How to get PUSH-style mail on Omnia!

Guest gayflag

Guest La Traviata
No, the internet is not country specific

In some cases to get web email delivered to your phone you have to enter your service provider and if your SP is in a different country to where your email was originally registered then it doesn't work. And some services that are available to subscribers in one country aren't available in other countries, or carry a charge.

So, is push Gmail country specific or not?

In some cases to get web email delivered to your phone you have to enter your service provider and if your SP is in a different country to where your email was originally registered then it doesn't work. And some services that are available to subscribers in one country aren't available in other countries, or carry a charge.

dude, not to be rude or anything, but why don't YOU try it out and let us know????

I mean we live in the US, so testing that kind of thing is kinda hard to do, unless we traveled out the country... so yeah...

I guess you can always do a google search to find out...

Guest Root-dir

I think you are confused this uses your dataplan its not a seprate feature or service as far as data amounts go for you poor pay by mb people id assume its low but it always has the conection open so if you dont have decent coverage it may cause problems with battery but it should work fine on non 3g network if you are not in the us and have to worry about things like data usage and 3g coverage

Guest plguzman

I'm using Seven and works quite well so far. I got my emails "almost" immediately (maybe a couple minutes late comparing to PC, sometimes is quicker), and the battery usage is not noticeable. I don't have heavy email traffic tho... Maybe 10 or 15 a day. I had mi Omnia with Seven, Windows Live Messenger and Google Maps with GPS (Latitude) open at the same time today for 7 hours and the battery went from 100% to 80%.

EDIT: Oh, I have a problem... I can't set a "other pop" account. All the information is fine, but can't connect. My yahoo and google accounts connected just fine. Anybody else has the same problem?

Edited by plguzman

Guest La Traviata
dude, not to be rude or anything, but why don't YOU try it out and let us know????

I mean we live in the US, so testing that kind of thing is kinda hard to do, unless we traveled out the country... so yeah...

I guess you can always do a google search to find out...

As I said, I already have 3 Yahoo email accounts and push mail is the only reason why I would get Gmail on top of that. So before I open a 4th email account I don't really need I had hoped someone could confirm whether or not push is US-only, but a simple "I'm in the US and from what I can see I can't tell if the push feature is country specific" would have been fine, thank you.

I think you are confused this uses your dataplan its not a seprate feature or service as far as data amounts go for you poor pay by mb people id assume its low but it always has the conection open so if you dont have decent coverage it may cause problems with battery but it should work fine on non 3g network if you are not in the us and have to worry about things like data usage and 3g coverage

I know that it would use my (unlimited) data plan.

As I said, I already have 3 Yahoo email accounts and push mail is the only reason why I would get Gmail on top of that. So before I open a 4th email account I don't really need I had hoped someone could confirm whether or not push is US-only, but a simple "I'm in the US and from what I can see I can't tell if the push feature is country specific" would have been fine, thank you.

I know that it would use my (unlimited) data plan.

Now, you made me feel bad...

But seriously, the amount of time you spent asking questions, you could gave created a gmail account, even if you never intended to use it and tried to sync it...

Not sure if you noticed, these boards gets little new unique visitors, let alone this thread. So, as much as I was blunt, I was being honest. In the end, the Omnia users on these boards and in the specific threads rely on each other to be actual testers, rather then just ask questions, but I do know that is a big reason why these boards were made. However, I had hoped you realized that i only raised this point about you testing after I observed that no one else really had the desire to help you test this problem....

So again, sorry - but its the truth.

Edited by sid0101

Guest La Traviata
Now, you made me feel bad...

But seriously, the amount of time you spent asking questions, you could gave created a gmail account, even if you never intended to use it and tried to sync it...

Not sure if you noticed, these boards gets little new unique visitors, let alone this thread. So, as much as I was blunt, I was being honest. In the end, the Omnia users on these boards and in the specific threads rely on each other to be actual testers, rather then just ask questions, but I do know that is a big reason why these boards were made. However, I had hoped you realized that i only raised this point about you testing after I observed that no one else really had the desire to help you test this problem....

So again, sorry - but its the truth.

I always help other forum members if I can and, in turn, I hope for advice when I have a question because I think the answers benefit everybody. Perhaps that is my mistake.

Anyway, so as not to be totally OT, some more on people's experience with push Gmail so far:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=563324

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=563313

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=563323

Edited by La Traviata

Well testing for battery life will depend on a few things. First and foremost, testing battery life today is probably a bad idea, until the google servers are up to speed. Second, since it uses active sync, there are a plethora of options on how you decide to get your items; whether its as items arrive(that's actual push - which eats more of your battery) or to schedule, which is just like having no push at all. Third, it also depends what you are using active sync for. For example, if you only have gmail to sync, it will presumably be faster. However, if you have you calendar, contacts, and gmail synced to your active-sync it'll take longer; how much longer is the real question - but we won't know that until servers are fixed. Having said that, I am assuming that pushing your email via active-sync will most definitely kill our battery sooner than we would like; but I really don't care because I charge my phone every night. If it kills my battery within 15 hours, I will probably move back to SEVEN.

I am not well versed in how blackberries work, but I am pretty sure that they have their own networks and servers. What this means is that when you sign up for a blackberry data plan, it's a data plan actually provided through blackberry themselves and probably redistributed through your Phone Provider (ATT, SPRINT, VERIZON, etc). This allows them to sync up to your email and as soon as something comes in, their server knows and passes it on (very quickly) to the corresponding black berry. In contrast, we have regular data plans that allow us to just go on the net. I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure this is how blackberries work.

EDIT

I just ran some new test emails and I got them within 30 seconds!

In order for Direct Push [from gmail] to behave properly on my device [omnia 910 WM6.5], Peak and Off-peak settings had to be changed to As Items Arrive [per this source]. like you, i'm near a charger [at work and at home]. time-permitting, i will monitor my battery and post results.

UPDATE: battery down 20% after several hours with noted activesync settings. however, your mileage may vary based on volume [see MS recommended settings]

Edited by arirang

Guest hucaslak

Good afternoon all.

A quick (I hope not stupid) question:

I think you know the compatibility problems between Vodafone Push Mail and a free Omnia phone; Vodafone, at least in Spain, doesn't provides the Push Mail software for free cellulars, even if the owner is a Vodafone user and has paid for the Push service.

The only way to run the service is to acquire an old WM5 Push app to use on Omnia, and it only works on WM5/6/6.1 phones, but not on WM6.5 roms.

So, you think SEVEN (or any other) could substitute the orignal Vodafone Push app on WM6.1/6.5 rom Omnia terminals?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my poor english.

Bye!

SEVEN Is another working solution. I have yet to try, but i think i will hard reset and give it a go.

If anybody else is interested in testing these. Please, post your results!

I'm using Seven for a while now, and I'm pretty much satisfied with it! I get mails for my gmail and also for my company account. The user interface - which you don't see too often - is pretty simple and nice.

You get your mails fast also. Sometimes there's a small lag - and you get mail some minutes after it actually arrived in your inbox. Other times it's even faster then the web interface of gmail. It can be called pretty much real time.

I like the feature that you can set up silent hours also, so mails don't wake you up in the middle of the night.

I've tried some other solutions before, Seven is the best for me so far.

Guest sid0101
I'm using Seven for a while now, and I'm pretty much satisfied with it! I get mails for my gmail and also for my company account. The user interface - which you don't see too often - is pretty simple and nice.

You get your mails fast also. Sometimes there's a small lag - and you get mail some minutes after it actually arrived in your inbox. Other times it's even faster then the web interface of gmail. It can be called pretty much real time.

I like the feature that you can set up silent hours also, so mails don't wake you up in the middle of the night.

I've tried some other solutions before, Seven is the best for me so far.

I've reverted back to SEVEN.

I am just not satisfied with active sync. I believe I know why it is is taking long to sync. It is not entirely googles exchange server, it is also the fact that active sync thinks that I am roaming when I'm not occasionally. In fact, some of my other applications do this as well. Because it believes it to be roaming, it takes longer to get the mail pushed.... at least this is my theory.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest eufouria

Anyone else run into this problem? 

I set up a normal activesync (non-push) account for the same gmail address and the senders show up fine there...

post-465297-1256610002_thumb.png

Guest thekevster

if you set up a live account on your phone with windows live installed, you can set it to sync "as items arrive" and just sync all other email accounts with your live account. seems easy enough to me.

Guest eufouria

Ok so my current hypothesis is that characters in the sender's field (; : , < > ) aren't available in the font or font size that WM is using to write the senders name.

Can anyone elaborate on this?