Iris Browser discontinued

Guest philly-d

Definitely gonna miss it. Works really well on my S740.

Why? It was the best darn browser on Windows Mobile Standard (non-touch screen phones) that was actually loading everything not via a proxy server.

Opera have stopped developing new versions of Opera Mobile for the non-touch screen phones (as far as I can see).

I think the biggest thing Iris really had going for them the rendering engine and it's page loading speed (including javascript etc).

Guest DarkWanderer

Why? It was the best darn browser on Windows Mobile Standard (non-touch screen phones) that was actually loading everything not via a proxy server.

Opera have stopped developing new versions of Opera Mobile for the non-touch screen phones (as far as I can see).

I think the biggest thing Iris really had going for them the rendering engine and it's page loading speed (including javascript etc).

I'm thinking of getting an s740, so I thought I better get Iris before it disappeared (based on comments above) but the website says its only available to device manufacturers. Did it come preinstalled on ths s740, or can someone tell me where I could get a .cab?

I'm thinking of getting an s740, so I thought I better get Iris before it disappeared (based on comments above) but the website says its only available to device manufacturers. Did it come preinstalled on ths s740, or can someone tell me where I could get a .cab?

Ok, I may have exaggerated the "best" bit. I haven't yet found one mobile browser that is totally flawless and would allow me to do everything I wanted to do (within reason). Hence why I use 3 different ones (have 4 installed), that is Pocket IE (built in), Iris and Opera Mini.

Opera Mini is great for viewing normal websites and you're on a slower connection. Iris works great for all those iPhone targetted websites, as well as general browsing which it renders really well. Pocket IE? I still use it, but not much. There's a few sites I use with it because I like the way they are rendered there, and keyboard shortcuts actually work as advertised!

I've also got Skyfire installed, which I rarely use. It's ok, but the only thing it has going for it is that it can render and play heavy flash sites that I may check once in a blue moon.

As for finding the latest version of Iris? Just do a web search for Iris 1.1.9 rapidshare (this is what is mentioned in other places).

Guest thenext1

Totally agree, although 1.1.9 did add a few bugs on the S740 (I have it too) such as inability to browse with the keyboard slid out, to zoom exactly at 100%, or the rotating display carousel... but Iris was the only one browser I tried that could flawlessly run the real Facebook site in its fullness (not the dumbed-down mobile edition) without ever crashing, and this stands for its robustness.

I'm sad we are left without a real alternative for advancement. There is Netfront but is quickly getting outdated, there could be the new IE, if only HTC provided ONE update for the S740, instead of treating it like an orphan phone.

Although a light of hope shines thanks to the HTC Snap, they might port Opera Mobile to smartphones, it would be mad to out a phone in 2009 without a decent buiilt-in browser. (But HTC is HTC... we'll see)

Guest The Real Mc Coy

It was IMHO one of the top browsers... It is my default browser and I think it will remain until Mozilla improve their browser to compete.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.