Opera Mini 5 beta is out!

Guest philly-d

Guest philly-d

The wait is over, Opera Mini 5 beta is here! It's got some great new features including:

thumb_16-Sep-2009_speed-dial.jpg
  • Tabbed browsing
  • Speed dial
  • Optimised display for Touch & Keypad
  • Password Manager

Read more about Opera Mini 5 beta, see it in action on

or download it from http://m.opera.com/next/ on your phone! It looks fantastic, bringing more similarities to their desktop browser and I can't wait to try it!! :)

Let us know what you think.

[Via Opera]

Wow what a great little browser. I hate Opera so much I never ever use it (I am a big itouch safari fan :) ) but this is really good so far the tabs are really working well. Just wish I knew how to make it the default browser on my omnia which I am now off to investigate how to.

Guest philly-d
It should work on any phone with Java on it

Except on mine where it starts to install then "Resource download failed java.io.IOException" :)

Opera Mini 4 works fine though...

Anyone else having this issue?

Quite nice, though a bit small text even on Extra Large.

Anyone know why www.bbc.co.uk insists that I'm not in the UK regardless of whether I'm using Orange 3G or my own wifi even though I am? It's Ok in other browsers.

Edited by Tim

Anyone know why www.bbc.co.uk insists that I'm not in the UK regardless of whether I'm using Orange 3G or my own wifi even though I am? It's Ok in other browsers.

There are some JVMs on Windows Mobile that allow the font size to be changed. I'm using Esmertec Jbet Build ID: 20090226.2.1 and you can change the generic font sizes in the registry at HKLM/Software/Apps/Esmertec Java/Device Info/Java Font.

The reason it thinks you're not in the UK is because Opera Mini uses a proxy that's probably in another country. The proxy sends a compressed version of the page to your phone that's more efficient to render, has compressed images, etc. so that it's faster.

Anyone know how to create a start menu shortcut for this? i have been tinkering for about an hour and cant figure it out.

It's specific to whatever JVM you have. With Esmertec Jbed, I copied the shortcut to Java in the Start menu then edited the link to append the following:

-run s2_

If it had been the first Java application I had installed, it would be "-run s0_" but I had 2 installed before Opera Mini 5 beta.

You'll need to make sure that Jbed isn't running already as well, otherwise it will just bring it to the front without starting the application.

Except on mine where it starts to install then "Resource download failed java.io.IOException" :)

Opera Mini 4 works fine though...

Anyone else having this issue?

Hmm, do you have an internet connection when you install? When installing, it downloads a resolution-specific skin which is ~100KB. Otherwise they would have needed to include skins for all possible resolutions in the installer which would have been much bigger.

Guest mstephenson

I downloaded this last night and I have to say, I'm very impressed.

I can't comment on how it compares to the previous version (I last used Opera several years ago and was so unimpressed I haven't bothered with it since then), but this is everything I want from a browser.

It's quick, easy to use, looks good, has lots of useful features and functions, and sites that PIE and Skyfire refused to open actually load up on this. I'll definitely be picking up a full copy of this on it's release

Guest semmtexx
It's specific to whatever JVM you have. With Esmertec Jbed, I copied the shortcut to Java in the Start menu then edited the link to append the following:

-run s2_

If it had been the first Java application I had installed, it would be "-run s0_" but I had 2 installed before Opera Mini 5 beta.

You'll need to make sure that Jbed isn't running already as well, otherwise it will just bring it to the front without starting the application.

Oh kickass dude, I finally got it working. Thanks so much for your advice.

Guest DarkWanderer

Horrible virtual cursor on WM 6.1 Standard ,but that may just be because of the flat navigation buttons on my StrTrk keypad. Operas way of opening input boxes as full screen does help with entering usernames/passwords though, helps compensate for the small text (yes I know it's not a new feature).

Edited by DarkWanderer

• 4 weeks later...
Guest azathyel
Any way to make opera mini 5 as default browser?

I'm wondering the same. Any way to make Opera mini 5 as default browser? I've read several ways to do that with earlier versions, but they don't seem to work with this one :S

Greets from Spain

• 4 months later...
Guest sudkcoce
I'm wondering the same. Any way to make Opera mini 5 as default browser? I've read several ways to do that with earlier versions, but they don't seem to work with this one :S

Greets from Spain

+1 I would also like to set Opera mini as the default browser on my omnia i900. It works way faster and nicer (imho) than the "big brother" Opera Mobile...

Why is it so difficult to set the default browser in winmo anyway? :((

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.