Do I really want a Touch Pro

Guest xyzak

Hi All,

I've been lurking on this and xda-dev forums for quite a bit now. I'm about to upgrade from my trusty SPV E650 (VOX) to an another handset. I've been thinking a lot about the new handset to pick but am still not certain which way to go. Mostly I would be reading e-books (mobipocket), listening to audio-books (the built-in player) and making notes - hence the need for a hardware keyboard. I do not plan to game or watch movies. I would be using GPS from time to time though. Guys, is there anything, given my preferences, that would be a serious show-stopper for TP to become my next handset?

Edited by xyzak

Hi All,

I've been lurking on this and xda-dev forums for quite a bit now. I'm about to upgrade from my trusty SPV E650 (VOX) to an another handset. I've been thinking a lot about the new handset to pick but am still not certain which way to go. Mostly I would be reading e-books (mobipocket), listening to audio-books (the built-in player) and making notes - hence the need for a hardware keyboard. I do not plan to game or watch movies. I would be using GPS from time to time though. Guys, is there anything, given my preferences, that would be a serious show-stopper for TP to become my next handset?

I find there are two show stoppers for the Touch Pro:

GPS performance - start up time stinks, as does lag and general accuracy. What a pile of crap.

Battery Life - I thought my Kaiser was bad until I got a TP - I don't get a day out of it, and if I use the GPS, the antenna makes the battery so hot that it won't take a charge from the in car charger. It says it's charging, but when you arrive and take the phone out, it's too hot to touch and the battery is down to 15%.

Avoid this one.

• 1 month later...

i have to disagree with this guy. first, i upgraded to the newest energyrom (which i'm sure if you've been looking at xda forums, you'll know). Just pick a stable build like 23016 or 21864. make sure you turn on agps. i can get a connection in less than a minute, usually less than 30 sec. you can double check in xda for this type of performance. as with all gps phones, battery life depends on usage. i've never had problems with charging either ac or car. with smartphones these days you have yo charge daily if you're a mod/heavy user. i'm really surprised someone would call this a pile of crap to be avoided. it's such an awesome phone. xda also rules, they will cover any issues you have with the phone. also, what about a tp2?

I find there are two show stoppers for the Touch Pro:

GPS performance - start up time stinks, as does lag and general accuracy. What a pile of crap.

Battery Life - I thought my Kaiser was bad until I got a TP - I don't get a day out of it, and if I use the GPS, the antenna makes the battery so hot that it won't take a charge from the in car charger. It says it's charging, but when you arrive and take the phone out, it's too hot to touch and the battery is down to 15%.

Avoid this one.

• 4 weeks later...
i have to disagree with this guy. first, i upgraded to the newest energyrom (which i'm sure if you've been looking at xda forums, you'll know). Just pick a stable build like 23016 or 21864. make sure you turn on agps. i can get a connection in less than a minute, usually less than 30 sec. you can double check in xda for this type of performance. as with all gps phones, battery life depends on usage. i've never had problems with charging either ac or car. with smartphones these days you have yo charge daily if you're a mod/heavy user. i'm really surprised someone would call this a pile of crap to be avoided. it's such an awesome phone. xda also rules, they will cover any issues you have with the phone. also, what about a tp2?

The HD is still a better device.

The TP2 (check gsmarena.com) has the worst camera i have ever seen on a HTC.

The HTC Pro has several issues still unresolved. Are u going to waste money and wait or a solution ? Or its better to just buy a good device by the start. I'm not unhappy with my Touch Pro, but with the money you pay for it, it could be a lot better. The GPS is / always be a serious handicap on this device. 30 seconds ? Is way too long.

Grab yourself a Cruise (Polaris) and u will see why the GPS on Pro must/has to be better.

Cheers ppl.

Edited by NKTA