69 replies to this topic

JaGuR

JaGuR

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Devices:Omnia i900
Only have it protecting calllocker, and orientation app.

Working good at not killing them as they were the ones that were getting dropped.

The only problem I had, which looks as though you may have fixed in this new revision is, I couldn't get the apps to open up again.

Will try the new revision

Thanks again for your work on this problem,

Big Thumbs up !!!

Edited by JaGuR, 10 August 2009 - 10:49 PM.

naynada

naynada

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Devices:Nexus One, ZTE v9, Omnia i900
Hmm, tried to use Showcase to reopen protected apps...but they didn't appear in the list...strange. (this was with EverApp 0.1)

Question -- is there a driving need to protect FingerPoint with EverApp?

On FingerPoint's first run, there is quite a significant lag on one of its app launching menus as it has to cache the installed applications - or something like that.

Version 0.2 Beta released...

V0.2 Beta

• EverApp now functions as an App Launcher. Activating a non-running app will launch it.
  • EverAppCmd included, which allows activation of apps without having to use the UI.
  • Added "Manage Duplicates" for individual applications. When enabled, EverApp will detect if a second instance of a protected app is launched, kill it, and bring the original protected app into the foreground.

Nice, quick update. Will try tonight.

Edited by naynada, 11 August 2009 - 05:24 AM.

zagzag99

zagzag99

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Hi Zag. Thanks.

Question -- is there a driving need to protect FingerPoint with EverApp? From what I've read, FingerPoint is an app launcher. Isn't it easier to simply bind FingerPoint to a hard/softkey itself rather than trying to keep it running full-time under EverApp? Or is there something FingerPoint does that's worth keeping it running full-time that I'm not aware of? Thanks.

And yep -- that's exactly how the EA command line functionality will work.

Z

The down sides of FingerPoint are: The Splash screen that appears on first load and the lag of scanning the All Programs for the first time.
That's why one would rather have this app kept from being killed so that those delays will be experienced only once (after reset)

I will try 0.2 now. Thanks for your quick response and coding.

zagzag99

zagzag99

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I just tried 0.2 with FingerPoint.
The "Manage Duplicates" does work for 1-2 times and then it will no longer re-activate the protected process without going to EverApp UI.
:-(

I didn't yet managed to get the EACmdLine to work, I'll try later.

zman919

zman919

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

I just tried 0.2 with FingerPoint.
The "Manage Duplicates" does work for 1-2 times and then it will no longer re-activate the protected process without going to EverApp UI.
:-(

Interesting. There must be a timing issue or a race condition that is causing the logic to fall down.

Wanna be a guinea pig? :)

Go to HKLM\Software\EverApp and set debug to 1. Restart the EA protection service through the UI. Then play with EA enough to reproduce the problem. Stop the EA protection service. Reset the registry key to 0.

Send me debug.log from the application directory. (You can post here if you want, there's nothing confidential in it). I might be able to diagnose the failure from that. Otherwise I'll install FingerPoint and see if I can reproduce.

Format for the shortcut would be: \full\path\to\EACmdLine.exe show "\full\path\to\target"

Thanks,
Z

Edited by zman919, 11 August 2009 - 11:25 AM.

zagzag99

zagzag99

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Interesting. There must be a timing issue or a race condition that is causing the logic to fall down.

Wanna be a guinea pig? :)

Go to HKLM\Software\EverApp and set debug to 1. Restart the EA protection service through the UI. Then play with EA enough to reproduce the problem. Stop the EA protection service. Reset the registry key to 0.

Send me debug.log from the application directory. (You can post here if you want, there's nothing confidential in it). I might be able to diagnose the failure from that. Otherwise I'll install FingerPoint and see if I can reproduce.
Format for the shortcut would be: \full\path\to\EACmdLine.exe show "\full\path\to\target"

Thanks,
Z

I don't have : HKLM\Software\EverApp

I tried to create one, and I created a value debug (DWORD) = 1

Doesn't seem to make any debug.log in EverApp's folder.

zman919

zman919

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Sorry... HKLM\Software\zman818\EverApp

:)

zagzag99

zagzag99

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Sorry... HKLM\Software\zman818\EverApp

:)

Here's the Log.
From what it says it can't protect FingerPoint because there's no Main Window.

The scenario I debugged:
I've added FingerPoint.exe to the protected list.
Started EverApp.
Started the Service.
Launched FingerPoint.exe for the first time (via assigned button).
Minimized FingerPoint.exe (it's still runs in background)
Relaunced FingerPoint.exe via button -> Nothing happens... (x2)
Switched to EverApp and Activated FingerPoint.exe from EverApp -> that's works.
Closed EAService.
Closed EverApp.

Attached Files

Edited by zagzag99, 12 August 2009 - 08:08 AM.

zman919

zman919

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Thanks. The log isn't showing a problem, so I'll have to roll up my sleeves and look into it. FYI - EverApp will have a trouble with apps that work like this...

1) Launch executable (which is really just a helper process)
2) Helper checks for presence of the actual Worker process. If it exists, it raises the Worker processes' window. If it doesn't exist, it launches Worker process (and raises its window).
3) Helper process then dies.

In this case under EverApp, the Worker process is detected by the Helper, but since we've rejiggered the Worker processes' window in a pretty significant way, the Helper process can't raise the window. This may or may not be what's happening with FingerPoint. I'll try to dope it out. Thanks.

From what it says it can't protect FingerPoint because there's no Main Window.

The No Main Window just indicates that the process it's protecting doesn't (yet) have a main window, usually because it's still starting up.

zman919

zman919

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Relaunced FingerPoint.exe via button -> Nothing happens... (x2)

Oh... hang on. Remember, FingerPoint.exe is already running (and protected by EverApp). This may just be WM and/or FingerPoint itself detecting (and preventing) multiple instances. Alternatively, FingerPoint may *think* its redisplaying its window on the second launch, but since it's not aware that it's being protected by EverApp it isn't able to.

Your best bet would be to launch FingerPoint via EACmdLine.exe.

zman919

zman919

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Update - next version will enhance the list with a full-fledged task manager + app launcher.

zagzag99

zagzag99

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Using the EACmdLine I can make FingerPoint keep appearing.
There's the slight delay of command execution but one can live with that.
Thanks, now I can protect my launcher and today screen from getting killed.

I am waiting for the first time I'll get a message "Out of Memory" :-)

naynada

naynada

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Update - next version will enhance the list with a full-fledged task manager + app launcher.

Looking forward to it. When you say task manager, do you mean ala HTC Taskmanager/Showcase etc? If so, that would be excellent.

Also, I found that EverApp was not able to successfully "manage duplicates" with Nitrogen... =/

Edited by naynada, 17 August 2009 - 09:51 AM.

zman919

zman919

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Looking forward to it. When you say task manager, do you mean ala HTC Taskmanager/Showcase etc? If so, that would be excellent.

Also, I found that EverApp was not able to successfully "manage duplicates" with Nitrogen... =/

Precisely. Still working out the kinks, but EA will be able to function as an App Launcher independent of window protection. Additionally, EA can monitor all running tasks (again, independent of protection). Items will be color-keyed based on what they are/how they're handled.

As for Nitrogen, I'll have to look at it. Thanks.

Z

NewKlNGjames

NewKlNGjames

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
thank you so much for the program. it really is a life saver. I found a push email program called emoze, that kept getting killed, resulting in no email at all! no problems since I installed.

zman919

zman919

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

thank you so much for the program. it really is a life saver. I found a push email program called emoze, that kept getting killed, resulting in no email at all! no problems since I installed.

Thanks. Glad it helped!

asraf09

asraf09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Devices:dopod 818pro
Hi guys,

Any alternative site to download this file like 4shared. Thank you in advance...

naynada

naynada

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Hi guys,

Any alternative site to download this file like 4shared. Thank you in advance...

Here you go. =]

http://www.4shared.c...taller_V02.html

asraf09

asraf09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Devices:dopod 818pro
Naynada, Thank you very much granding my wish... you are the best....

Here you go. =]

http://www.4shared.c...taller_V02.html

zman919

zman919

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Just a little teaser of what's coming in v0.3. I've forgotten how much fun (not) writing custom CF controls is.... :D

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users