Did everyone give up???

Guest snapz54

Guest pwmcmaho
verizon-motorola-droid-press_1.jpg

Great screen ... crappy keyboard and terrible still camera... so I stick with my Omnia until either the Omnia II arrives (won't hold my breath) or the HTC HD2 ...

Guest chemicalanarchy
Great screen ... crappy keyboard and terrible still camera... so I stick with my Omnia until either the Omnia II arrives (won't hold my breath) or the HTC HD2 ...

Denial.png

Guest dopeness

first, i have left several questions in that lite thread and i never get an answer. none of the programs seem to work on my i910 except 2. i'd like to add more but no one seems to want to assist. no biggie.

I think that the novalty has worn off and that newer phones are appearing. Besides that you are going to get a crashing wave of Droid fans because of its visability and the was it has been marketed to the masses. the omnia had no such attention. i am glad that we have some great chefs here so that my experience with it has not been horrid.

Because samsung and verizon do such a crappy job with samsung product awareness the omnia will be my last samsung phone. I will be getting the htc hd2 when it comes to the states.

Edited by dopeness

Guest blazingwolf
BW! you got a Droid?? thought you were sticking with WinMo

Was planning to. Played with the phone in a store and I have been extremely impressed. Best call quality and sound of any phone I have ever had. Physical keyboard is better then I thought it would be. Screen is awesome and Android is better then I thought.

Verizon is actually providing better support for it also. A new update should be here in December with a second in January. They have never done that for Winmo.

That said, I'm still in my 30 day window. The Omnia 2 is rumored right now for Black Friday. I'll play with it and see which I like more. :)

Guest arirang
first, i have left several questions in that lite thread and i never get an answer. none of the programs seem to work on my i910 except 2. i'd like to add more but no one seems to want to assist. no biggie.

I think that the novalty has worn off and that newer phones are appearing. Besides that you are going to get a crashing wave of Droid fans because of its visability and the was it has been marketed to the masses. the omnia had no such attention. i am glad that we have some great chefs here so that my experience with it has not been horrid.

Because samsung and verizon do such a crappy job with samsung product awareness the omnia will be my last samsung phone. I will be getting the htc hd2 when it comes to the states.

PPC phone technology and roll-out are still in their nascency and VERY pricey. however, at the current rate, sooner than later economy of scale will make them more common and spur further innovation at an AFFORDABLE price. until then, the omnia will remain very relevant and i wont have to shell out $$$ by the time i qualify for an upgrade 2011--by then there will be a bigger bang for you buck :)

Edited by arirang

Was planning to. Played with the phone in a store and I have been extremely impressed. Best call quality and sound of any phone I have ever had. Physical keyboard is better then I thought it would be. Screen is awesome and Android is better then I thought.

Verizon is actually providing better support for it also. A new update should be here in December with a second in January. They have never done that for Winmo.

That said, I'm still in my 30 day window. The Omnia 2 is rumored right now for Black Friday. I'll play with it and see which I like more. :)

Thanks for the info Blazingwolf.

Looking forward for a high quality ROM as always fom a master.

Guest dopeness
PPC phone technology and roll-out are still in their nascency and VERY pricey. however, at the current rate, sooner than later economy of scale will make them more common and spur further innovation at an AFFORDABLE price. until then, the omnia will remain very relevant and i wont have to shell out $$ by the time i qualify for an upgrade 2011--by then there will be a bigger bang for you buck :D

As long as Bwolf and Evidence et al. keep cooking ROM's I am sticking with the omnia. The phone is a beast. It just never got any love from verizon. Do you know how many iPhoneites I amaze with this phone with capabilities that were ALREADY ENABLED at the opening of the box. :) The only thing it does not have is a good apps store and that - as usual - is on Samsung. I am not due to re-up until 2011 myself, but again, when that HD2 comes out - Verizon or where ever - I am ghost!

Guest TheDrizzle
Dude! .... same here.

I've been checking ebay, they're going for about $400ish, only like $50 off the Verizon full retail. I was thinking of trying to sweet talk the CS reps into letting me upgrade early, but I don't know how that will go down! I'll probably just be patient and wait it out, unless the price on ebay falls.

Guest blazingwolf
I've been checking ebay, they're going for about $400ish, only like $50 off the Verizon full retail. I was thinking of trying to sweet talk the CS reps into letting me upgrade early, but I don't know how that will go down! I'll probably just be patient and wait it out, unless the price on ebay falls.

On most contracts you can get the discount after one year with a $20 upgrade fee. You would not get the NE2 though.

It doesn't hurt to ask anyway.

Guest stuffman64

I tried the same to get a Droid, they said the best they could do is the one-year price (better than the full retail, but not good enough for my bank account)... this was even after I showed them that it'd still be cheaper for me to pay the ETF and switch to AT&T and get an iPhone.

My Omnia will do just fine for now, but I'm still looking forward to some new ROMs!

Guest disciplined

ya i also noticed the major slowdown less than one month ago. Constant work was being done with porting more and more stuff to the omnia and not to mention the fever pitch at which ROMS were being released. Suddenly in a span of a week or two things really dried up. I guess there is a limit to what can be done, though my omnia would serve me well for at least another year if I didn't have such a bad case of techno ADD.

Guest mmarcuse

I was all gung-ho on getting the Droid, but after reading comments on the Motorola support forum, I'm not sure I'm going to do it. I hear that it does a poor or no job of working with Exchange server (a must for my job), and tethering won't be available until next year, plus the battery life is crappy at best. Those could be dealbreakers for me. I would love to have a real keyboard, though, and the Google navigation app looks amazing. Verizon will let me upgrade in a month at the promotional price, so I think I will give it a try and send it back if I'm not convinced. I am not crazy about the Omnia, but I really like the integration with Exchange/Outlook, Internet Connection Sharing, and I'm actually pleased with the camera. I don't use it for music, media or games, so that's not much of a consideration at this point.

I think I will reflash my omnia with one of the newer 6.5 ROMs (I'm still on the stock CF03), play with it, then get the Droid and compare it before making a decision. The way I see it, in terms of raw capabilities, the Droid isn't much of a step up from the Omnia, and with a better UI, there may be hardly a point to get a Droid now. Who knows, it may be worth waiting another year for Google and Motorola to work out the kinks, and there may be more enticing phones then (logically, Apple should respond to Google with dual-mode CDMA/LTE iPhone with decent camera, pull out keyboard, etc. - maybe overly optimistic?).

Guest blazingwolf
I was all gung-ho on getting the Droid, but after reading comments on the Motorola support forum, I'm not sure I'm going to do it. I hear that it does a poor or no job of working with Exchange server (a must for my job), and tethering won't be available until next year, plus the battery life is crappy at best. Those could be dealbreakers for me. I would love to have a real keyboard, though, and the Google navigation app looks amazing. Verizon will let me upgrade in a month at the promotional price, so I think I will give it a try and send it back if I'm not convinced. I am not crazy about the Omnia, but I really like the integration with Exchange/Outlook, Internet Connection Sharing, and I'm actually pleased with the camera. I don't use it for music, media or games, so that's not much of a consideration at this point.

I think I will reflash my omnia with one of the newer 6.5 ROMs (I'm still on the stock CF03), play with it, then get the Droid and compare it before making a decision. The way I see it, in terms of raw capabilities, the Droid isn't much of a step up from the Omnia, and with a better UI, there may be hardly a point to get a Droid now. Who knows, it may be worth waiting another year for Google and Motorola to work out the kinks, and there may be more enticing phones then (logically, Apple should respond to Google with dual-mode CDMA/LTE iPhone with decent camera, pull out keyboard, etc. - maybe overly optimistic?).

Works with my Exchange server just fine. Email, Calendar and Contacts.

You can tether now with PDANet. There are also some directions that can get tethering working without it and not rooting your device. Verizon will officially support tethering next year for $30.

Battery life for me has been just fine.