Nokia suing Apple over the iPhone

Guest tsutton

Guest tsutton
thumb_23-Oct-2009__46506673_iphone3gs_3up.jpg
Nokia suing Apple over the iPhone

Oh dear, someone is upset with Apple. Nokia is suing Apple for infringing patents on mobile phone technology for the popular iPhone device. Basically, Nokia is saying that Apple had not signed an agreement to use their technology.

Nokia, the world's biggest mobile phone maker, has said that it is suing its US rival Apple for infringing patents on mobile phone technology for the iPhone.

Nokia said it had not been compensated for its technology, and accused Apple of "trying to get a free ride on the back of Nokia's innovation".

The 10 alleged patent infringements involve wireless data, speech coding, security and encryption.

Apple, which did not comment on the news, saw its shares dip slightly.

The breaches applied to all models of the iPhone since its launch in 2007, Nokia added.

I think, like big companies out there, they will settle with an agreement, with large sums of money being handed over before it ever goes to the court...

[Via: BBC News Business]

Guest awarner (MVP)

One report I read yesterday claimed that Nokia was going to ask for 2% of all sales.

It's one way to get some money after the poor sales this year but aparently this has been going on for some time.

I was reading the iPhone blog the other day on this topic and it showed me how blinded Americans (or maybe Apple fans?) are by the iPhone, with people claiming that Nokia were just patent trolling (Apple never does this?) and making patents and just sitting on them.

I just don't think that they're aware that some phones had similar abilities (but not in such a pretty package) before the iPhone, e.g. these patents being related to wifi, UMTS and integration of devices, and the N95 being a 3G device with wifi and GPS that was released before the original 2G non-GPS iPhone.

Someone also claimed that Nokia were jealous because Apple sells more phones than them! Not correct by a long long way, although Apple make much bigger profits on each of their phones which I'm sure Nokia envy.

I hope that Nokia get the money they deserve from this, Apple have to realise that they're not above the law despite their popularity.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.