10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest munkimatt
A 'wipe' is MANDATORY when installing this ROM, and you MUST do this BEFORE applying the update zip (as the update zip puts files on the data partition)! I also recommend you install the latest radio from my 'update zips' topic if you have not done so.

Please note that first boot may take a little while, especially if you have a lot of apps on your A2SD partition. Be patient! If you want a real clean start or you have issues with your existing A2SD installed apps when you boot, you need to wipe your EXT3 partition on SD too by executing 'adb shell rm -r /system/sd/app', 'adb shell rm -r /system/sd/app-private' and 'adb shell reboot' :D

Just a little confused by that Paul, if I wipe (which I assume is the factory reset option in the recovery image?) doesn't that clear the apps from the phone?

Could you clarify that point, I need to know if I need to be making a big list of my apps that I'll have to re-install!

Just a little confused by that Paul, if I wipe (which I assume is the factory reset option in the recovery image?) doesn't that clear the apps from the phone?

Could you clarify that point, I need to know if I need to be making a big list of my apps that I'll have to re-install!

You may use aTrackDog, which has an Export App List option ... That's just what I did.

The apps list in the market app will be cleared (unless you're feeling clever and backup the market assets.db), but the apps themselves will still appear in the launched as they survive on the A2SD partition.

It's a bit untidy, but is a side-effect of A2SD.

P

Guest munkimatt
The apps list in the market app will be cleared (unless you're feeling clever and backup the market assets.db), but the apps themselves will still appear in the launched as they survive on the A2SD partition.

It's a bit untidy, but is a side-effect of A2SD.

P

Excellent, good enough for me!

Can you tell us what the "significant" changes are please. If there are things that I'm not interested in then I don't want to risk bricking my phone for nothing. Thx

Everything is updated... and it's FAST!

Oh, and you physically can't brick your phone doing this.

P

Guest cdmackay
You may use aTrackDog, which has an Export App List option ... That's just what I did.

but remember most of these app list exporters don't include paid/protected apps.

Guest cdmackay

So, given that a wipe is now mandatory, can anyone help me with the best way to upgrade so as not to lose anything? I'm thinking of app settings, screen layouts, etc.

I got away with an upgrade in place for 1.1, but can't now, clearly. Have taken a lot of time getting the Hero to look how I want it, so don't want to have to do that all again, every time I do an upgrade that requires a wipe...

thanks much for any comments.

but remember most of these app list exporters don't include paid/protected apps.

aTrackDog only exports the list of intalled apps, it doesn't export the .apks. I checked : my paid apps are in the list too (the list is only a text file).

So, given that a wipe is now mandatory, can anyone help me with the best way to upgrade so as not to lose anything? I'm thinking of app settings, screen layouts, etc.

I got away with an upgrade in place for 1.1, but can't now, clearly. Have taken a lot of time getting the Hero to look how I want it, so don't want to have to do that all again, every time I do an upgrade that requires a wipe...

thanks much for any comments.

Hi,

I can suggest you to buy the paid add "Sprite Backup". I did a backup with sprite, wiped the phone, then upgraded to 1.3. At the first reboot, I entered my google account parameters, that let me install Sprite Backup from the market, and I could restore almost everything (call logs, sms, settings ....).

The update seems to work very fine. I find the phone more reactive after this 1.3 upgrade.

Edited by usoska

Guest Chris Jenx

just put 1.3 on my orange htc hero and wow... if this the near finished version of the latest ROM I'm impressed...

Build 1.99.99.9, I'm assuming the 'Offical' HTC update released in a few days will be Build 2?

Is there a change log with these ROM's and Radio Updates? (before you edit them that is) or are you just taking them as is?

Oh and by the way keep up the awesome work!!, if I had more free time i would definitely jump in and give you a hand but way too busy atm.

Guest dlzerocool

Hello.

Well there's troubles with the new room :

In keyboard settings :

Keyboard language language :

miss spelling of French ("Frence")

Keyboard types have Qwerty selected.

But in fact when you use it you get azerty keyboard.

Messages widget from HTC are messed up. After I restore messages the last message shown is right, the number of message with the contact X is correct too,

but when I try to open a conversation, it keeps loading...

Is there somebody having the same behavior ?

Guest munkimatt

I feel like the bearer of bad news here but I seem to have stumbled into a bug in Messages. If you go to Compose message, type the name/number in and send there is no problem, but if you try to reply to a text from within the conversation I get "Sorry! The application Messages (process com.android.mms) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Tried two different contacts, with numbers stored in two different formats (starting with a 0 or +44) and same error repeats. Actually sending a SMS, not an MMS as the error would suggest.

Anyone else getting this?

EDIT

It's randomly just sent one as a reply but then failed the next 3 times I tried to reply so I can't see any pattern here now...just to make it more awkward :D

Edited by munkimatt

Everything is updated... and it's FAST!

Oh, and you physically can't brick your phone doing this.

P

SO how come its not possible to brick your phone? Tempts me more to install...

Guest FrAN_oC

First of all... HELLO!

I am new at this forum, but I read it since I got my Hero 2 weeks ago. I am a Spanish guy (so sorry for my english).

I only wanted to thank Paul all his work. I am just amazing with my hero's speed. And all my apps kept installed after the wipe, so 10 minutes to add the widgets and configure connections.

RGDS!

Guest Amdathlonuk
Guys,

I'm coming from XDA-developers and the Google G1.

When I format my SD into 3 partitions

1. 7Gb Fat32

2. 600Mb Ext3

3. 32mb Linux swap

Will the apps to SD load automatically when I download or install apps, like Cyanogen mods?

Will I have to enable the 32mb swap or again is it automatic?

Can I also check that Market, Maps, contacts.....etc are all working fine?

Thanks

Amd.

Anyone? :D