6.5 Issues...Anyone have any?

Guest elite-fusion

Guest xdalover
As for xdalover...make sure that your restarts are SB (sleeping beauty) which are caused by WOWSRS if its not installed properly, your phone will keep freezing up requiring you to do a soft reset, or it will randomly restart on its own.

Thank you for your reply but It's not SB (unfortunately I'm an expert in Sleeping Beauty issue on my former Flame). Not , SB means that the phone doesn't start, it remains slept forever. Instead, the unexpected reset means that you switch off the TG01, and suddenly (usually in few seconds) it resets itself and switch on automatically. The main problem is that as you need to introduce the PIN code (SIM), you can be miscommunicate and you don't know it, so you can miss an important call phone.

As a roundabout, does anybody know a way to automatically insert the PIN? (As SPB backup does after programmed backup). I know what are you thinking...not, I can't disable de PIN because my SIM card is a double SIM with two different phone numbers: private and work and PIN is used to decide which one I'm going to use....

Thanks again!

Edited by xdalover

Guest Medved77
Sprite Backup is not compatible with WM6.5. It can backup but restores often fail and crash the device.

Spb Backup is almost fully compatible- the only thing that doesn't work properly is individual file restoring.

I'm currently using sprite backup - Good job you told me it's not compatible, will have another look at SPB backup however last time it was rather picky at the files it restored. Are there any other alternatives out there?

Guest StanYau

I have an Orange branded TG01, and have just flash upgraded to the WM6.5 ROM from Toshiba's European web site.

I upgraded the phone three days ago, and have already had two major issues...

1. The phone has hard reset itself twice. I can't recall precisely, but I think on both occasions it was because I put the phone in and out of sleep mode too quickly. The OLD Windows Mobile unlock screen appears (so not the new slide-lock of WM6.5) but is unresponsive. After a soft reset, the system is obviously rebooting, wiping the MicroSD card, and re-installs both WM6.5 and the Orange CAB customisations. Really annoying!

2. Notification noises don't appear to work properly in sleep mode. Depending on what notification sound plays when an e-mail or SMS comes in, part or all of the sound is cut off and does not play properly. Also - I can't get Reminders to play sounds at all in Sleep mode, which is *really* annoying.

My impression is that this WM6.5 ROM image is still fairly buggy - the phone has definitely crashed a few times as well...

Anyone else seeing these issues?

Guest Neil5459
I'm currently using sprite backup - Good job you told me it's not compatible, will have another look at SPB backup however last time it was rather picky at the files it restored. Are there any other alternatives out there?

Have you looked at Resco Backup ? I've no idea if it is fully WM6.5 compliant though.

Spb Backup is actually very stable; the only thing that sometimes causes restore problems is the SMS Inbox, but as far as I know that's been fixed in the recent builds.

Guest Neil5459
I have an Orange branded TG01, and have just flash upgraded to the WM6.5 ROM from Toshiba's European web site.

I upgraded the phone three days ago, and have already had two major issues...

1. The phone has hard reset itself twice. I can't recall precisely, but I think on both occasions it was because I put the phone in and out of sleep mode too quickly. The OLD Windows Mobile unlock screen appears (so not the new slide-lock of WM6.5) but is unresponsive. After a soft reset, the system is obviously rebooting, wiping the MicroSD card, and re-installs both WM6.5 and the Orange CAB customisations. Really annoying!

2. Notification noises don't appear to work properly in sleep mode. Depending on what notification sound plays when an e-mail or SMS comes in, part or all of the sound is cut off and does not play properly. Also - I can't get Reminders to play sounds at all in Sleep mode, which is *really* annoying.

My impression is that this WM6.5 ROM image is still fairly buggy - the phone has definitely crashed a few times as well...

Anyone else seeing these issues?

I've not personally seen those issues. You mention 'wiping the microSD card- do you mean it deletes all your user data from the card?

I suspect you may have had a dodgy ROM flash. It might be worth trying it again. Make sure the ROM update files are the only things on the card when you flash it.

Guest StanYau

Yeah - the MicroSD card was completely wiped, and actually had to be formatted on the PC again before it was usable...!

After the second reset, I was worried about the ROM image and have re-flashed again. Can confirm that the two files were the only things on a newly formatted MicroSD card (had to be newly formatted, thanks to the phone rendering it unusable).

It's been less than 24 hours since I've done this, but so far the phone has not done another hard reset yet. However, the sound/reminder issue remains, and it still does crash in normal usage...

Guest Medved77
Have you looked at Resco Backup ? I've no idea if it is fully WM6.5 compliant though.

Spb Backup is actually very stable; the only thing that sometimes causes restore problems is the SMS Inbox, but as far as I know that's been fixed in the recent builds.

Ok, SPB Backup completed without errors, must of tried an older version before.

Guest Medved77
Another issue - I can't make a new file in miscrosoft word, I just get the message "An error occurred. The document could not be opened." Can someone please check if this is the case with their mobile running WM6.5?

Sorry to bump this but still can't get word to work. Maybe i'm missing a .dot file somewhere or is it a bug in all versions of WM6.5?

Guest Neil5459
Sorry to bump this but still can't get word to work. Maybe i'm missing a .dot file somewhere or is it a bug in all versions of WM6.5?

No problems here- I can open Word then see my file list. I can select Menu/Options and select any of a number of templates in the 'default template' dropdown, and they all correctly open a new document.

Can you open File Explorer, then go Menu/Show All. Now go to My Device/My Documents and look in the Templates folder to see which files are in there. This is a hidden folder so 'Show All' needs to be selected in File Explorer, or Options/Browser needs to be set to Show Hidden in Resco Explorer.

I can upload my templates folder if you need it.

Guest Neil5459
It's been less than 24 hours since I've done this, but so far the phone has not done another hard reset yet. However, the sound/reminder issue remains, and it still does crash in normal usage...

What other programs do you have installed? I don't see any of these issues- my TG01 has been very stable since the latest ROM update (more so than with the leaked version, though some of those problems I saw were definitely software clashes). Quite a lot of current programs are not fully WM6.5 compliant yet.

Guest StanYau
What other programs do you have installed? I don't see any of these issues- my TG01 has been very stable since the latest ROM update (more so than with the leaked version, though some of those problems I saw were definitely software clashes). Quite a lot of current programs are not fully WM6.5 compliant yet.

Not much - I've been careful to make sure that I've only installed applications from the Windows Marketplace - so I'd assume that they all work with WM6.5...

Installed apps are:

Microsoft Bing

Microsoft Live (the latest 10.9 version, released on 15 Oct)

Microsoft My Phone

Microsoft Tag

Microsoft Windows Marketplace

I don't think any of these apps were running at the time of crash, though...

Weird one - I'm going to keep an eye on the phone and will report back with any further issues/resets. I'm also going to try to get to the bottom of why reminders don't play sounds - is anyone else seeing this issue?

Guest Medved77
No problems here- I can open Word then see my file list. I can select Menu/Options and select any of a number of templates in the 'default template' dropdown, and they all correctly open a new document.

Can you open File Explorer, then go Menu/Show All. Now go to My Device/My Documents and look in the Templates folder to see which files are in there. This is a hidden folder so 'Show All' needs to be selected in File Explorer, or Options/Browser needs to be set to Show Hidden in Resco Explorer.

I can upload my templates folder if you need it.

Thanks Neil, turns out I don't have any templates, must of stupidly deleted that folder at some stage. Would you mind uploading your templates folder?

Guest Neil5459

New problem seen today: Using Internet Explorer, text typed into 'input' boxes on forum pages doesn't display until I do a carriage return. Has been in either orientatiion, using Toshiba or TouchPal keyboards and even after a soft reset.

Anyone else seen this?

New problem seen today: Using Internet Explorer, text typed into 'input' boxes on forum pages doesn't display until I do a carriage return. Has been in either orientatiion, using Toshiba or TouchPal keyboards and even after a soft reset.

Anyone else seen this?

yup, cursor flashes below box and no characters show :s

Guest mayteks

has anyone tried to upgrade included SPB Mobile Shell 3.0.1 to 3.5? Because I did it and now it says it is not registered anymore and I have 15 days left, although 3.x upgrades are free. Any suggestions how to make it registered? (without cracking or buying a licence of course :) ). I didn't get any answer on that @spbclub.

Also - in SPB MS 3.5 there should be some fancy 3D effects, which don't show up on TG01, maybe someone solved that too?

Edited by mayteks

Guest duffdemon
has anyone tried to upgrade included SPB Mobile Shell 3.0.1 to 3.5? Because I did it and now it says it is not registered anymore and I have 15 days left, although 3.x upgrades are free. Any suggestions how to make it registered? (without cracking or buying a licence of course :) ). I didn't get any answer on that @spbclub.

Also - in SPB MS 3.5 there should be some fancy 3D effects, which don't show up on TG01, maybe someone solved that too?

Have you tried reentering the serial? I have had this on one occasion but before I upgraded to 6.5. I am having a different issue on 6.5 and SPB MS though. Every few days the phone slows down and I have to uninstall mobile shell and then reinstall. This is quite difficult because the phone slows right down becoming very unresponsive and not even soft reset clears the problem. Once MS is uninstalled the phone goes back to normal.

If by fancy 3D effects you just mean just the 3D carousel then this is known to not work on the TG01. The 3D email and text work though, you just need to enable them.

Guest mayteks

2 duffdemon:

I don't have any serial, because SPB MS is included in WM 6.5 and all I can see on the MS Info screen is it's version number and that it is "REGISTERED" (I've already made a global rollback in WM, so that I don't have to do it in 15 days, in case there won't be any solution)

Guest Neil5459
2 duffdemon:

I don't have any serial, because SPB MS is included in WM 6.5 and all I can see on the MS Info screen is it's version number and that it is "REGISTERED" (I've already made a global rollback in WM, so that I don't have to do it in 15 days, in case there won't be any solution)

Which region are you in? Most builds of the Toshiba TG01 don't include Mobile Shell, though some of the publicity stuff mentioned it.

As MS3 is cooked into your ROM, you are unlikely to be able to upgrade to the new version, as you haven't technically purchased the old one. It may be worth a message to Spb Support asking if they will provide an update for you; I'd also ask your supplier why they are installing an old version of the program.

Guest xdalover
Which region are you in? Most builds of the Toshiba TG01 don't include Mobile Shell, though some of the publicity stuff mentioned it.

According to the flag , mayteks seems to be from Germany. Does it mean that the German build has SPB mobile shell inside????

Edited by xdalover

Guest StanYau
Not much - I've been careful to make sure that I've only installed applications from the Windows Marketplace - so I'd assume that they all work with WM6.5...

Installed apps are:

Microsoft Bing

Microsoft Live (the latest 10.9 version, released on 15 Oct)

Microsoft My Phone

Microsoft Tag

Microsoft Windows Marketplace

I don't think any of these apps were running at the time of crash, though...

Weird one - I'm going to keep an eye on the phone and will report back with any further issues/resets. I'm also going to try to get to the bottom of why reminders don't play sounds - is anyone else seeing this issue?

OK - the phone did a complete reset again, which is somewhat frustrating! Again - the old WM6.1 password lock screen came up (where you enter your PIN). No key presses were recognised, and phone could not be powered off in the traditional method. After pulling the battery out and putting it back in, the phone proceeded to reboot completely, with all data lost.

I'm calling Orange in the morning as this phone is less than a week old, so it may be down to bad luck with the hardware or something...

Guest StanYau

Anyone else seen this?

Yep - I have witnessed this problem also. In fact, when doing any heavy browsing, I notice that sometimes it does not refresh pages correctly unless you rotate the screen (which forces a refresh), then rotate it back.

So - two major IE issues that I've encountered so far...

Guest Neil5459
OK - the phone did a complete reset again, which is somewhat frustrating! Again - the old WM6.1 password lock screen came up (where you enter your PIN). No key presses were recognised, and phone could not be powered off in the traditional method. After pulling the battery out and putting it back in, the phone proceeded to reboot completely, with all data lost.

I'm calling Orange in the morning as this phone is less than a week old, so it may be down to bad luck with the hardware or something...

Yes- definitely sounds like a hardware issue- maybe a duff RAM chip?