Sorry! The application Messages (process com.android.mms) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. Force close.

Guest L0ngshanks

Guest L0ngshanks

Something funny going on with my shiny new HTC Hero (or G2 as my operator likes to call it).

I upgraded to the latest ROM as it was a 2.73 version rather than the 1.76 it came with. I don't think it was anything to do with the ROM wipe as that was a week ago and it's been working OK. Now when I go into Compose, and I tap in the To: field I think something, like and index or something, is corrupt. I say this as if I start typing in 'b..e....' as if I'm trying to get a lookup on Ben, it works fine. The problem, and granted it's a weird one, is if I try looking up contacts that start with 'w...i'. Whenever I try and lookup my contact Will, within the compose of the SMS app I get the above error.

Any ideas? Is there some cache somewhere I can wipe without having to do a Factory Reset?

I have the exact same issue with the Messages application after upgrading from the shipped T-Mobile 1.76.110.6 ROM to the T-Mobile 2.73.110.26-rooted. When I enter two characters into the To field, the app crashes with the force-close error you described. But with certain combination of characters it does manage to auto-complete okay and not crash.

Guest L0ngshanks

I guess there's no solution then if it's a bug. If you're getting it and I'm getting it then it's not likely to be any corrupt data on my device (which was my first thought). I can get around it by finding the contact in contacts first and then messaging from there, rather than the contact look-up via the compose message screen, but it's annoying!

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I had the exact same problem. I think that some database entries have been corrupted, and when they are part of the search result the Messages application crashes.

What I did to solve the problem was:

1) In gmail:

Export all contacts to a Google CSV file on the PC

2) In gmail:

Delete all contacts

3) On phone:

Menu->Settings->Data synchronization->Google, check that Contacts box is checked, then

Menu->Sync now

4) On phone:

Check with People application that all Google contacts are gone

5) In gmail:

Import the Google CSV file from the PC

6) On phone:

Menu->Settings->Data synchronization->Google, check that the Contacts box is checked and then,

Menu->Sync now

7) On phone:

Check with People application that Goolge contacts are back

8) On phone:

Check with Messages application that it all works now.. :)

I'm having same problem with force close on Mesages as L0ngshanks. This seems to have started since installing the MoDaCo Rom on my HTC Hero. I've tried the solution as suggested by morrta but it hasn't worked for me.

If I do a Factory Reset do I have to re-install the new Rom etc afterwards?

Any other ideas on how to fix this?

Guest byakkotai
I'm having same problem with force close on Mesages as L0ngshanks. This seems to have started since installing the MoDaCo Rom on my HTC Hero. I've tried the solution as suggested by morrta but it hasn't worked for me.

If I do a Factory Reset do I have to re-install the new Rom etc afterwards?

Any other ideas on how to fix this?

I had the same problem (and still have when using 3.2B5) but it was fixed when I installed MCR 3.1. The problem also occurs every time I use SlideScreen's long press feature to go to the compose new message screen.

Guest shenshang

i found it doing that when i was deleting texts by accessing the mmssms.db but accidentally erased a timestamp on one of the texts. so your mmssms.db is probably corrupt.

the file is in /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/

Guest byakkotai
i found it doing that when i was deleting texts by accessing the mmssms.db but accidentally erased a timestamp on one of the texts. so your mmssms.db is probably corrupt.

the file is in /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/

Excuse my ignorance but how do I remedy this situation

Guest chucky.egg

I had the same issue just ONCE with a Custom Modaco 3.1 build from the kitchen.

I've not been able to repeat it since, but also have occassional FCs in Calendar too.

@byakkotai

I'd start with a Wipe

@Baffy

No, if you wipe the ROM is still there, you just lose your personal data (so backup first)

Guest byakkotai
I had the same issue just ONCE with a Custom Modaco 3.1 build from the kitchen.

I've not been able to repeat it since, but also have occassional FCs in Calendar too.

@byakkotai

I'd start with a Wipe

@Baffy

No, if you wipe the ROM is still there, you just lose your personal data (so backup first)

Wiped 3 times now and no change.

I have done the wipe and still get the force close error. I have also noticed that google maps has disappeared and I can't look up a location from the address book (probably because no longer have google maps!).

May try re-installing MCR3.1

I have to line in, in this row ...

I don´t know what it is, but after a while (after a phone call e.g.) my Hero starts to reboot itself (FC pointing to launcher and system) and it won´t stop rebooting.

I just done a several wipes (factory reset, dalvik). But no change of behaviour.

Edited by Phanes

Guest Mohammed Abdullah

Here the solution : settings>>>language and keyboard >>>>select locale>>>english United States

Edited by Mohammed Abdullah

• 7 months later...
Guest BrainManHFT
Here the solution : settings>>>language and keyboard >>>>select locale>>>english United States

Okay, this actually did work. Never expected it to, but it did help on my phone (LG GW620) where this application crashed as soon as I turned the phone on.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vamp6x6x6x

This did not work for my on my vibrant. I still get the error when I try to read the inbox message.

• 1 month later...
Guest wingnutLP

For what it is worth I had the same problem. Tried a bunch of things after having the same problem on my brand new desire z. Just before resigning to a hard reset I tried something I read here http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/ARCHIVED-Mes...-mms/m-p/180345

which was pulling the battery while the phone was ON after a restart everything was fine again.

I have idea why or how this would work but it did!

• 4 months later...
Guest Android Freak
For what it is worth I had the same problem. Tried a bunch of things after having the same problem on my brand new desire z. Just before resigning to a hard reset I tried something I read here http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/ARCHIVED-Mes...-mms/m-p/180345

which was pulling the battery while the phone was ON after a restart everything was fine again.

Thanks wingnutLP, it worked for my HTC Desire Z. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wives are like applications, have lots of bugs.

Edited by Android Freak

• 1 month later...
Guest zklw

I know this thread's a bit old (sorry admins) but I just wanted to say thanks to this guy. This also worked for my HTC Desire Z.