The official T-Mobile G2 Touch 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest worcester4x4

One very fed up T Mob G2 owner here who has completely lost patience waiting for the never-ending saga of the T Mob ROM update.

I've decided to root and flash my G2 but have to admit I'm nervous about the whole procedure and not a little confused by all the threads I've been reading on how to do this.

Can I simply follow the two videos on theunlockr.com "How to root your Hero in one click" and "how to load a custom ROM on your Hero" and that will work on a G2? Will I need to change any settings after flashing in order to hook up with T-Mobile data.

Should I do a nandroid backup in between the two videos?

Should I install My Backup and use that before starting any of the above?

Having followed all of the above I presume that all of my applications will have been wiped and I'll need to download everything from the market and reinstall?

All my texts and contacts will be wiped?

Does the procedure wipe the SD card?

Sorry for the basic questions but I have zero experience of this and almost zero Linux experience so it all seems like black magic just now. I'm sure all will become clear in due course but right now I'm just a bit nervous.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by worcester4x4

Guest lozerence
One very fed up T Mob G2 owner here who has completely lost patience waiting for the never-ending saga of the T Mob ROM update.

I've decided to root and flash my G2 but have to admit I'm nervous about the whole procedure and not a little confused by all the threads I've been reading on how to do this.

Can I simply follow the two videos on theunlockr.com "How to root your Hero in one click" and "how to load a custom ROM on your Hero" and that will work on a G2? Will I need to change any settings after flashing in order to hook up with T-Mobile data.

Having followed all of the above I presume that all of my applications will have been wiped and I'll need to download everything from the market and reinstall?

Sorry for the basic questions but I have zero experience of this and almost zero Linux experience so it all seems like black magic just now. I'm sure all will become clear in due course but right now I'm just a bit nervous.

Thanks in advance.

I just recently rooted my G2 and flashed it with the stock 2.73 rom with the radio update built in....now my phone runs real smooth and my signal has been boosted by 1-2 bars!

The precedure is pretty much as simple as following the two unlockr videos, but definately make a nandroid backup in between the 2 videos!

i myself purchased mybackup pro. Make a backup before you do anything, this backs up all ur sms, mms, call logs, home screen setup etc etc etc. you can also backup all of your applications so u can simply re-download mybackup pro once rooted and it will re-download all of ur apps and install them for you. It really is simple, although i found it daunting as well. Just to pre warn you, once you root your phone and load a new ROM i found the first time the phone loaded up it kinda took a but longer than normal and my heart did sink! but just be patient it does work! i have used my nandroid backup just to make sure it works...and along and behold you can restore your phone to pre-modaco in a couple of mins! o yeah and ur sd card is untouched in the whole procedure....

Good luck

Guest Musicmannetje

I can understand the struggle you are going through. I had the same worries when I first read about roms, upgrades, Rooted devs etc.

I'll try to describe my path to a full working modded G2:

I installed MyBackup to backup both apps and data. Then I copied the complete SD card to my laptop HD, to make sure I had it all.

Put the MoDaCo 2.2 rom files (core, enhanced and radio) on the SD card, together with the recovery image (saves time on the install).

I installed the recovery image, following Amon_Ra's procedure (see here). This one has the options to format the SD card with the right settings, within one click. After booting up in recovery mode, I made a nandroid backup of the rom and (just to be sure) rebooted again, connected the phone to usb and copied the nandroid folder to the hd backup folder (where the other SD files were stored).

Now for the sweatty part: Rebooted the phone again in recovery mode and did a wipe / factory default reset.

(Don't worry, the nandroid is there and the mybackup files are also stored safely.)

Then installed the MoDaCo 2.2 core rom which completes really quick, after which I installed the enhanced rom in the same way.

At last I installed the radio rom, which needs a reboot to complete. This reboots back into the recovery mode, and after selecting the reboot from the menu, the phone came up.

I played around with it for a while, just to be sure it was working okay.

For the second stage of the project, moving the apps to the SD card, rebooted into recovery again and selected the format of the SD card (fat32+ext2+swap). This will loose all your SD card data, so be glad you have backed that up to the hd.

I have read that when then apps partition on the SD card is formatted as ext3, this will speed up the phone, so i selected that option as well.

Now, when rebooting the phone, it takes some time for it to come up again.. this time is needed to copy the apps over to the SD card.

When the phone is alive again, I connected it to the PC, connect USB and put back all files from the backup on the HD

The finishing touch is now to go to the market, install Mybackup again and restore data and apps from the SD to the phone.

Restoring the data will put back emails, sms and mms messages, contacts, system settings, application settings, etc.. Restoring the apps saves you from spending time on the market again. The only thing, strangely enough, which is not restored, was the settings of the exchange server for data synchronisation. This is (i guess) due to the fact that this part is not available in the G1 models.

This is what I have running now, up to date without any noticable error.

Good luck!

Guest worcester4x4

Thank you both for the encouragement. I did it last night and it was a doddle. I have Modaco 2.3 + enhanced + new radio installed. I haven't yet wiped and formatted the SD, nor have I restored the apps and data. I'll play with it for a while first I think.

Woo Hoo!!

Guest alistair182

Hello!

New poster who has recently liberated their G2 by installing the generic HTC Hero ROM with the Radio update included (Please do not be offended Paul, it was simply the first one I had first hand confirmation would solve my missing SMS problem and would be easy to do on the G2).

Used Amon-Ra recovery image and method from unlockr.

Had a couple of questions and would greatly appreciate any help! Apologies for complete noobness...

1) Having installed the generic HTC Hero ROM update, does this mean from now on I can just treat my phone like a stock Hero and install future updates directly from HTC (Donut etc) when they are ready? (using someone else's Hero serial number to download them obviously)

2) I can still boot into the Amon-RA custom recovery image, does this mean my phone is still rooted? (As it mentions "root" as one of its features)

3) If I am still rooted (albeit running the Generic ROM), and given I use Mac OS X, will the WiFi tethering app 1.52 work for me and is this the same way the MoDaCo custom ROM achieve the same? Is it simply a matter of installing and running it?

Once again, apologies for my ignorance, but now I am into rooting I promise I will use any knowledge you guys give me to help others!

All the best!

Guest worcester4x4

After flashing my G2 with ROM v2.3 I have no mobile data setting, the APN settings are empty.

I've tried entering the settings given in post #43 but they don't work, neither do any other settings that I've googled.

Does anyone have the definitive APN settings for the G2 please?

Edited by worcester4x4

Guest dk1982

Dear Paul,

I updated my T-Mobile G2 Touch with the RUU that was posted up on the T-Mobile UK Website yesterday evening... I did a nandroid back up thinking that if I didn't like the ROM I would revert to your MODACO 2.2 version. Having noticed that the phone got completed wiped by the new ROM. I did steps to RE-ROOT the phone using flash rec + Cyanogen 1.4 .... The "Flash recover image" remianed greyed out... I have been looking everywhere for some step by step instructions on how to RE-Root the phone and get the custom Roms MD 2.2 back on but with no luck....

Is there a way to do this.... ?

Some help from the Forum members and "savvys" would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for all your help and advice everyone.

Darren

Guest worcester4x4
Dear Paul,

I updated my T-Mobile G2 Touch with the RUU that was posted up on the T-Mobile UK Website yesterday evening... I did a nandroid back up thinking that if I didn't like the ROM I would revert to your MODACO 2.2 version. Having noticed that the phone got completed wiped by the new ROM. I did steps to RE-ROOT the phone using flash rec + Cyanogen 1.4 .... The "Flash recover image" remianed greyed out... I have been looking everywhere for some step by step instructions on how to RE-Root the phone and get the custom Roms MD 2.2 back on but with no luck....

Is there a way to do this.... ?

Some help from the Forum members and "savvys" would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for all your help and advice everyone.

Darren

I may be wrong but I was given to understand that the T-Mobile ROM update would prevent any future rooting of the handset?

Edited by worcester4x4

I may be wrong but I was given to understand that the T-Mobile ROM update would prevent any future rooting of the handset?

not necessary any future rooting, but as for now there is no known method to root the rom...

Guest Remington Steale

All the current methods of installing recovery images and modified roms rely on a kernel exploit that existed in the previous rom versions. The newer updates, including the t-mobile official update for the G2/Hero, patch this vulnerability.

We just have to wait for a new kernel exploit to be found.

• 1 month later...
Guest Adbul Rehman

hi paul i have a HTC hero T-mobile and has the following configuration:

model number:T-mobile G2 touch

firmware: 1.5

baseband version: 63.18.55.o6U_6.35.04.25

kernel version: 2.6.27-a5504199

build number: 1.76.110.6 146733 CL# 47214 release-keys

software version: 1.0.0.A6288

the device is unlocked and i want to update it from the latest ROM or something would u suggest anything? i am new to android

Regards