Any news on the Galaxy release date?

Guest wertyu

Guest wertyu

Hello All,

I'm due for an upgrade and desperate to get an Android phone. I'm really torn between the Hero and the Galaxy. Do we have any confirmed details on which provider and what date the Galaxy will appear on?

Thanks

Guest kam187
Hello All,

I'm due for an upgrade and desperate to get an Android phone. I'm really torn between the Hero and the Galaxy. Do we have any confirmed details on which provider and what date the Galaxy will appear on?

Thanks

Where? In the uk its being released on O2 this week (in store 13th or 14th). It looks expensive on O2 tho.

You can also buy it sim free from germany for about £410 delivered

Guest wertyu
Where? In the uk its being released on O2 this week (in store 13th or 14th). It looks expensive on O2 tho.

You can also buy it sim free from germany for about £410 delivered

Yes in the UK. I see from your username you have posted on several other forums regarding Hero vs Galaxy. How much do you think it will be on O2?

Guest kam187
Yes in the UK. I see from your username you have posted on several other forums regarding Hero vs Galaxy. How much do you think it will be on O2?

Yeah I have both at the moment. I'm waiting for the Hero unlock code and then it will go on ebay (Its the black T-Mobile one).

Direct from the O2 forum (http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=24354)

Release date - week commencing 10th August

£44 a month - free handset

£35 a month - £97.86 for phone

£30 a month - £146.80 for phone

£25 a month - £195.00 for phone

£20 a month - £244.67 for phone

Guest wertyu
Yeah I have both at the moment. I'm waiting for the Hero unlock code and then it will go on ebay (Its the black T-Mobile one).

Thanks for the info. Given this, then it appears the Hero is cheaper.

I see you prefer the Galaxy -is that because of the Screen and Camera? As the Hero appears have a better UI and is just quick - performance wise.

Guest kam187
Thanks for the info. Given this, then it appears the Hero is cheaper.

I see you prefer the Galaxy -is that because of the Screen and Camera? As the Hero appears have a better UI and is just quick - performance wise.

Yeah, its the camera (small difference) and flash (its poorly timed tho), the screen (big difference), bigger battery (Can't tell yet as the samsung has a buggy firmware which is causing reboots), thinner, and no chin (dealbreaker for me, the Hero was anoying in my pocket).

Speed wise they are very similar. The only thing that actually made me think twice was the RAM.

The samsung has 192mb with 40mb free on fresh boot with a couple of widgets. The Hero has 288mb with 65 to 70mb free with the HTC UI running and the default widgets. I imagine if you turned the HTC UI off you'd have 70 to 80mb free.

I thought for a long time about this memory difference, because you really don't know where android is heading. It may be that in the next year the samsung will end up with a minimised kernel to leave enough ram free for apps. But in the end I decided the samsung is overall a nicer phone.

I also noticed that the main thing that eats up ram in normal use is widgets. But there's only realistically so many {usefull} widgets you can run because they also eat battery. So on that front the ram won't make a huge difference to me.

The UI on the Hero is very nice too, but not that important to me.

Edited by kam187

Guest wertyu
Yeah, its the camera (small difference) and flash (its poorly timed tho), the screen (big difference), bigger battery (Can't tell yet as the samsung has a buggy firmware which is causing reboots), thinner, and no chin (dealbreaker for me, the Hero was anoying in my pocket).

Speed wise they are very similar. The only thing that actually made me think twice was the RAM.

The samsung has 192mb with 40mb free on fresh boot with a couple of widgets. The Hero has 288mb with 65 to 70mb free with the HTC UI running and the default widgets. I imagine if you turned the HTC UI off you'd have 70 to 80mb free.

I thought for a long time about this memory difference, because you really don't know where android is heading. It may be that in the next year the samsung will end up with a minimised kernel to leave enough ram free for apps. But in the end I decided the samsung is overall a nicer phone.

I also noticed that the main thing that eats up ram in normal use is widgets. But there's only realistically so many {usefull} widgets you can run because they also eat battery. So on that front the ram won't make a huge difference to me.

The UI on the Hero is very nice too, but not that important to me.

Cheers thanks, thats very useful. I think the question for me is if the Galaxy is worth the extra £s. But i wont know for sure till its released. I'm defo getting a 12 month only contract so i can upgrade ASAP. As theres gonna be quite a few Androids out in the near future.

Guest kam187
Cheers thanks, thats very useful. I think the question for me is if the Galaxy is worth the extra £s. But i wont know for sure till its released. I'm defo getting a 12 month only contract so i can upgrade ASAP. As theres gonna be quite a few Androids out in the near future.

Personally I just go with the best deal (phone) at the time, and then sell it to fund the actual phone I want. Usually the phones on network are boring or just crap! This time its a little different i guess, because the Hero is a very good phone. I do find tho that you get really ripped off on 12 month contracts usually.

When i say best deal I mean least overall cost for the tariff I want per month = [(number months x line rental) + any upfront charge for the phone - ebay price to sell the phone)]/number of months

Same with upgrades if I dont port, i pick the phone where this is the highest = ebay price to sell the phone - upfront charge for the phone upgrade

(Usually its some nokia N ninety something)

Doing it that way, it doesnt actually matter how long the contract is. You buy a new phone when you want one, and any phone u like not just the one on the networks. Bit of hassle tho :)

Edited by kam187

Guest ccsnet

The above thread says its fail accreditation.... off to read another big on going thred here - http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2453...c&start=285

Terran