Greetings and a newbie help question

Guest mrreck

Hi folks,

very new here and similarly new to modding phones, so thought i'd start with a greeting - Hello :) and a question.

I've got the omnia from vodafone bought it almost a year back, and have tried a few things like wininterface to make the phone more touch friendly and nicer to use.

While i do like wininterface i always have to use the normal operating system for things, and so have arrived here in search of a much better touch friendly operating system.

The two newbie concerns i have are that i'll screw my phone up, or not be able to use programs i need.

Those programs are syncing with outlook and my pc (vista and xp dual boot machine if that makes a difference?) a good music player that i can scrobble with and make playlists, a basic gtd app called thinking rock mobile, and one note to capture notes with and sync them to my pc...oh and browsing the net as touch friendly as possible....i'd really like not to use the stylus anymore!

Could anyone advise me on if replacing the operating system 6.1 with something like the very nice loooking 6.5 or even the new titanium 7 ones would a be ok to put on my omnia in order to make it a lot nicer and more touch friendly, :( if theres a simple step by step guide for people who've never done it before, and c) if i can use and install the above (and other) programs in the same way i can with the current install of 6.1.

As long as i backup my contacts with outlook i can wipe everything from the phone, but just want to make sure before i try.

Many thanks for your website, and any help you can give.

Marc

Just found a post in answer to one of the queries if anyones in a similar boat. Think this is the easiest how to guide for flashing the rom - http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-general...00-omnia-phone/ not sure why i missed that one :)

Assuming that the programs like the thinking rock will work, so may give it a go. Seems its a bit of a 50/50 chance it'll work from reading some more posts, so not sure if to but if i find somone with a similar version (PDA : i900XXHJ6/ACHJ2 / PHONE : I900BUHJ1) then i guess its a safer bet.

Hi folks,

very new here and similarly new to modding phones, so thought i'd start with a greeting - Hello :( and a question.

I've got the omnia from vodafone bought it almost a year back, and have tried a few things like wininterface to make the phone more touch friendly and nicer to use.

While i do like wininterface i always have to use the normal operating system for things, and so have arrived here in search of a much better touch friendly operating system.

The two newbie concerns i have are that i'll screw my phone up, or not be able to use programs i need.

Those programs are syncing with outlook and my pc (vista and xp dual boot machine if that makes a difference?) a good music player that i can scrobble with and make playlists, a basic gtd app called thinking rock mobile, and one note to capture notes with and sync them to my pc...oh and browsing the net as touch friendly as possible....i'd really like not to use the stylus anymore!

Could anyone advise me on if replacing the operating system 6.1 with something like the very nice loooking 6.5 or even the new titanium 7 ones would a be ok to put on my omnia in order to make it a lot nicer and more touch friendly, ;) if theres a simple step by step guide for people who've never done it before, and c) if i can use and install the above (and other) programs in the same way i can with the current install of 6.1.

As long as i backup my contacts with outlook i can wipe everything from the phone, but just want to make sure before i try.

Many thanks for your website, and any help you can give.

Marc

Right to partly answer my own question and bring up some new ones I spent til 4am this morn trying to work it..

For any new users, more reading has bought up that the basic premise is flashing the rom is pretty much the same as when you go to the samsung mobile site to update, but i think a common point is that its easier to use xp to flash cooked roms, than vista, but with vista there are workarounds. Also one of the posts which i cant find again now suggested upgrading your phone to the latest supported updates via samsung website before flashing the cooked/unsupported rom.

None of this is coming from someone who knows btw, just what ive pieced together, so if an experienced user could confirm, that would be cool.

So i looked for a mod that looked good on here and found this one by Sector - http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-general...ad/#entry978359

I noticed its had DXIA in the title so assumed that this is the supported one i need, so i did a search and found this on the forum - http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-general...m-achj2/#entry0

which suggested to first update the rom to DXHK3 first (to be safe) by following this

"Go here, and update to DXHJ1

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-r...re-version-fix/

Then update to DXHK3.

After you got HK3, it is safe now to upgrade to DXIA1."

I couldnt find the HK3 (anyone?) and now the latest one on the samsung website (by selecting the singapore country) is DZIA5.

Not sure if this is compatible with the 6.5 upgrade above, and not sure if its safe to jump to the latest one if i change first to DXHK3??

So the question im stuck on now is do i need to update the firmware in order to flash one of the 6.5 roms...Some of them say you need a certain rom, or recommended to have the latest which is what led me to believe this, and if so how do i get to that stage so i can get to the stage of flashing sector's 6.5 rom.

Does it make a difference / is it necessary to update uk vodafone achj2 to the latest singapore firmware before applying a cooked rom update like that one?

I'll post this on the actual thread too, but hoping it might save people who are new some time.

Just found a post in answer to one of the queries if anyones in a similar boat. Think this is the easiest how to guide for flashing the rom - http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-general...00-omnia-phone/ not sure why i missed that one :)

Assuming that the programs like the thinking rock will work, so may give it a go. Seems its a bit of a 50/50 chance it'll work from reading some more posts, so not sure if to but if i find somone with a similar version (PDA : i900XXHJ6/ACHJ2 / PHONE : I900BUHJ1) then i guess its a safer bet.

Right last post otherwise i'll be accused of talking to myself :) This goes out to all the new people here that may have a similar experience as me. I had a substandard rom uk vodafone omnia and basically found this site (again) because i wanted to flash the rom...After hours of reading posts looking at which ones will work, what has gone wrong, and all the how to guides im pleased to say i've managed it all with no problems. First flashing the rom from this forum to update the achj2 to a newer one, was easy via xp, and sectors guide (in the posts above) and then adding sectors 6.5 update, also above, was just as easy.

So basically i just wanted to wrap up my own post, and pass on that if you've just got here, there looks like theres plenty to learn but generally things have all been asked and answered many times over, especially the noob questions that we all worry about cus of the big red disclaimers...and while the search didnt bring up results straight away ...refine and look a bit more and you'll prob find what you need. That all sounds a bit basic, but hope thats useful in some way cus i;ve been reading so much now and its almost light!

Got the omnia i always wanted tho, so has been worth it. Wish you the best for yours too. Pz

Guest awarner (MVP)

Glad to hear you managed to sort out your problems, sometimes it may be easier to post in the specific device section, especially where ROMs are concerned.

Anyway welcome to the site :) hope your future problems get sorted with a bit more help :(

Cheers mate :)

Did post in rom thread as well btw...its a busy one though and it was a newbie question in comparison :( good learning experience tho

Glad to hear you managed to sort out your problems, sometimes it may be easier to post in the specific device section, especially where ROMs are concerned.

Anyway welcome to the site ;) hope your future problems get sorted with a bit more help ;)

• 1 year later...
Guest Vickyl

Anyway welcome to the site ;) hope your future problems get sorted with a bit more help :P

Can Anyone tell me what to do next please. I have omnia i900: PDA -i900DXHH1/DXHH1 and phone - i900XXHG5 and is running WM6.1 pro. I want to upgrade to WM6.5. I have done everything that could have been directed on this forum all to no avail.

First, I installed samsung modem for vista and then WMDC. I downloaded ROMs: i900DXIDI and it did not work. I downloaded DXIA5, it did not work. I followed all the procedure highlighted for vista, yet it did not work.

Now the problem is that USDL GrandPrix after loading the various part cannot see the phone. I restart the phone, the same thing. When you put off the phone to restart, it will sense that the phone is not available and reports same. When the phone is on, WMDC confirms same, the process (upgrading) does not run. Im so sick of this. Any thing undone?

I will appreciate your promp reply