Samsung Omnia II GT-I8000

Albertri

Albertri

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Devices:GT-i8000, E63, ZN5

i only got 1 sentence for Sorg and i am pretty sure he can understand what the sentence means.

独乐乐不如众乐乐

used google and here's the direct translation : "The joy to celebrate together than alone"

bobobird

bobobird

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Devices:i900

"The joy to celebrate together than alone"

I will drink to that... bottoms up !!!!

tacchan23

tacchan23

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i8000 Omnia 2

I learned that you don't want to share your knowledge to public and won't ask for your contribution anymore.

That's quite sad... not wanting to share a finished product (ROM in this case) is totally acceptable, but I hoped Sorg could have shared some of his knowladge to other expert cookers :)

bluhound

bluhound

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Location:Where the grass is yellow and the sky is hazy... *cough*
  • Devices:Omnia II-Streak-NK6600-NK8310
OK, now that cooking instructions have been released. I managed to extract the data from the image.
I would like to start modding the OS (to be exact, removing OEM apps) but I can't seem to find any guides to start from.
There are a few but they are not detailed enough.
Can anybody point me to the right direction?

powser

powser

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

OK, now that cooking instructions have been released. I managed to extract the data from the image.
I would like to start modding the OS (to be exact, removing OEM apps) but I can't seem to find any guides to start from.
There are a few but they are not detailed enough.
Can anybody point me to the right direction?

Before you start modding anything, have you tried to see if you're able to recompile the unmodified files and flash it to phone?
I think it may be good to try that first, because there's no point in changing something to find out that you're unable to flash the changes later on :/

All the best to your endeavors!

powser

powser

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
In kingmobile forums someone has tried to modify some files in imgfs (not cooking) and recompiled and try to flash into octans, but octans gave PDA checksum fail.

I think they're trying to hex edit the checksum now. Hopefully some goodnews will come out of it.

bluhound

bluhound

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Location:Where the grass is yellow and the sky is hazy... *cough*
  • Devices:Omnia II-Streak-NK6600-NK8310

In kingmobile forums someone has tried to modify some files in imgfs (not cooking) and recompiled and try to flash into octans, but octans gave PDA checksum fail.

I think they're trying to hex edit the checksum now. Hopefully some goodnews will come out of it.

Cool. I guess I'll wait for the result then. Actually managed to extract the data (from this topic) 2 weeks ago but I have not the time to fully mess around with it....yet.
Right now my schedule's packed up.... :)

Wilson@China

Wilson@China

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
The latest news from Kingmobile, somebody had flashed the phone with "modified" ROM sucessfully after the correction of "checksum" error. And the phone can boot-up without any problem.

BTW, regarding the ROM cooking, I partially agree with Sorg's opinion. No matter how Samsung did, their intension is understandable. As a phone, the interface perfection must based on one basic point, i.e. it's stable, convenient to operate and responsive enough. I believe Samsung put more priority on the convenience improvement instead of responsive. So sometime, we encountered some issues. I think we have to admit that either Main Menu, or Widgetplus, it's much easier for single hand/finger operation compared with WM standard UI's performance. But how to balance the convenience and the responsive, it's up to everybody's choice. So I still expect a really simple cooking tool comes out.

PS: I think there two major concerns should be improved for the cooked rom, one is how to guarranty the responsive with enabling the Samsung beautiful interface. Another is how to improve the memory leakage, especially once the GWES.exe thread reaching 20MB, the whole system became very unstable even some application will have the rendering issue.

Edited by Wilson@China, 07 November 2009 - 02:56 PM.

jermx

jermx

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X x2
Was reading through the guide till the part using osnbtool. How to use osnbtool ? After opening the whole thing closes. Help required first time trying out "cooking". Thanks

Edit : found out how. thanks all

Edited by jermx, 07 November 2009 - 03:31 PM.

Kel-

Kel-

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Devices:Omnia 2 I8000

The latest news from Kingmobile, somebody had flashed the phone with "modified" ROM sucessfully after the correction of "checksum" error. And the phone can boot-up without any problem.

BTW, regarding the ROM cooking, I partially agree with Sorg's opinion. No matter how Samsung did, their intension is understandable. As a phone, the interface perfection must based on one basic point, i.e. it's stable, convenient to operate and responsive enough. I believe Samsung put more priority on the convenience improvement instead of responsive. So sometime, we encountered some issues. I think we have to admit that either Main Menu, or Widgetplus, it's much easier for single hand/finger operation compared with WM standard UI's performance. But how to balance the convenience and the responsive, it's up to everybody's choice. So I still expect a really simple cooking tool comes out.

PS: I think there two major concerns should be improved for the cooked rom, one is how to guarranty the responsive with enabling the Samsung beautiful interface. Another is how to improve the memory leakage, especially once the GWES.exe thread reaching 20MB, the whole system became very unstable even some application will have the rendering issue.

Agreed...best if the two major concerns be fixed and cookers used the already "cooked" rom that fixed these two problems...that would be perfect.

powser

powser

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
I prefer Khuanchai's approach.

I rather have a clean rom and choose what I want to install, than to be chuck faceful with 10000 things that slow me down.

Definitely some of the samsung things are nice, but honestly I don't think many ppl here like the widgets at all. Titanium/SPB is more well liked. I simple don't care for samsung SMS and their phone skin takes up 10 MB RAM but I have no choice but to use it since i need video call support.

Of course I like some of the samsung things like the.. uhhh.. Media Player i guess.

Wilson@China

Wilson@China

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
The further update by WeiSun from PDAClan:

How to change the nb0 file size.

Somebody may not know how to modify the MBR, and osnbtool will not support the ROM file size not in line with MBR, so it a must to fill the original pda.nb0.os.nb by 010edit (maybe any Hex editor? added by Wilson) to the size that osnbtool consider it's "leagle. The method is:
1、Open the original pda.nb0.os.nb,scroll down to the end of the file, remember the file size. Here is 0x13576800,as in below figure:
Posted Image http://www.pdaclan.c...15&noupdate=yes Posted Image OldSizeOSNB.jpg (13.7 KB)
2009-11-7 22:34

2、Use 010edit, choose Edit-->Set file size,fill-in contents 1B200000(This is the calculated correct value according to the MBR, it's OK to set even bigger value),other portion can fill as the below figure shows. Then save it.(Remark: If don't know the exact file size/length, can set as big as possible but must bigger than the actual value) The example shows the Chinese II1 version. The other version maybe similar but can be set bigger)

Posted Image http://www.pdaclan.c...15&noupdate=yes Posted Image fillFF.jpg (32.39 KB)
2009-11-7 22:34

3、Excute osnbtool -c pda.nb0.os.nb 2 imgfe.new (suppose file imgfe.new is the new file name after changing size), once finished, the new generated file pda.nb0.os.nb.new is there,since this pda.nb0.os.nb.new is generated by osnbtool,so the MBR should be the correct one.

4、Restore the file pda.nb0.os.nb.new back to "non-standard" size,re-open it by 010edit,re-set file size,can try the original file size,here is 0x13576800(don't fill "0x" in the input window),also can delete more "FF" in the file end to minimize the file size, but the final value must be devided by 0x1F800.

Then save it,modify .PRE,use copy/b + command to complie the file then can try to flash the phone.

PS: I just translate it, but I don't understand what's really behind. So there maybe some mistakes due to misunderstanding.

Edited by Wilson@China, 07 November 2009 - 03:41 PM.

tacchan23

tacchan23

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
Hope the new infos will be useful to some!
And on Kingmobile they are writing any "guide" on their succesful attempt? or it's the same as PDAClan?

powser

powser

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
*double post by accident*

Edited by powser, 07 November 2009 - 06:49 PM.

powser

powser

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Hope the new infos will be useful to some!
And on Kingmobile they are writing any "guide" on their succesful attempt? or it's the same as PDAClan?

There's no new guide. The test was started mainly to check whether WeiSun from PDAClan's instructions were working since no one has attempted it yet. Anyway the results are out, the flash was successful, but the jpg that was inserted into the imgfs.bin during the test cannot be opened nor copied, even though the file exists in the file system.

That doesn't sound good :)

tacchan23

tacchan23

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

There's no new guide. The test was started mainly to check whether WeiSun from PDAClan's instructions were working since no one has attempted it yet. Anyway the results are out, the flash was successful, but the jpg that was inserted into the imgfs.bin during the test cannot be opened nor copied, even though the file exists in the file system.

That doesn't sound good :D

At least they are trying! :D
And thanks for keeping us updated! :)

Baveto

Baveto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Devices:Omnia II

Hi guys,

1 more good new, Weisun and acwan from www.pdaclan.com has recompiled imgfsfromdump (think can support up to 1024MB based on the filename) due to existing imgfsfromdump canonly support up to 256MB.

Thanks for the file.
After create from dump folder, bin file have only 284 MB (dump folder size = 476 MB).
too much reduce size from dump folder. maybe this file not supported...??

Khuanchai

Khuanchai

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia

I don't think these can be done by a cooked ROM. It needs significant kernel changes by M$ or Samsung. What we can get from cooking ROM are to make it as lean as possible (by removing unnecessary files), to add in some useful utilities not included in the original ROM, and to modify some registries.

Thanks to friends who donated. Click here if you want to help. :)

jermx

jermx

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X x2
Hi does anyone know how to get .nb0 out of .mst ? Thanks. And also how to get .nb0 out of cubic37.mli. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users