TP2 or not

Guest crazyc

Guest crazyc

I am now at the end of my 18 month contract with 02, and have a dilemma. I like my phone (XDA serra), and have got used to having a phone sized phone rather than a brick. O2 (in store anyway) apparently no longer do the Serra, or anything that is keyboard equipped that meets my requirements. (ie HTC windows mobile). I actually got the Serra 6 months ago as the 02 insurance could not replace my Stellar as it had been discontinued and so had to give me a Serra.

If I stay with 02 in the hope that their september catalogue shows some new devices, I can go onto one of their simplicity tariffs month by month, and save myself around £14 per month. But, if they do not, and it seems there are rumours about o2 focussing on the iphone and not really bothering much with WM, then if I have to make an insurance claim (I do have two young daughters - once I found my phone in a bucket of water in the garden), and they do not have what I would call an equivalent available, I will be palmed off with something I don't want, and would move to another network to get a decent phone. That in turn however would require signing an 18 month contract, and could happen say 2 months before the release of my ideal phone, making for a long wait - if you see what I mean.

Ideally I would consider something like the rumoured HTC Leo (with keyboard) although it looks huge. But in reality the phone I would really want will probably not be on the networks for 6 - 9 months at least.

So I could go with my other option, and move to Vodafone, get a free TP2 and save about a fiver a month compared to now, but be in an 18 month contract. I should be free therefore just after the arrival of WM7.

But I understand the TP2 is not much of an upgrade from the TP. (But bigger).

At least it has Hard SPL now.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I am now at the end of my 18 month contract with 02, and have a dilemma. I like my phone (XDA serra), and have got used to having a phone sized phone rather than a brick. O2 (in store anyway) apparently no longer do the Serra, or anything that is keyboard equipped that meets my requirements. (ie HTC windows mobile). I actually got the Serra 6 months ago as the 02 insurance could not replace my Stellar as it had been discontinued and so had to give me a Serra.

If I stay with 02 in the hope that their september catalogue shows some new devices, I can go onto one of their simplicity tariffs month by month, and save myself around £14 per month. But, if they do not, and it seems there are rumours about o2 focussing on the iphone and not really bothering much with WM, then if I have to make an insurance claim (I do have two young daughters - once I found my phone in a bucket of water in the garden), and they do not have what I would call an equivalent available, I will be palmed off with something I don't want, and would move to another network to get a decent phone. That in turn however would require signing an 18 month contract, and could happen say 2 months before the release of my ideal phone, making for a long wait - if you see what I mean.

Ideally I would consider something like the rumoured HTC Leo (with keyboard) although it looks huge. But in reality the phone I would really want will probably not be on the networks for 6 - 9 months at least.

So I could go with my other option, and move to Vodafone, get a free TP2 and save about a fiver a month compared to now, but be in an 18 month contract. I should be free therefore just after the arrival of WM7.

Hi i have had the diamond and the touch pro and am now selling the touch HD. the improvement on the software

between the touch HD and Touch Pro 2 is staggering. i love my touch Pro 2. its the only Phone i can

say i loved everything out of the box. the are a few very minor niggles but i would look at maybe

saving some money on your 02 and buying it sim free or going to vodaphone? trust me you

will love itand its not as big and chunky as i expected.

Guest stunno

Ive upgraded from the Diamond to the TP2 and I can safely say that the only thing I miss about the Diamond is the size. Other than that the TP2 wins hands down

Guest crazyc

I guess my concern is less about te TP2 being a step up, and more about the fact that if I commit to it now, I am ruling out anything better for 18 months. Conversely, if I do not do it now, I may be forced to later if nothing better has come along, at which point I woul face 18 months before being able to get another new phone......Guess its a gamble on what is coming soon.

Guest crazyc

Well, I have requested my PAC from O2. If their new catalogue does not appear next week with a nice new TP2 or better in it, then off to Vodafone I go. Always nice to get a new phone for my birthday.

I have been using my TP2since my birthday on tuesday and have yet to get more

than a day out of the battery due to my excessive use. I have not liked a phone this much

since my kaiser days. I cannot state how the phone works and the little niceties

make it a pleasure to use. I cannot wait for the little tweeks and extras thatwill

find its way on to my phone in the next few months. and we can upgrade to

windows mobile 6.5....... if anyone has any reservations make the leap you will not

regret

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I have had my TP2 for around a week although the PAC only transferred yesterday.

I really liked the original TP and though I would actually continue using that a lot of the time, especially since I put mobile shell on it. I thought the TP2 size would be an issue.

The only problem I had with the Vodafone ROM on the TP2 was that my bluetooth headsets would not intiate MS voice command, which is a big issue for me. This is due to the bluetooth stack on the TP2 ROMs apparently.

BUT.

I have put NRGs 23016 ROM (WM 6.5) on it, installed all my favourite stuff, the bluetooth seems to work properly 'out of the box' now, and actually, it does not feel anywhere near as much of a brick as I thought it would. In fact, I am not sure my old TP2 will be turned back on (except for Beach Days etc) or to satisfy my fom flashing obsession (as the NRG one on my TP2 seems like a keeper!)

Now I actually have the phone, it is much better than I expected.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest touficjohn

I've been on the fence for sometime regarding the TP2.

My contract is up for renewal and if reading this thread is anything to go by the TP2 is going to outshine my faithful Kaiser.

Still on the fence though.

Why?

How long till the "TP3" comes out?

The Leo is now out, how long do you guys think till a 1ghz touch and type phone from HTC will take to be announced?

Should I just get the TP2?

Guest crazyc
I've been on the fence for sometime regarding the TP2.

My contract is up for renewal and if reading this thread is anything to go by the TP2 is going to outshine my faithful Kaiser.

Still on the fence though.

Why?

How long till the "TP3" comes out?

The Leo is now out, how long do you guys think till a 1ghz touch and type phone from HTC will take to be announced?

Should I just get the TP2?

Even with the Leo coming out, I am still happy with my decision. It is not clear whether the Leo will be officially upgradeable to WM7 (although I am sure they will port it). I have not seen any leaks about the keyboard version, so I guess that will be 2010 at the earliest. Generally I like to give a phone 3 months in the wild for the bugs to be found and HARDSPL to be created.

My concern was that if I hold off till say early 2010, I would have to sit out the wave of new WM7 proper phones when they arrive. This way it SHOULD arrive in late 2010, and so when I come out of contract in say feb 2011 I should be all set.

If I had not been fussed about a keyboard however, then I might have wanted to wait for the Leo, although there was no solid info when I had to make the decision.

• 1 month later...
Guest wilkhaven

I've spent some time researching options for upgrading a TM Vario 3, and deciding that I couldn't do without a keyboard and reading reveiws and comments on various forums did an upgrade through MPD last week to the TP2.

I am very impressed with the phone, and upgraded immediately to the HTC stock 6.5 rom. Phone Alarm and Co-Pilot are the 2 other must have applications, both now installed and working perfectly. Despite the similarity in size to the Vario 3 the TP2 feels much sleeker and the larger screen is superb. Initialy I missed the D-Pad for navigation but am growing used to using the touchflo interface and probably will not even bother installing SBP shell, as I had on the Vario.

As others have said, I was not entirely sure that this would be the phone for me - even up to the point of ordering it - but now I am convinced that this is a superb phone. Yes, it's tied me to another 18 months (I am happy with TM & the contract I have) and as others have said reckon that will mean I'll next be upgrading around the time that WM7 devices start to be available following the inevitable first-release-bugs Microsoft is so well known for have been ironed out!

Just my 2p.....!