13/08 1.0 - MoDaCo Hero Rosie Remover

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest arunshen
Try installing another launcher like ADW or Launcher Pro first, then you might be able to choose one of them? Sorry that doesn't help if you specifically want Android Home, but it might shed some light on the issue if a third party launcher doesn't work either

thanks, that's what it was - looks like the HTC 2.1 and/or MCR4 r5 don't have a home app alternative to Sense - HTC probably removed it to make way for the Sense bloat :-)

To be fair, some of the HTC widgets are good ...

Guest msc125
thanks, that's what it was - looks like the HTC 2.1 and/or MCR4 r5 don't have a home app alternative to Sense - HTC probably removed it to make way for the Sense bloat :-)

yeah, i loved the HTC widgets till i found

a) Beautiful Widgets, I use the 'Beautiful Smaller Home' with a transparent background, looks great

and just recently;

:D Switch Pro widget, again transparent background, and I use all 7 buttons, everything I need in one row

btw Launcher Pro is great... :angry:

Guest aberry9036

Right, after googling lots it seems there's no easy way to go back to the standard home on this version of android. The standard way to do it would be to clear the defaults in HTC under applications, but this just relaunches it. When I downloaded an app called home switcher it should have given me the option to use the stock home, but for some reason it doesn't. However I found out the home screen I was using that I thought was stock was actually called LauncherPro. It's currently in Beta but it's *very* slick and based on the stock setup. I'm currently seeing about 30mb more free memory over sense, somehow, and the animations are just as slick if not a bit better. Anyone wanting to give it a try should search for LauncherPro in the market, when you install it it will give you the option of using sense or launcherpro as default, choose launcherpro then either reboot or open up a task manager and kill sense, then remove it from the ignore list et voila :angry:

<-- edit -->

I should read before I post, someone's already posted that ;)

Still, I'll add to what everyone's saying, LauncherPro is definitely worth a look :D

Edited by aberry9036

Guest msc125
This is the same as the modaco update.zip I think, which is based on android 1.5, not android 2.1. I've tried this and it basically just causes android to fail to boot, so be careful! What I wanted to know was if anyone knew how to remove rosie from 2.1. Presumably if there's a walkthrough for the legend, the desire or similar it would work the same way on the hero, bar maybe a few files that aren't included on the hero rom.

Methinks I'll do some googling, if I come up with anything I'll post back :D

it worked for me

sorry for double posting again :angry: but i have removed HTC Sense, HTC Messaging, Sim Toolkit, Updater and HTC Mail. I did it all through Root Explorer as follows;

DISCLAIMER: I don't accept any responsibility if this doesn't work for you

- Using a task manager, kill the app you are about to remove (not sure if this is completely necessary, but I did it anyway)

- Using Root Explorer, navigate to /system/app/

- Press 'Mount r/w' to enable read/ write

- Find the relevant app you want to remove (see below)

- Rename it from *.apk to *.apk.htc I did this so that the file is still there if I want to revert back to it, in which case I can just rename it back to *.apk.

- On my current rom (Cronos 2.0.2 lite- based on official 2.1) there is a *.odex file matching each apk, so rename this also to *.odex.htc. This is something to do with odexed and de-odexed roms (beyond me).

- Reboot (again, not sure if this is completely necessary, but I did it anyway)

- The app should have disappeared from your app drawer

Details of the apps I removed;

HTC SENSE- Rosie.apk

HTC MESSAGING- mms.apk. (I had Handcent SMS installed prior to removing this btw)

SIM TOOLKIT- stk.apk

SYSTEM UPDATER?- updater.apk (I assume this is what android/ HTC use to check for system updates. Obviously not necessary on a custom rom)

HTC MAIL- Mail.apk

All the above remove with no ill effecs so far.

I can therefore assume that the link I posted earlier from XDA would still work whether you're on 1.5 or 2.1, as the rom I'm on is based on the official 2.1

Guest RockVJ

I tried running r5 by baking a ROM without Sense/Rosie but then I realised I had to 'push' a launcher on to actually use the phone! A process I'm not actually sure how to do.

That said, I'm currently running SuperHero 2 from villainrom.co.uk and my phone has never been faster. Literally. Even the issues I had with Spotify seem to have gone!

Guest TeaSea
I tried running r5 by baking a ROM without Sense/Rosie but then I realised I had to 'push' a launcher on to actually use the phone! A process I'm not actually sure how to do.

I figured this one out last night. If you get the apk of the launcher that you want (In my case, LauncherPro), then create a zip file with the following structure:

data

|- app

|- LauncherPro.apk (Where this is just whatever the apk is called for you)

Then upload that zip file into the kitchen using the select zip file thing, that'll push the launcher into the rom.