cons of i8000?

Guest Rothariger

Guest Rothariger
It's too good :D

yeah, i know that...

one thing that i use always (and thats why i have sale my xperia) its the radio and the hands free... the fm radio in the xperia was really really very weak, and i cant listen to my favorite broadcast because always have noise...

and my phone also have the hands free problem, you couldnt pick up the calls... unless you unplug and plug it again with the incoming call...

i suppose that this in the omnia 2 works like a charm, doesnt?

i dont trust in the 3.5 jack...

Hello,

im will buy a i8000 in a couple of weeks, and i want to know the cons of the device...

thanks...

- No DPad

- No Notification LED

- outdoor screen visibility

- USB-Connector at the top side of the device (at the bottom it is better for car-holders)

Gruß

Jarny

Guest Rothariger
- USB-Connector at the top side of the device (at the bottom it is better for car-holders)

Gruß

Jarny

i the xperia was i at the same place...

the rest is not a con :D

and for custom roms, i dont know... with the xperia, the roms with wm 6.5, have too many bugs... i prefer touch wiz 2... at least until i try it.

Edited by Rothariger

Guest AndrewTan
- No DPad

- No Notification LED

- outdoor screen visibility

Gruß

Jarny

- No Dpad (is ok for me)

- No notification LED (I don't care, I found LED notification is annoying, thanks Samsung removed it)

- Outdoor screen visibility (is ok for me, I can see clear anytime any location)

- USB connector at the top not bottom (not a big issue)

The only cons I found is:

- Why no mobile phone do biggest main memory? 256MB is not enough. I won't might sacrificed the 8GB to 7GB internal storage but put the 1GB as main memory.

Some bugs/issues I found in OMNIA II:

- SMS/MMS open new message is too slow.

- Threaded SMS is not working in their own SMS/MMS application. You can on it via registry but it will mess up during opening back SMS that you have reply before.

- No Landscape mode, anyway you can on it in registry but their own program like for example main menu is not working on it.

- Touch Player on landscape mode could be running more speedy and please do the album render clear in landscape mode, it is too pixel on it.

- Photo browser in landscape mode is too slow during generating thumbnail.

Edited by AndrewTan

Guest AndrewTan
yeah, i know that...

one thing that i use always (and thats why i have sale my xperia) its the radio and the hands free... the fm radio in the xperia was really really very weak, and i cant listen to my favorite broadcast because always have noise...

and my phone also have the hands free problem, you couldnt pick up the calls... unless you unplug and plug it again with the incoming call...

i suppose that this in the omnia 2 works like a charm, doesnt?

i dont trust in the 3.5 jack...

You don't trust 3.5 jack? OMNIA II is base on 3.5 jack also. :D

Guest Rothariger
Some bugs/issues I found in OMNIA II:

- SMS/MMS open new message is too slow.

- Threaded SMS is not working in their own SMS/MMS application. You can on it via registry but it will mess up during opening back SMS that you have reply before.

- No Landscape mode, anyway you can on it in registry but their own program like for example main menu is not working on it.

- Touch Player on landscape mode could be running more speedy and please do the album render clear in landscape mode, it is too pixel on it.

- Photo browser in landscape mode is too slow during generating thumbnail.

i guess it will be fixed in the meanwhile...

You don't trust 3.5 jack? OMNIA II is base on 3.5 jack also. :D

yeah i know, i expect that works better than xperia...

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia

I suggest Omnia HD --> way better than Touch HD/Omnia II/N97/iphone combined (fast multitasking, huge capacitive screen with hand writing recognition :angry: , 8mpx with HD "slow" video recording and goodies from i900 and others, stereo speakers and so much more).

When it was first announced I was jumping all over then realised I'd have to search for all the good winmo apps and games for s60. So I was again excited when the Omnia II came out with wm but then its screen is resistive and it sucks under sunlight which is not a big deal, but with a bad screen response experience and ugly slow winmo from i900 I am so turned off with anything resistive, even some Omnia II users said it is better than. But now Omnia HD users got a few important apps and games working nicely and the Ovi apps store is nice too so I am back to strongly consider the Omnia HD :D .

Guest Ed Wong

Been using this for several weeks now, here are my pet peeves:

- Samsung mail/sms client interface, doesn't seem to handle Exchange synced mail very well, all the text gets wrapped together (no line breaks), got so bad, I had to switch to FlexMail, which is a brilliant email/sms client

- The Widget menu was ok, but after the novelty wore off, switched to SPB Mobile shell, which is much faster are more useful. Also saves RAM.

- Camera shutter and auto-focus beep still sounds (very loudly I might add) even if your phone is on mute! Very difficult to make discreet photographs (don't worry, I'm not a pervert, I usually take photos of documents in the office, the beeping can get annoying) - if anyone knows how to turn this off, I'd be very grateful. Likewise, the Samsung clock/alarm app also sounds your alarm despite the mute. But the Windows alarm will follow your volume setting

- GPS seems a bit slow to get a fix most times. Using Google Maps instead of Agis or other GPS programs seems to be much faster, as Google uses other information to get a location (like mobile base stations, wifi spots, etc...) together with the GPS, but data connection required.

- Resistive screen is actually very good (I used iPhone before, so I can compare against capacitive), just a tiny bit more pressure than capacitive to achieve a response.

- Another bug (?), the haptic (vibration) response doesn't seem to work with all apps/menus. I like TouchPal for thumb typing, but no haptic response, only the Samsung Xt9 has haptic. It seems the developer needs to build in the interface to the haptic feedback into the specific application. If you use Fitaly for stylus texting, the keyboard is also quite small, due to the screen resolution.

- Screen is not great under direct bright sunlight (shade is ok), even under max settings, as many have mentioned. The flickering effect complained by some if using auto-brightness is also true under some lighting conditions (even in normal sunlight). I just manually adjust. The minimum setting is good enough for most indoor use, maximising battery life.

- Strangely enough, the screen is also too bright under total darkness (I like watching movies in bed in the dark), even under min settings. Sad to say iPhone screen is able to be dimmer and brighter than the Omnia II (but iPhone is miles away in terms of screen clarity, sharpness and colour reproduction, Omnia II's AMOLED is pretty awesome)

- Also quite an inconvenience, having to remove the whole back cover when removing the microSD card. I could transfer files using Activesync through the phone, but transferring files (especially movies and music) to the microSD card using a dedicated reader is much much faster. My stylus attachment also often comes out while taking out the back cover

- The built in TouchPlayer actually plays some video files (like h.264) a bit better than CorePlayer, possibly due to direct acceleration, but TouchPlayer can't shuffle music playlists!! Again if anyone figures that out, let me know. I'm using Pocket Player for music, which is much recommended

- Pressing the volume controls will always bring up the Samsung volume control interface and put your current app in the background, which can be irritating in the middle of a movie. I hope Samsung disables that in future.

That's all for now. Seems like a long list, but I really really like this phone, so my plus list is much much longer.

Ed

- Camera shutter and auto-focus beep still sounds (very loudly I might add) even if your phone is on mute! Very difficult to make discreet photographs (don't worry, I'm not a pervert, I usually take photos of documents in the office, the beeping can get annoying) - if anyone knows how to turn this off, I'd be very grateful.

There are Shutter01.wav, Shutter02.wav, Shutter03.wav, ShutterContinuous.wav, ShutterSound.wav files in Windows directory.

There is also silence.wav in Windows directory. Copy silence.wav to other place, rename it to above mentioned Shutterxxx.wav, then replace the originals with the newly creted silence sound. (The file copy operation can be done with Resco explorer or Total Commander mobile, not with build in File explorer.) Restart device.

- Also quite an inconvenience, having to remove the whole back cover when removing the microSD card. I could transfer files using Activesync through the phone, but transferring files (especially movies and music) to the microSD card using a dedicated reader is much much faster. My stylus attachment also often comes out while taking out the back cover

Use Omnia II as mass storage during file transfer: Settings > General Settings > USB Connection > Mass storage : My Storage or Storage card. Note use Safety remove device before disconect from desktop computer, to avoid data corruption, like with card reader.

Guest CF Chong

- Likewise, the Samsung clock/alarm app also sounds your alarm despite the mute. But the Windows alarm will follow your volume setting

Ed

The volume of the alarm can be set separately...

post-60018-1250685492_thumb.jpg

Guest ResiFe
I suggest Omnia HD --> way better than Touch HD/Omnia II/N97/iphone combined (fast multitasking

WM 6.5 is capable of that, too, isn't it?

, huge capacitive screen with hand writing recognition

also handwriting recognition under WM, right? Not a capacitive screen, but therefore higher resolution

, 8mpx with HD "slow" video recording and goodies from i900 and others, stereo speakers and so much more)

speakers are of miner imprtance IMHO. I had the i8910 for a month, and I don't think the camera is sooo good, really.

So I was again excited when the Omnia II came out with wm but then its screen is resistive and it sucks under sunlight which is not a big deal,

i8910 also sucks under direct light...

but with a bad screen response experience and ugly slow winmo from i900 I am so turned off with anything resistive, even some Omnia II users said it is better than. But now Omnia HD users got a few important apps and games working nicely and the Ovi apps store is nice

Ovi store? Well, for me there were only 3 or 4 apps that I installed to my i8910, and all of them are also available for WM (AccuWeather, Level, Shazam, too, I think?!)

too so I am back to strongly consider the Omnia HD :D .

Well, the only thing I can agree on was the capacitive touchscreen that might me better than the one of the i8000. Otherwise, there are many things under Symbian that are a pain in the ass, like...

(info: there will be another firmware-update on 21-8, maybe there are some changes to come, but for most points there are no changes announced...)

- no mini-qwerty

- no predictive text-input like xT9 or what's it called, so text-input feels like on a 7 year old mobile - either using T9 or, after rotating your phone, using QWERTY in landscape...

- no "pop-up" keyboard - whenever you enter any text, the screen changes and the standard text-input-interface appears, after text-input, screen changes again... makes it very hard to follow some conversations over fring...

- you definetly have to hack your phone with Helloox if you really want to make use of it's capabilities, but still, signing apps is a pain in the...

- not many Apps work under Symbian S60v5! Please consider this when talking about Ovi-store!

- email client is s***, need to spend ~15€ for something useful

- still probs with WLAN-stability...

I will definetly get an i8000 and give WM 6.5 a chance. By the way, in my opinion S60v5 wasn't sooo fast, either, so let's give the final i8000 a chance... If I shouldn't like the i8000, I will return is and get an i8910 instead, hoping Samsung has fixed all the current bugs by then...

Edited by ResiFe

Guest chokia

i was hoping samsung will do something before the official launch in Malaysia.

1. The new facelift like in omnia 2 official site http://omnia.samsungmobile.com/omnia2

2. Screen brightness under direct sunlight (no point of flaunting AMOLED if it doesnot match up with iphone's screen)

3. I'm so excited with the latest rumored version of WM6.5 which supports capacitive and multitouch

4. Landscape support is a must in all applications like Omnia 1

If none of the above improved, im going for maxis iphone 3GS

Guest AndrewTan

1. The new facelift like in omnia 2 official site http://omnia.samsungmobile.com/omnia2

2. Screen brightness under direct sunlight (no point of flaunting AMOLED if it doesnot match up with iphone's screen)

3. I'm so excited with the latest rumored version of WM6.5 which supports capacitive and multitouch

I suggest you direct go for Maxis iPhone 3Gs. Your wish won't appear:

1. No such facelift version, it is a drawing issue. (Just a slightly 2% different, come on)

2. It may not better than iPhone but still in ok condition.

3. WM 6.5 not support multi-touch, only WM 7 will support on it. Beside this WM 6.5 support capacitive or not, the OMNIA II won't turn from Advance-R screen to capacitive screen. It is two different technology (hardware base), software upgrade can't change it.

4. You can edit the registry to turn back support on landscape mode.

Edited by AndrewTan

Guest AndrewTan
Do you know what the registry entry is please?

Here you go,

1. run the registry editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\Rotation

2. change the value of HideOrientationUI from 1 to 0

Restart, go to your WinMo Buttons to set one of the button to Rotate Screen. (Remember it only work from WinMo original button program, not that one customize by Samsung)

Guest Shadowy
Here you go,

1. run the registry editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\Rotation

2. change the value of HideOrientationUI from 1 to 0

Restart, go to your WinMo Buttons to set one of the button to Rotate Screen. (Remember it only work from WinMo original button program, not that one customize by Samsung)

Thanks for your help, I'll give that a go.

So how do you like your new iphone 3GS so far? lol from Andrew's response

- Camera shutter and auto-focus beep still sounds (very loudly I might add) even if your phone is on mute! Very difficult to make discreet photographs (don't worry, I'm not a pervert, I usually take photos of documents in the office, the beeping can get annoying) -

Wonder what kind of "docs" you take photos of with the phone :D

- Pressing the volume controls will always bring up the Samsung volume control interface and put your current app in the background, which can be irritating in the middle of a movie. I hope Samsung disables that in future.

Agree redundant to pop up the window when audio adjust is done by hearing. BAD design.

That's all for now. Seems like a long list, but I really really like this phone, so my plus list is much much longer.

Guest munkeng

I was very happy with my old Omnia except for screen sensitivity and the sound problem. But for Omnia II...

1. No d-pad

2. No landscaped support out of the box. Lanscape is only for video, messaging and browser. If you use other SIP appart from the default Samsug keyboard, you cannot use lanscape in messaging.

3. Buggy SMS-Email customisation (especially email)

4. No threaded messaging.