Co Pilot 8 is here

Guest vinaymanro

Guest itsnotmeeee
11-Aug-2009_1.png

CoPilot Live v8 sets a new standard in mobile navigation. It's the most powerful CoPilot yet, bringing the latest navigation and mapping technology to your smartphone to make every journey easier - and every journey better.

11-Aug-2009_Copilot8.jpg
With maps stored on the phone and no monthly fees, it's your own knowledgeable and constantly informed companion by your side that's always ready to guide you to your destination. Equally as effective in-car or on-foot, it's as useful for driving to unfamiliar places as negotiating the daily commute or walking in town.

CoPilot Live v8 makes it easy to go places. With step by step address entry and street maps accurate down to house number or full UK postcode, its the smarter, more convenient way to have your navigation

* Address. Find an exact house number, street or full UK post code
* Improved: Points of interest. CoPilot Live v8 contains thousands of Points Of Interest such as restaurants and petrol stations. You can choose to navigate to a POI or make a phone call. Includes logos for familiar brands of hotels, restaurants and petrol stations in certain regions.
* New: My Places. Enables you to quickly navigate to commonly visited locations, including Home, Work, Favourites and Recent places
* New: Quick Stop. The easiest way to search for one of the most commonly used POI categories
* New: PhotoNav. Navigate directly to a geo-tagged photograph!
* Contact. Navigate to a contact in your address book just by selecting a name. (not currently available in CoPilot Live v8 for Android)
* Intersection. Find the way to a crossroads
* Coordinates. Enter latitude-longitude coordinates or an Ordinance Survey Grid Reference for the ultimate in precision destination entry
* Improved: Route preview View your entire route as a Turn List, as Turn Maps or even a simulation of the entire trip.

Buy it online at Alk.eu.com
Source: Alk.eu.com

I will be reviewing this product for you all in the coming days.

Guest Syphon Filter

I've been a Copilot user for some time now and currently run 7, I think it's really good software to be honest, I found it better than TomTom but maybe that's just because I am used to it. I might upgrade to this in the near future, waiting to see how it pans out and what the reviews are like.

Guest Mysterious Stranger
"CoPilot Live v8 sets a new standard in mobile navigation. It's the most powerful CoPilot yet, bringing the latest navigation and mapping technology to your smartphone to make every journey easier - and every journey better.

Did ALK pay for that product placement? News items should be a little more critical. The statement above is very subjective and I would guess copied straight from a press release.... Newsworthy most definatley but maybe state the source otherwise people will assume it's a modaco written review...

M.S

Guest itsnotmeeee
Did ALK pay for that product placement? News items should be a little more critical. The statement above is very subjective and I would guess copied straight from a press release.... Newsworthy most definatley but maybe state the source otherwise people will assume it's a modaco written review...

M.S

Fair point. I will be reviewing the product in the coming days.

Guest tsutton
Look forward to the review, £25.99 for UK & Ireland maps is looking good.

Indeed, price is so much better than Tomtom!

But how very updated the maps are? Tomtom is still showing the old roads that has been rebuilt/rerouted more than 3 years ago.

Guest exilis

I was looking for a satnav for a trip next month so at this price it's ticking all the right boxes! Does anyone know how much the premium live servies (ie traffic updates) costs?

Guest awarner (MVP)

Definitely a good price, as for maps no mapping software will be completely up to date, it's not possible for the guys that do the mapping to be everywhere, it can take years to update everywhere but main roads around cities should be.

Guest Mysterious Stranger
Indeed, price is so much better than Tomtom!

But how very updated the maps are? Tomtom is still showing the old roads that has been rebuilt/rerouted more than 3 years ago.

When it's on offer, TomTom 6 with maps for all of Europe is £29.99 from eXpensive although Modaco vouchers won't work. Bought a few last week.

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?partner=modaco&i=175779&partner=uknews

Hmmm. Usually those links go dead but it seems to still be active ;-)

Altough their description says 'uprade your tomtom 6 taster edition bla blah' it is the full version with software ( no memory card) received.

M.S

Guest jonboyuk

I've got CoPliot 8 (£22.99 for upgrade from 7) and it's awesome! Over V7 - lane guidance, updated maps, indication of road speeds, better routing, better menu system, free weather updates, navigate to gps tagged photos. When they've completed CoPilot central 2, you will also be able to purchase extras in the way of voice activation, TTS, live fuel prices and even 3D locations.

It uses less memory than 7 which is a good point for me as I listen to music while using GPS. It's so customisable too!

So what don't I like? Well there's little that I don't like - I would like to see some sort of battery info in the program (like with CoPilot 8 for the iphone) and perhaps free traffic updates?

CoPilot central 2.0 is a big downgrade from 1.0 IMO. You can no longer plan your route using it, just see what elements of CoPilot on your device. It's nice that it works in an x64 environment, however the loss of mapping is a huge loss.

Overall however, definitely a great purchase....much better than TomTom/Igo IMHO.

Guest philly-d

The price swayed me and I bought it this morning as my new role involves a lot of driving and the "Bing" plus A-Z method wasn't really working.

The verdict.... Well apart from going round in circles (my fault as I should've deleted one of the stops in my trip list!) and taking me home via the most traffic heavy route possible :) it's brilliant!

I like the fact you can put in multiple stops and it will sort them into the best route for you, and it will avoid the congestion charging zone - saved me a bundle of time working it out manually.

Guest hotphil

I'm having massive problems with this upgrade :-(

Followed the instructions to the letter to upgrade from version 6 to 8. Activation doesn't work, when you do eventually get it activated, the device knows it's licensed for UK & Ireland, the desktop software doesn't and I can't load any maps into it via any method.

Now let's see how good their support folk are....

Guest hotphil

Ah. In CoPilot Central, once I changed the local currency to GBP, my maps are available for download. Not exactly intuitive, but fixed.

Edit: Now it's trying to install 186MB of maps into 115MB of free storage - no option to put maps on memory card. Brilliant.

Edit2: I give up. This product isn't ready for market. The whole thing is a shambles. Wish I hadn't bothered. Their support site is empty, the help files contain no actual information, the desktop software doesn't work correctly, it won't activate on the device, there's no way of getting maps onto the device storage card (which is where the program installed to!).

I've logged a case with them to look into these issues.

No response by end of today = uninstall, refund and back to version 6 which at least worked.

Edited by hotphil

Guest Syphon Filter

hotphil:

Give them a call, surely it does work because a couple of people here have already bought and are using it?? In the past I;ve found their telephone/email support to be quite helpful.

Guest hotphil

I'll wait for their support guys to get back to me. I've already made their sales guys aware I'll be asking for a refund if it can't be sorted promptly. If I could just get the maps to install I'd be happy :-)

Guest hotphil

Got it working. Not sure how yet. Only thing I did differently was not copy the safetycam.ezp file into the right place before running first install. Either that, or the maps I copied across were corrupted. Happy now :-)

Guest brockman04

I'm kinda puzzled,is v8 an upgrade (i need a previous version) or stand alone?Maybe it is a new version of Zorrogps ie:have to buy features to add to a basic version.I wonder what the FULL price will be.

Guest hotphil

It's the same installer I think. Just if you have a previous version licence key when you purchase, you get 10% off (around £2). A bargain considering they wanted £50 I think for the upgrade from 6 to 7.

Have to say, now I've got it working, it's very much better than 6. I only really wanted updated maps (and hooray, it knows all the new Sheffield inner relief road which I wasn't expecting). The interface is slicker, the new features are good. But I have lost my free traffic subscription (rarely used anyway to be honest). The Quickstop feature is good, as is the lane change indicator. And the bicycle mode. Only slight criticism would be that farely obviously, cramming the screen with extra bits has led to it looking a bit "busy".

Guest bananas78

I decided to get this evening.

Strange thing is I purchased it for £25, downloaded and installed fine.

I also downloaded the free copilot central

Browsing the maps the UK and ireland map shows the price of £21.99

Any ideas, 186mb for £21.99 version 204MB for £25 version

post-175837-1250461086_thumb.jpg

Guest hotphil

Is that price difference because £21.99 is just the maps? As in, if you've bought the program and maps for another region, you can also buy/download the UK & Ireland maps for an additional £21.99? That's how I read it anyway.

I got a response from the Support guys on my activation/download issue. I'm on a TyTN II which may have some bearing. Here is part of their reply:

"We have verified that the problem you have reported is occurring with some devices when you purchase the upgrade key code of the latest version of the CoPilot software v8 instead of the full product key code.

This fault has been logged and escalated to our development team for feedback and will be prioritised along with other bugs to be fixed as soon as possible. Unfortunately at this stage, we cannot give you an estimated fix time."

They offered to cancel my current keys and do me a full new key at the discounted price, which is nice. But as I've got it all working now, I'm happy.

Guest Junoman

Hi jonboyuk'

Can you tell me your experience of CoPliot with omnia please?

How is the gps reception? Will it fix gps along or should it requires third party softawre like gpsgate?

Thanks in advance mate!!

J.

Guest hotphil

I'm liking Expansys Friday special deals today. Get CoPilot 7 for £10 off. Bringing it to £54.99. I guess they've not seen how much ALK are selling 8 for....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.