How to get PUSH-style mail on Omnia!

Guest gayflag

Guest Root-dir

well I tried emoze and it worked okay kinda slow though and force me to use my full e-mail adress as the name of the account in poutlook. tried flexmail didnt like the interface or the fact they broke kenetic scrolling and its not free

tried mail scheduler which seemed to work then crashed i think it doesn't like winmo 6.5

finally I tried the imap push service from XDA and while it crashed after insalling(some error about a port just an issue with the inital configuration) it it worked beautifully after I configured it and I like that I dont see it. I set my mail send receive to manual so i could tell that imap was working and it does literaly seconds after sending a test e-mail i get a notification on my phone. only thing is i dont know how this will effect battery life hopefully not too terribly because I really like this

also on a side note emoze failed to remove its startup shortcut after uninstallation which results in an error message on startup if you encounter this problem simply delete /Windows/Startup/mail.lnk and this will go away

also flexmail left behind this webIS update program this displeases me.

I have reinstalled SEVEN and I can say for certain that SEVEN pushes faster, with better notification than Emoze. I will test more on the battery issue within the next several days.

On a side note: Is it me, or does Emoze only get its notification when I put the screen back on via power? Usually, after I finish using my phone, I hit the power button and I guess, in my case, it stalls Emoze from pushing as quickly. However, this does not happen in SEVEN.

BTW, gayflag, maybe you should edit thread name to something like EMOZE or PUSH; which is the better PUSH Email service - help test.

I have been getting notification in standby. Regardless the mail app is open or not. However, last night it stopped getting mail for some reason. I also have 'gmail gmail1 gmail2 and Google Mail' in my mail tab, under Titanium. Maybe because i had created and deleted these accounts. Or its a ROMbug. I was going to hard reset and try SEVEN.

I also edited my post, to make it less of a train wreck :)

I have been getting notification in standby. Regardless the mail app is open or not. However, last night it stopped getting mail for some reason. I also have 'gmail gmail1 gmail2 and Google Mail' in my mail tab, under Titanium. Maybe because i had created and deleted these accounts. Or its a ROMbug. I was going to hard reset and try SEVEN.

I also edited my post, to make it less of a train wreck :)

Yes, I had this problem as well and unfortunately had to hard reset as well. I don't know why, after creating an account, and then deleting it, it keeps the email account as an apparent active account even though it truly doesn't exist. Also, in my previous installations of Emoze, it only worked periodically. It would go through stretches where it just never worked. But, I can say that the battery life using Emoze is better over SEVEN. However, I still rather use SEVEN because it works almost all the time and pushes faster (since I do want to use the SMS feature of google voice, its kind of important). But, yeah, if you can let me know how your battery life goes with SEVEN. BTW, if you are having problem with installing SEVEN (ie. like getting past the identifying device stage, just click cancel at the bottom when that phase comes up), you can post here and I can try to help. Currently, I am using the penultimate version of SEVEN, partially because I believed that the latest version was eating more of my battery life then the one I was on, and I didn't really have an problems with the one I am using. But, by all means test the new version, and let me know. If you need the immediate downgraded/archived version I can post it.

well I tried emoze and it worked okay kinda slow though and force me to use my full e-mail adress as the name of the account in poutlook. tried flexmail didnt like the interface or the fact they broke kenetic scrolling and its not free

tried mail scheduler which seemed to work then crashed i think it doesn't like winmo 6.5

finally I tried the imap push service from XDA and while it crashed after insalling(some error about a port just an issue with the inital configuration) it it worked beautifully after I configured it and I like that I dont see it. I set my mail send receive to manual so i could tell that imap was working and it does literaly seconds after sending a test e-mail i get a notification on my phone. only thing is i dont know how this will effect battery life hopefully not too terribly because I really like this

also on a side note emoze failed to remove its startup shortcut after uninstallation which results in an error message on startup if you encounter this problem simply delete /Windows/Startup/mail.lnk and this will go away

also flexmail left behind this webIS update program this displeases me.

This is quite interesting. If I end up installing Emoze again, I will use the "/Windows/Startup/mail.lnk" you provided to delete it. Also, I will try the imap push service by XDA... you said seconds???? That is really quite interesting. I wonder how much battery life it takes out? Please report back when you can. THANKS!

Guest disciplined

I tried SEVEN. I went from 100% to 20% in 4 hours. It keeps the internet on all the time and eats the battery. I know its fast, but so would setting my phone to check email every 5 seconds. I might even get more battery life that way... whats the point?

I tried SEVEN. I went from 100% to 20% in 4 hours. It keeps the internet on all the time and eats the battery. I know its fast, but so would setting my phone to check email every 5 seconds. I might even get more battery life that way... whats the point?

I have had this problem before. I believe it is a bug in the newer version of SEVEN. Have you tried the archived version? It works better on our Omnias, imo. I will post it.

def_seven_ppcwm6.cab

Edited by sid0101

Yea i thought SEVEN is a bit harder on the battery than emoze, but it is faster. It also works! I noticed that i cant reply to sms email notifications from google voice, but it worked using emoze. all sent and received mail goes through seven? Thats only what i can think of why they dont go through. I know that if you reply to a forwarded GV sms notifi~ it wont go through. Which is a real pain in my ass, having to open a web browser to reply to a GV sms. That really kills the battery. I might just go back to polling...

Yea i thought SEVEN is a bit harder on the battery than emoze, but it is faster. It also works! I noticed that i cant reply to sms email notifications from google voice, but it worked using emoze. all sent and received mail goes through seven? Thats only what i can think of why they dont go through. I know that if you reply to a forwarded GV sms notifi~ it wont go through. Which is a real pain in my ass, having to open a web browser to reply to a GV sms. That really kills the battery. I might just go back to polling...

Actually, it does. Have you tried doing it? That's what I do all the time. Just hit reply on the SMS and it works. I use onedialer to intercept calls, but I use SEVEN for SMS all the way man.

Guest La Traviata

Can push mail delivery be switched on and off as required with SEVEN? I'd like to try it, but I want to choose when to have push mail and when not (e.g. away from home/office with battery running low). On the SEVEN website it says you can "pause" the service, but not for how long. Also, can you select to have only 1 email account pushed to your phone and keep the others as "fetch"? Many thanks!

Edited by La Traviata

Can push mail delivery be switched on and off as required with SEVEN? I'd like to try it, but I want to choose when to have push mail and when not (e.g. away from home/office with battery running low). On the SEVEN website it says you can "pause" the service, but not for how long. Also, can you select to have only 1 email account pushed to your phone and keep the others as "fetch"? Many thanks!

Yes, you can control when push is enabled. You have the options for each day of the week, including the time of day or night. You can add different accounts, but if you only want to setup one email for push, then that is not a problem either. I currently do this. However, I am not sure what you mean by fetching for the other account.

Guest La Traviata
Yes, you can control when push is enabled. You have the options for each day of the week, including the time of day or night. You can add different accounts, but if you only want to setup one email for push, then that is not a problem either. I currently do this.

Great, thank you very much. I may give it a try then. Can it be installed in My Storage?

Standard send/receive as we have been doing...for the past 35 years :)

Yes, that's what I meant. I'm thinking of setting up 1 dedicated phone email account with push mail and only fetch my normal web email when I feel like it (don't want spam on my phone).

Cool! Wait, this means that we can uninstall Seven and use the built-in active sync to get real-time email?

Yep, but just to let everyone know. I have been using for a couple of hours now, and the push email is running a bit slow. I was on the google blog and Robin basically said that the servers being overloaded right now, but they were working to get it fixed. So, if it is running a bit slow for you, do not be dismayed and broken minded... Google will come through.

Have you tested it out? I might be having a rom problem with the notifications. The first time, i got no sound, but a really long vibrate, until i pushed a button. The next, i disabled vibrate and the sound played for a second and quit. The third time worked without problem, vibrate/ring. I do notice if you leave pocketoutlook open, you will not get notifications though.

Thats good news, I did notice it seemed a bit slow. Comparable to SEVEN though. Nice, not having to waste more space having an unnecessary app to enable something the device supports native

Guest disciplined

just tried the google push with activesync and its sweet! Dude google is going to take over the world...

Noob question: For push to work do I always have to be connected to the internet? This will totally destroy my battery life. Can't it just be like text messages? How do blackberry's do it? Are they always online?

just tried the google push with activesync and its sweet! Dude google is going to take over the world...

Noob question: For push to work do I always have to be connected to the internet? This will totally destroy my battery life. Can't it just be like text messages? How do blackberry's do it? Are they always online?

Well testing for battery life will depend on a few things. First and foremost, testing battery life today is probably a bad idea, until the google servers are up to speed. Second, since it uses active sync, there are a plethora of options on how you decide to get your items; whether its as items arrive(that's actual push - which eats more of your battery) or to schedule, which is just like having no push at all. Third, it also depends what you are using active sync for. For example, if you only have gmail to sync, it will presumably be faster. However, if you have you calendar, contacts, and gmail synced to your active-sync it'll take longer; how much longer is the real question - but we won't know that until servers are fixed. Having said that, I am assuming that pushing your email via active-sync will most definitely kill our battery sooner than we would like; but I really don't care because I charge my phone every night. If it kills my battery within 15 hours, I will probably move back to SEVEN.

I am not well versed in how blackberries work, but I am pretty sure that they have their own networks and servers. What this means is that when you sign up for a blackberry data plan, it's a data plan actually provided through blackberry themselves and probably redistributed through your Phone Provider (ATT, SPRINT, VERIZON, etc). This allows them to sync up to your email and as soon as something comes in, their server knows and passes it on (very quickly) to the corresponding black berry. In contrast, we have regular data plans that allow us to just go on the net. I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure this is how blackberries work.

EDIT

I just ran some new test emails and I got them within 30 seconds!

Edited by sid0101

Guest Root-dir

switched over to the google solution I wondered why they didnt do this already when i first started using gsync i expect tasks will be synced soon as well but anyway as far as speed goes it was a bit slow at first but now its INSTANT okay so it acctualy took 9 seconds but my e-mail undo is set to that long so the moment the undo option went away my phone beeped with new mail Im impressed good job google keep up the good work

what's word on battery life?

As far as I can tell, it's ok.

I'll have to wait till the morning to get a full and proper days test. BUT, don't be shy... you can test as well and help report!

Guest La Traviata

This is exciting news! :)

I'm more concerend about data charges. At home this is covered by my data plan, but abroad it could get expensive. Presumably you can switch the push function off via the scheduling option?

Also, is this country specific, i.e. do you have to enter your local service provider? I don't actually have a Gmail account yet and if this is, for example, US only, there would be no point in opening one (I already have 3 Yahoo accounts, more than enough...).