To apply an update this way you need:
- Windows (I used XP)
- Samsung PC Suite installed (install from your CD in box or grab from here
- Odin + the Orion ops file (grab that here)
- The update you wish to apply (the latest at the time of writing is XXII5, which you can grab from here)
To update your device, follow the following steps:
- Put your device in download mode. Power if off, then press volume down, OK and end call all at once. Hold them and you will get a big 'downloading' graphic on the screen.
- Plug the device into your PC
- Run "Odin Multi Downloader v3.95.exe" from the file you downloaded above
- Ensure the boxes marked 'One Package', 'Reboot' and 'Protect OPS' are checked (as shown below(
- Click the button that says 'OPS' and browse to the Orion.ops file you downloaded above
- Click the button that says 'One Package' (the button near the bottom, not the checkbox) and browse to the update file (the TAR file)
- Your setup should look like the screenshot below. If so, click 'Start'!
- Sit back and wait
Your device will reset when done. You should consider doing a 'restore factory defaults' after an Odin update if you experience any issues.