install from a generic Rom with superuser permission
(Works for Mac and Windows)
I upgraded my Hero with ROM-Version 1.7X.XXX.X over htc.com to ROM-Version:2.73.405.5
Then the way over „fastboot“ described on the top of this thread, doesn’t work anymore.
Go instead this way:
Thanks to „quantumrand“ from AndroidForums.com; and Bruno Braga for the hint in Post 73
other HowTos xda-developers
; theunlockr - root in one click/Here we go:
- Download the needed Tool „Recovery Flasher“ flashrec-1.1.2-20090909.apk >>>here<<<
- Download the the Fastbootzip on the top of this thread >>>here<<<
- Unpack the zip file
- Put flashrec-1.1.2-20090909.apk file from the first download
and the recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img file, (which you will find in the downloaded Zip-file)
on your sdcard of your heroTwo "Option/Ways" to "flash/install" your Recovery Image:
- On your phone, go to Settings > Applications > check Unknown sourcesOption 1:
- Now you need a File Manager on your hero, download for example ASTRO File Manager in the market and install it
- Open ASTRO
- Click on flashrec-1.1.2-20090909.apk
- Choose „Open App Manager“
- Click „Install“
- Now go to your Progams and open the installed „Recovery Flasher“
- Type into the textbox "/sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img"
- Press „Flash it“
=> If you get message "Flash FAILED: Could not run command" try this:Option 2:
- Download from market "Better Terminal Emulator" and install it
- Start the app "Better Terminal ..."
- Touch the screen, keyboard should pop up, write
- press enter
- wait, a message could appear, if so, hit "allow allways"
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img
- press enter
- if a new # appears on a new line, it succeeded
- After this succeeds, turn off your Phone
- Turn on your Phone and press right away the „Home“ button and hold it, till you are in the „Andorid system recovery“ Mode.
- There, you press USB-MS toggle
Now your sdcard is connectet to your Mac.
- Download the Custom Rom of your choice, MoDaCo is brilliant, download it >>>here<<<
- Download the newest Radio >>>here<<<
- Don’t unpack these zip files, put them as they are on your connected sdcard
- Unable USB-MS by pressing „Home“ button
- Choose „Flash zip from sdcard“ on your Phone in recovery mode
- Choose the downloaded Custom Rom for example „3.1-update-hero-modacocustomrom-core-signed.zip“
- Wait till the Rom is installed
- Choose Wipe
- Choose Wipe data/factory reset
- Reboot and enjoy your MoDaCo Rom
- For Radio update, repeat „Flash zip from sdcard“ and choose the Radio-Zip instead of the Rom-Zip.
Big Thank You to you Guys from MoDaCo, brilliant work!