22/Jan - Stock ROMs + radios in update.zip format for GSM Hero

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest laughingmonsta

Complete Newbie here

I tried updating the radio on my Hero (with T-Mobile) - When I go to apply adcard:update.zip

I get E:cant open /sdcard/update.zip (no Such File or Directory) Installastion aborted

Can anyone shed any light as I need to see if my reception which is non existant will improve!

Cheers everyone!

Hello,

I tried your update in radio in my phone using this one 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18. After I download and update the radio. I can not boot the phone all its display is an icon with an box and arrow pointing to a phone. I attached the icon image. Please maybe somebody give me an idea. How to boot it back. Thanks in advance.

chris

post-584364-1252308879_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I tried your update in radio in my phone using this one 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18. After I download and update the radio. I can not boot the phone all its display is an icon with an box and arrow pointing to a phone. I attached the icon image. Please maybe somebody give me an idea. How to boot it back. Thanks in advance.

chris

I believe that is normal, happened to me too, all I did was wait and it started up.. even downgraded the radio and upgraded it again, it does this every time.

Have you tried waiting?

About my radio problems, it got better after I flashed the generic rom with built in radio update.

Everything seems to work ok for now except that peep doesn't update correctly and I only manage to update my tweets about 1/4 of the time.

I'm starting to believe there's something weird with the newer rom and built in peep, anyone else who has experienced this?

Complete Newbie here

I tried updating the radio on my Hero (with T-Mobile) - When I go to apply adcard:update.zip

I get E:cant open /sdcard/update.zip (no Such File or Directory) Installastion aborted

Can anyone shed any light as I need to see if my reception which is non existant will improve!

Cheers everyone!

Have you renamed the radio update to update.zip before you put it on the sdcard? If not, select the alternative below the one you've tried (any zip file).

I believe that is normal, happened to me too, all I did was wait and it started up.. even downgraded the radio and upgraded it again, it does this every time.

Have you tried waiting?

I tried wait for almost 1hr. nothing happen. I tried to remove the battery and put it back. nothing happens. only the icon will display. any other suggestion? is 1hr enough of waiting?

chris

I tried wait for almost 1hr. nothing happen. I tried to remove the battery and put it back. nothing happens. only the icon will display. any other suggestion? is 1hr enough of waiting?

chris

Well, I had to wait for a couple of minutes, but one hour is way too much, try doing a wipe from the cyanogen recovery menu and redo flashing.

If all else fails, revert to your nandroid backup.

Guest laughingmonsta
Have you renamed the radio update to update.zip before you put it on the sdcard? If not, select the alternative below the one you've tried (any zip file).

Yeah done that - have tried several of the zips too and the same thing!

Am I missing something completly obvious

1) download Radio Zip

2) rename the zip to update.zip

3) put zip onto sd card

4) power off the phone

5) boot using Home & Power

6) at instalation screen chose open update.zip

7) oh Im getting Error Screens arrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Exact Error:

--Install from sdcard...

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E: No signature (5 files)

E: Cerification failed

Installation aborted.

Edited by laughingmonsta

Am I missing something completly obvious

1) download Radio Zip

2) rename the zip to update.zip

3) put zip onto sd card

4) power off the phone

5) boot using Home & Power

6) at instalation screen chose open update.zip

7) oh Im getting Error Screens arrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Exact Error:

--Install from sdcard...

Installation aborted.

Ok, the error says that the phone can't certify the file, there is probably something wrong with either the radio update.zip or your sdcard is corrupt.

also, I always wipe my phone before doing flash of new rom/radio.

WARNING TO ALL:

Please be careful updating your radio it will brick your phone. My phone now is brick. I can not go to recovery and fastboot mode. I tried to search and talk to #android. Now I know radio update is a dangerous game but its to late for me. :)

<DarkriftX> if you were flashing the radio you are prob screwed

<DarkriftX> dellph: if you get lucky and find out exactly what its trying to flash and give it that, maybe

<DarkriftX> but prob not

flashing the radio is one of the worst times for somethin gto go wrong

Guest licenced

Hi,

Flashed yesterday with the latest Radio update and then with the pre-rooted version of HTC Generic 2.73.405.5.

All I can say is Awesome! The phone is so much faster now it's a joy to use. I haven't tried listening to music yet to see if the stuttering issue I had with it is fixed, but the rest of it is so much better. As for the radio - I can't really tell if that has improved - maybe a little, and maybe I am getting a few more 'lost connection, retry?' messages than I used to, but it's inconclusive.

One question I have now is this: I have a branded Orange phone - by flashing the generic ROM is the phone now SIM unlocked?

Thanks

Dave

Edited by licenced

Hi Paul,

I've also upgraded from the earlier release of HTC Generic 1.79.482.3 to HTC Generic 2.73.405.5

Previously, i was able to update the build without requiring a wipe, only this time, it began to setup as though it was a new phone.

Is there anyway to restore my configuration settings without having to go and restore contacts/messages/apps etc?

I've nandroid restored back to 1.79 in the hope that its possible.

On a side note, anyone know why i can't select English (UK) in Locale? Im in Australia and purchased the phone from Hong Kong - I only have things like English (Hungarian) English (Poland) and so on. It doesn't seem to affect the interface though....

Guest surfsmurf

--Install from sdcard...

Installation aborted.

Are you doing this from the custom CyanogenMod recovery image?

Guest laughingmonsta
Are you doing this from the custom CyanogenMod recovery image?

I have no idea what your saying - I am a complete newbie and prob need someone to talk me through a little but first!

Guest cdmackay
I have no idea what your saying - I am a complete newbie and prob need someone to talk me through a little but first!

When you put the update file onto the SD card, and then power off the phone: how are you copying it over exactly? Via the USB cable and PC USB mass storage mode?

If so, are you properly unmounting the device on the PC, and then turning off USB mass storage mode on the phone, before pulling out the cable and powering off the phone?

If you're just powering off the phone immediately after the copy, then the file is likely corrupted on the SD card.

Can I update from Radio version 63.18.55.06_6.35.05.31 to 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 without any problems?

I have installed the MoDaCO ROM version 2.0 and it's working great.. But I just discovered that there were a newer radio version here... :-|

Regards,

BTJ

After some time's testing with both modaco custom 2.0 with old + new radio and HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 with radio 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18:

Info:

Phone: White Hero , unbranded and purchased in sweden.

Carrier: Telenor Se

Apn: setup correctly to internet.telenor.se without proxy.

Everything seems to work ok except for any network related activity , all applications that use notifications are erratic in their ability to connect.

Example 1: Twitter app peep manages to update about once per hour even though set to check every 5 minutes, if interval set to 1 hour I get updates every 6 hours or so. Also, the widget rarely manages to auto update.

Example 2: Bloo manages to load the main feed 1/4 times.

Example 3: Web browser takes a lot longer to even start loading of any webpage.

Example 4: Calls disconnect for no apparent reasons.

Example 5: Every time the phone is restarted it comes up with the message "outside service area" which goes away a minute or so after entering pin code.

There seems to be something really off with this rom update in regards to communication , there problems never arose with the stock rom which is probably why HTC is delaying the update.

What are your experiences?

After some time's testing with both modaco custom 2.0 with old + new radio and HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 with radio 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18:

Info:

Phone: White Hero , unbranded and purchased in sweden.

Carrier: Telenor Se

Apn: setup correctly to internet.telenor.se without proxy.

Everything seems to work ok except for any network related activity , all applications that use notifications are erratic in their ability to connect.

Example 1: Twitter app peep manages to update about once per hour even though set to check every 5 minutes, if interval set to 1 hour I get updates every 6 hours or so. Also, the widget rarely manages to auto update.

Example 2: Bloo manages to load the main feed 1/4 times.

Example 3: Web browser takes a lot longer to even start loading of any webpage.

Example 4: Calls disconnect for no apparent reasons.

Example 5: Every time the phone is restarted it comes up with the message "outside service area" which goes away a minute or so after entering pin code.

There seems to be something really off with this rom update in regards to communication , there problems never arose with the stock rom which is probably why HTC is delaying the update.

What are your experiences?

Just going to pipe in and note that I am having some issues along these lines as well. Very erratic all around. While mobile data seems to be the most erratic, I am also seeing some bad behavior on wifi (and especially a lot of glitches when switching between them), so it might be a problem with the system rom proper rather than the radio rom (assuming that the radio rom code for mobile networks and wifi is mostly separate and the common networking happens in system). Nothing terribly wrong with the speed of the network connection when it works, 1.5/0.4 Mbit down/up on HSDPA, though.

Rather troublesome, but the speed is addictive so I intend to soldier through and see if a new update arrives and fixes it.

EDIT: Hey, we are both in Sweden, what carrier are you on? Could be that we are seeing the same carrier-related trouble :)

Edited by vaette

EDIT: Hey, we are both in Sweden, what carrier are you on? Could be that we are seeing the same carrier-related trouble :)

Heh, as stated above I'm on telenor.se :)

Not doing well on reading comprehension, not the issue then, I'm on Telias network.

I figured as much, a friend on mine is on 3 and has the same problem + sms delivery/recieving probs.

There is something wrong with this rom or radio, if they release the exact same ones officially many people are going to have probs imho.

Quite a while now since the leak and still no official rom, it wouldn't be far fetched to think there's something that needs to be fixed before general deployment.