Omnia 2: Tweaks, Flash Guide, Suggested Programs, FAQ

Guest tacchan23

Guest Rothariger
Not that I know... sadly .smi subs doesn't display on TV :D

and any other movie player with subtitles have really bad performance :P

ok, thanks.

i was thinking that maybe with wm 6.5 it displays the subs...

its a shame...

Guest awarner (MVP)
Sorry I'm not very expert about GPS... not even sure if AGPS and XTRA is the same thing or not^^

You can disable the XTRA download or make it manually or only on Active Sync at Samsung Settings - General Settings - GPS - XTRA

Sorry if it's not what you were looking for^^

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately they are not the same thing as far as I am aware, XTRA is an application you can run from time to time to update the system on where it should expect to find the satalites when the GPS is used. AGPS uses network to assist in triangulation of your position.

Got back home earlier... luckly becouse it was some really sh***y kind of trip^^

The gps today was working not so good... it's really random.

Also with BaudRate: 38400 wasn't working at all for me... maybe it depends on which BaudRate is used on the first fix after a soft reset? no idea really^^

this is the setting i've been using ever since i900 and it's been working flawlesly, no matter what area im in, i always get GSP locked on within no more than 30 sec. might wanna try to hardreset then set it this way right after.

Guest vodanhdaisu

How can i prevent the phone automatically connects internet whenever i suddenly click on update weather, opera.. ? It charged me a lot of waste money :D

Guest tacchan23
How can i prevent the phone automatically connects internet whenever i suddenly click on update weather, opera.. ? It charged me a lot of waste money :D

You have to install some programs which stops your data connection such as "NoData" or "ConnManager" or "NoData in Roamining"

Guest fahim-mac

hi,nice tweaks :P .u hav given the info how to incrase volume in omnia 2(for speker,headphone, etc). the volume gets loud.bt the quality becomes very poor. so,can u give us a new tweak how to increae the volume without decresing the quality of sound? :D

Guest tacchan23

I started my list of suggested programs, I'll try to complete it in some days and keep it updated with new releases.

Suggested programs review by category

Here I'll try to list some, in my opinion, usefull programs (both shareware and freeware).

For every category, in Bold text are my preferred choices; in non-bold text are some more programs which it may be worth considering in a future updated version or are in need of further testing.

Please suggest me any more usefull programs to add to the list.

- System

NET_FrameWork_v3.5.cab

HTCSensorSDK.zip (by GinKage): Emulates HTC's G-Sensor API on i8000, that is used in a number of applications, and in many games.

Auto-Rotate screen applications: applications to auto-rotate screen in any application of your choice

- System Utilities

SKtools: Simply too many features to list for system maintenance and system tweaking. Registry Editor included.

Just some interesting system&phone tweaks:

disable/enable Samsung Dialer - TuneUp/Phone Edition/OEM Dialer skin

problem with caller id - TuneUp/Phone Edition/Call ID match

sms sent notification (only work after disabling Samsung SMS application) - TuneUp/Phone Edition/Do not show "Message sent" bubble

TuneUp/Security/Disable warning when installing non-certified applications

TuneUp/Other/PowerOff-PowerOn sound

Other usefull functions:

Cleaning cache and free RAM memory

Uninstaller

Registry Explorer

Move Installed programs changing the shortcuts to the new values

Manage startup programs

Manage Contacts and PIM

MemMaid: Better user-friendly interface then SKtools but less features.

SASHIMI (Freeware): a must have for ONLY people who like to Flash their ROM very very often, make reinstalling every programs much faster! (you must register to download it from the link). You can find a guide here

SK Shortcut Manager: it helps manage/edit/create your shortcut and change icons (useful but not essential, here and here 2 guides to creating shortcuts manually or you can use Resco Explorer too). Mostly useful if you want to change icons (which may not really be needed anymore on WM 6.5)

Tweaks2k2: collection of many registry hacks (not really recommended, the freeware Advanced Configuration Tools listed below can do about the same)

Pocket Mechanic Professional: maintenance utility (not really recommended, less powerfull than SKtools and many users reported data loss)

Custom Colors: you can change the colors on your Pocket PC (not much that SKtools can’t do too)

SpeedBooster: it allows you to focus the CPU power to various programs running on your device (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET)

PPC Configurator (Freeware): This tool will configure your Phone not to see some of the SIP Programs you dont often use (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET)

The following is a list of freeware programs which may be useful to replace some shareware utilities (mostly SKtools):

Advanced Configuration Tools Allows you to easily modify more than 200 settings for Windows Mobile system and applications.

Settings+ v0.2 : sms threaded option, WM colors and fonts settings

Tonality: tweak the various hidden sound events deep within the registry

PHM Registry Editor A registry editor if you don't have Sktools or Resco Explorer (never tested myself but I read it's good)

- System Data Utilities

SPB Backup: Many features to make and restore backup of datas and installed programs.

Sprite Backup: should be on par with SPB Backup, but simply never tried it.

Raise Data Recovery: data recovery of lost information (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET

CardRecovery: data recovery of lost information (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET)

RAR 3.90 for Pocket PC (freeware) (no need if you use Resco Explorer or Total Commander)

7-Zip_9.05_alpha.CAB (freeware)

Edited by tacchan23

Guest tacchan23

- Encyclopaedia/Wikipedia

Wikipedia in Mdict (mdx) format update on May 2009 (Freeware): The entire English wikipedia in your Omnia2. The file itself is 2.7 GB. Dumped on May 28 2009. Also there are Wikipedia version of other languages. No data connection needed, all the file in your storage card. Personally I find it very useful.

Upvise Wikipedia (Freeware): download instantly the entire Wikipedia article specially formatted for mobile device. It’s obviously more up to date but need a data connection. (personally not tested it because I prefer to have everything on my storage card but for people with data plan I guess it’s better)

The Wikipedia Encyclopedia for TomeRaider3 updated on May 2008: it’s older and not free… but it may be worth checking for future updates.

AbsoluteWord RoadLingua Geographical Atlas: Geographical Atlas with information about country location, population, economy, and military, map and flag. Didn’t try it and it’s a bit expensive^^ but still I decided to put it in my list of “maybe useful in the future” programs

Guest Faidz Jalil

Hello there,

I'm new here and a new user of WinMo. I tried to do Threaded SMS Input Space tweak but I can't seem to find the file you stated.

I am running IJ6 from secany. Appreciate any help =)

Guest tacchan23
Hello there,

I'm new here and a new user of WinMo. I tried to do Threaded SMS Input Space tweak but I can't seem to find the file you stated.

I am running IJ6 from secany. Appreciate any help =)

Hello,

it is a hidden system rom file. So you need to use a more powerfull file explorer program such as Resco file esplorer or Total commander (and enable to show hidden and system files)

Maybe the defoult file explorers have such an option too... not really sure I never used them.

Edited by tacchan23

Guest tacchan23

- eBook readers

AllReader Plus: really the best eBook reader by far! So many option and features. Only downside is it doesn’t support PDF files so you’ll need also another reader if you don’t want to convert your pdf files first to txt.

RepliGo: it’s good for reading pdf files with a lot of images (otherwise difficult to convert properly to txt) but personally I’d use the already installed and free Adobe Reader 2.5 LE (or 2.0)

uBook: can read many formats and seems to be good with documents that have images in them, like PDF; very bad interface. (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET)

Foxit Reader: another reader for PDF, I read some positive comments (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET)

PocketXpdf (freeware): a viewer for native PDF files (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET)

Guest tacchan23

- Office/Productivity

SoftMaker Office 2008: This is best software for office compatible on WM, lot better than Microsoft's Office Mobile itself to open Microsoft Office files without data loss

uConvert: units and currency converter with a built-in calculator (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET)

Scan2Pdf Mobile: uses your mobile phone to scan documents and convert them to PDF files, it may be useful

Jetcet Print: lets you print documents, photos, email, etc from your Windows Mobile Pocket PC phone. (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET)

Below a list of CAD applications which I’ll be testing next year when I’ll go back to my real job of Civil Engineer L

Omni Data Shape CAD (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET)

ProCad. CAD for PocketPC (Freeware) (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET)

ShortCAD Lite (Freeware) (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET)

BlitzCAD v24.9.8.1 (Freeware) (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET)

Edited by tacchan23

Guest Faidz Jalil

Thanks a lot for your reply. I managed to edit the file but then, I don't see any difference. I even restarted the phone.

Do you have any screen capture comparing before and after applying the tweak?

Guest tacchan23
Thanks a lot for your reply. I managed to edit the file but then, I don't see any difference. I even restarted the phone.

Do you have any screen capture comparing before and after applying the tweak?

Did you disable the Samsung SMS application first? it only works with tmail.exe

Guest bobobird
AGPS uses network to assist in triangulation of your position.

The "network" is actually the cell towers that are in your vicinity. This info is always available to your phone and does not require any extra network data. That is how emergency services are able to approximate your location.

Install google maps and without using data or gps, it will show your approximate location. If cell tower locations were not broadcast there is no way for google maps to do that.

That is my basic understanding of how this works. I dont have a data plan and use gps extensively and have never rec'd any bills.

These 2 articles may be of some use

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/gps_vs_a...k_tutorial.html

http://journal.zenyee.com/2008/04/19/agps-...s-myth-or-fact/

Guest tacchan23
No, I'm using the default Samsung's apps and I just apply some minor tweaks. Nothing is disabled.

So it's not working. It only modify the Threaded SMS Input Space in the WinMo sms program (tmail.exe), it doesn't effect Samsung Sms program

Guest lastethica

guys, if you have a contact book wich consist more than one number, how to select the 2nd or 3rd number to sms from the sms menu?

i know that we could open the contact number and hold on to the number we desire than a menu will pop up asking waht you want to do with it.

but if you want to add the 2nd or 3rd number directly from sms menu (add recipient) it only display the first number.

how to select the other number then?

thx.

Guest tacchan23
guys, if you have a contact book wich consist more than one number, how to select the 2nd or 3rd number to sms from the sms menu?

i know that we could open the contact number and hold on to the number we desire than a menu will pop up asking waht you want to do with it.

but if you want to add the 2nd or 3rd number directly from sms menu (add recipient) it only display the first number.

thx.

From what I read before, I could understand (maybe I am wrong) with WinMo you can send SMS only to the "Mobile tel" number of your contacts (no work or home tel)... too bad in a Contact there is just one Mobile tel field.

thx.

I do not know if I understand you right, but i think that i can select other numbers on the sms by tapping the the word "TO:" then selecting the name then selecting the numbers that i want to send sms to.

post-9237-1256615185_thumb.jpg

Edited by ronny

Guest tacchan23
I do not know if I understand you right, but i think that i can select other numbers on the sms by tapping the the word "TO:" then selecting the name then selecting the numbers that i want to send sms to.

Mmm, it doesn't seem to work (or I'm doing something wrong) with the Samsung SMS application. Maybe it works only with the WM tmail

Guest mightymouse1045
Mmm, it doesn't seem to work (or I'm doing something wrong) with the Samsung SMS application. Maybe it works only with the WM tmail

i have tried this with jinbox and tmail and both work - just click TO: then select the name and it gives you an option to choose which number to send to

Guest darkworldzz

erm.. simple qns.. am i able to disable the wm6.5 lock screen?? i wna use S2U2 but the wm lock screen is still there so i kind of have to 'unlock' twice...

thx in advance..

Guest tacchan23
erm.. simple qns.. am i able to disable the wm6.5 lock screen?? i wna use S2U2 but the wm lock screen is still there so i kind of have to 'unlock' twice...

thx in advance..

Samsung Setting - Disaply and Light - Lock Screen - Turn off the option