WM 6.5 / Tips & "De-samsungizing"

Guest rodrigofd

Hello everybody!, After trying today new 6.5 secany rom, which i waited for so long time, and reading lots of posts of people with similar issues and wishes as me, i decided to put hands in the matter, and with my little knowledge try to tune up this new rom.

(PD. i am and old htc & xda-dev user so i have that strong influence)..

I here share what i managed up to now, and i would love to everyone finding new useful tweaks, to post them in this thread....!

1) SHOW WINDOWS SETTINGS IN START MENU (AT LAST!!!!!! CREDIT TO MYSELF :D !) :

Open any registry editor, go to path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\

Value 'HideSettings' Set to '0'.. and soft-reset... Voila!

2) Windows Marketplace works fine.. actually you can download there a newer Windows Live version (MSN included) which isn't available anywhere else. However, its mostly a graphic restyle, no new awaited functions (nudge, video call, offline messages) :)

PD. In order to work , soft-reset after installing (although it doesn't instruct you to do so)

3) For some who said that screen rotation is not available in this rom, not true, you can still use the known trick to set reg. value 'HideOrientationUI' to '0', then goto control panel 'buttons', and remap any button to special function '(rotate screen)'.

4) A-GPS improvement: asides from 'XTRA' function (HTC QuickGPS equivalent), the A-GPS server value is not set by default.

Don't know if setting it actually improves performance, gotta test it tomorrow:

HLKM\Software\Samsung\RIL\GPS\ServerAddress = 'some_agps_server' (eg. supl.nokia.com).

I'll keep adding while i remember more !!

See ya

I successfully flashed secany's rom- thanks

A few observations...

tactile is better as others have mentioned. I put on spb shell 3.5 with no issues. The rotate screen registry mod on tips & tricks worked perfect. With SPB installed, it became pretty familiar again but much more responsive running 6.5 with regards to the screen.

BTW, I can play video on media player fine...

I cannot however discover a way to change the time- It is stuck in military time mode. Any fixes on this?

Guest emperorben
I cannot however discover a way to change the time- It is stuck in military time mode. Any fixes on this?

Got to Settings-->Advanced Settings-->System-->Regional Settings

Got to the "Time" tab and change the "Time Style" to "h:mm:ss tt"

It is stuck in military time mode.

That's not military mode. Many (if not most) countries use 24h mode.

Just imagine that your country (i guess you're from USA or Canada) is not alone on the globe :)

Guest Encarnation

I'm in Canada, I use 24h mode :)

But by the way, guys, do you know any registry hack I can use to restore the OLD start menu (like in 6.1). I don't like the "honeycomb" menu. I think it's actually worst than the old one, usability speaking.

And second, while I'm at it: I use Nitrogen MP3 player for my music, before I used Pocket Music and Pocket Player. But whenever I press the lock button (on the right side of the phone, you know, the button that closes the LCD) it cuts the sound. Any way to fix this?

Guest emperorben
And second, while I'm at it: I use Nitrogen MP3 player for my music, before I used Pocket Music and Pocket Player. But whenever I press the lock button (on the right side of the phone, you know, the button that closes the LCD) it cuts the sound. Any way to fix this?

I used Nitrogen player for a while. The only way i know is to tap the "screen icon" on the player to turn off the LCD while maintaining the sound.

Some customizations i did :

1.Use CHome editor to get rid of Samsung things on the WM6.5 today screen.:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=506951

For instance, Email customizations of Samsung which at this moment are not very good, consume continuous processing power and are slow in general.

Choose to disable SEmail and SText, enable CEmail and CText.

Restart your device after changing things.

2.Start menu

Organize your shotcuts into folders by browsing with your File Manager on the phone to \windows\start menu\programs You see all the links there, and you can just move them into different folders like social/tools/rubbish... etc

3. Set "Today" or something else as the program for Center button so you will not accidentally start Samsungs main menu which i think is also not very good, amazing how UI developers still think that scrolling through 10 pages is faster than the well organized pushable stuff.

Guest forelli
I'm in Canada, I use 24h mode :)

But by the way, guys, do you know any registry hack I can use to restore the OLD start menu (like in 6.1). I don't like the "honeycomb" menu. I think it's actually worst than the old one, usability speaking.

Why don't you try Core player? I know it's not free but very very good. Just google it, you'll find plenty of it.

Thanks for the tricks

but I want to disable the dimming when device is locked

maybe it will be near the samsung lock

if u know how????

Im a new I8000 user

thanks in advance

Guest forelli
Hello everybody!, After trying today new 6.5 secany rom, which i waited for so long time, and reading lots of posts of people with similar issues and wishes as me, i decided to put hands in the matter, and with my little knowledge try to tune up this new rom.

I here share what i managed up to now, and i would love to everyone finding new useful tweaks, to post them in this thread....!

Man, you rock :) . Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest GanjBass

1) SHOW WINDOWS SETTINGS IN START MENU (AT LAST!!!!!! CREDIT TO MYSELF :( !) :

Open any registry editor, go to path:

2) Windows Marketplace works fine.. actually you can download there a newer Windows Live version (MSN included) which isn't available anywhere else. However, its mostly a graphic restyle, no new awaited functions (nudge, video call, offline messages) :)

PD. In order to work , soft-reset after installing (although it doesn't instruct you to do so)

3) For some who said that screen rotation is not available in this rom, not true, you can still use the known trick to set reg. value 'HideOrientationUI' to '0', then goto control panel 'buttons', and remap any button to special function '(rotate screen)'.

4) A-GPS improvement: asides from 'XTRA' function (HTC QuickGPS equivalent), the A-GPS server value is not set by default.

Don't know if setting it actually improves performance, gotta test it tomorrow:

HLKM\Software\Samsung\RIL\GPS\ServerAddress = 'some_agps_server' (eg. supl.nokia.com).

I'll keep adding while i remember more !!

See ya

Nice post my friend usefull info...

I want a help...in this rom mobile dont regonize my contacts saaved with country code...ANy suggestions to resolved? I try the old trick with dublicate contacts but nothing....

Guest Artemon

In this new secany's 6.5 rom i can not change the regisrty values.

There was not problem to do it with 6.1 rom.

I use CeRegeditor, and XP with SP3 and disabled firewall.

Can somebody help me please?

Thanx!

Problem solved!

Resco Registry was the key :-)

(Thank's to AndrewTan)

Edited by Artemon

• 1 month later...
Guest marcelocarapa

Rodrigo, soy tambien de Buenos Aires y hace dos semanas que tengo el Omnia II. Vengo de una Treo 650 con PalmOs y me cuesta bastante WM. Te consulto por si podes orientarme:

1) WM 6.5 esta disponible para el omnia II? De donde lo bajo? Vale la pena?

2) Me gustaria que la pantalla rote con todas las aplicaciones y no solo con algunas, como hago eso en WM 6.1?

3) Hay alguna forma de mejorarle la sensibilidad a la pantalla o es tema de costumbre? Hago un scroll con el dedo y las aplicaciones se abren sin querelo. :)

Tambien te agradeceria cualquier concejo que tengas.

Desde ya gracias.

Marcelo

Guest rodrigofd
Rodrigo, soy tambien de Buenos Aires y hace dos semanas que tengo el Omnia II. Vengo de una Treo 650 con PalmOs y me cuesta bastante WM. Te consulto por si podes orientarme:

1) WM 6.5 esta disponible para el omnia II? De donde lo bajo? Vale la pena?

2) Me gustaria que la pantalla rote con todas las aplicaciones y no solo con algunas, como hago eso en WM 6.1?

3) Hay alguna forma de mejorarle la sensibilidad a la pantalla o es tema de costumbre? Hago un scroll con el dedo y las aplicaciones se abren sin querelo. :)

Tambien te agradeceria cualquier concejo que tengas.

Desde ya gracias.

Marcelo

marcelo, espero que seas de los q prefieren meterse a toquetear y experimentar con el telefono, porque el Windows Mobile basicamente es para eso ... sino, vas a sufrir bastante con equipos como este.... hasta lo mas simple, puede parecer un bardo...

1) Para ponerle el WM 6.5, tenes que actualizarle el firmware (con los equipos WM al firmware se lo llama 'ROM' ), a una versión de Samsung más reciente..

Olvidate de conseguir esa actualizacion directamente de Samsung por ahora, tu mejor opción es bajarla de este foro, de alguno de los dos que las proveen:

SECANY, (es el primer tema de este foro, en la parte superior), tiene 'contactos' dentro de samsung/microsoft y muy seguido va filtrando nuevas ROMS, desde octubre que ya son todas WM 6.5, las primeras eran 6.1 (como la de tu telefono ahora)

SORG, es el que supuestamente mas lejos llegó 'a fondo' del Omnia2, y publicó tambien aca ROMs con WM 6.5, obtenidas de equipos que vinieron con 6.5 de fabrica...

Hay muchas ROMs dando vuelta ya, y las ultimas vinieron con MUCHAS FALLAS....

Te recomiendo la mas estable para mi y que estoy usando ahora:

I8000NXXIJC de SORG

2) No te recomiendo mucho usar la autorotación (que es funcion de samsung, no de WM), pero si queres hacer eso, tenes que agregar valores en el registro, uno para cada aplicacion que queres que rote auto:

HKLM\Software\AutoRotation\

Va un valor por aplicacion, numeradas, 0, 1, 2, 3, ....

Y otro valor con la cantidad de aplicaciones listadas, COUNT (conta el cero)

3) HKLM\System\GWE\Touch\Filter\MinimumTapTime

Cuanto menor el numero de este valor, mas sensible es la pantalla... Proba y fijate

PD. Que empresa de celular usas? la tenes con 3G ? Plan ilimitado ? Comote anda?

Saludos

marcelo, espero que seas de los q prefieren meterse a toquetear y experimentar con el telefono, porque el Windows Mobile basicamente es para eso ... sino, vas a sufrir bastante con equipos como este.... hasta lo mas simple, puede parecer un bardo...

Why don't you want to share your interresting reflexion with non-spanish speaking people ?

Guest rodrigofd
Why don't you want to share your interresting reflexion with non-spanish speaking people ?

OK here you go , though i am native-spanish speaker so my english is kinda funny...

marcelo, i hope for your own sake you are the messing-up and experimenting with the phone, kind of user, since Windows Mobile phones are targeted basically to that audience. Even the simpler tasks can be a pain in the ass....

1) To use WM 6.5 with Omnia2, you should upgrade the phone's firmware (called ROM in WM world) , to a more recent samsung version ...

Forget of getting those directly from samsung, your best bet should be here in MODACO, from someone of the few that provide them:

SECANY (on the top threads, one of the pinned ones) posts official samsung roms, which he gets in an unknown but reliable way, which since september-november are all WM 6.5 (original ones where 6.1=)

and SORG, who is allegedly the first one who actually 'cracked' omnia2 firmware, and was able to flash his own version.

He posted various OFFICIAL WM 6.5 roms, built from the versions shipped on newer phones.

There are lots of ROMs out by now, but most of them , specially newer ones, are FULL OF BUGS, from minor to really big major flaws (samsung's fault)

I personally recommend and use the latest, most stable one:

I8000NXXIJC published by SORG (its official, not custom)

2) i don't recommend using samsung's autorotation much, mostly becuase its buggy, and it causes random hangs to my phone, besides i prefer having control over screen rotation.. i prefer setting a hard button like i explained in this thread and in various other users' posts..

If you still want so, you have to mess with registry :

One value for each auto-rotated app, you must write the application title (as displayed in task manager) numbered, 0, 1, 2, 3, ....

And another value for items count: 'COUNT' . (remember to include zero in count)

The lower this number, the higher is screen sensivity , try it for yourself to see which value meets your needs most

PD. Which mobile carrier do you use? do you have 3G? Unlimited data plan? How does it perform?

PD. Que empresa de celular usas? la tenes con 3G ? Plan ilimitado ? Comote anda?

Saludos

Guest marcelocarapa

1) Para ponerle el WM 6.5, tenes que actualizarle el firmware (con los equipos WM al firmware se lo llama 'ROM' ), a una versión de Samsung más reciente..

Olvidate de conseguir esa actualizacion directamente de Samsung por ahora, tu mejor opción es bajarla de este foro, de alguno de los dos que las proveen:

SECANY, (es el primer tema de este foro, en la parte superior), tiene 'contactos' dentro de samsung/microsoft y muy seguido va filtrando nuevas ROMS, desde octubre que ya son todas WM 6.5, las primeras eran 6.1 (como la de tu telefono ahora)

SORG, es el que supuestamente mas lejos llegó 'a fondo' del Omnia2, y publicó tambien aca ROMs con WM 6.5, obtenidas de equipos que vinieron con 6.5 de fabrica...

Hay muchas ROMs dando vuelta ya, y las ultimas vinieron con MUCHAS FALLAS....

Te recomiendo la mas estable para mi y que estoy usando ahora:

I8000NXXIJC de SORG

2) No te recomiendo mucho usar la autorotación (que es funcion de samsung, no de WM), pero si queres hacer eso, tenes que agregar valores en el registro, uno para cada aplicacion que queres que rote auto:

Va un valor por aplicacion, numeradas, 0, 1, 2, 3, ....

Y otro valor con la cantidad de aplicaciones listadas, COUNT (conta el cero)

Cuanto menor el numero de este valor, mas sensible es la pantalla... Proba y fijate

Saludos

Gracias Rodrigo. Tengo que aprender a utilizar primero WM y despues seguramente metere mano en los cambios sugeridos. Tengo Movistar ( sin 3g). Gracias de nuevo.

Thanks Rodrigo. I have to learn to use WM firts and then probably get my hands on the suggested changes.

Guest TheGoDxxxx
2) i don't recommend using samsung's autorotation much, mostly becuase its buggy, and it causes random hangs to my phone, besides i prefer having control over screen rotation.. i prefer setting a hard button like i explained in this thread and in various other users' posts..

If you still want so, you have to mess with registry :

One value for each auto-rotated app, you must write the application title (as displayed in task manager) numbered, 0, 1, 2, 3, ....

And another value for items count: 'COUNT' . (remember to include zero in count)

Can u give a example of the finished regkey, mabey via a screenshot? I am afraid I cant follow u here exactly.

BTW nice find, mate! Didnt even know there is an known way to use the Samsung AutoRotation directly.