installed a application into the memory card somehow it end up in my "Main Storage" memory, thereby used up the main storage memory. I did not notice this when i did using my HTC tyTn II. I also tried to install into "My Storage", it went into "Main Storage"...!!?? Can someone help? Thanks Alot

Guest necosino
Just a question...i noticed that whenever i installed a application into the memory card somehow it end up in my "Main Storage" memory, thereby used up the main storage memory. I did not notice this when i did using my HTC tyTn II. I also tried to install into "My Storage", it went into "Main Storage"...!!?? Can someone help? Thanks Alot

I haven't noticed this at all. The only time this happened to me is when unzipping a file it would temporarily store it in the main storage until a soft reset to clear it out.

Also, as far as the "reserved" space goes, I'm pretty sure that's the ROM bloatware and that once we start cooking that will shrink quite quickly :)

Guest La Traviata
Also, as far as the "reserved" space goes, I'm pretty sure that's the ROM bloatware and that once we start cooking that will shrink quite quickly :)

Yes, but we shouldn't have to cook our own ROMs just to make the phone usable. And personally I am wary of flashing because I want to use my phone without contract (don't want to lose my great SIM only tariff), so if I brick it it's gone.

Guest alvinaloy

If you are referring to Samsung's Memory interface, it's just that installed applications are lumped into the "Main Storage" part. It does not mean that they are installed on the Main Storage. Just that the Main Storage is the place to manage it. Much like WinMo's Settings > Remove a Program.

Guest alvinaloy
Just install everything to the internal storage then, or spend $50 on a nice 8GB SD card :)

Certain apps run better on main storage. SIPs (IMO) for one, and .Net CF 3.5 too. Anyway, I just spent SGD$123 on a 16GB Class 6 SDHC Micro-SD. Think that should last me a couple of years before finding the need to upgrade.

Guest La Traviata
Just install everything to the internal storage then, or spend $50 on a nice 8GB SD card

Some apps have to be installed in the main device memory because otherwise they don't run or crash the phone. And even if you install all your apps in My Storage or Storage Card certain files still end up in main device memory. The only apps I have installed in main device memory on my Omnia I are SPB Mobile Shell and Asian localisation support and SIPs, everything else is in My Storage or Storage Card with internet cache, cookies and so on redirected to My Storage as well, and I only have about 18MB left. That's why I ask so many questions about Asian language support on Singapore handsets, it would save me alot of storage space if I could get that out of the box (although I would lose the handwriting input I currently have, which is very useful for looking up unfamiliar characters). So yeah, unfortunately it's not that simple.

Edited by La Traviata

Guest CF Chong
Some apps have to be installed in the main device memory because otherwise they don't run or crash the phone. And even if you install all your apps in My Storage or Storage Card certain files still end up in main device memory. The only apps I have installed in main device memory on my Omnia I are SPB Mobile Shell and Asian localisation support and SIPs, everything else is in My Storage or Storage Card with internet cache, cookies and so on redirected to My Storage as well, and I only have about 18MB left. That's why I ask so many questions about Asian language support on Singapore handsets, it would save me alot of storage space if I could get that out of the box (although I would lose the handwriting input I currently have, which is very useful for looking up unfamiliar characters). So yeah, unfortunately it's not that simple.

I have 52.64MB of Main Storage after installing the following apps:

David Andrs pRSSreader

Agis NAVFone PPC

Skype Software SARL Sype for Windows Mobile

DinarSoft MemMaid

Microsoft .NET CF 3.5

KixASS BluePower

Spb Diary

Company 100, Inc. Dorothy Browser

J.S. Advanced Configuration Tool 3.3

Clarence K Chau PocketToolman

SoftWinter Storage Tools

LocatioNet amAzeGPS

A_C S2U2

C. Ghisler & Co. Total Commander

Micromega MSS Converter

Xrgomics TenGO Thumb

wau WkTASK

JAL Port Splitter

Sprite Software Sprite Backup

MapKing 2007

As My Storage is not removable, I installed all the apps to My Storage although some will automatically installed itself in Main Storage regardless of which storage was selected while some will have a file or two in Main Storage and the other files in My Storage.

Configured mail attachments to My Storage from the tmail tools option

Configured pRSSreader cache to My Storage using the cache location option

Configured camera to write to My Storage\DCIM using Advanced Configuration Tool

On the RAM, I reduced the memory low threshold so that more programs can run concurrently without been closed unexpectedly.

Pocket PC FAQ Wiki

Guest AndrewTan
So basically the memory management is just as crap as in Omnia I, i.e. not a lot of space to install your own apps? And I assume that internet cache, downloads, message attachments and so on default again to the main device memory and fill it up even more, unless you change the registry? And if you do that some pre-installed stuff like media album (or whatever it is called on Omnia II) doesn't work right anymore because it can't find your media files, e.g. photos, unless you put them in the already-too-small main device memory? That's really disappointing, it is one of my main gripes with Omnia I.

I have a question about the "delete" buttons appearing next to the apps in this pic. Does that mean we can delete some pre-installed apps or are those your own apps? Many thanks!

The "Delete" means uninstall the program from the device. All program install nor-matter at where (Main Storage, My Storage or Storage Card) will appear here.

You can put whatever photos, songs, video in everywhere. I put my snap photos & application in My Storage-8GB unless specific must be in main storage like SPB Mobile Shell, currently only SPB Mobile Shell & TouchPal is install at Main Storage. Songs & videos at storage card-8GB microSD.

The touch player will recognize it once you do updates (search). What I don't like about this idea is they list down all they found. I hope the touch player have option to choose which specific folder only not all the folder.

I already install more than 30 applications / games in my OMNIA II, it still function well, no more lagging than before and no issues. :D

• 3 months later...

This is with a bunch of apps installed. Don't feel like listing them. Touchwiz/Widgetplus disabled. SPB installed. Moved the IE cache to my storage and deleted the vcast video and music folders, because I'll never use them (~16 MB)

e67cf646-2d25-4fff-950f-c0170ddef7c.jpg

Guest costipl
I had more than 70 mb free space in main storage.

Same here - stock Samsung phone, without any operator branding.

Also, photos default to My Storage\DCIM from the start, never had to tweak it.