Bugs you would like Samsung to fix

Guest bobobird

Seems rom improvements are not doing much bug fixing (or are introducing new ones along the way).

Lets list here what needs to be done and hopefully Secany can relay them to the dummies that SS employs ? (or hope hope Samsung reads these forums).

Will start off with a few

- Return the 6.1 lockscreen to 6.5.

- Fix the lockscreen from changing the default wallpaper (normally first page in touchwiz) if the wallpaper of another panel is changed. After a poweroff, the first panel wallpaper will then change to whichever other panel's wallpaper that was earlier changed.

- Make TouchPlayer scan only user defined directories

- Same for Photo Viewer

- Fix the relatively slow fix times for the GPS. The i900 was much much better at this.

- Let users choose the keyboard skin they would like to use (some prefer the old one, some the new one).

- Photo/video filenames should be in data-time format

- Widgets should have "lock to position" and "snap to grid" options to prevent them sliding around all over the place and also help with alignment with other widgets (no wonder so many people dont like the widgets).

We like to customise but we also like to see the incosistencies removed.

Chime in with your suggestions.

Member suggestions

- Wifi settings not remembered

- Directional controls on keyboard

- On the Samsung keyboard, if you tap and hold any key, the letter will change to the number/symbol on that key. Other Keyboards use faster input method than the one made by Samsung, such as tap and slide (up) to type symbols/number.

- Able to add additional mobile numbers to the same contact

- Able to add an additional customize field to a contact eg Home address, Office Address or anything

- Able to have different mobile and SMS numbers. This is practical if we travel, SMS back to home country need a "+" sign in front of the number which now is impossible since it is tag as the same number as the mobile number. Current method to differentiate this is the ancient old phone technology method of making different contacts name for the same contact but with different numbers eg John1, John2, John3 for the same john.

- Ability to individually change vibrate or different ring tone for individual areas not just an overall system.

- Address in contacts seems truncated. Should be fully viewable.

- Missed SMS or missed call need a beep reminder or some reminder lighting.

- Able to do a full or individual backup to the storage or main memory. Internet backup maybe a problem if no connection.

- WM6.5 titanium always defaults to the upper pictures row, instead of the clock row.

- Noise cancellation in video recorder is missing or not properly implemented. Recorded videos all have a distinct hiss and/or whistle in the audio.

- Provide an option in the Samsung messaging app to disable the notification message every time a message is sent (without users having to resort to registry hacking and/or disabling Samsung messaging app).

- 12-keyboard and in Greek language, the greek letter ζ is missing, so you cannot type some words. In 20-keyboard and in qwerty kbrd , it is OK.

- Turning off all sound notifications has no effects on the widgets which will beep when touched. This is quite annoying.

- Email attachments are not initially downloaded with the message (even if complete download has been set). And the downloaded images or attachments are not renamed to reflect the actual links in the message. Therefore nothing happens if a link in a email message is clicked. Seems to work properly after sometime but really such an important function should be instant.

- all hardware buttons should be re-assignable.

- All apps/Utilities should be rotation aware. Eg if watching a movies in landscapte and a phone call comes in, the phone message is still in the default portrait orientation.

- Autofocus is not working in video recording.

- Video recording in low light conditions is very poor. The i900 was much better in this respect.

- Camera - in the i900, auto meant auto everything. That is no special photo taking setting was required to take pictures (or videos) in widely varying lighting condition. In the i8000 this very useful point-and-shoot capability is either disabled or not implemented.

- Samsung keyboard always fails to save user id and password for websites that require a login. But the standard keyboard does. But the keys are small as to make this method almost useless due to constant wrong input and correction etc.

Cheers

Edited by bobobird

Guest awarner (MVP)

1, no problem with the lock screen for me? what is the difference between the old 6.1 ROM?

2 & 3 Agree

As for me two main gripes,

The Samsung WiFi app does not remember settings for my home network so every soft reset I need to reenter the settings.

If you access the actual MS settings screen for WiFi then entering it there it does remember it.

And the other issue for me is the samsung keyboard just needs to have directional controls as the device has no D pad

Guest tacchan23
1, no problem with the lock screen for me? what is the difference between the old 6.1 ROM?

2 & 3 Agree

As for me two main gripes,

The Samsung WiFi app does not remember settings for my home network so every soft reset I need to reenter the settings.

If you access the actual MS settings screen for WiFi then entering it there it does remember it.

And the other issue for me is the samsung keyboard just needs to have directional controls as the device has no D pad

Wasn't the WiFi issue of not remembering settings alrady fixed in some newer ROM? (not sure anyway, I don't have access to any wifi atm)

And of course Samsung should add directional controls to its keyboard!!! Also I think that the way to press and hold a key to use the seconday simbol/number is not very pratical

Guest bobobird

Never had the wifi not remembering issue either on 6.1 and now on 6.5

actually i connect to couple of places and they are all remembered.

Yes, agree the directional control is essential. Crossing out everything to correct a spell error is a pain in the butt.

About the 6.1 lockescreen, it can be customised unlike the 6.5 one, ie wallpaper can be different from those used on the startpages etc.

I will add suggestions as they are made to the opening post so we have a complete list.

@tacchan23

Dont understand the hold for symbol issue. I just press the symbol key and the 1/7 page shows up.

Edited by bobobird

Guest tacchan23
@tacchan23

Dont understand the hold for symbol issue. I just press the symbol key and the 1/7 page shows up.

If you tap and hold any key, the letter will change to the number/symbol on that key.

Other Keyboards use faster input method than the one made by Samsung, such as tap and slide (up) to type symbols/number.

Guest Coolsurfer

Hope Samsung can fix basic phone functions.

1) Able to add additional mobile numbers to the same contact

2) Able to add an additional customize field to a contact eg Home address, Office Address or anything

and most important

3) Able to have different mobile and SMS numbers. This is practical as if we travel, SMS back to home country need a "+" sign in front of the number which now is impossible since it is tag as the same number as the mobile number. Current method to differentiate this is the ancient old phone technology method of making different contacts name for the same contact but with different numbers eg John1, John2, John3 for the same john.

4) Able to be able to individually opt to change vibrate or different ring tone for individual areas not just an overall system.

5) Address in contacts seems trancated. Should be fully viewable.

6) Missed SMS or missed call need a beep reminder or some reminder lighting.

7) Able to do a full or individual backup to the storage or main memory. Internet backup maybe a problem if no connection.

Guest bobobird

Coolsurfer - excellent suggestions.

About 7 - the most important one that needs backup is the phonebook. Try the PimBackup freeware utility, its very good. Saves even the photos etc.

Guest awarner (MVP)

2) Able to add an additional customize field to a contact eg Home address, Office Address or anything

and most important

3) Able to have different mobile and SMS numbers. This is practical as if we travel, SMS back to home country need a "+" sign in front of the number which now is impossible since it is tag as the same number as the mobile number. Current method to differentiate this is the ancient old phone technology method of making different contacts name for the same contact but with different numbers eg John1, John2, John3 for the same john

4) Able to be able to individually opt to change vibrate or different ring tone for individual areas not just an overall system.

All the above are MS issues and not Samsung

7) Able to do a full or individual backup to the storage or main memory. Internet backup maybe a problem if no connection.

From memory I thought "6" had an app or way of doing this a long time ago

as for "7" MS My Phone application does this over the internet or for a general backup application there is Sprite Backup.

Guest bobobird

I have added one more item - not really a fix thing but more an enhancement.

Photo/video filenames should be in data-time format, similar to the Pako fix for the i900.

Guest Coolsurfer
Coolsurfer - excellent suggestions.

About 7 - the most important one that needs backup is the phonebook. Try the PimBackup freeware utility, its very good. Saves even the photos etc.

Thanks! Will try the PimBackup freeware. I don't have Outlook to syn to as i am using OpenOffice so this will be fantastic esp when i go down to do firmware and 6.5 (Better to wait for 7 ?) upgrade.

Cheers!

Guest silencer22

and most important

3) Able to have different mobile and SMS numbers. This is practical as if we travel, SMS back to home country need a "+" sign in front of the number which now is impossible since it is tag as the same number as the mobile number. Current method to differentiate this is the ancient old phone technology method of making different contacts name for the same contact but with different numbers eg John1, John2, John3 for the same john.

for item 1 to 3, are u trying to store the contacts in the sim card? simcard address book does not allow u to store more than a number per contacct.

otherwise the res of the fields u mentioned are all there.

samsung bundles NPC, which could backup ur phonebook, calendar, sms, and some files

Edited by silencer22

Guest tRAILeRZ

Not something most would find important but - dial-up over cellular support would be nice.. still works on HTCs.

And also the mentioned directional keyboard keys.

Guest Coolsurfer
for item 1 to 3, are u trying to store the contacts in the sim card? simcard address book does not allow u to store more than a number per contacct.

otherwise the res of the fields u mentioned are all there.

samsung bundles NPC, which could backup ur phonebook, calendar, sms, and some files

Nope. Try it. I wan't referring to storing contacts to SIM card.

Try adding a few mobile numbers to the Outlook Contact in the phone. No alternate/more mobile numbers fields exist.

Save a sample mobile number not to the Sim.

The number is automatically your SMS number. Change 1 you change the other even if you add a +.

Try adding a "+" or or budget code in front of your mobile or sms number. Eg mobile 15218529xxxxxx. Your sms is automatically the same. So SMS is now unusuable. Now try to edit the SMS to do without the 1521 for instance.

Actually initially when i had the phone somehow even the country code popped up automatically to the tel numbers. Then the mobile number has a country code to the sms as well and while you probable can send. No one received the sms.

Edited by Coolsurfer

Good idea , but be careful to not call UI enhancements you would like "bugs". Especially where enhancements for you can be crippling things for others.

Some real technical bugs which are still unresolved (latest tested is IJD):

-whistling noise in audio of a recorded video.

-directshow video capture when screen is in landscape mode is rotated wrongly and stretched. Worked only on IJ1, not before that and not anymore after that.

-Starting a 720x480 video capture with SHCameraCapture does not work, records at 640x480 instead. Very annoying for app-makers as you can not get the most out of a perfectly great device.

- WM6.5 titanium always defaults to the upper pictures row , instead of the clock row. This is unique among all WM6.5 implementations, so this would count as a bug i guess:-) And bugs at least me a lot...

Guest bobobird

Luci

As consumers it is not for us to judge what is a bug, an enhancement or other things. Most of what has so far been listed is for either a fix or an ehancement (eg variable contacts could be called an enhacement, whereas not remembering wifi connection settings a bug).

Anyway, will post your 4th point to the top list. That is really annoying. Bugs me too hehe

Regarding the other 3 - I have tried 1 and recorded something with no background noise and yes there is a hiss in the played back vid. Could be a bug but not sure. But it could be that the noise cancellation on the camera is not properly implemented or is absent.

Points 2 and 3 - I dont quite understand, could you please elaborate ?

Thanks.

Edited by bobobird

Luci

As consumers it is not for us to judge what is a bug, an enhancement or other things. Most of what has so far been listed is for either a fix or an ehancement (eg variable contacts could be called an enhacement, whereas not remembering wifi connection settings a bug).

Anyway, will post your 4th point to the top list. That is really annoying. Bugs me too hehe

Regarding the other 3 - I have tried 1 and recorded something with no background noise and yes there is a hiss in the played back vid. Could be a bug, not sure as same happens with some higher end camcorders that I have tried before. Maybe others could look at this ??

Points 2 and 3 - I dont quite understand, could you please elaborate ?

Thanks.

actually, i'm also a developer who solves bugs on our own software/devices and does tech support, so i spend some time during the day trying to judge bugs :-) Was just a well meant advice.

Anyway, on 1: There's a whistling tone, not a hiss. I can't explain why i think it is a bug without getting too technical, but it's disturbing in all video's and should be entirely unnecessary. Samsung uses AAC coding for audio in video which should really NOT have this kind of tone when implemented good.

2. Video capture outside the Samsung Camera app, but using Directshow to record video, and then when the screen is landscape ( wide ), then this doesn't work.

3. This is a Windows Mobile feature in where any application can say , "i want you to record a video with this and that resolution ". This still doesn't work for 720x480, confirmed by Samsung Mobile Innovator site.

Guest bobobird

I used to develop too but that was a long time ago. And debugging is a hell of a tiresome (but very interesting) part of the process.

Regarding the "whistle" will test some more though my ears maybe not experiencing the frequencies.

Cant really test the directshow bit but will include that in the big list.

Will recheck the size issue in the morning.

BTW - could others please help out on these ???

Thanks

Guest dgmorland
Seems rom improvements are not doing much bug fixing (or are introducing new ones along the way).

Lets list here what needs to be done and hopefully Secany can relay them to the dummies that SS employs ? (or hope hope Samsung reads these forums).

Probably more of a feature request than a bug but it is something that many people find annoying ...

- Provide an option in the Samsung messaging app to disable the notification message every time a message is sent (without users having to resort to registry hacking and/or disabling Samsung messaging app).