TG01 - Weird noises during calls

Guest Chris_R

Guest The Real Mc Coy

AFAIK there is no way to correct this problem except maybe switching to HSPDA Mode in the phone settings.

So far, every person that I know who had this problem and return their phone back still have the issue.

Toshiba recognized to a French user that there is a problem with GSM... Maybe they will issue a fix.

Guest ToshBang
I have the same problem with mine :D

Me 3, currently awaiting a 3rd replacement, just read the previous information about other networks abroad. Has anyone had a handset replacemnt that has been ok wrt the popping/banging? I have read several threads with the same problem and they all end up with the customer being given a different model phone after 3 replacements. Non of them that I read resolved the issue with the TG01. This thread goes back to August and I bought mine about a month ago.

I'd like to hear from someone who doesn't have the popping/banging while on 2G. The test I do with each phone I receive is to ring another phone and then listen to the call quality from that phone. Not from the TG01 end which sounds ok. Outgoing and incoming have the same result.

Anybody fancy a bit of speculation regarding the cause?

OK then, only audible at the earpiece of the other phone so could be an issue with the mike circuit. Its loud so its before the amplifier, its present hands free plugged in so its not the mike itsself and sometimes ther's a notification beep at the same time. Its like the mike circuit is picking up spurious signal from the swiching/other activities in the phone. Sometimes it coresponds with the screen switching off and others all by itself. Is that what everybody else gets?

I'd like to hear from someone with a happy ending.

Edited by ToshBang

Guest useyourfist

I HAVE A FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME!!!!!

i have had the phone for a week winmo 6.5 preinstalled and poeple on the other end of my calss were hearing distortion and sounded strange on my end i have been all through the customer complaints with orange ect offered replacment ect ect its been driving me made for days.

MY FIX i no its my first post and this fix sound silly but it works for me so thought id share

normally i hold phone in my left hand using right hand to use screen then hold to my left ear with left hand to talk.

i recived a phone call whilst busy so used just my right hand to hold phone and unlock and put to my right ear as if by magic the sound faults vanished (i phoned 3 different people who had complained to me to check and all thought i was using a different phone) on further inspection this is due to the stupid location of the microphone you have to hold it on the right side of your face to speak into the mic if its on the left you talk too far from the mic.

i no it sounds silly but has solved my problem and no more stress of arguing instore about it.

Guest ToshBang

The fault is also present on my handsets whilst using the handsfree (wired not bluetooth). Have you noted a change in any other variable. Maybe a setting or update?

I thought yes it does sound silly but then thought mike directionality or sensitivity will result in a change in signal to noise ratio with a change in mike position and orientation to the source. But from my experience the banging/popping noises which I consider a worse issue than quiet mike happens when there is no one speaking? All electrical items were turned off to rule out picking up a signal from something else. So I can only think that the cause is from the phone itself. None of my other phones on the same network have this noise. The best test is to call another phone and listen from that phone not the TG01.

I noticed the noises don't start immediately so give it a couple of minutes. I dont know if it was a long or short call you made to test the left ear/right ear theory. From experience it seems to generally be clear for the first 30 seconds.

Best of luck either way and sorry if I've just spoilt your eureka moment joy.

Edited by ToshBang

Guest useyourfist
I noticed the noises don't start immediately so give it a couple of minutes. I dont know if it was a long or short call you made to test the left ear/right ear theory. From experience it seems to generally be clear for the first 30 seconds.

Best of luck either way and sorry if I've just spoilt your eureka moment joy.

i just had a long conversation today and all seemed fine but i didnt experience bangs just really bad distortion wich has gone if i use right ear hopefully all stays fine now.

i saw a post on xda about installing srswow hd and someone over on the fpsece forum said doing a fresh install of windows mobile 6.5 cleared his sound problems up. but it seems like a fault in the hardware hope you all manage to get it sorted, you didnt spoil my eureka but tis a shame it didnt work for you.

Edited by useyourfist

Guest delboydell

the problem is hardware as the interferance and cutting out happens with the phone to any ear, on speakerphone, wired and bluetooth headset/carkit.

Toshiba say it is fixed(dont belive them) in the new stock but try getting a new not referb from orange.

I have contacted consumer direct and as long as the phone was bought from orange with airtime contact (not a high st store) they are fully liable for the phone.

And you will be able to get out of contract becouse of this, but it neads to be done via snail mail, as the call center monkeys, will just quote your contract details over and over, but statue law overides any contract terms in this case.

Guest useyourfist
And you will be able to get out of contract becouse of this, but it neads to be done via snail mail, as the call center monkeys, will just quote your contract details over and over, but statue law overides any contract terms in this case.

i was told i could cancel contract by the clever people on the phone as i have a fault code but i had to go instore to do it as thats where i got the phone went instore and surprise they couldnt accept the fault as i couldnt prove it, my phone is fine now after a hard reset and using my right ear orange dont no this tho so i may still try and get out of the contract simply as orange treated me like an idiot.

i would advise everyone to complain to toshiba if you have a problem and contact ofcom if in the uk could even contact the sun newspaper regarding the complete lack of help for consumers when it comes to phones/contracts

Guest ToshBang

Finding a replacement phone of similar spec on Orange is proving to be impossible because at time of writing the TG01 is the only phone with a 1 GHz Snapdragon and largest screen of the orange range. With HD2 not likely to join the orange range, all other phones are of a lower spec and value.

I'd love to hear from someone who has info otherwise.

Are you in 2G or 3G coverage when you have the banging noises, I'm in 2G (GSM, E visible on screen at top)?

Edited by ToshBang

Guest useyourfist

can you contact toshiba direct to fix/replace your phone (im sure they have a 2year warrenty i can give you details if you dont have the book ect), orange said if i did this they would refund a month of my bill. Luckly my fault is just a design fault with the mic that can be worked round, as for an similar phone i think all they could offer is an iphone :D there is the new toshiba due january i think but i think they are best avoided much like orange themselves this is def the last time i will upgrade with them.

Guest The Real Mc Coy

Orange France said to some French users they corrected the issue last Friday by 3 pm... So far I have no proof of this... and no proof that they did not correct it as, for now, none of my contacts have heard those noises. I did not used my phone a lot Friday nor during this week-end.

Guest ToshBang

Had a go on a handset that didn't make banging noises today which was encouraging.

Noticed it was in 3G+ coverage and mine made noises in 2G.

Mine went back to orange so can't test the theory, interested to know if those with the same fault were in 2G or 3G coverage.

Finding a replacement phone of similar spec on Orange is proving to be impossible because at time of writing the TG01 is the only phone with a 1 GHz Snapdragon and largest screen of the orange range. With HD2 not likely to join the orange range, all other phones are of a lower spec and value.

I'd love to hear from someone who has info otherwise.

Are you in 2G or 3G coverage when you have the banging noises, I'm in 2G (GSM, E visible on screen at top)?

I had the same dilemma. Had to give up on Toshiba after five or six replacements as no matter what I did most people simply couldn't understand me on calls. I loved everything else to do with the phone but for me decent audio isn't an afterthought, its kind of essential. So I was forced with big regret to change away from the lovely snapdragon and big screened beauty of TG01. Orange offered me the HTC Hero, LG Arena & HTC Touch 3G. None as you say seem near the spec of the Toshiba.

I wanted a windows phone - but the Touch 3G is sooo old hat now, The only other windows phone in the Orange range is the Touch Pro2 but thats a proper brick, very heavy. After much soul searching I eventually went for the HTC Hero, making the jump to Android. I'm stunned. Its a complete step up from the TG01 in terms of user experience. Just does everything I want from a phone and the interface is loooovely. TG01 needed mobile shell to look really nice. I think Sense UI coupled with Android makes Mobile Shell UI look really outdated and clunky. This is a grown up interface. Everything works well on Hero, and capacitive screen and multitouch is so much nicer than the TG01 resistive. Android market allows easy install of extra apps - much smoother than windows marketplace. Highlights so far are: beeb iPlayer - lets you watch iplayer and live BBC and radio streams very smoothly. Google Sky map is a awesome application - just point the phone at the sky and see a virtual planetarium with planet and star names. Cool.

So anyone wondering what to do - try the HTC Hero instead, I was really pleasantly surprised at just how damn good it is. I was worried I was 'downgrading' to a lesser device by going to the Hero, but for me, its a BIG upgrade from a TG01. Oh, and I can make phone calls with it too.. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest orly_mihai

It is a way to correct this problem i send some maill to toshiba and one day came back a maill that tells me to download the uk rom and install it.I install that rom without the sddl+ just use that sddl that came with the uk rom and surprise now it's working without noise durring calls.

Guest adzman808
It is a way to correct this problem i send some maill to toshiba and one day came back a maill that tells me to download the uk rom and install it.I install that rom without the sddl+ just use that sddl that came with the uk rom and surprise now it's working without noise durring calls.

hi,

sorry for the Qs - i'm a WM noobie,

what do you mean by sddl?

when you say you

"installed the rom without the sddl, then used the sddl that came with the UK rom"

what exactly do you mean?

The UK (orange only) upgrade is a single .exe file & a single tsw file

could you explain this for me please?

Thanks in advance

Adam

Guest pipi52

I'm on my third handset, like zone (above) I am left with no choice but the tg01, as I want a windows mobile phone - simply because I've had one for 3 years+ and have spent quite a bit on software.

The last tg01 from orange (delivered on 31st Dec 2009) seems to have an upgraded firmware - and the voice is a lot better. So far it has not crashed or freezed on me either...so I have to say patience was worthwhile. The TG01 is a great phone and if the voice continues to work correctly - a perfect device (for me).

for info:

I have software version: 5005.0001.67 SP-00

Guest orly_mihai
thanks a lot....

boy is a little bit of knowledge a danagerous thing.. ;-)

i think i'll leave doign this for now as i'm not 100& convinced i'll gain anything by it...

my phone is only 8 days old & still in warranty !!!

Cheers

Use only the uk rom download from toshiba site.I'm from Romania me and another 4 guys try this thing and it's working without noises.We all have faul tg01 with weird noises and now it's working.But don't make hard reset after upgrading because the noise will came back you must reinstal it again after hard reset.

Guest adzman808
'orly_mihai'

Use only the uk rom download from toshiba site.I'm from Romania me and another 4 guys try this thing and it's working without noises.We all have faul tg01 with weird noises and now it's working.But don't make hard reset after upgrading because the noise will came back you must reinstal it again after hard reset.

cheers.

but i think i'll hold for a while.... not sure i have a problem (bet i do now i've said that :))

as i say my TG is only 8* days old.... i'n still trying to get my (limited) head around all this...

orange signal is super pants at my house... the TG gets more signal than either of it's symbian predessors that i've owned...

when i speak to my mate on his o2 mobile he whines he can't hear me, i'm breaking up (yet i can hear him fine...**)

but when i talk to someone on a land line from my home location it works fine...

today i spoke with my g/f from my work (where orange signal is good & we have signal boosters) & we had a perfect conversation***

there is someone in the UK offering a de-brand service for TG, which i'll prob go for in the fullness of time****

can't thank you all enough - this forum continues to prove invaluable for 'noobs' such as myself :-)

[forgive my love of asterixs !!]

*my phone came with WM 6.5 - 5005.0001.67 direct from orange, so it's probably the same as the download from toshiba for orange uk......

**i realise this is a well known symptom of the TG call quality issue, but i'm waiting to see if it's connected to my poor signal area before voiding my orange & toshiba warranty !!

***she was being a bit vocal, so i could've done with a poorer signal quality B) ;)

****at the end of the day, the TG01 is either shjt or great, if it's got a shjt chipset then i'll bjtch to orange & get it sorted. If it's a great phone hampered by rubbish installs that orange have lumbered it with, then it can get debranded !!!!!!!!!!

Guest viper888899

Just bought my handset from Orange and experienced some call related problems.

I called Toshiba regarding the "banging noise" and distortion of voice during the call. The first called I made the guy said "I haven't of these issues" :) Not happy with the answer, basically he said call Orange and get another device, so I rang Toshiba again later that day.

This time the person I spoke with seemed to know his stuff. He told me they know about these issues and have actually got a fix for it! They have submitted the fix to Orange and awaiting their approval. I was told the update will be released very soon, but no definite date at the moment. Far as I know its just a update and not a new ROM.

I'll hang onto the device for a few more weeks!!

Guest Medved77
are the call quality issues the same on all TG01 varients or just the UK orange ones?

is it Toshiba's fault or oranges!!!?

Using Google translate I've been following the French and German TG01 forums, both have topics relating to the same issue that us UK Orange users are facing so I'm positive that it's an issue with the Toshiba radio and not the Orange network or software. I'm also using a different carrier (Jersey Telecom) and still have these issues.

It's previously been reported that the call quality differs between 2g/3g and HSDPA covered areas, I'm moving from a 3G to HSDPA area end of next week so will be able to confirm if any improvement.

Great news that there is a fix on the horizon (as long as the toshiba rep wasn't just bullshitting to get you off the phone), this will make it an excellent handset in my opinion as the only fault I have with the phone is the call quality.

Guest adzman808
Using Google translate I've been following the French and German TG01 forums, both have topics relating to the same issue that us UK Orange users are facing so I'm positive that it's an issue with the Toshiba radio and not the Orange network or software. I'm also using a different carrier (Jersey Telecom) and still have these issues.

It's previously been reported that the call quality differs between 2g/3g and HSDPA covered areas, I'm moving from a 3G to HSDPA area end of next week so will be able to confirm if any improvement.

Great news that there is a fix on the horizon (as long as the toshiba rep wasn't just bullshitting to get you off the phone), this will make it an excellent handset in my opinion as the only fault I have with the phone is the call quality.

cheers, sounds like if a fix is released then it'll be compatible accross all providers & countries, so it might crop up on the internet before orange release it :)

Guest pipi52
Just bought my handset from Orange and experienced some call related problems.

I called Toshiba regarding the "banging noise" and distortion of voice during the call. The first called I made the guy said "I haven't of these issues" :) Not happy with the answer, basically he said call Orange and get another device, so I rang Toshiba again later that day.

This time the person I spoke with seemed to know his stuff. He told me they know about these issues and have actually got a fix for it! They have submitted the fix to Orange and awaiting their approval. I was told the update will be released very soon, but no definite date at the moment. Far as I know its just a update and not a new ROM.

I'll hang onto the device for a few more weeks!!

Hi viper,

can you confirm which firmware version you have.

Guest viper888899
Hi viper,

can you confirm which firmware version you have.

Software version I have 5005.0001.67 SP-00.

With regards to the "Banging noise" after i unlocked the phone I used a T-Mobile and an O2 sim, i don't have the issue anymore. The voice quality is still poor though!