Upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5?

Guest David Strange

Guest David Strange

Windows Mobile 6.5 claims to offer several advantages over 6.1, but they don’t compel me so much. The two that spring immediately to mind are:

Finger-friendly UI – I use SPB Mobile Shell (just updated to v3.5) and this is really finger-friendly. Indeed, I find it a perfect UI for a mobile phone; all of those details on the main screen are just what one needs to see.

Updated version of IE – IE on Windows Mobile has nowhere near the capabilities of other browsers. The new version will supposedly run Flash Lite. Big deal, I have a full version of Flash on Opera Mobile 9.7. IE on 6.5 also supposedly is compliant with the IE6 desktop ‘standard’. Big deal, Opera is compliant with up-to-date standards. Moreover, Opera has hardware accelerated graphics and the Turbo feature for speeding up browsing on low bandwidth connections. I also hope that in a future build it will support the urlfilter.ini that v9.5 did for blocking ads.

There are other things that put me off. I am told WinMo6.5 doesn’t support GAPI which stops a lot of games from running. I am also told WVGAFix doesn’t run on it reliably, which will stop many games from working.

Now, you may be thinking ‘What about that memory card corruption/random slowdowns/random reboots?’ I have not had any memory card corruption since August. I have never had the SD card disappear from the filesystem. It seems doubtful to me that an upgrade from 6.1 to 6.5 would change the filesystem code anyway. I’ve never had any slowdowns or random reboots.

Finally, there is the decider: laziness. Can I really be bothered to upgrade the ROM and reinstall all of my applications? I have prepared a list of things I’d need to reinstall and it stretches to three pages. I could well just be too idle to bother.

Let us be honest, I may well upgrade. However, I doubt I’ll do it immediately. I’ll wait and see what other people’s experience of the new version is. For now, I am very happy with how my TG01 is running (especially now it doesn’t corrupt the sdcard), I don’t feel I am missing anything from the experience.

I'd be interested to hear other people's views.

Cheers,

David.

Edited by David Strange

Guest xdalover
Let us be honest, I may well upgrade. However, I doubt I’ll do it immediately. I’ll wait and see what other people’s experience of the new version is. For now, I am very happy with how my TG01 is running (especially now it doesn’t corrupt the sdcard), I don’t feel I am missing anything from the experience.

Cheers,

David.

I agree . Never be the first, wait and see :) . I'm also very pleased with my TG01 running WM6.1.

Cordially

Guest David Strange
I will be of the first ones to upgrade :) Because I tried WM6.5 on my Diamond and I like it !

Oh you've got to try harder than that to sell it :D What is so good about it that merits an instant upgrade?

David.

Guest IBTECH

It might disable GAPI but it comes with Marketplace which will offer far better games that actually support WVGA (so no need for wvgafix) and hopefully it will resolve most of the mysterious issues the TG01 is having.

I have had FOUR SD card corruption in the past week ( I had none for the first 3 weeks using the device) and I cant wait to get this update.

Not to mention the random reboots, lag when recording a video, random OS lags and such.

If this update does not make the device stable, I will introduce the TG01 to eBay.

Also rumors have it that the 6.5 update will come with the SPB mobile shell preinstalled.

Guest David Strange
It might disable GAPI but it comes with Marketplace which will offer far better games that actually support WVGA (so no need for wvgafix) and hopefully it will resolve most of the mysterious issues the TG01 is having.

I have had FOUR SD card corruption in the past week ( I had none for the first 3 weeks using the device) and I cant wait to get this update.

Not to mention the random reboots, lag when recording a video, random OS lags and such.

If this update does not make the device stable, I will introduce the TG01 to eBay.

Also rumors have it that the 6.5 update will come with the SPB mobile shell preinstalled.

I would be very surprised if WinMo6.5 came with SPB Mobile Shell, it would render the UI upgrade pointless.

If we are trading rumors, it seems that Marketplace will be coming to 6 and 6.1, reported here. Moreover, it is all very well and good saying that Marketplace will have new games to support WVGA, but that doesn't help those of us with an investment in older games that require GAPI/WVGAFix. I've spent a reasonable amount on games and I want to keep being able to play them. Furthermore, since WinMo6.5 does not require a WVGA screen there is no reason why the Marketplace should have significantly many more WVGA games than we can currently access from other sources (although it would be more convenient to get them from one location, of course).

I have never experienced random reboots, lag when recording a video or random OS lag. It seems that some people are unlucky in getting those problems. As I said, since this is not a major upgrade (beyond the UI and IE being fiddled with) it would surprise me if the filesystem code would be changed*. We shall have to wait and see, I suppose.

Cheers,

David.

*Just to clarify why I say this: if Toshiba had changed the filesystem code then those of us who have emailed their support address reporting problems would have got the easy answer "We've fixed the filesystem problems in Windows Mobile 6.5, wait for the upgrade". I didn't get this response from Tosh. Moreover, everything I've read about 6.5 makes no reference to Microsoft updating that part of the OS. I hope the upgrade solves your problems, but I'd not be expecting any miracle transformation of your phone.

Edited by David Strange

as the eternal optimist, i'm hoping for:

apps with better ui - market place will hopefully engourage more apps & i think i read somewhere that 6.5 will be more 'skinnable' so apps may look/feel better?

opengl driver improvement - opengl seems to have issues on tg01 (tried call of duty and some glbenchmark on my tg01, neither worked very well)

logical power button response - might just be me , but the power button on my tg01 is pretty sketchy.

better audio quality

performance improvements - i read somewhere that the whole wm stack is compiled for arm v4 or something so cant take full advantage of snapdragon

fixed screen rotation with accelerometer - (i.e. only roatates when phone is fully rotated 90 degrees) also maybe standardised acceleromter api...

a 'zoom bar' that actually does something usefull - (i'd love to be able to scroll thru lists with this thing in portrait mode but that will probly never happen) :)

xda-devs taking an interest in developing software on snapdragon - (after htc leo is out) altho i'm worried there will be some v.cool multitouch apps that we will not be able to use

microsoft 'myphone' to let me send/recieve sms etc from my pc

Edited by bingm

Guest leeston2379

I will upgrade as soon as orange UK offer it (which may be a while), In my humble opinion not upgrading would be like having a Ferrari with a Skoda interior (please excuse the poor analogy). One of the most up to date devices with an old os doesn't seem logical to me. I also believe the TG01 was supposed to have 6.5 from the word go, but Toshiba didn't want to wait to get the device out.

I second The Real Mc Coys comments about 6.5 on the diamond, though really it was just the fact that it was shinier than 6.1 that i liked.

On that note though i fully understand the comments made by David Strange, i'm just not that patient.

Edited by leeston2379

Windows Mobile 6.5 claims to offer several advantages over 6.1, but they don’t compel me so much. The two that spring immediately to mind are:

Finger-friendly UI – I use SPB Mobile Shell (just updated to v3.5) and this is really finger-friendly. Indeed, I find it a perfect UI for a mobile phone; all of those details on the main screen are just what one needs to see.

Updated version of IE – IE on Windows Mobile has nowhere near the capabilities of other browsers. The new version will supposedly run Flash Lite. Big deal, I have a full version of Flash on Opera Mobile 9.7. IE on 6.5 also supposedly is compliant with the IE6 desktop ‘standard’. Big deal, Opera is compliant with up-to-date standards. Moreover, Opera has hardware accelerated graphics and the Turbo feature for speeding up browsing on low bandwidth connections. I also hope that in a future build it will support the urlfilter.ini that v9.5 did for blocking ads.

There are other things that put me off. I am told WinMo6.5 doesn’t support GAPI which stops a lot of games from running. I am also told WVGAFix doesn’t run on it reliably, which will stop many games from working.

Now, you may be thinking ‘What about that memory card corruption/random slowdowns/random reboots?’ I have not had any memory card corruption since August. I have never had the SD card disappear from the filesystem. It seems doubtful to me that an upgrade from 6.1 to 6.5 would change the filesystem code anyway. I’ve never had any slowdowns or random reboots.

Finally, there is the decider: laziness. Can I really be bothered to upgrade the ROM and reinstall all of my applications? I have prepared a list of things I’d need to reinstall and it stretches to three pages. I could well just be too idle to bother.

Cheers,

David.

Hi David,

The main advantage of wm 6.5 is the improved performance, UI has been improved but performance is really good, I have flashed my omnia, a touch pro, a touch pro 2 and also and old imate and all the devices became more responsive and usefull, tg01 cpu is great and I really believe that the upgrade is good,

cheers,

Hlov

Guest David Strange
Hi David,

The main advantage of wm 6.5 is the improved performance, UI has been improved but performance is really good, I have flashed my omnia, a touch pro, a touch pro 2 and also and old imate and all the devices became more responsive and usefull, tg01 cpu is great and I really believe that the upgrade is good,

cheers,

Hlov

Ah now I'd be very happy if it was even faster. I don't think the current version is slow (compared to my Xperia and Diamond it is positively whizzy) but fast is what we like!

Cheers,

David

Guest The Real Mc Coy
Oh you've got to try harder than that to sell it :D What is so good about it that merits an instant upgrade?

David.

I'm not selling it... neither do I have any interest in other persons to upgrade :D I will upgrade ASAP.

I've played with WM6.5 on my previous PDA (a Diamond) and I like it :P I like the Titanium plugins.

And I hope it will correct bugs (even I doubt it).

I'm also fed up with WM6.1 you have to control with a stylus :)

And I doubt that there will be any update to TG01 WM6.1 :D

But you are right : if one upgrade to get MarketPlace (the store should also be available for WM6.1) or improved IE (Opera and some other softs are better) this is not enough...

You say GAPI does not work : allbeit I don't care of playing with my TG01 I'm pretty sure this gonna be fixed (it not already). Remember that WM6.5 so far are not the official one...

I do hope this will be a OTA update without needing to reinstall software. One can dream :D

If not... it's not a big issue for me as I reinstalled my apps after each hard reset (more than 30 times for me, but I test lots of things).

Edited by The Real Mc Coy

Guest tycho43

just thought id point out(sorry if im late with news again lol) toshiba added a little note to their mobile webpage ...TG01 6.5 update coming soon !!

anywho tata for now

Tych

Guest The Real Mc Coy

Yes... this is here for a few days...

Here is the French page (with a nice spelling error I highlighted in orange) :

tg0165.png

By trmc at 2009-09-29

Edited by The Real Mc Coy

Guest IBTECH

Look here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=4672526

This is the Orange UK 6.5 ROM.

I have not tested it.

EDIT: I can confirm this works. I just flashed to 6.5 using this.

Please note that I have an orange UK phone.

Hi there, hope someone can put this to some use.

Its a program sent out to Orange UK stores to upgrade their Toshiba TG01 demo phones.

It came on a memory card, you just had to run the exe through file explorer then it installed 6.5 on it.

I've uploaded it to 4shared as its about 250mb unzipped.

Download the 2 parts and extract together.

I'm afraid I'm no programmer so I've no idea if this is even useful to anyone but thought I'd try anyway.

http://www.4shared.com/file/13786926...a_65part1.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/13786926...a_65part2.html

Edited by IBTECH

Guest The Real Mc Coy

I just DL it...

It consists in one EXE (flash software ?) and one TSW (ROM ?).

As I have a French TG01 I may try it... or not :)

Guest The Real Mc Coy

I did :)

TG01 reboot and says in a text window :

SD Downloading failed.

Variant is invalid!!

Then it reboots and I'm back on WM6.1 :D

Guest *LeiTo*
I did :)

TG01 reboot and says in a text window :

SD Downloading failed.

Variant is invalid!!

Then it reboots and I'm back on WM6.1 :D

yep me too

The official upgrade to WM 6.5 for TG01 (Orange UK) seems to be happening on 12th of October. This is a lot better than what all of us here expected from Orange (something like January/February 2010).

http://bangbangtech.com/archives/111225/wi...ng-october-12th

Would you wait till then, or go with the leaked copy?

Edited by clmnw

Look here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=4672526

This is the Orange UK 6.5 ROM.

I have not tested it.

EDIT: I can confirm this works. I just flashed to 6.5 using this.

Please note that I have an orange UK phone.

Hi can you tell us how exactly you flashed your tg01? Doesn't seem to work on my. I download the file unzip it and copy the directory and files in to my sd card. Run tg01_sddl.exe from phone and fail.

ps. my is uk orange tg01 as well.

Guest tycho43

Same here....guess they cottoned onto the leak and put a stop to the download part or someat.

october 12th aint to long to wait tho...lol i do hope they mean 2009