Initial Queries / Niggles

Guest Simon Desser

Guest Simon Desser

After a few hours of playing there's a lot of good things about the HD2 but a few little niggles and queries :)

1) Where's all my memory??? For such a beast there's a very small amount of memory assigned to storage! Program memory is large with 183mb free (out of 336??!!) but storage memory has 181mb to start with, and after installing a handfull of apps internally, I now have 65mb free storage (and I haven't even got started yet!!!)

2) Where the hell do I put my "owner name"?? I've loads of apps that need the owner name to enter the serial code but I can't for the life of me find the option to enter it??!! I've got round it by creating a new reg key in the control panel with my owner name :D (I'm probably being thick!!??)

3) The camera's focus seems hit and miss, sometimes it focuses no problem, and other times it doesn't focus, even though you put the focus marks over the subject??!!! :D

4) Music playback turns off when you press the standby key, so you can't turn the screen off or lock the keys (unless you use an app like "Device Lock" or "Mortsaver"

5) I've already run in to numerous programs and settings where it's a nightmare trying to input data using fingers, and of course a stylus isn't an option so I'm screwed :D

6) I too have encountered a fair bit of lag on the keyboard, as well as numerous wrong letters pressed, plus there's only one input method out of the box :D

Guest paullong

1) memory - I know! Going from an Omnia to this, I miss My Storage!. Oh well, will have to get a 32Gb microSD

2) "owner name" - There is a reg hack fix for this. Try googling for it.

3) The camera's focus - Haven't come accross this yet.

4) Music playback turns off when you press the standby key, - Mine is fine

Guest Simon Desser
One input method out of the box? You have QWERTY, 20 key and 12 key...?

P

Oops you're right :)

I was looking at the "Input" methods in Personnal settingswhich just shows one, but the other options show up when you press the little arrow on the keyboard icon (bit tricky without a stylus :D )

Guest Simon Desser

Owner Name - I worked out how to do this myself :D Just exported the Owner Name reg key from another phone, and imported it into the Control Panel on the HD2 :D

Music Playback - I think it's ok with the supplied headphones using the built in Music Player, but using my own headphones with Pocket Player and Nitrogen, the music stops in standby.

Also it's a bit annoying that when in standby and the keys are locked, pressing any key turns the backlight on. (I'm sure there'll be a reg tweak to stop this)

I've also since noticed that my videos using Core Player, freeze after a few seconds but the sound carries on :)

wel finally got my HD2 this morning, took sometime to set up with email and all of that but seems pretty good so far!

a few small issues but more about getting used to new phone than the phone itself.

keyboard is awwesome to type on though for me.

Guest Simon Desser
One input method out of the box? You have QWERTY, 20 key and 12 key...?

P

Now I'm VERY confused :)

I've just done a hard reset, and now there IS only one input method??!!

post-56-1258117720_thumb.jpg

Guest paullong
Owner Name - I worked out how to do this myself :D Just exported the Owner Name reg key from another phone, and imported it into the Control Panel on the HD2 :)

Got the final answer. The HD2 gets owner name from the phone contact ME. Put your name in there and the owner name is set!

Guest mh21ttn
After a few hours of playing there's a lot of good things about the HD2 but a few little niggles and queries :)

1) Where's all my memory??? For such a beast there's a very small amount of memory assigned to storage! Program memory is large with 183mb free (out of 336??!!) but storage memory has 181mb to start with, and after installing a handfull of apps internally, I now have 65mb free storage (and I haven't even got started yet!!!)

2) Where the hell do I put my "owner name"?? I've loads of apps that need the owner name to enter the serial code but I can't for the life of me find the option to enter it??!! I've got round it by creating a new reg key in the control panel with my owner name :D (I'm probably being thick!!??)

3) The camera's focus seems hit and miss, sometimes it focuses no problem, and other times it doesn't focus, even though you put the focus marks over the subject??!!! :D

4) Music playback turns off when you press the standby key, so you can't turn the screen off or lock the keys (unless you use an app like "Device Lock" or "Mortsaver"

5) I've already run in to numerous programs and settings where it's a nightmare trying to input data using fingers, and of course a stylus isn't an option so I'm screwed :D

6) I too have encountered a fair bit of lag on the keyboard, as well as numerous wrong letters pressed, plus there's only one input method out of the box :D

1) All htc wm phones have low memory, but is not a problem, i have installed many programs and igo8 that nee Get True 5 Mega pixel Resolution When  8M internal memory and now i have 120M of memory, i buy 16G microSD, i'm fine now.

2)Enable Hidden Owner Info in Settings\Personal Folder

Go to HKLM\ControlPanel\Owner and change Hide from 1 to 0 and then reset. You can now enter your name you want to register old apps.

3)Using Camera

To get 5MP instead of 4MP resolution when using your camera, you must switch off Widescreen mode in the 'Advanced' Menu.

* Normal screen = 2592 x 1944 pixels = 5,038,848 pixels = 5MP

* Widescreen = 2592 x 1552 pixels = 4,022,784 pixels = 4MP

Get Better Video Quality When Using Camera

Use MPEG format instead of H.263 for better quality video output. This option can be found by going to the Advanced Setting from the Video Settings menu. Once there, go to Capture Format and change format if necessary.

4) Use coreplayer

5) That is multitouch, you don't need stylus (iphone owners know :D)

6) Tips to Improve Typing Accuracy on Keyboard

Tap each key very lightly and watch the keyboard as you type each letter. Don't watch the suggested words that pop up. Type at a moderate pace. Don't rush. Try the Align Screen option in the Settings/System/Screen menu. Don't press hard. Press as light as physically possible - barely touching the screen and wait at each crosshair until it moves. If you are right handed, for the middle and two right most crosshairs use your right thumb and for the left two most crosshairs use your left thumb. If you were holding the phone with both hands and wanted to touch something on the extreme left of screen you would use your left thumb would you? Also, turn on Spell Correction in Touch Input options.

See Xda, you can find anything there, and don't blame the phone before know how to use.

Ah....sorry bad english :D

Guest mh21ttn
1) memory - I know! Going from an Omnia to this, I miss My Storage!. Oh well, will have to get a 32Gb microSD

3) The camera's focus - Haven't come accross this yet.

Speaking abaut the omnia i have it to, but "my storage" is 1 thing, and internal memory is other. 

Omnia have: ROM memory, internal memory (that is the same as htc), My Storage (that is like a hard disk of pc) AND finaly sd card 

HTC: Rom, internal and sd memory.

Any program that you install need internal memory, you can install in my storage or sd card, the program need internal space for some shortcuts that hi's do. 

sorry my english

Guest Simon Desser
1) All htc wm phones have low memory, but is not a problem, i have installed many programs and igo8 that nee Get True 5 Mega pixel Resolution When 8M internal memory and now i have 120M of memory, i buy 16G microSD, i'm fine now.
Bullsh*t!! On my Touch HD I have ALL my apps (dozens and dozens) installed internally, and keep all my media on the card. On the HD2 I've only installed a handful and it's down to 54mb!!! Look at the attached screenshots. This will get sorted when Custom ROMS start appearing at XDA Devs :D

2)Enable Hidden Owner Info in Settings\Personal Folder

Go to HKLM\ControlPanel\Owner and change Hide from 1 to 0 and then reset. You can now enter your name you want to register old apps.

Yes I've done this now thankyou, I also found it at XDA Devs. :D

3)Using Camera

To get 5MP instead of 4MP resolution when using your camera, you must switch off Widescreen mode in the 'Advanced' Menu.

* Normal screen = 2592 x 1944 pixels = 5,038,848 pixels = 5MP

* Widescreen = 2592 x 1552 pixels = 4,022,784 pixels = 4MP

Get Better Video Quality When Using Camera

Use MPEG format instead of H.263 for better quality video output. This option can be found by going to the Advanced Setting from the Video Settings menu. Once there, go to Capture Format and change format if necessary.

I know how to use the Camera thanks, but it's crap! Worse than Touch HD, TD2, Touch Cruise!!! See this thread at XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...265#post4987265 :D

4) Use coreplayer
I do!!! And PocketMusic, and Pocket Player, and Nitrogen and the music stops in standby :)

5) That is multitouch, you don't need stylus (iphone owners know :D)
Exactly, and I'm saying despite HTC's best efforts, WM isn't ready to go stylus free!! :D

Tips to Improve Typing Accuracy on Keyboard....................................................
I've read all the posts and installed the cabs to improve matters at XDA developers!! :D

See Xda, you can find anything there,
As a regular custom ROM flasher I spend plenty of time at XDA Devs. B)

and don't blame the phone before know how to use.
I've used pretty much EVERY HTC WM device since the SPV in November 2002, I think I know how to use the phone as well as most people!!! :D Look at my membership number on MoDaCo, I've been around a while!!! :D

post-56-1258729242_thumb.jpg

Guest Neil5459

The Storage Memory is a puzzle- both my previous TG01 and the HD2 have ostensibly 512MB of ROM; the TG01 has 240MB free after hard reset but the HD2 only has 130MB free.

This must be down to the amount of space HTC Sense and all it's add-on consume, as there's little else different.

At least the RAM is a lot healthier- 200MB after soft reset takes a lot of filling!

I also find the keyboard accuracy poor, and even the enhanced XT9 not very good; I've reverted to my old favourite of TouchPal which is a lot better.