A2SD not working?

Guest lemmingzappa

Guest lemmingzappa

I have modaco 2.9 with built-in A2SD running, with the latest radio and RA-Hero recovery image. I ran the partition program and converted to ext3 (I installed the RA image and ran the partition after already having modaco 2.9 installed on a different recovery image). I have now installed apps since first boot, but they aren't appearing on the SDcard. I can only assume this means A2SD isn't working ?

I am using the card that came with the hero if that makes any difference.

I have modaco 2.9 with built-in A2SD running, with the latest radio and RA-Hero recovery image. I ran the partition program and converted to ext3 (I installed the RA image and ran the partition after already having modaco 2.9 installed on a different recovery image). I have now installed apps since first boot, but they aren't appearing on the SDcard. I can only assume this means A2SD isn't working ?

I am using the card that came with the hero if that makes any difference.

you aware of the fact that the apps will NOT appear in the part of the sdcard where for example your pictures and music are stored?

Guest lemmingzappa

My internal memory seems to be going down when installing apps :D

It's currently at 112mb, i'm hoping there's a way to test A2SD as i'm still unsure if its doing anything.

issue the following command (you need adb set up and working on your pc!):

adb shell ls -l /data/app

the output should look like this:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 0        0              14 Nov  4 21:08 /data/app -> /system/sd/app

this mean that the folder /data/app is not really a folder, but a link pointing to your sdcard. /data/app/ is where apps are installed, and the phone doesn't care whether it is a folder in the internal memory or a link to the sdcard.

btw, is there any way to make these codeboxes smaller? there is only one line in it...

Guest lemmingzappa

Just did what agent-5 posted and my internal memory has shot up to 152mb. Not sure if that means everything is working now...but it seems to have done something !

EDIT: I didn't install the TA app though as lots of people on the market have reported big problems.

Edited by lemmingzappa

Try this:

Following must be executed from shell whilst phone is running in normal operation mode:

adb shell

su

busybox df -h

- (You should see /system/sd)

busybox cp -a /data/dalvik-cache /system/sd/

busybox cp -a /data/data system/sd/

exit

exit

- (REBOOT INTO RECOVERY ROM)

Following must be executed from Aman Ra or Cyanogen Recovery ROM

adb shell

mount data

rm -rf /data/data

ln -s /system/sd/data /data/data

rm -rf /data/dalvik-cache

ln -s /system/sd/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache

reboot

--------------------------------

Hi am getting abit confused here what do you mean by "Following must be executed from Aman Ra or Cyanogen Recovery ROM and how.

am a newbe is it the recovery boot by holding home+power if it is how do i get to input these commands

This will move the Davlik cache to your SD card. Also download the TA Utility from Market and move all of your other caches to the SD card.

Guest lemmingzappa

After installing CoPilot, my internal memory has now dropped to 146.

@mbba, once you are in the recovery menu and your phone is plugged in via usb, you can run those commands through an adb shell on your pc (there is a guide for setting up adb on the forum somewhere).

I did that with dalvik-cache and data dirs I saved about 50mb.

Now my phone is not so smooth than before so I'd like to go back.

How to do that ? ^^

Edited by kookix

A-DATA Turbo microSDHC 8GB, Class 6

It seems to be not so smooth only when opening lot of apps, before it was ok since the 2.9 ROM =)

Please explain how to go back. I will test both to be sure.

Edited by kookix

Guest lemmingzappa

Just to let you know I installed Amon RA and partitioned the card AFTER I installed MoDaCo 2.9, could this be my problem ?

If so, do I just need to re-flash MoDaCo from the recovery menu (i'm hoping I won't need to wipe or partition again) ?

Just to let you know I installed Amon RA and partitioned the card AFTER I installed MoDaCo 2.9, could this be my problem ?

If so, do I just need to re-flash MoDaCo from the recovery menu (i'm hoping I won't need to wipe or partition again) ?

you have two options, either continue to search for a solution or bite the apple and wipe, repartition your sdcard, and flash. then you have a "clean" install which works for sure.

Edited by kendon

OK. I just kill all apps running and test it again and again it's ok. don't know why it was so laggy...

I think I will install the Ra recovery instead of the Cyanogen one, it include the option to move dalvik-cache to SD without shell =) unfortunately not the data dir but what is inside ? If I upgrade to upper rom 2.9, use the option move d-cache to SD, what about content in the data dir ? lose them ? what happens ? I have to care about it? =P

Edited by kookix

@lemmingzappa

Like you when I install new apps my internal memory go down and I check the running of Apps2SD thanks to ubuntu mounting the ext3 partition and I can see all my apps. So I admit that it takes both internal memory and SD memory, am I wrong ? Or there is a problem ? I think I also format my SDcard after the installation of modaco rom =/