WM 6.5 on TG01. First Impressions

Guest xdalover

Guest xdalover

Well :) , in fact I'm still waiting for the Spanish version, but I've decided to open this new topic to help people loocking for information about how the new release works.

I'd like to request to the happy people who are the first in testing the English revision, to share their opinion with all us.... here, to avoid spreading the information in other topics.

Please compare it with the former WM6.1

And my first question(s) is if the famous TG01 original sins (Low volume, crazy position sensor, reduced battery life, poor battery meter, access to internal GPS) have been solved or improved at least ... or not....

Thank you !

ok, i've had installed for 6 hours or so now.will try to be quick

pie < mie <opera 9.7

tosh menu <orange <titanium home screen

(orange home shows promise but lags like hell)

office apps=same

screen rotation=same :)

volume=maybe louder,not sure yet

power button=same

sdcard corruption =?

battery meter= accurate so far

os feels a bit slower overall :D

os menus much nicer

colour gradients much smoother,up from 65k colours to 256k colours?

marketplace is iphony but more expensive and less apps(duhh)

overall, pleased but not impressed

Guest leeston2379

I've just upgraded to 6.5 on UK Orange, have now got all my usual programs running without any hassle.

I would note that the update available at the moment changes the device id, so it is possible that some of your registered programs won't work, ie. tomtom.

Other than that i am so far pleased with the new os, i am used to 6.5 as i had a diamond with it on and am pleased to have it back, i personally found 6.1 a little difficult to use with fingers instead of a stylus and 6.5 goes a long way to help this.

The phone is running fast and smooth, no choppyness when scrolling

The startup time seems to me to be a little bit faster, and the audio also seems better. Though i will confirm the audio tomorrow.

Market place is working.

I have also installed a cab to change to a 4row start menu, which is nice on a large screen. It can be found HERE.

After a couple of days use i have found 6.5 to be nice and stable with no errors or crashs. TomTom has lost a couple of speech bugs that i used to have.

The Audio is much louder i find, especially using TomTom (yes i use it alot). In call audio is much better to.

The only problem i have is trying to install tsowen taskbar3, it just won't display correctly. Haven't tried any of the other versions yet though.

Overall i am very pleased with the update.

Edited by leeston2379

Guest IBTECH

Using 6.5 with titanium:

Power button: much more responsive.

in-call volume: to me it sounds much louder.

Speaker volume: slightly louder.

Bluetooth + wifi issue: So far it is GONE.

Responsiveness: feels slightly slower, but not too bad.

So far for me: MUCH better than 6.1.

Guest Medved77

Got a few questions, hopefully someone who has already upgraded can help:

Would either Sprite backup or SPB backup restore all programs as they were before installing 6.5? I'm reluctant to upgrade to the orange rom as I could do without their branding. (my phone is from orange but not using their network). If all programs need to be reinstalled manually I'd rather wait for the Toshiba stock rom.

Also, don't suppose there's an update log anywhere which states bug fixes? (volume, rebooting, sd card formatting etc.) Is the orange rom purely the os update or has toshiba fixed some issues at the same time?

Guest hdbueller

Well, I have had it installed for about 5 hours now and have only found 1 issue so far. Microsoft voice command does not seem to want to work on this version of 6.5. I have 3 differant builds of it and they all have similar problems..... the bt headset will not connect, and on install I get the "unrecoverable error has occurred" message.

Other than that, it seems to work pretty well! I am going to install Mobile shell 3.5 yet tonight and see what happens. Also, the in-call volume when NOT using a headset is greatly improved.

Later.... :)

Guest bsnguy

I've been using it for a couple of hours. I installed SPB Shell 3.5 on it and I'm "back at home." I've been playing with 3.5 for a while on other devices so don't have a "first impression" but it does run well on the TG01. I noticed a couple oddities:

1) Maybe I just don't remember, right, but holding "volume up" now rotates the screen, not "volume down." (I have auto rotate off... it's still way to sensitive even with the 6.5 build for my tastes).

2) Nothing scientific, yet, but battery life *for me* seems worse. Granted, I adjust the CPU to be full speed and keep it there all the time (I do real-time imaging with this device so performance, not battery life, is most important to me, but it just seems worse at this point).

Guest Neil5459
Got a few questions, hopefully someone who has already upgraded can help:

Would either Sprite backup or SPB backup restore all programs as they were before installing 6.5? I'm reluctant to upgrade to the orange rom as I could do without their branding. (my phone is from orange but not using their network). If all programs need to be reinstalled manually I'd rather wait for the Toshiba stock rom.

This technically can be done, but is not recommended. Sprite and Spb both have ROM Update functions, but everyone who has used them reports errors after the restore, especially in the messaging applications.

My advice is to 'bite the bullet' and reinstall everything after the update to WM6.5, then try a 'version update' if you load the Toshiba ROM, as this will at least be the same OS version.

Guest Neil5459
I've been using it for a couple of hours. I installed SPB Shell 3.5 on it and I'm "back at home." I've been playing with 3.5 for a while on other devices so don't have a "first impression" but it does run well on the TG01. I noticed a couple oddities:

1) Maybe I just don't remember, right, but holding "volume up" now rotates the screen, not "volume down." (I have auto rotate off... it's still way to sensitive even with the 6.5 build for my tastes).

As far as I know, the 'hold volume up' function used to invoke the screen lock?

On this build, as you say, when Auto Rotate is off, then holding the 'Up' button rotates the screen.

Guest Neil5459
Thank you guys for your cooperation! Come on! :)

• We now have 3 Home Screens- Orange, Tosh, Titanium. Orange is better than it was, Tosh worse and Titanium OK. Still prefer MS3.5!
  • Subjectively it runs very slightly slower.
  • Startup is much quicker
  • Available Storage down from 250 to 205MB (with the (now 4) game demos and Demo video removed): this is consistent with other builds of WM6.5
  • RAM is a little higher at 86MB (before installing MS3.5)
  • Aborting the Ext ROM installation makes no difference to RAM or Storage (and even if aborted it autostarts again about 3 minutes after a restart!)
  • Messaging: Swiping within and between open messages now works properly
  • Host USB: Now supports large memory sticks/cards
  • MS3.5: Bug in Picture Frame which caused the camera to keep opening has gone
  • Not sure about battery life.

More later!

Guest leeston2379
Can anyone post a link where the update can be found?

They already did. Post 17 of the Upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5? thread.

For those who are to lazy to search it's HERE

Credit to GutsyTripod and IBTECH

Guest Neil5459
[More later!

OK- more impressions, good and bad :)

First the bad- this may not be the fault of any one thing, nor the OS. To date I'd never experienced the 'slowdown' effect reported by others, but it hit me big time yesterday evening.

I was just 'messing about' with music, Tomeraider files etc when it stopped responding. All screen were taking 20-30 seconds to draw. Did a soft reset- no difference. Removed Mobile Shell and SpB Weather (my 2 most recent installations)- no change. Took the battery out and reinserted- back to normal again for 15 minutes then as before.

Took battery out again and it cleared, but again this morning it recurred and battery removal didn't clear it. Have now done another hard reset and am using it in 'vanilla mode' with the Titanium home screen and all OK so far.

Positives: the 'screen blank' in calls has been replaced by a warning screen giving the option to double tap the screen to keep it on, which is much better. Also, the WM6.5 incoming call screen is much better with sliders to accept or reject the call.

Guest razerbug

Possibly a silly question but I'm on Orange in the UK and they said any upgrade would be provided by toshiba, who have no info as of yet on their website about an upgrade... where/how did you guys get it?!

Guest thebigshazbowski
OK- more impressions, good and bad :(

First the bad- this may not be the fault of any one thing, nor the OS. To date I'd never experienced the 'slowdown' effect reported by others, but it hit me big time yesterday evening.

I was just 'messing about' with music, Tomeraider files etc when it stopped responding. All screen were taking 20-30 seconds to draw. Did a soft reset- no difference. Removed Mobile Shell and SpB Weather (my 2 most recent installations)- no change. Took the battery out and reinserted- back to normal again for 15 minutes then as before.

Took battery out again and it cleared, but again this morning it recurred and battery removal didn't clear it. Have now done another hard reset and am using it in 'vanilla mode' with the Titanium home screen and all OK so far.

Positives: the 'screen blank' in calls has been replaced by a warning screen giving the option to double tap the screen to keep it on, which is much better. Also, the WM6.5 incoming call screen is much better with sliders to accept or reject the call.

I too was merrily enjoying my winmo 6.1 with SPB MS 3.0. Had very little problems aisde from the usual reported, low ringer, low in call volume a few other little things but nothing major stopping me using this phone (albeit as a 2nd phone for video and music).

So ~I thought hey i'll upgrade to Orange stock 6.5 rom. Done last night.

But now I have all sorts of major problems that others have reported like the random slow down (as above corrected with hard reset), WMP stopping playback when the phone goes into standby, bluetooth not reconnecting unless turned on at headphones 1st then on phone, high battery usage for no apparent reason, crackling during calls, and that's all in the last 24 hrs.. who knows what else will happen.

Comments on winmo 6.5 - nowt special mostly UI changes - irrelevant if you use mobile shell. Not sure if any underlying code changes were made but they are not noticeable to me so far in my typical usage.

Anyhoo - if anyone has a fix to the WMP stopping during phone standby - I'd greatly appreciate it ;) Incidentally I tried the reg fix where you add 'Unattended Playback' but that doesn't work over bluetooth when using forward/back controls especially :)

Guest rooney101

IF YOU TRY TO BLOW REALLY HARD WITH YOUR MOUTH INTO THE MICROPHONE OF THE TG01 - JUST UNDER THE HOME BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM WHERE THERE IS A LITTLE RECTANGULAR HOLE.

THIS SOLVE ALL THE PROBLEMS LISTED

BLOW CONSISTENTLY AND REPEATEDLY BETWEEN 5-10 TIMES TO CLEAN IT OUT PROPERLY.

NO MORE ISSUES

Guest The Real Mc Coy

Please do not use CAPS as it means you are shouting !!!

My impression : so far so good !

Bluetooth stack has been ttotally changed as I now have no more disconnects with my Bt headset (Samnsung SBH650) and when I power on it, it is now well detected and headset mode is set ON. On WM6.1 I had to switch off Bt, switch on my headset and then switch on Bt for the headset to be recognized and I had several disconnections when a call is aborted.

Sound is louder too even in speaker mode.

No reboot so far.

Maybe file browsing is slightly slower...

Still testing and modifying the Titanium interface :)

Edited by The Real Mc Coy

Guest Wildfire

i have just installed the 6.5 update, my feelings so far....

Speed, yes it does appear to be quicker, right from the moment the power switch is pushed

It still has a lot of Orange Branding about it. The default home screen is the orange screen, not really sure if i like it a lot :)

Haven't tried the volume yet, i never had an issue with it in the past thought.

The fonts seem to be sharper, simple changes in the layout of the SMS/MMS and Email menus makes it look a lot nicer

Start menu, This looks to be the biggest change for me, more graphical and brighter, however:

1) There is a 'Today' icon on the screen, this confused me as i thought it was the icon to personalise the screen, instead it takes you back to what i refer to as the main screen/desktop. The Today option for personalising the main menu is still within 'Settings' and still called 'Today' Eh!!!!

2) Unable to customise the layout of the icons within the start menu, i use google maps a lot, as default any new icon is positioned at the bottom of the list, you can move it, but only to the top of the list, i have other things i use more frequently and want them positioned ahed of the Google maps icon (sounds like a small gripe but still something that bothers me)

3) Unable to go back one step within the start menu, for instance, if i go Start>>settings>>Power and make a change once i accept that change i go all the way back to the desktop, on 6.1, and previous versions you went back one step usually

4) When the screen rotates from portate to landscape the start menu doesn't cover the entire of the screen, it leave two 'borders' it looks as thought when the menu was created there was no provision for landscape, again just a small niggle but it appears that someone has not fully completed the job.

What's going on with the battery display!!!! On 6.1 it was there all the time, granted it showed 100% all the time no matter what state the battery was in but on 6.5 it appear to 'toggle' between the time and the battery status, for example

Display on Portrate, battery displayed, select it to go to the menu, check the battery level, select OK and you return to the desktop, in place of the battery you now have the time.

Now rotate the screen to landscape, time disappears and battery level reappears

I have my desktop set with catagories, such as, Date, Messaging, Caledar, owner info. i Would have like to have seen this more customisable, things like being able to add MSN weather

A lot of what i have said sounds really negative, and i really want to like both the phone and the 6.5 update, but i really feel that microsoft have missed the boat again with this update.

If some of the things i have been negative about can be resolved please let me know.

Guest razerbug
Please do not use CAPS as it means you are shouting !!!

My impression : so far so good !

Bluetooth stack has been ttotally changed as I now have no more disconnects with my Bt headset (Samnsung SBH650) and when I power on it, it is now well detected and headset mode is set ON. On WM6.1 I had to switch off Bt, switch on my headset and then switch on Bt for the headset to be recognized and I had several disconnections when a call is aborted.

Sound is louder too even in speaker mode.

No reboot so far.

Maybe file browsing is slightly slower...

Still testing and modifying the Titanium interface :)

Have to agree with this, although for me file browsing is not slower, it's the same or faster.

in regards to volume I have to say I can put the volume up loud enough to make the speaker distort and I have to hold the phone away from my ear if I want. I find the reason it sounded quiet to start with is the size of the TG01 makes it strange to hold. It's not that it's quiet, so much as you need to re-learn where to hold the ear-piece from a conventional small mobile.

also: I've heard a lot of talk about the "titanium" UI, is this the name of the winphone look or is this a custom theme that everyone's using?

Guest Neil5459

Titanium is the Windows Mobile 6.5 front end- the one with the horizontal bars that you drag up/down,. then swipe across to select.

In Today/Item is it called 'Windows Default'

Guest Medved77
A lot of what i have said sounds really negative, and i really want to like both the phone and the 6.5 update, but i really feel that microsoft have missed the boat again with this update.

I agree with you here, I think the update Microsoft OS is still miles behind Android and the iphone OS - strange as they've had so long to look at their competitors but have still decided to include a fraction of the features. Microsoft's PC OS has a long history of copying Mac OS components, why have they now decided to release something so featureless?

I played with Titanium for about 20 minutes before re-installing SPB MS 3.5. With so many applications installed on my phone I can think of nothing worse than to have them in 1 long list, sure I could have created folders for each type and placed them that way but why bother when mobile shell does it so much better?

If it wasn't for the problem with the volume in the 6.1 ROM in hindsight I wouldn't have bothered upgrading at all. To me personally, it was not worth the time it took to reinstall and reconfigure all my programs.

Maybe with WM7 we'll see huge improvements in the windows phone OS however I doubt we'll be able to do this on our TG01's. There's no doubt in my mind that our current hardware will be capable of running it but with it's unlikely that Toshiba would release a software update for a year old phone. It could be built in to a cooked rom but that all depends on whether someone is prepared to take on the challenge.

I really wish xda would take this phone under their wing. ROM's would be plentiful, games would work with the g-sensor etc.

I agree with you here, I think the update Microsoft OS is still miles behind Android and the iphone OS - strange as they've had so long to look at their competitors but have still decided to include a fraction of the features. Microsoft's PC OS has a long history of copying Mac OS components, why have they now decided to release something so featureless?

I played with Titanium for about 20 minutes before re-installing SPB MS 3.5. With so many applications installed on my phone I can think of nothing worse than to have them in 1 long list, sure I could have created folders for each type and placed them that way but why bother when mobile shell does it so much better?

If it wasn't for the problem with the volume in the 6.1 ROM in hindsight I wouldn't have bothered upgrading at all. To me personally, it was not worth the time it took to reinstall and reconfigure all my programs.

Maybe with WM7 we'll see huge improvements in the windows phone OS however I doubt we'll be able to do this on our TG01's. There's no doubt in my mind that our current hardware will be capable of running it but with it's unlikely that Toshiba would release a software update for a year old phone. It could be built in to a cooked rom but that all depends on whether someone is prepared to take on the challenge.

I really wish xda would take this phone under their wing. ROM's would be plentiful, games would work with the g-sensor etc.

Forget Wm7. It run only on capacitive screen.