Requesting Mentorship

Guest KaozLabs

Guest KaozLabs

To all the expert chefs out there,

I went through BGILL55's howto create custom i910 roms on omniarom.com and I loved it. I used Adrynalines Kitchen he had posted in the tutorial and it seriously got me hooked on this. I have cooked up 3 roms tonite for my phone and my wifes and I am pretty happy with the results but not completly satisfied. I would like to know if I am using the latest Kitchen builds and whatnot and I would also like to start cooking roms for other users. I am asking for a little mentoring in some of the cool techniques..starting from the CF03 ROM and going from there instead of the one BGILL55 already had premade so to speak. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to know it all. I have been in PC's and software for many years and this is something new for me to sponge in. So far I have tried almost all the ROMS on this site and they are awesome...each has it's own cool thing to offer. There are some features I really liked on some but not so much on others. I would like to learn how to implement Kinetic scrolling and whatnot. There is also an HTC keyboard I would like to know how to cook in. So far I have a good grasp on creating OEM install software but I would like to start from scratch with the leaked version so I can decide what I want to pull out for myself and my wife. From there I would like to expand and start cookin for everyone and maybe bring some new blood into the kitchen.

I am available by any messenger available if anyone wants to chat. Just shoot me a message and let me know your screennames wherever.

Thank you all in advance. Some peeps I would definitely like to speak with are BGILL55 since his example was the one I used, BlazingWolf and Wozzer for sure.

KaozLabs (Chef in Training I Hope)

Guest blazingwolf
To all the expert chefs out there,

I went through BGILL55's howto create custom i910 roms on omniarom.com and I loved it. I used Adrynalines Kitchen he had posted in the tutorial and it seriously got me hooked on this. I have cooked up 3 roms tonite for my phone and my wifes and I am pretty happy with the results but not completly satisfied. I would like to know if I am using the latest Kitchen builds and whatnot and I would also like to start cooking roms for other users. I am asking for a little mentoring in some of the cool techniques..starting from the CF03 ROM and going from there instead of the one BGILL55 already had premade so to speak. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to know it all. I have been in PC's and software for many years and this is something new for me to sponge in. So far I have tried almost all the ROMS on this site and they are awesome...each has it's own cool thing to offer. There are some features I really liked on some but not so much on others. I would like to learn how to implement Kinetic scrolling and whatnot. There is also an HTC keyboard I would like to know how to cook in. So far I have a good grasp on creating OEM install software but I would like to start from scratch with the leaked version so I can decide what I want to pull out for myself and my wife. From there I would like to expand and start cookin for everyone and maybe bring some new blood into the kitchen.

I am available by any messenger available if anyone wants to chat. Just shoot me a message and let me know your screennames wherever.

Thank you all in advance. Some peeps I would definitely like to speak with are BGILL55 since his example was the one I used, BlazingWolf and Wozzer for sure.

KaozLabs (Chef in Training I Hope)

You can always ask questions here. Then all benefit from the info. :)

Guest dmcnado
You can always ask questions here. Then all benefit from the info. :)

+1 There are many aspiring cooks out here trying to learn! Thnx.

I have cooked in Adrynalyne's kitchen first, and now Wozzer's kitchen. I'm approaching 10 roms cooked w/ high level of success. Now trying to deal w/ more complex stuff such as getting modules to 0 in slot 0, OEM vs EXT, editing dlls, themes, etc., but it's slow going!

Guest KaozLabs

I guess asking questions here would be a good spot to do so as well.

I have downloaded the CF03 bin file that you would normally restore an Omnia with(the one linked in the 1st time Flashing tutorial)...

I have downloaded Adrynalins kitchen that was the 23008 version and updated it to 23016 i believe. I am not sure if this is the newest or best kitchen to use however. That kitchen was also preloaded with a stock xip.bin that BGILL or Adrynalin put in there.

Maybe I should list out some of my expectations or needs...

I want to take a basic CF03 and strip out most of the VZW bloatware (there are a few things I want to keep that I kind of liked)

I would like to be able to do the custom slider menu on the HomeScreen(similar to the one in BGILLs new Neo Alpha 55 rom

I would also like to figure out how to organize the settings screen into "folders"...I am kinda anal about where things belong...maybe OCD is a better word. But for me i like having all my utilities/programs/etc grouped with similar items

I am pretty decent in PS CS4 / Illustrator / Firworks, I make my living as a graphic designer and web developer so I would like to know how to create custom startup/shutdown screens as well as where I can place custom icons/buttons/etc

I have access to my own FTP server for people to use who can help. I dont mind hosting other peeps kitchens or roms for storage as I have plenty of space on my home server

This entire process really intrigues me. I have always been the type to want way more out of a piece of hardware than what I should and I dont like settling for half-assed such as the VZW stock release.

I guess my first questions would be whether or not I have the newest Kitchen, Do I have the right CF03 file, and where would I begin to look for other tools needed in this process. I have the OEM package builder already btw.

Thanks

KaozLabs

Guest WoZZeR999

If you want to start cooking, the easiest way is to think about the kind of rom you want to create first.

If you are getting good at making oems, try making OEM's out of stuff in the OEMApps. Use the Initflashfiles.dat in OEMLang to try to sort out different packages and figure out what everything does. Maybe try taking out the Samsung stuff and making it an OEM so that you can have a much cleaner/customizable kitchen.

You may want to learn more about EXT packages. Bepe is working on a new visual kitchen that will make use of OEM's and EXTs. EXT's will overwrite anything in OEM/SYS.

Some other pointers, when deleting files out of folders (SYS or OEM), make sure you delete any references to it out of ProvXML's, initflashfiles and DSM's.

There's lots of quick and dirty roms that work, but I recommend going about things correctly and doing thing things the 'proper' way. It takes a lot more effort, but you end up with a better rom.

Guest KaozLabs

Thanks for the info Wozzer...

From flashing the newest roms that have been released by you guys I have a really good idea of exactly what I want in the rom... software wise that is. There is 1 particular keyboard that I really like (looks like fingerboard, but not fingerboard...i think htc keyboard?) The application scrollpane on the left of the homescreen where your apps scroll up and down is awesome...that is actually a required feature for my wife haha. I made my first ROM last night from the tutorial and she hates it so I have to go back stock until I have one working with the other homescreen. The kinetic scrolling feature is awesome so I gotta get that to work.(I guess it is the kinetic scrolling one...very similar to the iphones scrolling screen functionality.) There are alot of Samsung apps I wanna keep that she and I both liked...the other VZW stuff is garbage to me. I dont care about radio and whatnot.

I guess i need to figure out how to get the CF03 converted into a SYS/ROM/OEM kitchen type setup and then go through and take out the pieces I don't want? I have the CF03.bin file used to restore the stock 6.1 with the vzw update. Just not sure how to strip that bin file into the folders. Any suggestions what to read to start?

EDIT*

The only experience I have with making OEM's is going the BGILLs tutorial. I used a amazeGps.cab file and converted it to an OEM using the packagebuilder tool he posted. Was hella neat I thought. As far as how to do it with just a collection of files I am not sure.

Use the Initflashfiles.dat in OEMLang to try to sort out different packages and figure out what everything does. - Clueless as to what this means...

try making OEM's out of stuff in the OEMApps... - Not sure where I get these..I have figured out how to strip CF03 yet, or am I under the wrong impression that is what I start with?

Edited by KaozLabs

Guest KaozLabs

Pinned: Ultralite 23071, MegAmnia 21869 and Kitchen(23071/21869). pages_icon.gif 123» 32i910 Specific Omnia ROM discussionWoZZeR99963935,437Today, 11:15

Last post by: necosinof_hot_no.giff_pinned.gifrating_5_mini.gif Pinned: WoZZeR's PlatformReBuilder Based Kitchen (23064)Pinned: Ultralite 23071, MegAmnia 21869 and Kitchen(23071/21869). pages_icon.gif 123» 32i910 Specific Omnia ROM discussionWoZZeR99963935,437Today, 11:15

Last post by: necosinof_hot_no.giff_pinned.gifrating_5_mini.gif Pinned: WoZZeR's PlatformReBuilder Based Kitchen (23064)I know its gonna sound kinda stupid...but you have alot of posts...can I get a link? I think I have narrowed it down to 2 possible ones...1 is the Ultralite Pinned thread that has Kitchen in the title. Can't remember the other right offhand.

You said it is the stock CF03 VZW? all the apps are there? And not to sound stupid but I dont understand how that works..It is a WM6.1 stock image and we are producing WM6.5 roms? Easy explanation or long one? I know I want my rom to be 6.5

EDIT* sorry I have no idea where any of those links came from. Didnt realize this forum would do that.

Edited by KaozLabs

Guest dmcnado

@KaozLabs

To help clear some confusion, there are 2 diff things being referred to here:

(1) the CF03 bin file that you are talking about (the one attached to the first time flashing tutorial), and

(2) the CF03 stock verizon OEM package

The first one you just set aside and only use if you need to restore to "official" rom (like if you need to return your phone & don't want Verizon to know you've been flashing cooked stuff).

The second one is what you need to cook with. It's the one where you can remove things you don't want (like the bloatware). This file is in Wozzer's 2nd post (the kitchen post). To start, you can extract these & take a look to familiarize yourself w/ what's in the stock OEM.

If you've been playing around in Adrynalyne's kitchen, note that he had an OEM directory w/ LOTS of diff folders. What's in the extracted stock OEM is basically what you find in the OEMApps, OEMDrivers, OEMMISC, OEM_Lang_0409 folders (the main folders in OEM). Adrynalyne added additional folders for programs (in OEM form) that he wanted to cook into his roms (thus the word "customized"). For example, he included a folder for Advanced Config. That's not in the stock OEM and not everyone wants that in their roms.

So you begin to customize your rom by (1) Deleting unwanted bloatware, etc., from the stock OEM, and (2) adding extra stuff you want (such as Advance Config, fingerkeyboard, etc.). See what you think...

You haven't even gotten to SYS & ROM yet!

Edited by dmcnado

Guest utdsoccer18

im very interested in the topic..... the wall i'm running into is how to properly take out apps in the oemapps folder.... i know about the initflashfiles and the dsm and the rgu.... but i dont exactly know the procedure or tools needed to do so. an example would help immensely

Guest blazingwolf
im very interested in the topic..... the wall i'm running into is how to properly take out apps in the oemapps folder.... i know about the initflashfiles and the dsm and the rgu.... but i dont exactly know the procedure or tools needed to do so. an example would help immensely

The files in the OEMapps can be removed but some are necessary to keep the phone running correctly so play carefully.

RGU files can be edited with a text editor like notepad. I'm currently using Notepad++.

dsm files need a special app to edit them. One such program is DSMAnalyzer. I have attached it here. :)

DSMAnalyzer_1.9.zip

Guest KaozLabs

Thankss BW I have downloaded the file and added it to my list of needed apps. I am dloading Wozzers new kitchen now so I can begin experimenting with that. I am on messenger if anyone wants to chat with me. [email protected]

EDIT* Im looking on Wozzers kitchen page and it says 23071 is latest SYS/XIP...but there is also a 23420...how is 23071 newer than 23420? I dont understand the math in that.

Edited by KaozLabs

Guest blazingwolf
Thankss BW I have downloaded the file and added it to my list of needed apps. I am dloading Wozzers new kitchen now so I can begin experimenting with that. I am on messenger if anyone wants to chat with me. [email protected]

EDIT* Im looking on Wozzers kitchen page and it says 23071 is latest SYS/XIP...but there is also a 23420...how is 23071 newer than 23420? I dont understand the math in that.

Build numbers don't mean everything. There are different branches of ROMs that we get. 23071 is from com 3 while 23420 is from com 4. Com 4 is a bit behind right now so the newest build is 23071.

Guest jlc0005

I think the 234xx series is from a different branch of WM 6.5 releases than the 230xx. So the numbers alone (between the two series) don't indicate a date difference.

From what I understand, the COM3 branch is supposedly more stable.

EDIT - Like BW said above.

Edited by jlc0005

Guest KaozLabs

thanks for clarifying that . I have all wozzers kitchen stuff dloaded now. Gonna try to reassemble the pieces hehe

EDIT*

Okay so I got all the files put back in the kitchen. copied over the OEM folder after I deleted the programs I did not want. Created the ROM...failed miserably. the rom copied but got stuck on the loading screen. Gonna attempt again shortly

EDIT*

Attempt #2 was another wonderful fail. This time I just extracted the files into the kitchen. I didn't edit or delete any files in OEM...just moved them. I copied the 23071 SYS/XIP files in to their respective places and ran the clear file attributes file. ran recmod and enable xpr and then ran the buildrom prog. Rom was moved to the update folder and named pda.bin. I renamed to FLASH.try2.bin and used UMDL to flash. It copied ok then as it rebooted it got stuck again. Not sure where I am going wrong.

Also I looked all through these files for the dat file that gives the dependency list...nothing doing..cant find it anywhere. Gettin late gonna try again tomorrow.

Edited by KaozLabs

I'm keeping my eye on this thread also, as I am in the same boat. I have all the kitchen components, and even produced a couple of ROM images just to see that I could do it. Now I also am going through the OEMApps folder to get rid of the stuff I don't want (mostly all the Verizon apps).

Wozzer, you mentioned previously about putting most (if not all) of the OEMApps stuff into OEM files (which I have done successfully)... Are you saying that it would be easier to manage it if almost EVERYTHING in OEMApps (the Verizon stuff from CF03) so that basically OEMApps is empty and everything is an OEM and in separate folders (in the main OEM folder)? Or only keep the basic stuff in OEMApps and move most (if not all) of the apps (such as Opera, FM Radio, etc) into OEM files?

I am understanding more and more of this stuff; the only thing that keeps bugging me is exactly what I need in OEMApps in order to get a phone that works... There is a lot of files in OEMApps and figuring out which ones are needed and which can be tossed is the hard part.

/Chimp (Tom)

Hey I'll through out one more question, which I think I know the answer to but will ask anyway:

Is there any kind of emulator out there that would run on a desktop device (Windows) and allow you to 'test' flash a ROM? It seems it would be a lot easier to test out various iterations of our ROMs if we could do so without constantly wiping out our 'production' ROM on our phone.

I am figuring the answer to this is no, but thought I would ask anyway.

P.S. Didn't I see somewhere there was a Samsung Omnia emulator or something? Or am I smokin' crack? :)

/Chimp (Tom)

Guest ChrisColumbus

I want to start cooking my own roms too but I read the article.. downloaded like 100000 things and Im still lost.. I extract the CF03 and the XIP folder disappears I dont know what Im doing wrong.. Is anyone using windows 7??

Guest utdsoccer18

someone correct me if im wrong, but i'm pretty sure all you need from CF03 is the OEM folder. XIP should come from the build you use. that is if you're using wozzer's kitchen